No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They really should have ended with season eight. It would have been great. The Goa'uld are gone, the replicators are gone, Earth has the outpost in Antartica and Battlecruisers to defend itself. O'Neill, Carter, Daniel Jackson and Teal'C goes fishing, now that all direct threats to Earth itself are gone. But then, they had to go and make seasons 9 and 10, which really screwed it all up; Ba'al clones (an almost endless amount) and the Ori. Then they seemed to have run out of new stories. Watch the season 9 episode "The Powers That Be", it's the same story as the first season episode "Cor-ai", only that it was Vala and not Teal'C that was put on trail for crimes against the people of a planet. Then I watched the two Stargate SG-1 movies, which were rather boring and the problems of seasons 9 & 10 were fixed too easy, if you ask me.

Comment

And Teal'c actually took responsibility and showed what a great character he was while Vala proved more that she only cares about herself unless shes backed into a corner and doesnt belong in the SGC for any length of time let alone as an actual member of SG-1. She enslaved people of her own free will to steal their money and then tricked gullible Camshaft into going back to the planet so she could rescue her money. The producers showed they think slavery is cute and funny.

Cori was a respectful and serious episode while the other ep was a joke ep losely based on it in an attempt to further "prove" that Vala is like Teal'c proving that RCC has no grasp of the Teal'c character at all.

Wow, see I can still be bitter when I think about it.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
        And Teal'c actually took responsibility and showed what a great character he was while Vala proved more that she only cares about herself unless shes backed into a corner and doesnt belong in the SGC for any length of time let alone as an actual member of SG-1. She enslaved people of her own free will to steal their money and then tricked gullible Camshaft into going back to the planet so she could rescue her money. The producers showed they think slavery is cute and funny.

Cori was a respectful and serious episode while the other ep was a joke ep losely based on it in an attempt to further "prove" that Vala is like Teal'c proving that RCC has no grasp of the Teal'c character at all.

IIRC Teal'c along with Sam were Brad's characters, and at the time Coop was just a writer, so he had to do what Brad and Glassner wanted done...hence the maturity was greater. When Coop took over as showrunner (biggest mistake in SG history IMO) the show's maturity went down the tubes. And we got stuck with immature humour as well as characters that didn't have any good reason for being on the show. If you look at Continuum, Brad actually wrote CB's part as Quetesh quite well...I thought Quetesh was a great character and actually fit into the show. Too bad he didn't do anything about Mitchell
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I have to thank the people posting in this thread for saving me from buying Season 9 and 10. I'm not kidding, I've caught a couple of eps on TV and a couple more I got from itunes but that was all I needed to know you were right.

Originally posted by Mac Jackson View Post
          I would love it if it does happen Tammy. At the time I spoke to him he had yet to see the episode(being in Canada where Sci-Fi didn't air) and was shocked when I told him how the episode was edited. "Really? They filmed 1/2 hour or 45 mins worth dealing with all of that". It breaks my heart to think of what we should/could have seen.
          This is just about enough to make me cry. I wonder if they'll use some of it in the next sg-1 movie, since it's supposed to be more about Jack? One thing that occurred to me- and this includes Continuum- is that at least half of the screen time RDA had since Season 8 was actually *not real*- it was AU or imaginary or hallucinations.

Talk about a waste of time. We never find out what is really going on with the leading character from the first 8 seasons, and then his appearances have no lasting impact on the story whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
            IIRC Teal'c along with Sam were Brad's characters, and at the time Coop was just a writer, so he had to do what Brad and Glassner wanted done...hence the maturity was greater. When Coop took over as showrunner (biggest mistake in SG history IMO) the show's maturity went down the tubes. And we got stuck with immature humour as well as characters that didn't have any good reason for being on the show. If you look at Continuum, Brad actually wrote CB's part as Quetesh quite well...I thought Quetesh was a great character and actually fit into the show. Too bad he didn't do anything about Mitchell
            There was nothing to do about Mitchell. The dye was cast. At least with using Quetesh there was an out.

Though I still can't believe they thought the S9 'miniseries' Vala was a great idea, even though they had to noticably tone her down in S10 to make her 'work" in THEIR opinion, not mine in the story.

suse
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.
            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Oh wow, I lost track of this thread.

I believe RC edited the scenes for Jack but still can't believe he would make such a dumb move.

