S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True.
    The very young do not always do as they are told.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
      Thanks for the welcome, Mandy.

I agree with what you said about Stargate SG-1's humour in the last two seasons. Gekko's influence had practically faded into nothing and when Rick left the humour was never the same again. No-one could deliver humorous lines like he could and, speaking personally, I never laughed as hard after Season 8.

Moving away from the humour - Just wondering here but...when Stargate SG-1 was renewed for a 9th season, should it have been a totally new cast? The line-up of just never, ever gelled with me - but *particularly* Mitchell. He was a poor man's replacement for . I think that if Mitchell had been with a new SG-1 team then I might not have minded him so much but then I might still be comparing him and his new team as a poor man's replacement for and .

And one thing I *particularly* hated was all the sort of obligatory standing side-by-side, heroic, we're all together kind of scenes in Season 9. Did anyone else pick-up on that? Maybe I'm being over-sensitive on this particular issue because S9 and S10 were just so hard to watch and the drop in quality was so obvious, but it just seemed like they were trying to throw this "new" SG-1 into my face. Episodes that seem to spring to mind when I talk about this are Beachhead and Off the Grid and I'm thinking The Shroud too...but as I say, maybe I'm just being over-sensitive on this one. I'll leave you all to decide for yourselves on that. Be gentle.
      Why new cast with mitchell? They should have just kept the old cast, focused on them and added a junior team member if they really needed 4. Or if they needed a full bird then it should have been a more serious character and they should have focused on the original 3 dealing with this new character. In either case the focus should have been on SG-1. Carter, Daniel, Teal'c.

Instead they removed the focus from the characters that built the show created 4 crpy new characters and completely re-wrote Daniel into Action Jackson. Then proceeded to throw cannon out the window and destroy the things that made the stargate universe unique from other cliche scifi shows. It was quite a travesty IMHO. Two (or so) years ago I thought this franchise could overthrow StarTrek now the franchise is hanging by a thread which is about to break.

(brought home to me more when a pro-s9/s10r came to me at work yesterday to tell me he was sorry, I was right [about continium not s9/10 in his opinion] and that he wishes he never saw continuium.... then proceeded to explain the movie to me...which I really wish I never heard actually)
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
        Why new cast with mitchell? They should have just kept the old cast, focused on them and added a junior team member if they really needed 4. Or if they needed a full bird then it should have been a more serious character and they should have focused on the original 3 dealing with this new character. In either case the focus should have been on SG-1. Carter, Daniel, Teal'c.

Instead they removed the focus from the characters that built the show created 4 crpy new characters and completely re-wrote Daniel into Action Jackson. Then proceeded to throw cannon out the window and destroy the things that made the stargate universe unique from other cliche scifi shows. It was quite a travesty IMHO. Two (or so) years ago I thought this franchise could overthrow StarTrek now the franchise is hanging by a thread which is about to break.

(brought home to me more when a pro-s9/s10r came to me at work yesterday to tell me he was sorry, I was right [about continium not s9/10 in his opinion] and that he wishes he never saw continuium.... then proceeded to explain the movie to me...which I really wish I never heard actually)
        That would have done wonders for the show's budget as well...

Comment

i too have no attachment to any of the atlantis folks....well cept for Lorne. He i am attached to. Odd that it's a stargate character that was created back in season 7 that i'm attached to - kill any of them off and my only concern is 'omg, so and so's fans are gonna flip'.

the Gekko humor was gentle humor. it was what fit the situation and happenstance. the season 9 and 10 humor was tactless and pushy and crass. Gekko made fun of the situation, Coop made fun of people. And it was a painful difference to watch. Having been the butt of a few too many personal 'jokes' at my expense, most of hte humor of season 9 and 10 was little more than painful high school flashbacks.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            i too have no attachment to any of the atlantis folks....well cept for Lorne. He i am attached to. Odd that it's a stargate character that was created back in season 7 that i'm attached to - kill any of them off and my only concern is 'omg, so and so's fans are gonna flip'.

the Gekko humor was gentle humor. it was what fit the situation and happenstance. the season 9 and 10 humor was tactless and pushy and crass. Gekko made fun of the situation, Coop made fun of people. And it was a painful difference to watch. Having been the butt of a few too many personal 'jokes' at my expense, most of hte humor of season 9 and 10 was little more than painful high school flashbacks.
            I think you just summed up SGU!
            Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
              The problem they had, was they wanted to make a new show. Stargate Command, but that wouldn't get them the 200 show record. So they(TPTB) were 'stuck' with SG1. Now, they could have made it work, by adding Mitchell as a Major and have him learn from the best (a line Cam actually used, but didn't follow). Instead the way they brought in Mitchell, they wanted the white male action hewo to lead; because everyone knows a woman with 8 years experience has no business leading...(forget s8, it didn't really happen /sarcasm.)

