Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by antoa315 View Post
    I know I will be a nervous wreck if I ever meet Amanda. I'll probably go all 'fangirl' and say something dorky like "We're both 'worthy of love'" (that's what 'Amanda' means).
    Which might be marginally better than unsuccessfully blinking back tears and then have your first words be "I, I come from the same country as two great system lords."

I'm about four pages too late, I think, to join in lol. I've had a phenomenally awful week which ended yesterday with a silver lining, so I've had a lot to catch up on. I think one of the great things about Amanda is you can say something as fundamentally stupid as what I said above, and she just grins and says "Really? Which ones? Have you met them? Were they nice?"

Um I don't really know if I fangurl people. I'm not sure what the procedure is... If there's a tutorial I should follow??? But I remember meeting mini, and she was the one who convinced me to join GW. So *hugs mini*. And should probably hug everyone else too....

That's all I have really.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
      A colleague and I were talking a couple of days ago how we think there's a good chance neither one of us would get into the competitive public college we went to with our old high school records. Once we got there, both of us felt inadequate because we weren't nearly as brilliant as some of the people we were surrounded by. I know career-wise, I didn't live up to my potential. It's scary to realize that I peaked in high school.

Have you ever been asked what you fear more than anything else? To this day, it's still failure for me. I think it's true for Sam as well.

Sounds like an upward battle for you. I can see how having you there would help the kids, though.

I think the girls themselves can't see how the world doesn't come to a screeching halt because they don't go to their first choice college. I know I couldn't. When your goal is to be perfect for years so you can go to that top school, not getting in is a crushing blow, but twenty years down the road, it's easy to recognize that the sky didn't fall that day.

Sam still would have done great things even if she didn't get in the Air Force Academy. Then again, how could she have not gotten in? One of Sam's central characteristics was that she is the best. Hailey is a better example of what these girls face.
      The problem with some of these girls is that at the same time they are conforming to traditionalist thinking. That there can only be one main route for you. That you must be perfect. Oh, and afterwards if you can have the husband and two/three kids, please? And the natural female tendency to work hard and for others to the detriment of themselves only exacberates the situation. Whatever way, whether its having a career, raising a family, or doing both, it all seems to involve being superwoman and also placing women in boxes-even when they're supposed to have it all. We're still bound.

I was lucky in that I wanted to do a subject that, although it has been studied in this country for longer than English Literature, is still nowhere near as popular as English and History as a BA subject (sadly, Classics and Classical Civilisation are seen as either elitist, not useful or just not taught enough) and I was lucky to do well at A Level. I knew I wouldn't get into Oxbridge, so I didn't bother. My first choice was UCL because I loved the lively, non-elitist department and the uni, London based and founded to help people from all backgrounds receive an education (the only other universities at the time, Oxford and Cambridge, only let in male Christians(- it just felt right. That its one of the most respected in the country just happens to be a bonus. And because not many people apply for my course, the offers are lower- even though I got higher than my offer, I could have got into great places like UCL, Bristol with Bs, as opposed to all As and an extra-curricular activity list the length of my arm. My problem is that I make myself believe that I will do terribly badly. Failing Latin so completely hasn't helped that. I've terrified myself into thinking I won't be able to do an MA at the place I now love and I can't get out of it.
      sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

Originally posted by GateGirl422 View Post
        Which might be marginally better than unsuccessfully blinking back tears and then have your first words be "I, I come from the same country as two great system lords."

I'm about four pages too late, I think, to join in lol. I've had a phenomenally awful week which ended yesterday with a silver lining, so I've had a lot to catch up on. I think one of the great things about Amanda is you can say something as fundamentally stupid as what I said above, and she just grins and says "Really? Which ones? Have you met them? Were they nice?"

Um I don't really know if I fangurl people. I'm not sure what the procedure is... If there's a tutorial I should follow??? But I remember meeting mini, and she was the one who convinced me to join GW. So *hugs mini*. And should probably hug everyone else too....

That's all I have really.
        That's wonderful. And I can't see how AT couldn't have thought that was funny and sweet.
        Those Samandans do post like crazy, don't they? I was out for days last week with essays and a broken computer and I simply didn't have the stamina to read everything. I just went back about a page or so...
        sigpic

Comment

About AT3:

If I just wanted to see Amanda, I'm sure I could find a con a lot closer to me than the other side of the pond. One of the primary draws for me is that there will be so many Gateworlders there to meet. There are so many people on Samanda I want to meet, and to have so many of them in the same place will be such grand fun.

What nonfans don't realize is that fandom is so much more than a television show. It's about meeting people whom you have so many things in common with. There's a given starting point to the conversation, but after that, anything goes. I've had so many excellent conversations with fans that have nothing to do with fandom.

I met my best friend, suse, at Shore Leave over a decade ago, for which I will be forever grateful. We would be very bored if all we had in common was the latest show. Most of the time, we find each other highly entertaining.