It was like they just erased all of seasons 1-8. Or more accurately, threw the SG-1 label on another show.
              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                Oh wow, I lost track of this thread.

I believe RC edited the scenes for Jack but still can't believe he would make such a dumb move.

It was like they just erased all of seasons 1-8. Or more accurately, threw the SG-1 label on another show.
                And according to RCC, they did just that. Throw the SG-1 label on another show.

suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                  I have to thank the people posting in this thread for saving me from buying Season 9 and 10. I'm not kidding, I've caught a couple of eps on TV and a couple more I got from itunes but that was all I needed to know you were right.

You should at least watch each episode once, just so you can say you've seen it. And there are a few good episodes.
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                    You should at least watch each episode once, just so you can say you've seen it. And there are a few good episodes.
                    I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you. I did watch every ep of S9 & 10 (desperately hoping it would return to it's roots) and in my opinion there were no good episodes. There were a few good moments in a few episodes though, mostly S10, but to be honest I'll have to rack my brain to think which ones they were (I'll definitely not damage my psyche by deliberately rewatching any complete episode ).

S9 - the year RCC destroyed Stargate and produced the worst season
                    S10 - the year damage control was invoked to produce the most Meh season

and of course it was everyone else's fault but RCC's

Yep, I guess I'm still bitter too AGF
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post

I couldn't have said it better myself. Cor'ai dealt with Teal'c's past in a serious and adult way. As General Hammond said, Teal'c was basically a repentant war crimminal. This was a dicey issue handled in a mature way.

Rather than dealing with Vala's deeds in any serious way--maybe she did do what she did out of desperation--they played it for laughs. Many Vala defenders talk about how her OTT innuendo was a defense mechanism etc. but I think that's stuff that we as an audience were left to interpret for ourselves to try to make her tolerable. With the ample screen time they gave her they could have had quite developed her character in the process.
                      Instead they thought it was all a big joke.

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                      Good point. Some episodes I like in the early seasons credit RCC as the writer, but perhaps it's b/c he was implementing BW & JG's vision.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post

Good point. Some episodes I like in the early seasons credit RCC as the writer, but perhaps it's b/c he was implementing BW & JG's vision.
                        That is because the producers (RDA, JG and Gekko) had authority over the quality of the production. When RDA left and took his production company with him, the last two seasons started a very fast downward spiral.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                          I know myself well enough to know what I'm going to like and not like since I have a really, really high threshold for liking TV shows. That's why I never saw a single episode of Stargate live, except maybe Unending- I think it was the Stargate advertising blitz/marathon at the end of the series that finally got my attention, because I don't watch TV very often. All I remember was seeing James Spader as Daniel and I think I got up from the couch ten hours later.

Anyway, reading the reviews is enough for me. I never watch anything just to say I did. I really just don't care. I've actually gone to the transcripts to figure out something I didn't know in a short amount of time rather than watch an episode.

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                          I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you. I did watch every ep of S9 & 10 (desperately hoping it would return to it's roots) and in my opinion there were no good episodes. There were a few good moments in a few episodes though, mostly S10, but to be honest I'll have to rack my brain to think which ones they were (I'll definitely not damage my psyche by deliberately rewatching any complete episode ).

S9 - the year RCC destroyed Stargate and produced the worst season
                          S10 - the year damage control was invoked to produce the most Meh season

and of course it was everyone else's fault but RCC's

Yep, I guess I'm still bitter too AGF
                          THe way I look at it, I don't want to damage my psyche, either. I'm perfectly happy with the little world of Stargate I've constructed for myself. And I have watched some of it, just didn't like the changes at all.

I haven't seen AoT, either, and don't intend to. Not even if someone gave it to me. After all, I bought the entire ten-season box set as a gift for someone else and never even peeked at the Season 9 and 10 discs, nor have I asked to borrow them. Maybe when it's all said and done and the movies are over I'll think about it.

Comment

I'm a major re-watcher of Stargate. I practically have S1-8 memorized. The fact that I've watched AoT exactly once is pretty telling...

Comment

I'm a major re-watcher of Stargate. I practically have S1-8 memorized. The fact that I've watched AoT exactly once is pretty telling...
                              That's once more than me!

Comment

Yeah, I've only seen it once as well. I have to watch everything Stargate related once just to say that I did. But I have no need to ever watch it again.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X