S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Callista View Post
    I sometimes wonder if the bolded part doesn't happen quite frequently. I wonder how many of the writers sit down and watch the finished program or go back and watch old episodes. If they don't, I would imagine it would be quite easy for them to remember what they wanted and planned rather than what we actually saw and heard along with all the little things added by the actors and the directors and the music as well as the little things subtracted by the editors and the producers. Plus, with this show we've got a whole bunch of writers...some of the later additions may never have even talked to some of the earlier writers who had already moved on...who are not necessarily trying to imply the same things, especially in regards to the different character relationships.

Just as an example, CJ apparently added that bit in "1969" about Junior eventually taking Teal'c as a host which completely disagreed with everything else we'd been told. Did the production people go back and check with the writers before allowing that in? I don't know. It probably seemed like a tiny little thing to them if they even noticed it at all, but I bet there were a couple of people in the writing room that weren't particularly pleased.

Anyway, after ten years and oodles of writers and producers and directors and several cast changes and a change of networks, there were many canon things that were changed or forgotten along the line. Heck! Many canon things got changed or forgotten after just a few years.
    This is why shows need a 'bible' so they can go back and check. Heck they could even ask the actors, after playing the characters for so long, I would think they would know them well enough.
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
      This is why shows need a 'bible' so they can go back and check. Heck they could even ask the actors, after playing the characters for so long, I would think they would know them well enough.
      Yes, the actors probably know their own characters' history better than the writers. But the actors don't necessarily sit down and watch the finished product of every show so they don't always know what we saw either. Just cutting together reaction shots in different ways can dramatically change the perceptions of the audience as can the music chosen for a scene. Are they all privy to which scenes made the cut and which didn't? (I know that at least sometimes they know, but do they always?)

I agree that a 'bible' is necessary for a show like this...at least from the viewpoint of a fan. I suppose a casual viewer doesn't really care that much if they even notice. I do find it distracting when I notice that past "facts" get changed for the purposes of a new story. (The worst example I remember is when they actually made a fake "previously on" segment for "The Sentinal" so we'd think those actors had been in "Shades of Gray".)

ETA: On second thought, that's probably not the best example, because they knew darn well they were changing facts for that because they would have had to film the new scenes.
      Last edited by Callista; 07 May 2009, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Honestly, I think S9/S10 were an AU, very close to ours, but with a slight differences, brought on by SG-1's actions in Moebius.

Remember, at the end, there were fish in Jack's pond? When Sam questioned him saying "I thought there were no fish in your pond", he responded "close enough" So, this reality is "close enough" to ours not to really matter, but slight changes could explain so many things.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
          Honestly, I think S9/S10 were an AU, very close to ours, but with a slight differences, brought on by SG-1's actions in Moebius.

Remember, at the end, there were fish in Jack's pond? When Sam questioned him saying "I thought there were no fish in your pond", he responded "close enough" So, this reality is "close enough" to ours not to really matter, but slight changes could explain so many things.
          Maybe so, but if we're allowing that, I think I'd have to start forming AU's a lot earlier on in the series. Maybe they should have just called it Stargate SG-1s right from the start.

Comment

It would be an alternate timeline, not an alternate universe.
            sigpic
            Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Hey, that works for me! And you know what? In Continuum they changed it back again, conveniently placing S9 & s10 out of our current timeline, forever. That totally explains the giant gaping hole in my DVD collection- like Vala and Teal'c, once the timeline changed, they vanished.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulkesh47 View Post
                But really what is an alternate universe, but and alternate timeline?
                sigpic

Comment

I do find it distracting when I notice that past "facts" get changed for the purposes of a new story. (The worst example I remember is when they actually made a fake "previously on" segment for "The Sentinal" so we'd think those actors had been in "Shades of Gray".)

ETA: On second thought, that's probably not the best example, because they knew darn well they were changing facts for that because they would have had to film the new scenes.
                  Why did they do that? I mean could they just not get the original 'Shades Of Grey' Actors to return or did they just re-do the previously on as an afterthought?
                  sigpic
                  Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Ulkesh47 View Post
                    Man! I hate that entire concept! Who wrote There But For The Grace Of God and started all this anyway!?!? Really, while I thought Mobius was entertaining, I did hate the implication at the end. And I even like that episode of the Simpsons, too! But all the AU and Alternate timeline episodes made me care less and less about the show. After a while it just becomes: "Everyone get killed? It doesn't matter, there are a billion other versions of them anyway. Just pick the one you like and move on."

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
                      Why did they do that? I mean could they just not get the original 'Shades Of Grey' Actors to return or did they just re-do the previously on as an afterthought?
                      I don't know, but if you watch "Shades of Grey" and then watch the 'previously on' section at the beginning of "The Sentinal" you'll see that they edited in those two characters/actors. I have no idea as to the motivation.

Comment

I don't know, but if you watch "Shades of Grey" and then watch the 'previously on' section at the beginning of "The Sentinal" you'll see that they edited in those two characters/actors. I have no idea as to the motivation.
                        Probably actor availability, or wanting certain guest actors?
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

You know, you're absolutely right. Both ATs and AUs always have a divergence point, making them basically the same thing.

Then again, maybe not all AUs have a divergence point as much as a fundamental difference in the laws of physics, or something. That's the one truly solid difference I can think of.

ATs and AUs are basically the same, but only ATs are created and sustained within our reality, if that makes any sense.
                          sigpic
                          Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                            Or one of the fans. Some people know canon inside and out.
                            sigpic "We do get paid for this, right?"

Comment

Man! I hate that entire concept! Who wrote There But For The Grace Of God and started all this anyway!?!? Really, while I thought Mobius was entertaining, I did hate the implication at the end. And I even like that episode of the Simpsons, too! But all the AU and Alternate timeline episodes made me care less and less about the show. After a while it just becomes: "Everyone get killed? It doesn't matter, there are a billion other versions of them anyway. Just pick the one you like and move on."
                              People seem to really like Mobius and I don't really understand why. I never liked it all that much.
                              sigpic "We do get paid for this, right?"

Comment

Originally posted by HPMom View Post
                                People seem to really like Mobius and I don't really understand why. I never liked it all that much.
                                I just thought it was funny. As long as I don't think about the implications too much it was enjoyable for me, especially the geeky Sam and Daniel parts. It was also nice to see a lot of old faces back again. But, that's pretty much the extent of it. I don't like the idea that it might not really be 'our' team at the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X