Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the writers so afraid of romantic relationships between the characters?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For 2 characters to have a romance doesn't mean we are going to see them smooching every five minutes or witnessing anything remotely sexual. Having a relationship doesn't have to change the friendship between characters. It just means that they admit that they care about each other more than friends. I don't see anything wrong with that and if it is handled consistantly I don't see why it shouldn't work. If John and Teyla were to admit to each other that they had feelings for one another... why should this take away anything from their friendship or weaken either one of them. Caring about someone is not a weakness.
    Both John and Teyla would always put Atlantis before themselves or any relationship. I would never doubt either of their abilites to do this.... Teyla was going to shoot John in TLG to save lives... even though Shep/Thalen had told her that he cared for her more than she knew. John and Teyla are close to all their team mates and consider them family and have already proved that they would give their lives for each other... so again how would things change if they were having a relationship.

Neither one would be skipping through the halls of Atlantis holding hands or showing probably any overt signs of affection in public as they are both very private people. All we need to have are odd moments here and there where they say a few words to each other or hold each other in private after a difficult mission. Having a relationship could open up many ways to give us more insight into both characters and I don't think any of us want any sappy, mushy relationship.. but again John and Teyla are not that kind of person...

The writers should be capable of doing this and making it work.. we have already seen from the scene in Sateda that both characters shine when they are baring their souls and letting us see what is behind the barriers they erect. Subtle little moments are all that are needed to bring us a relationship and we have certaintly had the groundwork laid already for John and Teyla and taking the next step seems to be the only logical thing to do... but will the writers go the full mile or will they veer off in countless directions and end up achieving nothing. Throwing in various love interests as they did to Sam don't really achieve anything except annoy fans. They are usually boring to both shippers and non shippers... shippers because they don't want to see one of their ship being paired off with some random love interest that they couldn't care less about, and non shippers pretty much for the same reason... meaningless time wasted with a character that no one really cares about.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
      Yeah, but isn't it nice that you can agree to disagree like adults, rather than sinking into insults and mud slinging?
      There is no right or wrong answer, just differing opinions, it's nice to be amongst people who can discuss this in a mature and sensible way.

FF

Yes it is nice,it'a a breath of fresh air discussing something and it not turning into an argument,everyone has there own different opinion and it's nice to discuss these difference of opinions in a nice mature fashion....After all everyone's entitled to they're own opinion and the world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same thing........Even though i'm right,, jk!

Ooh you go Camy,i think you got Killdeer

Well maybe not!
      sigpic

Comment

Neither one would be skipping through the halls of Atlantis holding hands or showing probably any overt signs of affection in public as they are both very private people.
        Crap, there goes that idea! LOL
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
          Ooh you go Camy,i think you got Killdeer

Well maybe not!
          She's a little stubborn, but that's okay! I've bombarded her with only half of the stuff that I got....she has no idea the back up plan that I have! LOL

Blue, beautifully written...that's what I was trying to say in all my other postings!
          sigpic

Comment

Maybe guiding this thread away from J/T specifically, I think TV in general is moving away from the old model of Male lead/Female lead, and forcing the two together. Or maybe it's just the shows I watch - I don't know. There's still a lot of shows like that out there, but more and more you're seeing team-based shows where the romantic interests for the characters are off-screen or recurring characters. Or, if they're both main characters, they're supporting, not leads. Take CSI:NY for example. There's a romance between Danny & Lindsey, but they're both supporting characters, not leads. Romances for Mac and Stella, the two leads, have been with recurring characters, not other main characters, and definitely not each other. I think maybe there's also a move to focus on family relationships as well - I can think of three different shows with a strong focus on brother/family relationships. Possibly people are getting tired of the old model of male lead/female lead must be paired up. There's some shows it still does work for (Farscape), but I think it's moving away from that.

Possibly part of that could be said to originate with Joss Whedon himself. Joss loved to play with pairings, put them together, and take them apart. But he had a core group, Buffy, Willow, Xander, and Giles, who always stuck together in the end, regardless of their romantic relationships with other people. I don't know. I'm just kind of thinking out loud here. Or in text, as the case may be.

