No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What RDA's performance was less than stellar?

Really?

Don't worry I'll be back soon with more of my Saturn Award winning performances

My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Just noticed another little tidbit of info about Sam that JM posted:

Originally posted by JMallozzi
      Originally posted by purpletoo1
      Hi Joe,
      NICE!! Loved The Siege Pt 3 and Avalon1 was a surprise even with all the spoilers! And fuuuuuunny!
      But I missed something, what are Stargates R & D in area 51? Sam seemed to be on a ship. Help please!
      Thank you sir! Love your blog, hope it doesn't go away!
      Carter has had a number of things to occupy her time - research and development, deep space reconaissance, and taking time off to be with Cassie are just a few of the things she'd been up to.
      So it seems Sam has been off adventuring around the galaxy after all!

And lmao tsaxlady
      Last edited by Agent_Dark; 30 July 2005, 11:24 PM.

Comment

How many posts do I need before I can drown you all in GREEN jello, rather than grey one???

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
          What RDA's performance was less than stellar?

Really?

Don't worry I'll be back soon with more of my Saturn Award winning performances

That is too cute. You put a smile on my face and gave me back hope for S9. I especially like the last part, too cute.
          Last edited by Dani76; 30 July 2005, 11:14 PM.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Hello, Samanda!

I can't believe it's been five days since I've been here! I just want to say that I've missed our Royal Kingdom.....and I'm looking forward to reading through all the posts that have been made since I've been away.

I got involved in a big project for S/J Ship Day (which was Thursday), and had a terribly busy week at work. Between the two, I didn't have a spare minute to read my other thread.

I'm trying to finish Harry Potter so I can find out
            Spoiler:
            who dies before I accidentally hear it somewhere else!
            The book has been out two weeks, so I need to hurry. Then, I'll be back. With any luck, I can finish the book on Sunday.

And the more I busy myself with other projects, the more I burn off time until Amanda returns to SG-1! I hope her return is much better than RDA's departure. I felt really cheated by Origins.

Oh, well, only positive thoughts right now!!! Talk with you all soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

And lmao of tsaxlady
              Oh, my gosh! Is it possible the Sam Carter's Copter adventures *really* happened?

Ditto on tsaxlady’s pics.

Comment

And lmao tsaxlady
                but what does 'deep space reconaissance' mean?

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Looking for remnants of the replicart... I mean replicators.. dang that word gets stuck in my head

Just a thought...

Originally posted by SamFan31
                  reconnaissance: exploratory survey of enemy territory

hmm, she doesn't know about the Orii yet (as far as we know). So, any ideas what enemy territory she could be "surveying"? Isn't she going to do a cross over to Atlantis at some point? Maybe she's been out and about in the Pegasus Galaxy.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                    but what does 'deep space reconaissance' mean?

sally
                    reconnaissance: exploratory survey of enemy territory

hmm, she doesn't know about the Orii yet (as far as we know). So, any ideas what enemy territory she could be "surveying"? Isn't she going to do a cross over to Atlantis at some point? Maybe she's been out and about in the Pegasus Galaxy.

Comment

It doesn't nessacaraly have to be enemy territory. She's probably just exploring un-charted regions of space - checking out gas clouds, planets without gates and other astronomical entities Probably from the Prometheus. And of course she'd be getting in some flight time on the F-302's while she's at it

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                        Admitted aviation geek, here.

The Carter Copter, cool technology demonstrator (well, I think it's cool ) of Carter Aviation Technologies, now has its own Yahoo email list:

http://www.cartercopters.com/mailing_list.html

Now I'm having this mental image of the aeronautical engineers at Carter Aviation trying to figure out just exactly where in the US the new work phone number that their esteemed military consultant gave them actually goes...

"But that area code doesn't exist in the US."

"We never get charged for overseas long distance, though, and we don't have to dial any extra country codes, or anything. So it has to be in the US."

"But where???"

"Do you get the feeling that this area code is just as weird as the fact that nobody at the NORAD switchboard for Cheyenne Mountain knew her by name? Or that she has more decorations on her dress blues every time she comes by?"

"What? You think she's some kind of Air Force secret agent or something?"

"After that whole thing with Coulson's company last year, yeah, I think she is."

"Yeah, right. You just wanna see her on TV again."

"And bettering television is a bad thing?"

.... back to work.
                        Just have to say KUDOS on the great Sam banner...

