Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
    FAST FORWARD to Toronto, TVM ... Amanda grabs mini's hand and they go skipping down the aisle of the theatre to greet other Samandans.

How far you've come!!
    Amanda is an angel. I met several during the TVM weekend. Each one of them filled me with light. I was very blessed to be there.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/01/ed...th&oref=slogin

Article in NY Times about the pressure on high-achieving young women at a top college. The title of the article says it all. I haven't read beyond the first couple of pages, but I thought it might be interesting- particularly as some fans vocally think that a character like Sam is too 'good' at everything. Welcome to the real world, my friends- where women who are naturally talented feel they have to be good at everything or they've failed- and where their performance generates expectations that generates further performance, to the point where failure becomes anthema. Sound familar?

And I may not have met you, Mingeek, but what I have seen of you here is wholly postive and to know that you have survived and emerged to be what you are is wonderful. I can't put it better than ChopinGal has already, though.
      sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

I knew you were a beautiful person the first time I met you and now I stand in awe of your courage and strength ... minigoddess, not geek.

(((((((((((((((((((mini))))))))))))))))))
        We are all goddesses, CG, you as well. But I accept your hug very gratefully. And right back at you.

The truth is, I receive a great deal of courage and strength directly from the amazing people right here. Several beautiful women from this group have shared their similar experiences with me. We've even shared a few tears, in private (they know who they are). It might seem like a maudlin cliche for those who don't understand if I were to outright state that, "Samanda helped save my life." But that is close enough to true that I don't think I even need to elaborate further. It's the people, of course. Not an online forum. I love you all.

xx
        geek

Comment

Originally posted by resurgamlaura View Post

Article in NY Times about the pressure on high-achieving young women at a top college. The title of the article says it all. I haven't read beyond the first couple of pages, but I thought it might be interesting- particularly as some fans vocally think that a character like Sam is too 'good' at everything. Welcome to the real world, my friends- where women who are naturally talented feel they have to be good at everything or they've failed- and where their performance generates expectations that generates further performance, to the point where failure becomes anathema. Sound familar?

And I may not have met you, Mingeek, but what I have seen of you here is wholly postive and to know that you have survived and emerged to be what you are is wonderful. I can't put it better than ChopinGal has already, though.

Wonderful, insightful article which I'll bookmark for later. I'm a college placement counselor and work hard to de-pressurize the whole college application process for both the kids and the parents. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular View Post

minigeek------ minigeek (aka ilovesushi)

NZBG------ NZNeep (aka imakesushi)

SkyDiver------ Skydiver (aka wecallitbait)

NC
            Hehehe...LOL...funny...very funny!!
            Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
            Deal!! And I'll reciprocate
            Kiwi cousins included
            So...did you win...I don't think I did coz I haven't heard from tattersalls yet...d'oh...damn those numbers!
            A Tribute to Amanda and All Royal Elders of Samanda

"A seasoned woman is spicy", writes Gail Sheehy, the over-50-and-proud author of Passages and founder of the Seasoned Women’s Network online. "She has been marinated in life experience. She is at the peak of her influence and power. She is committed to living fully and passionately in the second half of life, despite failures and false starts.”

Amanda has not yet reached the magical 50s yet but some of us have ... and some of us are beyond that milestone too. Amanda, however, now part of the 40-something demographic, has begun to come into her own in many empowering ways: new projects, new professional responsibilities and titles, and what seems to me, a new energy, vitality, that adds even more to her beauty.

It's been wonderful to watch Sam Carter grow as well.

I couldn't find the most recent photos of Sam in S10 to use but this would be a lovely project: to show a collage of the many faces of Sam ... from her youthful look in S1 to her "marinating" through the ten seasons to a beautiful close-up of her new, mature look in S10. There is such character in her face and a depth that wasn't there when she first walked through the Gate.

That, my younger friends, is the beauty of growing older.
            Awww...that post is worth re posting again...thank you CG...how beautiful is that!
            Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
            I'm slightly bemused by everyone pitching Helen from Sanctuary as a favourite, we haven't seen her yet, while I'm sure AT will be fab, I couldn't judge any character until I've seen them in action. I might not like Helen at all.