I guess my thinking here is...if Atlantis just stays with recurring characters for romantic interests, they wouldn't necessarily be unusual. It would be following the current trend in team-based shows. Although it would be a little atypical for Stargate itself, which tends to annoy shippers and non-shippers alike.
            Last edited by Killdeer; 16 September 2007, 02:37 PM.
            - Life after Stargate -
            Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
            Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Camy View Post
              She's a little stubborn, but that's okay! I've bombarded her with only half of the stuff that I got....she has no idea the back up plan that I have! LOL

Should I be scared?
              - Life after Stargate -
              Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
              Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                Should I be scared?
                Be afraid,be very afraid
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                  Be afraid,be very afraid
                  *hides*

- Life after Stargate -
                  sigpic

Comment

Nah, I'm harmless!

But in all seriousness, I think you simply don't want to see John and Teyla together cause you like their friendship. And that is fine, but there is room for more, I think and if done right it could work.

And I agree with FF, I don't want them to keep playing the wild card or the sexual tension between them unless they are going to do with it more soon. And considering all the things that are going to happen in Season 4 and all the expected angst, I'm hoping for some more development between these two. They deserve to be loved and be loved! and what better than with each other...

Okay, okay..I"ll leave now! Sorry!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Camy View Post
                      But in all seriousness, I think you simply don't want to see John and Teyla together cause you like their friendship. And that is fine, but there is room for more, I think and if done right it could work.
                      Mmmmm, partially right. There's still the team/command issue. Which I do understand isn't an issue for some people, but it is rather a large issue for me.

Something I said earlier got me thinking, and I started wondering if there was any scenario in which I could see John and Teyla together, and I think there is. But it would have had to have changed from the beginning. If Teyla did not ever come back and live in Atlantis and become part of John's team, but remained with the Athosians as their leader, and there was a interest/relationship built up between them over time as Teyla worked with the Atlantians on different things...I could possibly see it happening I think. There would have to be significant rewriting to incorporate her into the storyline as native leader and ally, rather than team member. But they went a different direction, and now I just can't force my mind down that road. They're close friends, and I love that. But just can't see more.
                      - Life after Stargate -
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SpyDude View Post
                        The thing is, the writers started to insinuate a Sam/Jack sexual relationship, but never went anywhere with it. As I said before, develope it, or leave it altogether.
                        The unfortunate thing about the Sam/Jack pairing was that it was prohibited by military regs so there was really only so far they could go and it gave the writers an out, they could play with the pairing but they'd always be able to pull back without committing to it, which led to a situation where there was enough ship to tantalize but not satisfy some of the viewers who were in favour of it but at the same time there was too much for some of those who disliked it.

The same regulations would govern all relationships within a team - even if both parties are civilians, chances are that one would have to be removed if they became involved - and relationships involving base commanders so that's a stumbling block for many of the major pairings.

Personally, I think that with careful writing, a Sam/Jack ship would have been able to be a part of the show without dominating it or taking away from the other characters or the team.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                          The unfortunate thing about the Sam/Jack pairing was that it was prohibited by military regs so there was really only so far they could go and it gave the writers an out, they could play with the pairing but they'd always be able to pull back without committing to it, which led to a situation where there was enough ship to tantalize but not satisfy some of the viewers who were in favour of it but at the same time there was too much for some of those who disliked it.

The same regulations would govern all relationships within a team - even if both parties are civilians, chances are that one would have to be removed if they became involved - and relationships involving base commanders so that's a stumbling block for many of the major pairings.
                          I completely agree. So why even go down that road in the first place?

