S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
    Ok, I sometimes think I'm being too hard on S9 & 10 & then I rewatch an episode. In "Company of Thieves" besides the "Cam Mitchell bounty hunter" show aspect (which I fast forwarded through--a story on the ship would have actually been enough imho),
    Daniel Jackson was not only a jerk but stupid. Vala is trying to get the beaming tech to work to beam Sam out of danger. Jackson is busy nagging & distracting her. "Did you get it? We don't have much time? Do you have it?" etc. I wanted her to smack him or at least tell him to shut up. Now wouldn't you think distracting her during a tricky operation like that when a *team member's* life is at stake is justifiably called stupid?

I honestly can't bring myself to re-watch it. My medications aren't that strong.
    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Ok, I sometimes think I'm being too hard on S9 & 10 & then I rewatch an episode. In "Company of Thieves" besides the "Cam Mitchell bounty hunter" show aspect (which I fast forwarded through--a story on the ship would have actually been enough imho),
      Daniel Jackson was not only a jerk but stupid. Vala is trying to get the beaming tech to work to beam Sam out of danger. Jackson is busy nagging & distracting her. "Did you get it? We don't have much time? Do you have it?" etc. I wanted her to smack him or at least tell him to shut up. Now wouldn't you think distracting her during a tricky operation like that when a *team member's* life is at stake is justifiably called stupid?
      All I have to do is see a picture or hear about S9-S10 to make me realize how crpy it was.

Of course THEN I see Classic eps like Fair Game and I get happy chills and remember how awesome this show can be. THOR!!!! and the REAL Daniel Jackson!!!

Poo-wii on S9-S10 I say .... Yay for Classic Stargate SG-1 it will live for ever!!!
      Last edited by AGateFan; 01 February 2008, 02:05 PM.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Ok, I sometimes think I'm being too hard on S9 & 10 & then I rewatch an episode. In "Company of Thieves" [...]

hmmm, it's kind of revealing that when I read a title from the last 2 seasons, I don't immediately know which episode it is, until I read the synopsis...

Comment

Originally posted by Arga View Post
          hmmm, it's kind of revealing that when I read a title from the last 2 seasons, I don't immediately know which episode it is, until I read the synopsis...

And then there are those that are burnt into the memory as being so bad that they are the Starship Troopers movie of the Stargate Universe.

Like Stronghold and Off the Grid. <<shudder>>

suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.
          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
            And then there are those that are burnt into the memory as being so bad that they are the Starship Troopers movie of the Stargate Universe.

suse
            Be careful with those shudders; they're as contagious as yawns.

Can I rip Mitchell a new one? Please? Pretty please?
            sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
            May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
              All I have to do is see a picture or hear about S9-S10 to make me realize how crpy it was.

Of course THEN I see Classic eps like Fair Game and I get happy chills and remember how awesome this show can be. THOR!!!! and the REAL Daniel Jackson!!!

Poo-wii on S9-S10 I say .... Yay for Classic Stargate SG-1 it will live for ever!!!
              It was cool...especially Jack trying to play politics. Carter proved the one goa'uld was lying, Daniel...was Daniel and not action jackson. Ah, the real stargate.

suse
              Season 9 and 10 was Stargate troopers to the par. *shuddering still*
              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                Be careful with those shudders; they're as contagious as yawns.

Can I rip Mitchell a new one? Please? Pretty please?
                If TPTB weren't so interested in promoting their new LMAH as Da Bestest Evah they'd have had Sam (as *commander* of the mission on which he was lately included) rip him the new one. How utterly ridiculous. Or at least Landry.

S9 gives me a headache. S10 is better, but not that much better.

suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

What?!!? I'm shocked. How can you not love a episode with the best line in Stargate ever?

"Damn you, Cam Mitchell!"

I laugh every time I hear that one. Come to think of it, that might not be a good thing for an episode that was supposed to be dark and serious.

To tell the truth, this is one of the few eps that I actually liked in Season 10. If I can ignore the undercover Cam story, and the pointless Teal'c torture, and Vala and Daniel joined at the hip all the time, and....

Okay, maybe I was being too generous. I only like the scenes on the ship with Sam, Emerson, and the evil guy. Rudolf Martin is so good at playing creepy characters (loved him on NCIS). I really don't understand why they chose to include the Cam "B" story. If they needed a "B" story, I wish they had come up with something a bit less campy so it would balance out the more serious "A" story on the ship. The two story lines just didn't mesh well IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Melora View Post
                    What?!!? I'm shocked. How can you not love a episode with the best line in Stargate ever?

"Damn you, Cam Mitchell!"

I laugh every time I hear that one. Come to think of it, that might not be a good thing for an episode that was supposed to be dark and serious.