FF
            I'm pitching Helen and Ashley coz of what I've seen in the trailer...and coz Amanda plays Helen so she's gotta be kick a$$...IMHO...I have faith that these two will be awesome to watch!
            Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
            Just a quick little something I threw together this morning. Under spoiler for size
            Spoiler:
            http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d93/tsaxlady/ManyFacesOfSamCarter4.jpg
            Sweeeeet!!! that's brilliant tsax!
            Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            I cannot think of a single con runner that sets it up with the attitude of 'ok, yeah, i know i sold 1000 tickets, but i'm gonna do all i can to make sure that only 200 of those 1000 get opportunities for their pics or autos'
            Cons, especially fan run cons, do their best to take care of everyone. Sometimes real life gets in the way, but they try. I much prefer fan cons over pro cons largely because most of them are a 'such and such charity gets the profits' instead of 'ooh, look, if we make this much money our ceo's wife gets a new fur coat'
            Fan run cons are usually more affordable and run wiht a less mercenary attitude than the for profit cons.
            If you go to the con to meet the people, see the actors/guests and to have fun, and consider all those pics and autos to be bonuses, you're likely gonna have more fun than those that aim for the opposite
            Ok...well I just found out last week that we have Teryl and Joe Flannigan coming out to aus in November and the way they are selling the tickets is that there are gold passes where you get a seat and the the opportunity for an autograph and photograph...at extra cost to the $350 ticket...then theres the second rank down where you have the same opportunities but you're seated much further back and then there's the rest where you only get entry...no seating, no photo or autograph ops at all...so I guess it's a case of there are 1000 tickets but only 200 get the pics and auto's...and it's only held in one venue for the one weekend...I want to go but it's not cheap!
            I enjoyed gabit because, as much as the G4 respect amanda and her time and take care of her, they are very aware that if we -the attendees - weren't willing to shell out a few hundred dollars each, they wouldn't have a con. We are just as much a part of the equation as amanda, cause if it weren't for us, she'd never need to get on the plane.

when i go to a con, it is to meet my friends, but it's also a chance to have a tiny moment and to get to know the actor behind the role.

we have the luxury of doing that at a fan con. not so much so at a pro one. thus i prefer fan cons, and i do very much respect the folks that have the thankless job of putting them together.
            I soo want to go to a GABIT event...what do you think the chances are of getting the G$ to organize a weekend with Amanda Down Under???...I know that the cons I go to here are small and really great...but I wouod so love to have Amanda come out...how does one go about getting Amanda out to a con??
            Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
            My only frustration with the Gabit events is that they are only available in the UK. if we could somehow arrange for them to do a wekend in say -- I don't know -- umm Canada? Then I'd be in hog heaven.
            See...we could do one in Canada and one in Australia...you know we are so far away from everyone it's not funny...I reackon the aussies and Kiwi's would have to be the one who travel the furthest to get to cons.......is so bummed!!
            Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
            Ok, one thing to keep in mind. Ticket prices are in pounds so they are twice as much money in US.
            Ok...let me do the math here...........priced tickets to UK in summer/spring time - $2500...ouch!...figured that I'm gonna need around $6000 to get me there and back with living expenses...and I think that has to be a bare minimum...so that's why hubby said no to AT3 but gave the go ahead for AT4......is still bummed!
            Originally posted by NZBG View Post
            Those photos always make me grin goofily at the computer. They are just so full of fun!

Hmm... not only was I born in the wrong decade, but in the wrong hemisphere.
            Well I was born in the right decade just wrong hemisphere...dang living down this way......is still totally bummed!
            Originally posted by L.A. Doyle View Post
            I bet! I ended up riding in an elevator with Carmen Argenziano last weekend. I didn't want to look at him cause I didn't want to stare! But I finally turned and looked his way and he was looking right at me. Deer. In. Headlights. I think I smiled? But he was a real sweetheart everytime I ran into him. He called me a beautiful young lady. *blushes*
            That you are too Jena!!
            ...and i was in the middle of an amanda/rick sandwich and managed to get out of it without making an ass of myself
            ...LOL...would have loved to have seen that one!!!

All this talk of cons has done nothing to help me get there...the only con I really want to go to is the AT event...for obvious reasons...but you know I really want to meet as many Samandans as I can. I think I'd be more nervous about meeting you guys than meeting the queen herself...seriously...I've thought long and hard about it...I think I know what I would want to say to Amanda but you guys....I think I would just cry and never want to go home...sad huh??.....ok...is still totally soooo bummed!
            Night night all...thank you for all the wonderful stories about Gabit and the great pics...I can't wait to be joining in on the fun one day.
            Take care everyone, be safe, stay happy and hug your loved ones!!

(((Samanda)))
            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
              We are all goddesses, CG, you as well. But I accept your hug very gratefully. And right back at you.