So now they were stuck with SG1 and it's history baggage, so what did they do...they broke up the team to have the goofball, who has never seen the gate, lead the team of experienced SG team members...yea, makes no sense, they tried so hard to fit the square peg in to the round hole...and the result was S9 and 10
              My thoughts in a nutshell, Mandy!

(Not that I'm calling Mandy a nut. )

It's too bad they couldn't ignore S9 as an aberration and just move on in S10.Hey! They did it in S8, just let some "time pass" and put te characters in their (imo ) 'proper' places.

suse
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.
              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post

It probably would have been better if Mitchell had been a Lieutenant or a Captain and, basically, a whole different character tbh other than the way he turned out on screen. He was certainly a poor man's substitute for Jack. He could have had temporary command of SG-1 until Sam returned.

Speaking of Jack and Mitchell...did the Lt. Col. have a problem with Jack or something? When they're together in the F-302, the manner in the way he kept saying "sir" really bugged me. There is a word to describe the way he was saying "sir" but it escapes me at the moment. Anyone know what that word is...or just what I'm talking about?

I just remembered this line from the Season 10 episode 200 which was said by Jack after he suggests everyone goes fishing as a perfect ending:

Originally posted by Jack O'Neill
                "I mean, after that, anything else would seem pointless."
                Could not have put it better myself.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

I hope Brad Wright has more of a hand in writing and producing the new SG1 movies. He seems to have more of a handle on the stories and original characters.

It was VERY apparent that when RDA's production company (Gekko) pulled out of the series, followed by RDA, the series lost a lot of its humor and fun.
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                    I hope Brad Wright has more of a hand in writing and producing the new SG1 movies. He seems to have more of a handle on the stories and original characters.

It was VERY apparent that when RDA's production company (Gekko) pulled out of the series, followed by RDA, the series lost a lot of its humor and fun.
                    It's not so much that the show lost the humor, but it was replaced with a "different kind of humor". The kind of humor Gekko never would have allowed on this show.
                    sigpic

Comment

RDA has such a great sense of humor and comedic timing that it WORKED for the character of Jack O'Neill. When they brought the additional cast in and tried to keep that humor and timing alive, (Cam was WAY too much of a copy of Jack, right down to him attempting to be funny) it fell incredibly flat and really hurt the dynamic of the show a lot.

Jasmina, I love your sig!
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

RDA has such a great sense of humor and comedic timing that it WORKED for the character of Jack O'Neill. When they brought the additional cast in and tried to keep that humor and timing alive, (Cam was WAY too much of a copy of Jack, right down to him attempting to be funny) it fell incredibly flat and really hurt the dynamic of the show a lot.

The funny thing is, if they were trying to replace 'Jack', wouldn't that have been by Beau Bridges? Jack was the general running the base, and RDA was the big name of the show. Sorry to all the Ben Browder fans, but he was no big name. He was just needed for a 4th member of the team, they should have written and introduced the character as such. Make the new guy fit into the team, (even if it took time to do so) don't dismantle the show to fit the new character
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                          The funny thing is, if they were trying to replace 'Jack', wouldn't that have been by Beau Bridges? Jack was the general running the base, and RDA was the big name of the show. Sorry to all the Ben Browder fans, but he was no big name. He was just needed for a 4th member of the team, they should have written and introduced the character as such. Make the new guy fit into the team, (even if it took time to do so) don't dismantle the show to fit the new character caricature
                          Apologies, but I felt that your phrasing needed adjustment

BTW I totally agree with you.
                          -

Comment

I still say that Cam is really nothing like Jack and if TPTB thought he was they sadly misunderstood O'Neill.

BB settled in a bit in S10 & if they had written him more like that in S9 and let us get used to him as simply a new member of the team I bet I'd have liked him fine.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                              I still say that Cam is really nothing like Jack and if TPTB thought he was they sadly misunderstood O'Neill.

BB settled in a bit in S10 & if they had written him more like that in S9 and let us get used to him as simply a new member of the team I bet I'd have liked him fine.
                              They toned down both Cam and Vala in season 10, but the damage had already been done. As far as I'm concerned, season 9 is the baggage, not seasons 1-8.
                              sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                              May we all be so well loved.

Comment

i tend to agree. season 10 was better than s9. however, like you said, by then most of hte damage had been done and people had given up and moved onto other things
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X