No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a shame but the interactivity would be out of the question. At least the folks could watch them though. On the other hand, depending on what they charge, it may be more worth it to just get broadband once the fee, cd and shipping is added up .

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
      It's a shame but the interactivity would be out of the question. At least the folks could watch them though. On the other hand, depending on what they charge, it may be more worth it to just get broadband once the fee, cd and shipping is added up .
      I think initially, projects like this will be necessarily limited to those who can afford the technology to participate. Similar to television when it was in its infancy (before there was a tv set in virtually every living room) and the HD medium, not to mention the internet itself as a burgeoning new source for information and media. There was a time not so long ago when having a computer at all was a big deal, never mind a "modem" (a what?!). Or when even a forum page such as this would have only been accessible via the most state of the art computers. In the beginning, those whose technology cannot support the media will either have to upgrade or rely on others to receive it - as history continually repeats its lessons.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Mark Aubenel wrote back to me and gave a little more insight into the pay-per-view thing (I ported his response into the Sanctuary thread). Once we know more about exactly what the format will entail, I really mean it when I say I want to see if we can set up support for as many Samandans as wish to view the episodes but might not otherwise be able to. Whether that is as Sky mentions, by helping set up accounts and sending CDs in the mail, or whether that means that someone can't afford to subscribe but does have the right equipment to download and just needs help with the fees.

In so far as "taking advantage" is concerned, I look at it this way. If someone approaches and says that he or she wants to do this a great deal but cannot afford it, I'll simply believe them. I have yet to meet a dishonest person via this thread. I suppose I also choose to believe that if someone was independently able to purchase their own way through without it aversely affecting their financial situation, they probably wouldn't put their hand up for a leg-up. No sense in second guessing, if you ask me. Ask for help, receive help.

Comment

O.K., fly by post about Amanda's Sanctuary character. I was just on the Sanctuary thread, and Damian gave us a little spoiler.
          Spoiler:
          Helen is 157, but her daughter is only in her midtwenties.

Hmmm, MajorSal, this should make you happy. Evidentally, Helen
          Spoiler:
          has been romantically involved in the not so distant past....Too bad (for her) it was Jack the ripper.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
            Mark Aubenel wrote back to me and gave a little more insight into the pay-per-view thing (I ported his response into the Sanctuary thread). Once we know more about exactly what the format will entail, I really mean it when I say I want to see if we can set up support for as many Samandans as wish to view the episodes but might not otherwise be able to. Whether that is as Sky mentions, by helping set up accounts and sending CDs in the mail, or whether that means that someone can't afford to subscribe but does have the right equipment to download and just needs help with the fees.

In so far as "taking advantage" is concerned, I look at it this way. If someone approaches and says that he or she wants to do this a great deal but cannot afford it, I'll simply believe them. I have yet to meet a dishonest person via this thread. I suppose I also choose to believe that if someone was independently able to purchase their own way through without it aversely affecting their financial situation, they probably wouldn't put their hand up for a leg-up. No sense in second guessing, if you ask me. Ask for help, receive help.
            Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about the folks we 'know' and love. I'm talking of those we don't know (see how many 'hits' this thread has) and unfortunately there are unsavory beings in this world. I know you're not naive and if you have the funds, go for it. As I said before, you're a sweetheart for offering.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              what i'm thinking is....say Jane has high speed and can download. Anyone that can't, sends jane the subscription price, plus a little more for cd's and postage. Jane sets up an account for each person, pays for each sub, then downloads/burns to cd the episodes and mails them out. (Or maybe they'll do something like that for us that can't download)

then the studio gets their money, no one is freeloading, and peopel still get to see it.

Or maybe that's a topic to bring up to damian...that there are people out there that simply can't download and will there be a way for them to see it too
              That's a good idea, Sky! We need to bring that one up to Damian. It is important that the studio gets the funding, and we need to prevent illegal copy (as much as we can) by not being a part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
                Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about the folks we 'know' and love. I'm talking of those we don't know (see how many 'hits' this thread has) and unfortunately there are unsavory beings in this world. I know you're not naive and if you have the funds, go for it. .
                No, I understood that Poz.

