Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the writers so afraid of romantic relationships between the characters?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah i liked the Buffy/Angel scenario but wasn't he not only in 2 season's,i never really took to the Buffy/Spike ship...That just didn't do it for me!

I mean it's not fair,i never get to have my favourite ships together....X-Files with Scully and Mulder,man i had to wait like what was it,about 10 years before anything happened,SG-1 was 10 years too and nothing,Star Trek DS9 with Kira and Odo it was 6 years,Bones with Brennan and Booth yea still waiting.
    I have to wait that long for something to happen that in the end i lose interest and just don't care either way cause it's taken so long
    sigpic

Comment

Again, Atlantis is the only show I've ever being obsessed with...Thank God. But I did watch maybe 20 episodes of Buffy in its entirety, and I have to say I loved Spike and Buffy. Never cared for Angel/Buffy. To me it was like they were attracted because they both knew it could never be. Spike and Buffy was different. But that was killed too.

Mulder and Scully, that was interesting...the tension was there but the show never really delved deeply into the sexual tension between them rather it concentrated on their friendship and loyalty to one another.

They didn't feed off each other, in my opinion, sexually like others do in the show. But, yes...I too wanted them together. But the show was so well written that it almost made it okay!

SG-1 didn't do that...for me, one minute Sam acted like she was in love with Jack and the next minute she didn't. There wasn't any consistency.

I guess I'm in agreement that if they are going to show sexual tension, that they follow it through in a timely manner because it does get tiredsome and it does become boring and not belieable because in real life you either do it and get it over with or you move on.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SpyDude View Post
        The thing is, the writers started to insinuate a Sam/Jack sexual relationship, but never went anywhere with it. As I said before, develope it, or leave it altogether.
        'Ship or get off the plot.

ie. give us a mature, real relationship a la Firefly's Zoe and Wash or Farscape's Aeryn and John or B5's Delenn and Sheridan or don't bother.

FF
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post

ie. give us a mature, real relationship a la Firefly's Zoe and Wash or Farscape's Aeryn and John or B5's Delenn and Sheridan or don't bother.

FF
          "'Ship or get off the plot!" A great way to summarise the whole point.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Camy View Post
            Frost...I actually think this is what has attracted me to Shep/Teyla more so than any other ship in my entire life where I"ve even started writing because of it...Their connection and bond was not simply physical, it was emotional. They trusted each other unconditionally from day one and it had nothing to do with it being a sexual thing. Clearly, John ruled that aside the minute he chosed her as part of his team. I think more than anything John realized that for him it would be best to develop something stronger and lifelong than make it a one night fling and never see her again. He saw in her something much more and if they ever do become more than friends, this friendship that they've formed is more special and will last longer.

See, Jack didn't choose Sam. He actually didn't want her. John had a choice. He could have developed something more with Teyla and he could have easily swayed her, whether she'd accepted or not is a different story, but the point is that John saw more in Teyla than a sexual attraction and she in him as well.

And that's what I love about the possibility of these two, they began with more than simply an attraction, and yet you know that it is there as well.
            I think the difference here Camy is that you see romance as adding to John and Teyla's relationship, and I see it as taking away. I don't know that that's a viewpoint that can be resolved. I feel that the relationship between John and Teyla is richer for not having romantic/sexual overtones, and I can't see my opinion on that changing, I'm sorry. While I'm not against all ships (although there've been very few if any in Stargate I could get behind), I find friendship, family, and team to be much more compelling.

I'm not against romance or ship, if it's done right, nor am I saying its a lesser thing than platonic friendships. But unfortunately as Frostfox said, in our sex focused culture, ship is all over the place, and strong platonic relationships between men and women are pretty rare. I'd like to see John and Teyla stay as one of those rare treasures.
            - Life after Stargate -
            Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
            Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
            sigpic

Comment

FF
              Unfortunately Stargate hasn't done that yet IMO, and I don't see it happening anytime soon.
              - Life after Stargate -
              Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
              Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
              sigpic

Comment

FF
                I have to agree with this one....but I highly doubt that this will be the motto for Stargate writers! they like the dancing back and forth bit!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                  I think the difference here Camy is that you see romance as adding to John and Teyla's relationship, and I see it as taking away. I don't know that that's a viewpoint that can be resolved. I feel that the relationship between John and Teyla is richer for not having romantic/sexual overtones, and I can't see my opinion on that changing, I'm sorry. While I'm not against all ships (although there've been very few if any in Stargate I could get behind), I find friendship, family, and team to be much more compelling.