Great job Simhavaktra...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

It doesn't nessacaraly have to be enemy territory. She's probably just exploring un-charted regions of space - checking out gas clouds, planets without gates and other astronomical entities Probably from the Prometheus. And of course she'd be getting in some flight time on the F-302's while she's at it
                          You're absoluely correct. I found a second definition - "An inspection or exploration of an area, especially one made to gather military information." And all your examples fit the "military information" bill.

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                          Just have to say KUDOS on the great Sam banner...

Great job Simhavaktra...
                          Thanks for mentioning this! I blew right past this cool sig. Went back and took a look - ditto Über's comments.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                            I apologize in advance to everyone regarding this rant. Please feel free to just ignore it, but I have watched and rewatched the scenes with RDA over a dozen times now hoping my feelings about it all would change and my distaste for it all just gets worse with each viewing. I'm hoping by vocalizing my disappointment, it may help to make it all go away. If you enjoyed these scenes, I envy you because I never thought I would be this upset by a silly television show.

Spoiler:

I'm not sure if you were referring to me, but I was in no way condemning the entire episode based on this one scene. I was however expressing my utter distaste with these particular scenes. I can understand that RDA, MS, and BB were not together due to scheduling reasons, but we have seen episodes where RDA came in and shot his entire scene against either green screen or with a double. If I remember correctly, a great deal of the episode of Abyss was shot this way. Cliff and RDA were never in the same room together while filming this episode and yet RDA was fantastic in it. The man IS capable of doing a superb job in this type of situation. But in this case, like many people have said, the Jack O'Neill we saw in this episode was only a shell of the man I have come to admire. Why on earth would RDA ask TPTB to keep Jack alive and a part of the SGC if he cared so little about Jack's character than play him with absolutely no life or interest.

I'm sorry, but not only was the script for these scenes pathetic, but I thought RDA's make-up was horrid. They made him look old and washed-out. I have NEVER seen a photo of RDA look this bad and from what I have heard from others he's much better looking in person than on the show. The voice over editing was atrocious. Most of the time, Jack would be speaking while we were looking at Daniel. Neither Jack nor Daniel looked even remotely excited to see one another.

And forgive me for this but Daniel has just told him that the greatest threat they have ever known is coming and Jack looked as if he could really care less. His facial expression, his tone, his words... they were all of a man who has given up and doesn't care anymore.

In my opinion the look on Jack's face was not one of concern or hope or even soothing comfort. To me, it looked more like he was saying 'I'm sorry did you say something... I'm really hungry.'

And that is the part that really bothers me because this is NOT a man who has done his duty and moved on. This is NOT a man who has retired and is now spending his days fishing by a pond. I could have accepted this response from Jack if this had been the case. But no, this is a man who is not only in charge of the SGC, he is now the man in charge of protecting the entire planet. The whole kit-n-kaboodle. He is Homeworld Security. One would think that he would have shown some sort of concern or interest. I know in season eight Jack often looked as if he was out of his element and he was bored at times, but now he looks as if all of the life has been drained out of him. Why on Earth would Jack have taken on this new position if he really didn't care less of what was going on and why was none of this explained to us?

I guess we differ in opinions greatly, because if it's a matter of no Jack or make-me-look-completely-incompetent Jack, I'd rather have had none at all. I wish I could be as optimistic as you seem to be that TPTB will give us some sort of explanation concerning Jack's departure, but honestly I expect to see as much explantion concerning Jack as we were given regarding Cassie after Janet's death. Nothing. Nor do I expect to receive any great detail about what Sam has been doing and why she decided to take the position at Area 51. After tonight's episode, I think we will be lucky at all if we get more than a passing mention about it at all as Sam is rushed into the scene to deal with the problem at hand.

I mean why would anyone wait till the six or seven episodes of a season to explain to the fans what happened to the lead character? I consider myself lucky. I'm read this forum so I've at least had spoilers for the past few months. I knew RDA was leaving the show. Could you imagine what the average fan must have been thinking when they turned on the television to watch the first episode and half the team is gone with little to no explanation?

I appreciate your optimism, I truly wish I could share it, but at this point in time it would definitely take a miracle to change my opinion. Lucky for me, miracles do sometimes happen.

I guess only time will tell.

