S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
    Just saw Continuum with my wife last night. We borrowed it from her parents.

...which means that I don't regret not buying it.

In short? It was OK, but I'm not really all that interested in repeat viewing. Certainly not as long as I have Season 4 on DVD.

Good/Bad in spoilers for good form:
    Spoiler:

Good:
    *Interesting riff on time travel and AU stuff (despite not quite jiving with existing canon). I actually liked Mitchell in this one. Yeah, the final resolution is a bit of a Hewo moment for Cam, but surprisingly, it didn't feel as forced as previous attempts. I've always wanted to like Cam (BB is a good guy), and this time, I didn't have to work to do so.
    *Ba'al is perhaps the most interesting Gou'ald, because he's not as over the top as the typical miniMongol. The phone call was especially entertaining.
    *Quetesh was actually pretty well done. Certainly more interesting than Vala... though Vala's comments at the beginning were some of her best lines ever
    *[qualified] Jack! It left me wanting more Jack, though. More Hammond would have been nice, too, but it was really good to see Don S. Davis again. Whatzhisfritz as the president was good again, too.
    *Beau Bridges was good in this, too; his character (I can't think of his name, I didn't like S9/10 that much) was stronger and had some great lines.

Bad:
    *Typical movie escalation; "darker, edgier, bloodier". Call me a squeamish prude, but the execution of Apophis, and the first three executions of Ba'al (I didn't mind seeing the snake keel over) were completely uncalled for. They fit squarely in the AoT Replizombie corner of "stupid teenage schlock". Wee kan do bloodz nao!
    *Profanity... again typical. When will Hollywood (and/or America) realize that swearing doesn't make you "cooler" or "more real", it demonstrates ignorance, immaturity and incontinence.
    *Dogfighting... I really wanted those Russian MIGs to have their heroic screen time with a complete rout of the Jaffa fighters. What we saw was good... but come on, even just another 15 seconds showing the Russians cleaning the deck would have been excellent
    *Cold Weather Gear! Seriously, why wait until after the C4 explosion to look for that? OK, I can excuse Sam being a bit shell shocked, but the other two? Getting slow in your old age, guys.

So yeah, fun stuff... but it left me wanting to go back to Season 4-7, rather than wanting to go forward from here. Methinketh that's not necessarily what they were going for.
    Bought the movie for my son's b-day. Should have rented it because we will probably never rewatch it.

Spoiler:

The ending was sooooo predictable. Even though it was great seeing RDA, I just wished they would actually write something intelligent for our timeline Jack to say. .
    Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Yeah the writers needed to go back to the early seasons to see what kind of character Jack *really* is--not all the dumbification we got too often in the later seasons.

Comment

SG1 S9-S10 stunk up the place and destroyed a great show and then got it cancelled.
        Stargate Atlantis S5 has been cancelled (dont know if its been good or not as I lost interest on about the second ep... I have DVRd some but have not watched those...wonder if that counts as "ratings").

Now they will start a stargate show.....without a stargate. I say it goes for less eps then the B5 spinnoff and have a lesser quality..... but we will see. Its amazing that MGM\Scifi insist on going with the same production staff though....
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
          SG1 S9-S10 stunk up the place and destroyed a great show and then got it cancelled.
          Stargate Atlantis S5 has been cancelled (dont know if its been good or not as I lost interest on about the second ep... I have DVRd some but have not watched those...wonder if that counts as "ratings").

Now they will start a stargate show.....without a stargate. I say it goes for less eps then the B5 spinnoff and have a lesser quality..... but we will see. Its amazing that MGM\Scifi insist on going with the same production staff though....
          SGA to me anyways, was stinking about season 3. Season 4 and 5 have gone AU far as I'm concerned.

SGU...Oh, the more I read the more I want to see it. Not cause I think it will be good...though I could be pleasantly surprised...I just want to see if it's as bad as everyone thinks it will be.
          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

We could watch it specifically to heckle.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
              that's my plan. Need fresh material to mock anyways. lol

Comment

Oooh Mystery Science Theatre time?