Personally, I think that with careful writing, a Sam/Jack ship would have been able to be a part of the show without dominating it or taking away from the other characters or the team.
                          How would you get around the regs without removing Sam from the team? As you've already stated, she would have had to have been removed from the team if they had started any relationship.
                          - Life after Stargate -
                          sigpic

Comment

You know, I think if they'd built a relationship from the beginning, like they did with John & Aeryn on Farscape, I might possibly be more inclined to accept it. Although there would still be the team/command issue. But having it just be close platonic friendship for three years and then suddenly I'm supposed to believe a romance? I know the shippers have seen stuff all along, but I swear, before I started posting here at GW I would never have guessed from the show that John & Teyla were even an option! So anything between them would really feel out of the blue, even more than what happened with Jack and Sam.
                            You see, to me that's not a problem. Because it happens. People - actual real live people, not imaginary ones - go from being friends to being together and people who know them go,"...really!?"

So to me it strikes me as perhaps unlikely, but not beyond the realms of possibility if its done right.

Yes, same here - on this we can agree! I was on the fence about Daniel/Vala before Unending, since I do like both characters. I could have gone either way, but Unending pretty much killed it dead for me. And yeah, Sam/Teal'c. It had never occurred to me, but I'm not sure it's such a bad idea. *hides from shippers *

Yes, we can agree on that also. Well, except the relationship part. ((((hugs Camy))))
                            Sam/Teal'c would never work - I couldn't do that to her. Teal'c has a wandering eye and he is the Secret Kirker of the Stargate universe, from Jaffa priestesses when he was married (I don't think I ever got over that) to random human women when dating ninja priestesses. He's just kind of allergic to monogamy.

But ot answer the original question: because once they resolve it they can't do anything and the reason for watching is gone. John and Aeryn got together and a million things happened to frell around with the relationship and you knew that they couldn't leave it alone and let them just be - which automatically turns the focus towards the relationship.

Given that Stargate is a much more team-focused programme, they have the underlying ship that they bring out when they want to make me happy when they want to. And they can't resolve it because then TV!logic - that thing that bears no resemblance to the real world - says that they have to create new problems. Break 'em up, put 'em back together, break 'em up... its like having a lego set.

Shipper that I am I'm glad that they ddin't put Sam and Jack together until Threads

They do have the odd ship running around in the background, its just that they're so low on the radar that no one cares. Beckett/Cadman, and, up til S4 spoilers, Mckay/Brown.
                            sigpic
                            Stuart: “You’ve done nothing, Vince. You go to work, you go for a drink. You sit at home and watch cheap science fiction. Small and tiny world. What is there…that’s so impressive about that? What is there to love?”
                            Vince: “Yeah.”
                            Stuart: “…It was good enough for me.”

Comment

You know, I think if they'd built a relationship from the beginning, like they did with John & Aeryn on Farscape, I might possibly be more inclined to accept it. Although there would still be the team/command issue. But having it just be close platonic friendship for three years and then suddenly I'm supposed to believe a romance? I know the shippers have seen stuff all along, but I swear, before I started posting here at GW I would never have guessed from the show that John & Teyla were even an option! So anything between them would really feel out of the blue, even more than what happened with Jack and Sam.
                              This just goes to show how different people are going to see the same thing in different ways. The very first episode of Atlantis I ever saw was 38 Minutes. I came away from that thinking John and Teyla were attracted to each other. I went out and rented Rising and was even more certain that it wasn't my imagination and that the writers had intended for the viewers to see them as a couple. Now you're saying that you never saw anything but friendship.

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                              For 2 characters to have a romance doesn't mean we are going to see them smooching every five minutes or witnessing anything remotely sexual. Having a relationship doesn't have to change the friendship between characters. It just means that they admit that they care about each other more than friends. I don't see anything wrong with that and if it is handled consistantly I don't see why it shouldn't work. If John and Teyla were to admit to each other that they had feelings for one another... why should this take away anything from their friendship or weaken either one of them. Caring about someone is not a weakness.
                              Both John and Teyla would always put Atlantis before themselves or any relationship. I would never doubt either of their abilites to do this.... Teyla was going to shoot John in TLG to save lives... even though Shep/Thalen had told her that he cared for her more than she knew. John and Teyla are close to all their team mates and consider them family and have already proved that they would give their lives for each other... so again how would things change if they were having a relationship.

