S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melora View Post
    All of this discussion on this episode actually made me want to watch it again to see if I actually liked it as well as I remembered. So I pulled out the DVD today and watched the ep with the commentary ( I got the set for Christmas - I swear I didn't buy it myself).

Guess who came up with the idea to add the "Cam Mitchell, Bounty Hunter" part of the ep?

Guess who suggested the idea to have Vala beam the bad guy out of the ship and wave to him as he floated by?

And guess who came up with the line, "Damn you, Cam Mitchell"?

I'll give you a hint. It wasn't the credited writer of the episode, Alan McCullough. His original pitch only had the Odyssey being hijacked by the Lucian Alliance and the team being sent to rescue it.

It was none other than:
    Spoiler:
    Robert C. Cooper

Why am I not surprised? I was just amazed that most of the bad things about the ep that people listed can be attributed to one person.

I sort of feel sorry for Alan McCullough. He has written some of the best eps for SGA this season, so he is obviously a talented writer. He also seems to come up with some good story ideas. From listening to the commentaries, it just sounds like most of his story ideas/scripts were completely torn up, reworked, and put back together by the other writers. And he had to let them b/c he was the newbie.
    Now that is sad, but not surprising I guess Coop just had to make sure all the episodes had his mark of humour in them. Very painful
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

All of this discussion on this episode actually made me want to watch it again to see if I actually liked it as well as I remembered. So I pulled out the DVD today and watched the ep with the commentary ( I got the set for Christmas - I swear I didn't buy it myself).

Guess who came up with the idea to add the "Cam Mitchell, Bounty Hunter" part of the ep?

Guess who suggested the idea to have Vala beam the bad guy out of the ship and wave to him as he floated by?

And guess who came up with the line, "Damn you, Cam Mitchell"?

I'll give you a hint. It wasn't the credited writer of the episode, Alan McCullough. His original pitch only had the Odyssey being hijacked by the Lucian Alliance and the team being sent to rescue it.

It was none other than:
      Spoiler:
      Robert C. Cooper

Why am I not surprised? I was just amazed that most of the bad things about the ep that people listed can be attributed to one person.

I sort of feel sorry for Alan McCullough. He has written some of the best eps for SGA this season, so he is obviously a talented writer. He also seems to come up with some good story ideas. From listening to the commentaries, it just sounds like most of his story ideas/scripts were completely torn up, reworked, and put back together by the other writers. And he had to let them b/c he was the newbie.
      So it is more of a show runner issue then the writers. That makes sense as a lot of these writers contributed when the show was great and even contribute to SGA which has its moments and rarely (but sometimes) reaches the horribleness that was S9-S10 and the cpy movie that followed.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
        Now that is sad, but not surprising I guess Coop just had to make sure all the episodes had his mark of humour in them. Very painful
        what is sad is that Coop actually wrote very good episodes in the early seasons of SG-1...
        I mean, if he always had been bad, it would have been pathetically logical; but this change is pathetically shameful...

Comment

Originally posted by Arga View Post
          what is sad is that Coop actually wrote very good episodes in the early seasons of SG-1...
          I mean, if he always had been bad, it would have been pathetically logical; but this change is pathetically shameful...
          It actually raises a question :

Are you a good writer if you only write well under supervision?????
          -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
            It actually raises a question :

Are you a good writer if you only write well under supervision?????
            I think RCC is still a good writer, or at least has the potential to be once again. I just think he became a little obsessed with his vision. He decided to take SG-1 down this path and everything that stood in the way of his vision was sacrificed. Unfortunately for him, this new vision he got carried away by was not true to what Stargate SG-1 had previously been about. IMHO, it wasn't a very interesting vision anyway.

It makes me think of the Star Wars franchise. I adore the original movies (even if they are a bit dated now). They had engaging characters, interesting plots, and lots of action to keep everything moving forward.

The most recent trilogy lacked all of those things IMHO. The movies came across as flat, despite having some of the best actors in the business. I think part of the problem with those movies is that George Lucas put his vision for the entire story arc before the actual characters and individual plots of each movie. He also became more concerned with how the movies looked rather than the story they were telling. I actually see a lot of similarities to the SG situation.

Comment

This recent line of discussion has brought me out of lurkdom to post a quote I think quite appropriate for this discussion on Cooper and his version of SG-?

"WHEN LITTLE MEN CAST BIG SHADOWS YOU KNOW THE SUN IS ABOUT TO SET." Paul Henry

Comment

it SEEMS that coop does his best work when he has someone to 'edit' or 'advise' him on it.

he seems to work better as the advisee not advisor
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  it SEEMS that coop does his best work when he has someone to 'edit' or 'advise' him on it.

he seems to work better as the advisee not advisor
                  And it's a shame we had to learn this the hard way
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

To tell the truth, this is one of the few eps that I actually liked in Season 10. If I can ignore the undercover Cam story, and the pointless Teal'c torture, and Vala and Daniel joined at the hip all the time, and....

Okay, maybe I was being too generous. I only like the scenes on the ship with Sam, Emerson, and the evil guy.
                    Well it would certainly be a time saver to only watch those elements. You could finish the episode in what?--ten minutes?

Comment

Ahh, the Reader's Digest version...
                      sigpic

Comment

I see MS is going to make guest appearances on Atlantis next season. I wonder if it will be as Daniel or Jackson? Is it too much to hope that Daniel returns to being Daniel?

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                          I see MS is going to make guest appearances on Atlantis next season. I wonder if it will be as Daniel or Jackson? Is it too much to hope that Daniel returns to being Daniel?
                          Only time will tell but...but....Woolsey
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

my thoughts exactly.
                            Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

what is the connection with Woolsey? I don't understand...

Comment

what is the connection with Woolsey? I don't understand...
                                The press release announced Woolsey as the new leader of SGA as well as Danel being in a few episodes
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X