The truth is, I receive a great deal of courage and strength directly from the amazing people right here. Several beautiful women from this group have shared their similar experiences with me. We've even shared a few tears, in private (they know who they are). It might seem like a maudlin cliche for those who don't understand if I were to outright state that, "Samanda helped save my life." But that is close enough to true that I don't think I even need to elaborate further. It's the people, of course. Not an online forum. I love you all.

xx
              geek
              I do know of one of our other Samandans whom you mention and found her just as lovely when we met. There was a sweetness/innocence that surprised me. So glad you all found each other and offered support.

Amanda has to feel so gratified that she has been the catalyst for a lot of good karma to explode and shower on her fans.

That's the wonder of the internet - it can be used for good when the right people connect.

Peace!

Comment

Wonderful, insightful article which I'll bookmark for later. I'm a college placement counselor and work hard to de-pressurize the whole college application process for both the kids and the parents. Thanks!
                You're welcome. I think the situation is far worse in the US than in the UK in terms of the pressure on young women to be perfect- to get all the success that the sons do, and yet still fit in with the old view of women. Although saying that, a friend of mine is at a top private school in London- where all the girls going onto university are expected to apply to Oxford or Cambridge and have places like Trinity Dublin and Durham as fallbacks and are worked like crazy.
                She's just had a nervous breakdown. She's been hospitalised. She's eighteen, for god's sake.
                sigpic

Comment

Leavin' on a jet plane ... okay, Samanda, the Royal Hen is flapping her wings and flying to the great Pacific Northwest to (finally) meet a precious little granddaughter who is almost nine months old!! Yowza! Grandmotherly guilt and all that. Spending Easter with my "other child" and his beautiful family ... the long distance and my lack of finances don't allow for visits too often. I'm finally flying on my very first frequent-flyer voucher!

So, I have some catching up to do - there are two older grandkids whom I haven't seen in over a year either! I have an Olivia of my own who was also born in March. Serious playtime on the horizon.

Keep the playground here neat and friendly 'til I get back! Will try to drop by from my son's laptop but may actually be going to either Victoria or Vancouver as part of the family get together and not have time! Woot!

Packing my bags and the kiddies' presents! As chelle and Amanda remind us, I must go and hug my loved ones!! It's way, way overdue!

You're a great bunch - carry on!! majorsal, kudos on the new AT thread - will contribute when I'm back home.

Comment

You're welcome. I think the situation is far worse in the US than in the UK in terms of the pressure on young women to be perfect- to get all the success that the sons do, and yet still fit in with the old view of women. Although saying that, a friend of mine is at a top private school in London- where all the girls going onto university are expected to apply to Oxford or Cambridge and have places like Trinity Dublin and Durham as fallbacks and are worked like crazy.
                    She's just had a nervous breakdown. She's been hospitalised. She's eighteen, for god's sake.
                    Tragic! Our culture is sending the wrong message and the parents need to stand down too in many cases. Thanks again.

Comment

Safe journey, CG! Have a wonderful trip!

Leavin' on a jet plane ... okay, Samanda, the Royal Hen is flapping her wings and flying to the great Pacific Northwest to (finally) meet a precious little granddaughter who is almost nine months old!!

Comment

ChopinGal- hope you have a wonderful time and that your family are well.
                        And on the subject of grandmothers (concerning your lovely green), not sure that mine would relish being called our 'grand dame'- you see, shes' not the oldest on my maternal side. Yep, my mum still has both her grandmothers, still alive and well and truly kicking in their nineties
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post

xx
                          geek
                          Try as I might to explain this to my family and friends, they truly have no idea what it's all about! I call this my happy place...coz you all make me so happy...except when you talk about gabit and how cool it is and I can't get there...D'oH...just kidding!!
                          Samandan's totally rock...you are all such gorgeous people. I can't think of one Samandan who hasn't inspired me or made me laugh!
                          And you mini crack me up all the time...I hope you are going to be at AT4...I know I'm jumping the gun a bit here about AT4 but it has to happen...it's just gotta!!
                          Amanda has to feel so gratified that she has been the catalyst for a lot of good karma to explode and shower on her fans.

That's the wonder of the internet - it can be used for good when the right people connect.