Neither one would be skipping through the halls of Atlantis holding hands or showing probably any overt signs of affection in public as they are both very private people. All we need to have are odd moments here and there where they say a few words to each other or hold each other in private after a difficult mission. Having a relationship could open up many ways to give us more insight into both characters and I don't think any of us want any sappy, mushy relationship.. but again John and Teyla are not that kind of person...

The writers should be capable of doing this and making it work.. we have already seen from the scene in Sateda that both characters shine when they are baring their souls and letting us see what is behind the barriers they erect. Subtle little moments are all that are needed to bring us a relationship and we have certaintly had the groundwork laid already for John and Teyla and taking the next step seems to be the only logical thing to do... but will the writers go the full mile or will they veer off in countless directions and end up achieving nothing. Throwing in various love interests as they did to Sam don't really achieve anything except annoy fans. They are usually boring to both shippers and non shippers... shippers because they don't want to see one of their ship being paired off with some random love interest that they couldn't care less about, and non shippers pretty much for the same reason... meaningless time wasted with a character that no one really cares about.
                              Wonderfully put. I have tried and failed many times to say exactly what you've just stated so well.

I guess my thinking here is...if Atlantis just stays with recurring characters for romantic interests, they wouldn't necessarily be unusual. It would be following the current trend in team-based shows. Although it would be a little atypical for Stargate itself, which tends to annoy shippers and non-shippers alike.
                              I know I've seen others say they would support a main character shipped with a recurring character, but I wonder if that would still hold true if the writers actually put it on screen. Yes, Cadman and Beckett were fairly well received, but Beckett wasn't part of the core gate team. Look at the reaction to McKay and Katie. There are complaints that her character is boring and weak. But how do you get around that with a recurring character that's presented as "the love interest".

And then there's the argument that a recurring character doesn't interfere with the team relationship. Doesn't it? Now you have someone with a significant relationship outside of the team. They won't spend all their free time with the team. The team will no longer be their closest, most important relationship. I think, in some cases, that's causing resentment towards Katie and McKay. She's seen as a distraction from McKay's full involvement with the team.

I'd rather the writers just make a decision and follow it through. If they intend for a couple to get together, then keep it moving forward. Don't stop and waffle and worry about upsetting the fans they've mislead with hints of an alternative pairing. Don't give hints of alternative pairings to begin with if they don't intend to take it anywhere. There's plenty of action and alien worlds to keep us interested without all the games.

Comment

Originally posted by Caladria View Post
                                Sam/Teal'c would never work - I couldn't do that to her. Teal'c has a wandering eye and he is the Secret Kirker of the Stargate universe, from Jaffa priestesses when he was married (I don't think I ever got over that) to random human women when dating ninja priestesses. He's just kind of allergic to monogamy.
                                Well, I didn't say I was completely sold on the idea.

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                                This just goes to show how different people are going to see the same thing in different ways. The very first episode of Atlantis I ever saw was 38 Minutes. I came away from that thinking John and Teyla were attracted to each other. I went out and rented Rising and was even more certain that it wasn't my imagination and that the writers had intended for the viewers to see them as a couple. Now you're saying that you never saw anything but friendship.
                                Wow, 38 Minutes? Hmmm.. no, still can't see it, sorry. Just different perspectives I guess.

And then there's the argument that a recurring character doesn't interfere with the team relationship. Doesn't it? Now you have someone with a significant relationship outside of the team. They won't spend all their free time with the team. The team will no longer be their closest, most important relationship. I think, in some cases, that's causing resentment towards Katie and McKay. She's seen as a distraction from McKay's full involvement with the team.
                                No, the point with a recurring character is that because they're recurring, they CAN'T become a main focus. The main focus can stay on the team, and the romance just be a sidenote. I don't know if the issues with Katie and Rodney are because she's recurring, or because she's who she is. She's not exactly the strong character most people had probably envisioned for McKay.
                                Last edited by Killdeer; 16 September 2007, 04:14 PM.
                                - Life after Stargate -
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X