Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the writers so afraid of romantic relationships between the characters?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
    Plus, I think before S4 of SG-1, many people probably could have said the same thing about Sam and Jack, had the regs not stood in their way. And look how that turned out. It compromised both characters badly, IMO. .
    It compromised both characters badly, because the writers kept playing with the idea, but never went anywhere with it.
    sigpic

Comment

I don't agree, sorry. I've never seen an attraction between them since the first episode, and even then not much. If they'd started building it in that first season, maybe. But they completely dropped it, and now Teyla and John are just close friends and trusted teammates. To suddenly shove a romantic attraction in there would feel extremely forced to me.
      I'm not saying they should hop into bed this instance, why not build the relationship more thoroughly for a season and then...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SpyDude View Post
        Right on Camy. I HATED Pete! Also, Sheppard & Teyla in my opinon have developed to the point where they could get romantically involved and it wouldn't feel forced. They certainly have a believable attraction.
        I'm so glad you wrote this because I sometimes think I may have some sort of special shippy glasses or something....*giggles*

Sorry, I"ll keep this serious!

For example, Rodney and Kate...when have we seen that relationship on screen and develop the way they've develop other relationships, like John/Teyla..heck even Ronon/Teyla and Sheppard/Weir could get away with it...in my opinion, but not Kate and Rodney and yet it seems that this season things might go in a new and improve and much faster relationship than those that have really cemented a strong foundation. That just bugs me...because as much as I like Katie and Rodney and I do....I would have loved to see that developed further rather than have them be the "romantic" piece of the show that is so lame and boring as it is now!
        sigpic

Comment

As a guy, it always bothers me that men can always be shirtless but not women (mostly they have a bra, but whatever). My post is not PG, it's PG-17
          Awww, I feel for you! But hey, you really can't complain, you get to see cleavage....and flat tummy's and rear views...and well, what the hell are you complaining about? *ROF*
          sigpic

Comment

Exactly, this (some guy out of the blue) just doesn't work. And let's not forget the painful Sam/Martouf realtionship.
            Oy, this is so my worst fear..not only because it can ruin my favorite ship...an then again, I don't think it will, but most importantly, I just don't see this as part of who Teyla is and what I've seen of her up till now.
            sigpic

Comment

It compromised both characters badly, because the writers kept playing with the idea, but never went anywhere with it.
              No it compromised the characters, in part IMO because it destroyed the mentor/student aspect of their relationship. It made both characters look unprofessional at times, and it negated Jack's authority as a leader. Jack was a stronger leader in the years before his attraction to Sam was a "thing". All this is my opinion of course.

The same with John & Teyla. I think having a relationship with a teammember would weaken John as leader, and it would also destroy the platonic close friendship that they have now, and that I enjoy.
              - Life after Stargate -
              Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
              Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Camy View Post
                I'm so glad you wrote this because I sometimes think I may have some sort of special shippy glasses or something....*giggles*

Sorry, I"ll keep this serious!

For example, Rodney and Kate...when have we seen that relationship on screen and develop the way they've develop other relationships, like John/Teyla..heck even Ronon/Teyla and Sheppard/Weir could get away with it...in my opinion, but not Kate and Rodney and yet it seems that this season things might go in a new and improve and much faster relationship than those that have really cemented a strong foundation. That just bugs me...because as much as I like Katie and Rodney and I do....I would have loved to see that developed further rather than have them be the "romantic" piece of the show that is so lame and boring as it is now!
                We're definately on the same page Anyway, by this point everyone who have read my post in this topic probably realise I'm a Sheppard/Teyla shipper (and proud of it). Too bad I'll never get the payoff I'm waiting for.
                sigpic

Comment

You're saying you don't? *just teasing*
                  - Life after Stargate -
                  Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                  Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
                    I don't read hetro 'ship fanfic but I'd bet good money that the fans do a much better job than the show writers.

Of course, the fans don't have the constraints of the show writers; if you are writing a romantic fanfic, your parameters are totally different.
                    For a start, in fanfic you aren't writing for an audience decided for you by the studios; in SG1's case, I'm sure Scifi or whomever, have strict parameters over what the target audience is. At the most basic, the Bridge writers are aiming at a 45 minute SF show, that has to be their primary focus.
                    So I don't totally blame the Bridge writers (even though I know other writers in the genre can do romance) for their cackhanded writing. I do sometimes wonder if I would be so anti Sam/Jack (I don't watch Atlantis, yet) if it had been better written?

