No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too have never seen it. Just hearing about it was enough.

Note that not only did I hear about the movies from people that tend to hold a similar opinion to me on S9-S10 (upset over them), but also from someone who was generally apathetic about the season (neither really liking or hating it) and from someone who liked the season. So I feel like I got a good spectrum of opinions and there were plenty of parts that were explained the same way but nothing any of them said made me think "gosh I need to see that". Mostly I was thinking "@#$%^& how did they ruin such a great franchise?"
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

In the past I have never really put much thought into s9/10 being worse than 1-8
      i had always enjoyed them differently - even thought of them as nearly 2 sepreat tv shows

just now i watched back to back 3 hours of season 10
      my god am i actually glad it ended! i can't believe i'm saying that but if i have to watch anymore storylines where Vala is a huge role and if shes not part of the story they MAKE her part of it - i will go insane

never have i seen such a boring character - the 'humour' she added was fun for what, one episode? after that it felt like the same joke over and over - and trying to show more serious sides to her - did nothing to make me like her as a character

fine as a guest character but if i was on that base with her, i would have killed Vala
      CONSTANT comments about how she use to be a theif etc, YES i think the audience get this already
      "What we need now is a tactical retreat. Did you see the episode on Stargate where they found themselves on a planet with a culture based loosely on Earth Athens and Sparta?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bee11 View Post
        In the past I have never really put much thought into s9/10 being worse than 1-8
        i had always enjoyed them differently - even thought of them as nearly 2 sepreat tv shows

just now i watched back to back 3 hours of season 10
        my god am i actually glad it ended! i can't believe i'm saying that but if i have to watch anymore storylines where Vala is a huge role and if shes not part of the story they MAKE her part of it - i will go insane

never have i seen such a boring character - the 'humour' she added was fun for what, one episode? after that it felt like the same joke over and over - and trying to show more serious sides to her - did nothing to make me like her as a character

fine as a guest character but if i was on that base with her, i would have killed Vala
        CONSTANT comments about how she use to be a theif etc, YES i think the audience get this already

The problem was Coop adored CB so much, he HAD to have her on the show...it didn't matter if the character made sense or not
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
          The problem was Coop adored CB so much, he HAD to have her on the show...it didn't matter if the character made sense or not
          She would have worked in my opinion anyway, as a guest character so there was no need to FORCE her on the audience and I am quite annoyed she was in unending
          I know there are alot of people who don't like Cam but I like him and well he was the new SG 1 leader so I can understand him being there
          but HER? What did she have that contributed to the team in anyway?
          It is the last episode - most people I'm sure would have liked the classic team back and it would have been nice to of had Jack stuck with them on the ship
          "What we need now is a tactical retreat. Did you see the episode on Stargate where they found themselves on a planet with a culture based loosely on Earth Athens and Sparta?"

Comment

She would have worked in my opinion anyway, as a guest character so there was no need to FORCE her on the audience and I am quite annoyed she was in unending
            I know there are alot of people who don't like Cam but I like him and well he was the new SG 1 leader so I can understand him being there
            It is the last episode - most people I'm sure would have liked the classic team back and it would have been nice to of had Jack stuck with them on the ship
            But he had no business being leader when he had no experience and replaced an officer who not only had the experience but also already had the job!

Ignoring canon and sexism raise my hackles. Grrr!
            sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
            May we all be so well loved.

Comment

I'm with scifithinker, there was absolutely no need for Mitchell to be team leader. Have an idiotic hothead as a new junior team member, it might have shaken things up a bit, but to ignore Carter and just slap a very poor man's O'Neill as team leader destroyed the team dynamics.

Vala was just an abomination. To give her the huge amount of screen time they did makes we wonder why the men in white coats weren't called. They had to be called to my house after watching s10

Comment

Originally posted by humanityspotential View Post
                I'm with scifithinker, there was absolutely no need for Mitchell to be team leader. Have an idiotic hothead as a new junior team member, it might have shaken things up a bit, but to ignore Carter and just slap a very poor man's O'Neill as team leader destroyed the team dynamics.

Vala was just an abomination. To give her the huge amount of screen time they did makes we wonder why the men in white coats weren't called. They had to be called to my house after watching s10
                And you only now can post? That's a long time. Just kidding.