Peace!
                          Yep...well said CG...she has brought us all together from all different parts of the world...all different walks of life...we're all united by the wonder that is Amanda Tapping.
                          I hope your friend will recover quickly...eighteen is far too young to be having a breakdown...unfortunately it's not something new...I know of others who have been in the same situation...why do we do this to ourselves and our children??
                          Leavin' on a jet plane ... okay, Samanda, the Royal Hen is flapping her wings and flying to the great Pacific Northwest to (finally) meet a precious little granddaughter who is almost nine months old!! Yowza! Grandmotherly guilt and all that. Spending Easter with my "other child" and his beautiful family ... the long distance and my lack of finances don't allow for visits too often. I'm finally flying on my very first frequent-flyer voucher!
                          So, I have some catching up to do - there are two older grandkids whom I haven't seen in over a year either! I have an Olivia of my own who was also born in March. Serious playtime on the horizon.
                          Keep the playground here neat and friendly 'til I get back! Will try to drop by from my son's laptop but may actually be going to either Victoria or Vancouver as part of the family get together and not have time! Woot!
                          Packing my bags and the kiddies' presents! As chelle and Amanda remind us, I must go and hug my loved ones!! It's way, way overdue!
                          You're a great bunch - carry on!! majorsal, kudos on the new AT thread - will contribute when I'm back home.
                          Have a great trip CG..be safe and have fun with the grand kiddies
                          And if you make to Vancouver...have fun...I hear it's beautiful there!!

Night night...again!
                          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
                            Try as I might to explain this to my family and friends, they truly have no idea what it's all about! I call this my happy place...coz you all make me so happy...except when you talk about gabit and how cool it is and I can't get there...D'oH...just kidding!!
                            Samandan's totally rock...you are all such gorgeous people. I can't think of one Samandan who hasn't inspired me or made me laugh!
                            And you mini crack me up all the time...I hope you are going to be at AT4...I know I'm jumping the gun a bit here about AT4 but it has to happen...it's just gotta!!

Yep...well said CG...she has brought us all together from all different parts of the world...all different walks of life...we're all united by the wonder that is Amanda Tapping.

I hope your friend will recover quickly...eighteen is far too young to be having a breakdown...unfortunately it's not something new...I know of others who have been in the same situation...why do we do this to ourselves and our children??

Have a great trip CG..be safe and have fun with the grand kiddies
                            And if you make to Vancouver...have fun...I hear it's beautiful there!!

Night night...again!

Lovely things said
                            I sure hope she will as well. She's astonishingly bright and is passionate about what she wants to study further, but she's very eccentric (pot calling the kettle black!), a little highly-strung and not great socially sometimes. I doubt her parents knew quite how bad it was before it all hit the fan-it wouldn't have shown up in her physical health, because that's usually a bit funny anyhow- if she was a character in a Victorian novel, she's be the one in the floaty white dress dying of consumption a la 'The Woman in White'... Like I said previous, natural performance breeds expectation, in other people but even more devastating, in ourselves. I've put myself through it at times. These schools can be great places, but they can also cause huge damage. She knows someone who attended Cheltenham Ladies College for about a term, and they joke that one term was enough for permanent pyschological trauma- its so traditionalist there that the girls aren't apparently allowed to put on plays because its 'unladylike'
                            Anyway. OT babbling Someone get out the gag
                            sigpic

Comment

Lol you and me both.. on the hemisphere thing Next time I get down to NZ we can drown our sorrows together and take pictures

Originally posted by NZBG View Post
                              Those photos always make me grin goofily at the computer. They are just so full of fun!

Hmm... not only was I born in the wrong decade, but in the wrong hemisphere.
                              sigpic

Comment

Article in NY Times about the pressure on high-achieving young women at a top college. The title of the article says it all. I haven't read beyond the first couple of pages, but I thought it might be interesting- particularly as some fans vocally think that a character like Sam is too 'good' at everything. Welcome to the real world, my friends- where women who are naturally talented feel they have to be good at everything or they've failed- and where their performance generates expectations that generates further performance, to the point where failure becomes anthema. Sound familar?
                                A colleague and I were talking a couple of days ago how we think there's a good chance neither one of us would get into the competitive public college we went to with our old high school records. Once we got there, both of us felt inadequate because we weren't nearly as brilliant as some of the people we were surrounded by. I know career-wise, I didn't live up to my potential. It's scary to realize that I peaked in high school.

Have you ever been asked what you fear more than anything else? To this day, it's still failure for me. I think it's true for Sam as well.

Sounds like an upward battle for you. I can see how having you there would help the kids, though.

Tragic! Our culture is sending the wrong message and the parents need to stand down too in many cases. Thanks again.
                                I think the girls themselves can't see how the world doesn't come to a screeching halt because they don't go to their first choice college. I know I couldn't. When your goal is to be perfect for years so you can go to that top school, not getting in is a crushing blow, but twenty years down the road, it's easy to recognize that the sky didn't fall that day.

Sam still would have done great things even if she didn't get in the Air Force Academy. Then again, how could she have not gotten in? One of Sam's central characteristics was that she is the best. Hailey is a better example of what these girls face.
                                sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                                May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Working...
                                X