FF
                    Very well written, I agree, but I think moreso than not it has to do more with viewers and the personna that they want the specific characters to go in...I mean if Sheppard settles down, there go episodes like Travellers and Sanctuary, and The Tower and Inferno because these writers don't think that Ronon and/or Ford and even Rodney and Lorne could fill those shoes!
                    *wink*
                    sigpic

Comment

You're saying you don't? *just teasing*
                      Kill...what are you doing here? You know you and I can't discuss ships cause I"m always right and you are always wrong...

*runs and hides*
                      sigpic

Comment

Kill...what are you doing here? You know you and I can't discuss ships cause I"m always right and you are always wrong...

*runs and hides*
                        Hmmm.......
                        - Life after Stargate -
                        sigpic

Comment

No it compromised the characters, in part IMO because it destroyed the mentor/student aspect of their relationship. It made both characters look unprofessional at times, and it negated Jack's authority as a leader. Jack was a stronger leader in the years before his attraction to Sam was a "thing". All this is my opinion of course.

The same with John & Teyla. I think having a relationship with a teammember would weaken John as leader, and it would also destroy the platonic close friendship that they have now, and that I enjoy.
                          We're clearly not on the same page (but that's cool too). Also, can you recount any mission that would have been put it into jeapordy if Sheppard & Teyla were involved?
                          sigpic

Comment

Oh at last a thread where we can actually discuss all ships but as you can tell im a Jt shipper and proud of it as Camy said she is a hopeless romantic so ami as well as a big fan of following Romantic storylines i also like the writers to be able to write properly for characters take Dr Quinn for instance they had some really brilliant writers as when they put Mike and Sully togetther in the second season they maintained the whole of their relationship throughout the show and they always made sure that the chemistry between the characters was there not to mention the emotion and the angst so i don't know why they can't do that with John and teyla as they have grown so far in their relationship to get romantically involved and im sure if the writers took their time they could come up with some really good story lines to make their relationship work but at the moment i dont think we will have that shame really
                            Sig Bye Me and Avi bye Luciana

Comment

Jack was a stronger leader in the years before his attraction to Sam was a "thing". All this is my opinion of course.
                              Hmmm...Kill that is interesting. I have missed so many episodes and seasons that I can't really formulate an argument on this one whether to agree or disagree, but I've never thought of actually looking at it from this point of view..can you give an example of where you think that things were affected or could have run differently if there wasn't an attraction? I"m not trying to put you on the spot, I"m trying to visualize this....*wink*

Now, don't go there Kill...John and Teyla are perfecto! Nothing would disturb that relationship. It will be interesting how their friendship is going to be affected by this new changes in Season 4. I think this will definetly give us an idea of where this duo is going.

For example, in Irresponsible, you saw how Teyla just stood her ground in front of Sheppard and I strongly believe that even if they were sharing a bed that wouldn't have changed besides the fact that maybe that night things might have gotten a bit of ......

Moving on...

Another perfect example is in TLG...when Teyla had to choose whether to shoot John or not while possessed by Thalen...I think examples like this only strengthen their relationship because I think that because they have built this bond now, it won't affect them in the end if they ever move on to the next level.

But that is just my opinion! *wink*

Spydude...you should come to the JT discussion thread! Those girls in there will love you and I promise, you don't have to take your shirt off.
                              sigpic

Comment

We're clearly not on the same page (but that's cool too). Also, can you recount any mission that would have been put it into jeapordy if Sheppard & Teyla were involved?
                                Name one, any one. As team leader, Sheppard has to be impartial to his team. That's why regs forbid a military commander to be involved with someone under his command. Even if there is no actual discrimination involved, the leader opens himself up to the appearance of discrimination, and accusations of favoritism. It's not a good idea.

Let me be clear here. I have huge HUGE issues with superior/subordinate relationships, even out of the military. I hated House/Cameron on House, I hated Jack/Sam on Without A Trace. I think they're extremely unprofessional in every situation. You might say it's a hotbutton issue for me. I don't have any less of a problem with Shep & Teyla than I did with Jack & Sam just because Teyla is not military. To me, it's still the same thing. She's still under Shep's command.
                                - Life after Stargate -
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X