But really, with Coop involved I don't hold out much hope for the series...but then I've reached the stage where I don't really care. Which I think is worse than those fans who are angry, b/c if they are still angry, they still have a passion for the show...me, I've got nothin.
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

One of the stated goals of SGU is to attract younger viewers. I think SG1 and SGA both attempted this with the additions of Vala and Keller. If SGU is going to be populated with those types of characters, I'm not interested.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                    that's my plan. Need fresh material to mock anyways. lol
                    Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                    My thoughts exactly!!

But really, with Coop involved I don't hold out much hope for the series...but then I've reached the stage where I don't really care. Which I think is worse than those fans who are angry, b/c if they are still angry, they still have a passion for the show...me, I've got nothin.
                    I thought I had reached the meh stage but then a friend started talking about how ridiculous Stargate was (they had only recently seen some of S9) and I found myself getting angry again. I seriously don't understand how anyone could destroy a show like that.

Gees, if I think S9 was bad I hate to think what SGU is going to be like

But on the plus side - I no longer have any expectations of Stargate (in any incarnation) being any good so I can only be happily surprised if it ever is.
                    -

Comment

I still get angry when I think of what S9-S10 did to the reputation of the classic SG-1. I don't get too worked up over Atlantis or the new series. In fact I hope they are successful enough that they never make another SG-1 movie (unless they are going to go back to classic SG-1 focusing on the classic characters and realizing the Asgard are still alive). I would like the damage to SG-1 to stop... feel free to destroy SGA and make yourselves (Mgm\bridge) look like bigger losers with Universe.*

*of course there are some people there that helped with classic SG-1 so if they were in charge it is within the realm of possiblity that Universe will be OK.... I wont be watching it, but it may be fine......but I doubt it.
                      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                        I still get angry when I think of what S9-S10 did to the reputation of the classic SG-1. I don't get too worked up over Atlantis or the new series. In fact I hope they are successful enough that they never make another SG-1 movie (unless they are going to go back to classic SG-1 focusing on the classic characters and realizing the Asgard are still alive). I would like the damage to SG-1 to stop... feel free to destroy SGA and make yourselves (Mgm\bridge) look like bigger losers with Universe.*

*of course there are some people there that helped with classic SG-1 so if they were in charge it is within the realm of possiblity that Universe will be OK.... I wont be watching it, but it may be fine......but I doubt it.
                        See, it's Coop that really makes me wary. He may have been there since the beginning of SG1, but it wasn't until he became an executive producer and was out on his own, that the show really started to suffer. He even poked his nose in Continuum, giving advice that took out character moments for Sam
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

SGU will lack the expertise of Gekko and that in itself makes me think it's a new Mystery Theater 3000 or worse...Red Dwarf type series. Except MST3000 and RD actually were mocking for fun. With Stargate tptb have become so series about themselves they lack any real insight into what fans really want or the ability to QA.

Since coops incarnation of stagate, followed by JM's abilities to manage a series I no longer see the recent and current seasons as "stargate" but as some mocking sci-fi comedy hour.

"Real" stargate...stargate under Gekko is a time worthy masterpiece that will hold up for generations.

"AU stargate"...not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post

FTW.

Yeah, I'm very "Meh" about the whole thing. Which means I won't bother.

I did the Mystery Science Theatre thing for S9/S10. I'm over it.

suse
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

So the past few years we have seen both SG-1 and Atlantis cancelled. Now these same guys are in charge of a 3rd series? Sci-fi must be seriously nuts.
                              Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                                So the past few years we have seen both SG-1 and Atlantis cancelled. Now these same guys are in charge of a 3rd series? Sci-fi must be seriously nuts.
                                Nah, it's the new business model. See: Angelo Mozilo. "Gee, your company screwed thousands of people over, lost millions of dollars, and pretty much precipitated a housing and banking crash. Congratulations! Have some stock options and a raise!"
                                Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                                http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

Working...
                                X