Kat
                            Oh Kat, such eloquence! So much more eloquent than my two cents on the episode thread where I have a feeling that to some my post may have come off as condemning the entire episode and/or RDA. I guess in response to golfboy's inital thoughts about the 'condemnation': to think critically (as in critique & not negativity) about the show or certain scenes or certain performances doesn’t mean I or others condemn the entire show, it only meant the ep thread was probably the most appropriate place to share my initial thoughts on the parts of the show that really concerned me. More appropriate than here or two other character/relationship threads I lurk at since it could be construed as taking the thread off-topic (although posting thoughts in these threads means being surrounded by a few more members who will understand where I’m coming from which has always been a wonderful thing about these threads)….

I know the special effects were nice (the rings into the water, the city in the distance) and I suppose I may as well admit I secretly enjoyed the D &V relationship, although I wish the writers would define and refine it before it’s too late…. (I’d hate to see them drag their ship out like S/J ship) Plus… I figure there are plenty of cheerleaders right now for the new dynamics and story arcs… I guess it’s hard to come into a show later like I did through SciFi’s heavy rotational schedule a tad over 2 years ago, then discover really like it (enough to mosey into an on-line fandom no less) and then realize that the things which drew you to the show had already been on a decline in the current season by the time you joined fandom, very much threatening to fizzle away…

I just hope Sam is written with her usual strength and determination and intelligence and will still be watching myself to see how 'the cookie crumbles.'

Just some random thoughts….
                            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by lucylou
                              I posted this on the Sam thread but I'll post it here too as it's relevant as to why I think Amanda is deserving of the appreciation and support of the fans.

Amanda's one of those actresses who can convey more emotion with just a facial expression than many others could by saying a whole page of dialogue and that truly is a special and unique gift. She brings life to Sam and emotion and heart and that's great. the characters is multi faceted and layered and Amanda truly shines in the role.

Overall Amandas an excllent lady and thats why I started this thread.

Luce xxx (who gets off her soap box and runs lol)
                              I couldn't put it better myself and agree wholeheartedly.

I too am fortunate enough to be going to GABIT, although primarily to meet some of the posters on SaGCT, I have no idea what I would say to Amanda if I was fortunate enough to be able to speak to her. "Thanks" seems woefully inadequate

I just love her portrayal of Samantha Carter and doubt if any other actor could get even close to this level of perfection. What a wonderful interpretation she has given us with spot on delivery. I don't think I've seen her deliver a less than excellent performance.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                                God!!!! Ori!! Ancients!! Ancestors!! Asgard!! whoever!!!
                                They've started another thread!!!!!
                                How many fricken threads to we need bashing on Sam.
                                I never, ever in my entire Stargate lovin life ever thought there was so much Sam hate out the in world. I thought it was all about Sam Love..... now Im just depressed.

I feel your pain! Here's what I think. There is a certain very focal minority of sam bashers out there. It can feel like there is so much, because when you read very nasty remarks, they stand out far more than the very positive or neutral comments. It's like when I get back teaching evaluations. Say I have 60 students in my class and 2 really didn't like the class at all, but a majority really liked it. What will I focus on? My tendency is to focus on the 2 students who didn't like the class! I have learned over the years to try and resist this tendency!

Look at the "Is Anyone Missing Sam" thread. A VAST MAJORITY (if you count that a person only gets one vote--some people keep returning to say something negative), are clearly missing Sam and can't wait for her to return, or are fine, but are really looking forward to her return. A minority are saying no, but if they write her like the early seasons, that would work. And then of course the imfamous sam bashing minority is saying flat out no. I've noticed that many of these posters post at other forums and say the same thing. One or two of them have started this type of thread at other forums.

So, it FEELS like there is so much because when your favorite character is Sam, and you do have this minority going around saying I don't like her and don't want her to return, it stings (even though they have a right to feel this way). I am amazed at this too, by the way. When they say this, they are also implying that they want AT out of her job! They could care less that she has put in so much of her time and effort into this show for eight years. That is what gets me. I can't imagine saying this about a character (or the actor), even if I dont' like that character. This minority goes beyond dislike into hate. And that is why it feels like it is greater than it is, IMO.

PS: That's why the motto for this SaGC thread created by Chopingal, HIS COMITAS REGIT, (Kindness Reigns Here) has such a special meaning for me!! No need to cut down other characters to make Sam look great!
                                Last edited by chocdoc; 31 July 2005, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X