Mitchell makes my teeth hurt. And not because I'm sweet on him. From grinding them. I was predisposed to likeing the character and still they managed to destroy it.

Vala, if I manage to ignore her introduction in S9, I can tolerate in miniscule doses. She was much better for me when they dropped the sexual innuendo. I really wish they hadn't dropped her IQ though. I liked Qetesh.

The enemy was b(ori)ng.

suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                  And you only now can post? That's a long time. Just kidding.

I bough my complete series DVD's and watched s9 & 10 (these weren't broadcast in Australia) If you must know I must have been a little nutty to begin with because I watched every episode. Guess it's like watching something burn down, it was mesmerising.

As for Vala. You can't make the designated 'sexy' character smart as well. That's just too much. Sam is gorgeous and smart but they put her in military fatigues so as not to confuse us simple minded folk too much.

The whole Ori thing wasn't so much boring as really irritating. The ancients were interesting until we actually met some and they lost their mystique and overall 'coolness'.

The Lucien Alliance had the most potential and even though a complete failure was a least slightly more interesting. I liked the whole idea of a group coming up to fill the power vacuum left by the system lords. At least we weren't dealing with beings on another plain of existence whose top followers have superpowers, yet really bad skin. And don't get me started on the 'hiding people in another dimension' thing.

Comment

Oh, don't get me started on Vala, either. They completely lost any pretensions to being a crack military team when she joined. I kept thinking to myself that Jack would have kept her off the team come hell or high water.

It's not coincidence he was as far as he could get from her in Continuum. I've heard people say they really would liked to have seen them interact more and i just have to laugh. There's a reason why that never happened, and never will.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                      Oh, don't get me started on Vala, either. They completely lost any pretensions to being a crack military team when she joined. I kept thinking to myself that Jack would have kept her off the team come hell or high water.

It's not coincidence he was as far as he could get from her in Continuum. I've heard people say they really would liked to have seen them interact more and i just have to laugh. There's a reason why that never happened, and never will.
                      Yep, especially if they want to keep Jack in character...hell he would never have opened the iris for her in the first place.
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                        Yep, especially if they want to keep Jack in character...hell he would never have opened the iris for her in the first place.
                        Right. There's always a chance he won't be in character. And although I don't care for how his personality has changed since Season 8, i don't think he's changed enough to be able to tolerate her.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post

I almost puked when she was given her SG-1 patch and then justifing it by having Sam say she deserved it. What a joke.
                          Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                            I almost puked when she was given her SG-1 patch and then justifing it by having Sam say she deserved it. What a joke.
                            Shudder Don't remind me. They were trying to force us to accept her by putting s-stuff in like that but it had the reverse affect on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                              I HATED that scene with a passion. What exactly did she do to 'deserve' it.

Let's see. Teal'c joined SG1 because he had an intimate knowledge of the operations of the System lords and was military trained. Teyla joined the Atlantis team because she had intimate knowledge of many worlds in Pegasus, experience with the Wraith and combat training. Ronon was allowed to join because he had military training, world was destroyed/nowhere to go etc.

Vala's occupation = thief. They allow her back to Earth to find Ancient treasure. She then binds herself to a team member with serious consequences. She sacrifices herself to destroy the supergate OK, that's nice of her.

Then her return in S10 - she gives birth to Adria. Next episode she's undergoing psych evaluation to join the Stargate program. What?!?!?! So she had some limited knowledge of what the Ori were planning, how does that lead to being accepted as a member of the SGC. She then goes on to feature heavily in the rest of the season.

I haven't had the time to read every page on this thread, but were they deliberately trying to drive fans away?

Comment

Originally posted by humanityspotential View Post
                                II haven't had the time to read every page on this thread, but were they deliberately trying to drive fans away?
                                That's one theory.

It was downright insulting to the original team and to viewers.

Oh, and don't get me started on Daniel trying to make a case comparing Vala and Teal'c. Oh, and he goes in there on his own and I had no sense the rest of the team was behind him on it. They could have had a team conversation about the idea where they laid out the pros and cons.
                                Oh, I forgot--this was one of the seasons where the viewer was expected to fill in the blanks for holes in the plot and logic and common sense...or to simply not notice. We're simple folk who just like Explosions! right?

Comment

Working...
                                X