To tell the truth, this is one of the few eps that I actually liked in Season 10. If I can ignore the undercover Cam story, and the pointless Teal'c torture, and Vala and Daniel joined at the hip all the time, and....

Okay, maybe I was being too generous. I only like the scenes on the ship with Sam, Emerson, and the evil guy. Rudolf Martin is so good at playing creepy characters (loved him on NCIS). I really don't understand why they chose to include the Cam "B" story. If they needed a "B" story, I wish they had come up with something a bit less campy so it would balance out the more serious "A" story on the ship. The two story lines just didn't mesh well IMO.
                    What an awfull quote. You might laugh. My blood boils at what SG-1 was reduced to when I see poo like that.

Agreed about the camp juxposed against a decent story.

Wasn't this one the one where they beamed the bad guy into space and Action Jackson *waved* at him? (Mini-RDA, in your dreams bud)

suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

What an awfull quote. You might laugh. My blood boils at what SG-1 was reduced to when I see poo like that.

Agreed about the camp juxposed against a decent story.
                      My laughter was more of the "I can't believe they actually wrote that" variety than my being truly amused.

Wasn't this one the one where they beamed the bad guy into space and Action Jackson *waved* at him? (Mini-RDA, in your dreams bud)
                      suse
                      Yep. Such a terrifically evil bad guy and he just becomes space flotsam with Daniel waving at him through the window. It was quite anticlimactic. I would have loved to see Sam kick his butt for killing Emerson. The serious nature of the story was sacrificed too many times for the cheap laugh, unfortunately.

Comment

My laughter was more of the "I can't believe they actually wrote that" variety than my being truly amused.

Yep. Such a terrifically evil bad guy and he just becomes space flotsam with Daniel waving at him through the window. It was quite anticlimactic. I would have loved to see Sam kick his butt for killing Emerson. The serious nature of the story was sacrificed too many times for the cheap laugh, unfortunately.
                        The line quoted reminds me of the Uma Thurman "CURSES" line in that really really bad batman movie with Mr Freeze. Lines like that just highlight the badness of such bad shows.
                        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                          The line quoted reminds me of the Uma Thurman "CURSES" line in that really really bad batman movie with Mr Freeze. Lines like that just highlight the badness of such bad shows.
                          That was a terrible movie, wasn't it?

Seasons 9 and 10 had so many bad lines it isn't funny. This one just stands out in my mind as one of the worst. We could even start a contest over in the fun and games section - The ten worst lines from Seasons 9 and 10. It would be hard to limit it to just ten though.

Comment

I know. I wasn't even that forgiving though. No laughter here.

That could be the motto for S9/S10.

Sam kicking butt would have meant the girl being actiony. Something I don't recall either gal really being. The action stuff is the perview of the LMAH, not that one they 'don't know what to do with'.

Momento Mori does *not* count. That had the worst stunt cuts of the whole *series*. It was truly the fist time I've laughed at the production cuts. I was at the very slender Vala arms and legs - not seeing as attached to the body - throwing men 3 times her size around. And we won't even get into the Cambo acting like Evel Kanevel with that wheelie.

suse
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

That was a terrible movie, wasn't it?

Seasons 9 and 10 had so many bad lines it isn't funny. This one just stands out in my mind as one of the worst. We could even start a contest over in the fun and games section - The ten worst lines from Seasons 9 and 10. It would be hard to limit it to just ten though.

That would mean me having to recall S9/S10 in much more detail than I wish. Though you could always do a Top Ten Worst Lines in S9/S10. So more can be nominated. But I forsee trouble with certain agenda...

suse
                              sigpic
                              Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

All of this discussion on this episode actually made me want to watch it again to see if I actually liked it as well as I remembered. So I pulled out the DVD today and watched the ep with the commentary ( I got the set for Christmas - I swear I didn't buy it myself).

Guess who came up with the idea to add the "Cam Mitchell, Bounty Hunter" part of the ep?

Guess who suggested the idea to have Vala beam the bad guy out of the ship and wave to him as he floated by?

And guess who came up with the line, "Damn you, Cam Mitchell"?

I'll give you a hint. It wasn't the credited writer of the episode, Alan McCullough. His original pitch only had the Odyssey being hijacked by the Lucian Alliance and the team being sent to rescue it.

It was none other than:
                                Spoiler:
                                Robert C. Cooper

Why am I not surprised? I was just amazed that most of the bad things about the ep that people listed can be attributed to one person.

I sort of feel sorry for Alan McCullough. He has written some of the best eps for SGA this season, so he is obviously a talented writer. He also seems to come up with some good story ideas. From listening to the commentaries, it just sounds like most of his story ideas/scripts were completely torn up, reworked, and put back together by the other writers. And he had to let them b/c he was the newbie.

Comment

Working...
                                X