Goa'uld Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaptJanson View Post
    There is also likely several on the world of the first ones, as well as many 'ordinary' Goa'uld. What have they done to them? Genocide? Or just put up a sign: "beware of the water"?
    I think the biggest reason that the Goa'uld are "defeated" is that the people all know that they're not really gods. And that multitudes can take them out if they try. Unless there's more planets like the one Vala conned in "The Powers That Be"

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
    ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
      I think the biggest reason that the Goa'uld are "defeated" is that the people all know that they're not really gods. And that multitudes can take them out if they try. Unless there's more planets like the one Vala conned in "The Powers That Be"

Yes, in theory. But in real life, when was the last time people rose up against their oppressors, especially when the oppressors have greater fire power? I think that the system lords must have also rewarded the Jaffa in some way to maintain loyalty, besides the obvious gifts of longer life and greater ability to heal.

Last edited by Arctic Goddess; 28 December 2008, 12:09 AM.
      Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post

Yes, in theory. But in real life, when was the last time people rose up against their oppressors, especially when the oppressors have greater fire power? I think that the system lords must have also rewarded the Jaffa in some way to maintain loyalty, besides the obvious gifts of longer life and greater ability to heal.
        Once people taste freedom, though, it takes a long time for them to tolerate slavery again. I do think that the Jaffa had a better lifestyle than the humans, though, but it wasn't enough to counter the fact that they were seen as cannon fodder by their gods.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
        ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
          Once people taste freedom, though, it takes a long time for them to tolerate slavery again. I do think that the Jaffa had a better lifestyle than the humans, though, but it wasn't enough to counter the fact that they were seen as cannon fodder by their gods.
          True, but I think they (the Jaffa) had somehow a culture centered around it being a good thing to be cannon fodder for their gods - besides, the very fact that they were not the lowest may have kept them in their place. People seem to like having someone below them and that will make them tolerate those above them.

Also, many may feel security in the old and known ways. The new Jaffa society isn't very safe and they may well have been better off as slaves to the Goa'uld - at least they knew what was expected of them. Making decisions for yourself isn't always a pleasant thing. As long as they had a relatively good life, with guarantee of food and such, then I believe they may well prefer it that way.

Personally, I much prefer a life with my basic needs assured, to freedom, if I should chose.

If anyone are to rebel, I think it is more likely to be the humans, who are at the very bottom. Also, the Jaffa may well have been genetically engineered for some loyalty to their gods.
          sigpic
          Smilies made by Roeskva (http://www.tokra.dk/smilies.html)

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

One thing that was insufficiently broached in Stargate would have been reprisals against the families of those Jaffa that decided to follow Teal'c and Bray'tac. This would have made it much more difficult for them to be successful in their rebellion. In reality, as soon as the planet, Chulak became a planet of rebellion, the Goa'uld in charge of it would have blown it to pieces. Human history is full of examples of reprisals from dominating powers on smaller communities that dared to attempt to stand up for themselves. For the sake of the story, the writers turned a blind eye to a more accurate story line.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
              One thing that was insufficiently broached in Stargate would have been reprisals against the families of those Jaffa that decided to follow Teal'c and Bray'tac. This would have made it much more difficult for them to be successful in their rebellion. In reality, as soon as the planet, Chulak became a planet of rebellion, the Goa'uld in charge of it would have blown it to pieces. Human history is full of examples of reprisals from dominating powers on smaller communities that dared to attempt to stand up for themselves. For the sake of the story, the writers turned a blind eye to a more accurate story line.
              You're right - they would have. They would even have to. If they wanted to keep the planet, they would have to strike down on any sort of rebellion with fierceness. Otherwise they would get a long period of bloodshed and violence, while attempting (and only partly succeeding) in keeping order and being the rulers.

And didn't Apophis do exactly that? He struck Chulak hard after their treason against him, did he not?
              sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor_girl View Post
                You're right - they would have. They would even have to. If they wanted to keep the planet, they would have to strike down on any sort of rebellion with fierceness. Otherwise they would get a long period of bloodshed and violence, while attempting (and only partly succeeding) in keeping order and being the rulers.

And didn't Apophis do exactly that? He struck Chulak hard after their treason against him, did he not?
                Obviously not hard enough. Destroying Teal'c's house and banishing his family achieved very little. If Apophis had destroyed everyone who had any contact with Teal'c, the rest of the Jaffa would likely have not attempted to follow Teal'c. The price would have been too high.

Comment

Comment

Pretty Thanks - and a Happy New Year to you too
                    sigpic

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

Happy New Year to all of you!
                      sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Happy New Year from me as well! I hope we will (somehow) meet the Goa'uld in Universe. Perhaps a Goa'uld mothership was thrown there (wherever there is) the same way as SG-1 and Jacob/Selmak was by the Supernova.
                        sigpic
                        [Save Martouf/Lantash]

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralSelmak View Post
                          Happy New Year from me as well! I hope we will (somehow) meet the Goa'uld in Universe. Perhaps a Goa'uld mothership was thrown there (wherever there is) the same way as SG-1 and Jacob/Selmak was by the Supernova.
                          Heh, sounds like a great idea. I like that

Anyone know what has happened to our ranks? I wasn't a 'Chief Master Sergent' before. Think I was a 'Mature Symbiote' maybe? Anyway, don't like the new titles/ranks

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralSelmak View Post
                            I'd like that as well.

@cutietux: our ranks/titles was changed because the mods decided people would like something new, that wasn't Stargate-related (OK, that could be used for all the Stargate-shows). I don't like it either, but there is very little I can do about it
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skadi View Post
                              I'd like that as well.

@cutietux: our ranks/titles was changed because the mods decided people would like something new, that wasn't Stargate-related (OK, that could be used for all the Stargate-shows). I don't like it either, but there is very little I can do about it
                              Yup, that's how it is. Sucks.
                              sigpic

Comment

Found these on http://www.ladylittlefox.com/galleries.html

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X