Before last summer's Shore Leave, I had spent very little time here, but I had been reading fanfiction for years. I knew exactly who Sky was, and when I met her, I was definitely gobsmacked. I find her more impressive than most of the actors.

Yes, I fangurl Sky. I will never be an actor, but one day, I may be a writer.

I'm starting to fangurl lots of you.

Somebody told me years ago that if I truly wanted to do something, I would find a way to make it happen. AT3 is unlikely on the surface, but I'm going, and I'm dragging suse with me. (Actually, suse is probably dragging me, but that's another story.) I can't wait to see Amanda and sky and mini and TJ and scari and Ooooober and Mandy and RL and tsax and spazzy and FF and CG and starr and....*

*I don't know who's going, so this list is in no way accurate.
          Last edited by scifithinker; 01 April 2007, 06:49 AM.
          sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
          May we all be so well loved.

Comment

CG: have a safe trip and enjoy the family!!!!

I FANGURL MINI!!!!
            ok it is official...I totally fangurl you!!!! Every time you post something about yourself and about who you are I am amazed... Honestly Mini...you are a great person!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
              Leavin' on a jet plane ... okay, Samanda, the Royal Hen is flapping her wings and flying to the great Pacific Northwest to (finally) meet a precious little granddaughter who is almost nine months old!! Yowza! Grandmotherly guilt and all that. Spending Easter with my "other child" and his beautiful family ... the long distance and my lack of finances don't allow for visits too often. I'm finally flying on my very first frequent-flyer voucher!

So, I have some catching up to do - there are two older grandkids whom I haven't seen in over a year either! I have an Olivia of my own who was also born in March. Serious playtime on the horizon.

Keep the playground here neat and friendly 'til I get back! Will try to drop by from my son's laptop but may actually be going to either Victoria or Vancouver as part of the family get together and not have time! Woot!

Packing my bags and the kiddies' presents! As chelle and Amanda remind us, I must go and hug my loved ones!! It's way, way overdue!

You're a great bunch - carry on!! majorsal, kudos on the new AT thread - will contribute when I'm back home.
              Ok CG, now I have that song stuck in my head Hope you have a great trip

(((CG)))
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Caption Time:

You keep this up, and I'll have the elite team of "Samanda's" hunt you down and tickle you until you surrender.

Much credit to Replicatertje and Ann Sgc_Fan for their lovely sigs

Comment

Originally posted by resurgamlaura View Post
                  http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/01/ed...th&oref=slogin

Article in NY Times about the pressure on high-achieving young women at a top college. The title of the article says it all.
                  Thanks for the link, I've saved it so I can read it a bit later on.

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by Sg Gato View Post
                    Caption Time:

Sam: Okay, now you've done it. The colonel doesn't let just anyone touch his remote.
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Sg Gato View Post
                      Caption Time:

"You go to all this trouble just to order a pizza? And you want those toppings? You Goa'uld really are the sick scourge of this galaxy..."

(Because to me the SGC 'remotes' look oddly like the cellphone models from a couple of years back-yep, I'm weird )
                      sigpic

Comment

Hail to the Samandans.

I had one of the worst weeks that I have had in a long time. (It will continue into next week too)

I know that this has happened to some of you as well. I’ve been keeping an under total control appearance through some very stressful and emotional times at my job. Because I have been keeping this wall up even at home it just took one small thing to crack the wall and send everything crashing down.

Unfortunately that one thing that sent the wall crashing down just happened to be here. I took something entirely too personal and it sent me over the precarious edge that I’ve been balancing on. It was my fault for not dealing with separating work and home and keeping this wall up that everything was hunky dory and not bothering me when it had been eating at me.

I shouldn’t have flung my emotional garbage out into a public thread in the manner that I did. I am not usually that type of person who does those types of things. I was just overcome and my little fit throwing happened.

I thought about how I would write this or even if I should or just let it go by but I decided that I need to be honest with myself and you all and post it. :: BIG GIANT SIGH::

So I hope you all will forgive me.

Mary Anne

Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future. Paul Boese

Miss Piggy: [to Gonzo] GET AWAY FROM ME YOU TWIT TURKEY! [to Kermit] Kermit, now that you've begged for my forgiveness [to Gonzo] DON'T TOUCH ME YOU JIVE GEEK! [to Kermit] why don't we just kissy-poo and make up my darling [to Gonzo] YOU'RE BREATHING ON ME! [to Kermit] Kissy-kissy?

Back On TOPIC:

I took some time last night and made a trailer for Sanctuary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5d1YvfXeQg

And that is my peace.

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it."--Thucydides

Comment

I fangurl mini
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I blow a raspberry in her general direction.

FF
                            sigpic

Comment

(((Kir)))

I hope everything turns out okay for you and you are feeling better about things. and I hope you can continue to have fun here with the rest of us
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
                                I blow a raspberry in her general direction.

FF
                                *wipes off glasses* could you have been a little more accurate in your direction
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X