I'm not against romance or ship, if it's done right, nor am I saying its a lesser thing than platonic friendships. But unfortunately as Frostfox said, in our sex focused culture, ship is all over the place, and strong platonic relationships between men and women are pretty rare. I'd like to see John and Teyla stay as one of those rare treasures.
                  Nah, that's boring! I"ve had the platonic for three years..and yet, I think that if Teyla and John were ever to actually become a couple, we'd probably see their romance better through a glance, a smile, a night amidst the stars in the balcony as oppose to a bed scene...which is what I think would make this unique as well. I don't want soap, I want drama. For me the writers killed anything that could be there for Sam and Jack by season 5 and they killed anything for me for Daniel and Vala in Unending.

I saw more in that episode for Sam/Tealc than anything else. LOL

And that's okay Kill. I like John and Teyla's friendship as well. It's what has atrracted me to them as individual characters and as possible relationship.
                  sigpic

Comment

I have to agree with this one....but I highly doubt that this will be the motto for Stargate writers! they like the dancing back and forth bit!
                    It's not that I don't think they are capable of writing a mature relationship, I just haven't seen it yet, so I'd rather they left it alone.
                    And because they do write relationships so badly, they don't make anyone happy, the fans of the relationship or those like me who don't like them. So why bother? Just let it be, fans will still see what they want to see, leave it flexible, don't offend anyone, don't set it in stone, let the fans write and 'ship who they want.

FF
                    sigpic

Comment

FF
                      hmm,nice way to sum it up They should either do one or the other,not both!

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post

mmhmm,me think's you and Camy are never gonna agree on this subject....Am i right or am i right
                      sigpic

Comment

Nah, that's boring! I"ve had the platonic for three years..and yet, I think that if Teyla and John were ever to actually become a couple, we'd probably see their romance better through a glance, a smile, a night amidst the stars in the balcony as oppose to a bed scene...which is what I think would make this unique as well. I don't want soap, I want drama.
                        You know, I think if they'd built a relationship from the beginning, like they did with John & Aeryn on Farscape, I might possibly be more inclined to accept it. Although there would still be the team/command issue. But having it just be close platonic friendship for three years and then suddenly I'm supposed to believe a romance? I know the shippers have seen stuff all along, but I swear, before I started posting here at GW I would never have guessed from the show that John & Teyla were even an option! So anything between them would really feel out of the blue, even more than what happened with Jack and Sam.

For me the writers killed anything that could be there for Sam and Jack by season 5 and they killed anything for me for Daniel and Vala in Unending. I saw more in that episode for Sam/Tealc than anything else. LOL
                        Yes, same here - on this we can agree! I was on the fence about Daniel/Vala before Unending, since I do like both characters. I could have gone either way, but Unending pretty much killed it dead for me. And yeah, Sam/Teal'c. It had never occurred to me, but I'm not sure it's such a bad idea. *hides from shippers *

And that's okay Kill. I like John and Teyla's friendship as well. It's what has atrracted me to them as individual characters and as possible relationship.
                        Yes, we can agree on that also. Well, except the relationship part. ((((hugs Camy))))
                        Last edited by Killdeer; 16 September 2007, 02:04 PM.
                        - Life after Stargate -
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                          mmhmm,me think's you and Camy are never gonna agree on this subject....Am i right or am i right
                          Yeah, but isn't it nice that you can agree to disagree like adults, rather than sinking into insults and mud slinging?
                          There is no right or wrong answer, just differing opinions, it's nice to be amongst people who can discuss this in a mature and sensible way.

FF
                          sigpic

Comment

It's not that I don't think they are capable of writing a mature relationship, I just haven't seen it yet, so I'd rather they left it alone.
                            And because they do write relationships so badly, they don't make anyone happy, the fans of the relationship or those like me who don't like them. So why bother? Just let it be, fans will still see what they want to see, leave it flexible, don't offend anyone, don't set it in stone, let the fans write and 'ship who they want.

FF
                            I completely agree.

*grins sheepishly* ummm. Probably not.
                            - Life after Stargate -
                            sigpic

Comment

hmm,nice way to sum it up They should either do one or the other,not both!

shhhh...I almost have her! I can feel it!
                              sigpic

Comment

shhhh...I almost have her! I can feel it!
                                It's not really stealth if they see you coming.
                                - Life after Stargate -
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X