And I think we need to establish the format, the cost, the need, etc., then look into establishing a "Samanda fund" of sorts if it's something we can all agree would be worthwhile. I certainly can't claim to be able to support the entire internet viewing audience on my own, ha, I wish! If there's one or two people this affects, it'll be a very simple matter. If there are many, I was just saying that I think it'd be a neat idea for us to come together and work out a strategy. Time will tell on this.

Comment

Originally posted by starrgazer
                  Mini, you are such a wonderful person!!
                  I second that. Massive heart!
                  (Obviously not literally, just, you know - big! Lots of... big-ness. That's not a word is it? D'oh.)
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGirl422 View Post
                    I second that. Massive heart!
                    (Obviously not literally, just, you know - big! Lots of... big-ness. That's not a word is it? D'oh.)
                    Gah stAHp it. It's a reflection of this group, it's not me. I'm just saying... this thread always helps each other out. We all have different strengths, different means, different abilities and from all I've seen from us the past two years I've been here has been that the "kindness reins" motto really does stand up and hold fast. I've benefited tremendously from the kind heartedness of a few people here, not financially but that's not what matters, it's about what we can and do do for one another that makes up our integrity, right? I believe wholeheartedly in life being about "the little things". And this group has really helped me rediscover that belief. So it ain't me. It's the AIR IN HERE.

PS-> Someone posted over on the Sanctuary thread that the cost for iTunes for an episode of SG1 is about $1.99 per and $37.99 for a season.

Lets see what happens. $1.99 per episode is really the price of a cup of coffee. I'm positive we can help one another out wherever necessary.

Comment

Hi everyone,

How is everyone? I haven't been here for a few days so I know I've missed a couple of birthdays so Happy Birthday to anyone I missed hope you had a great day

I do come baring a gift though, I have new vid up, I made it for Eve and thought you all might take a look too its only my second vid so please let me know what you think of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yX1I6E6m5c

Thanks guys

Julia(samcarterrules)
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Mini: do you know it if it will be available for everyone??? I mean or is it so that they will make it first available to the USA and then to everyone else like they do with SG? Cause that would be very frustrated for some

and true it isn't that much money... I am always here to help some people out Just ask... I am sure other Samandans will also help out...that is the beauty of Samanda...

Ok gotta go to work in an hour...Not feeling up to it atm I have a nasty cold grrrrrr...

ETA: Julia...I really liked the vid Thank you so much!!!
                        Last edited by RepliCartertje; 19 February 2007, 09:33 AM.

Comment

It depends on how it's done for me. GIven that i can't download i'd be interested in giving someone the subscription price to download it for me and then have them send me a cd.

course, if it's streaming only with no download/save option, well i'll just have to give it a pass and see if it's ever distributed another way
                          I find streaming a pain - not because I can't do it, but it means much less flexibility in watching. I'd rather download and watch at leisure. The sub quoted above seems extremely reasonable though.
                          scarimor

Comment

it was my understanding that it'd available regardless of location. IE it's not like ITunes which is only available to folks in the US.

thus, if we set up some sort of support system, perhaps there will be one person in the us, one in the uk, one in oz....someone local who helps out someone else local, thus keeping the postage costs down.

and from my pov, if 10 episodes fit on a disc, then i get to glut myself every 10 weeks and not expect someone to mail me a disc out on a weekly basis. if i'm that eager to see it, well i can beat my tush over to panera or a hotel lobby and snurch their high speed
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

it was my understanding that it'd available regardless of location. IE it's not like ITunes which is only available to folks in the US.

thus, if we set up some sort of support system, perhaps there will be one person in the us, one in the uk, one in oz....someone local who helps out someone else local, thus keeping the postage costs down.

and from my pov, if 10 episodes fit on a disc, then i get to glut myself every 10 weeks and not expect someone to mail me a disc out on a weekly basis. if i'm that eager to see it, well i can beat my tush over to panera or a hotel lobby and snurch their high speed
                              Oh ok I like that That is good to know that it will be available for everyone at the same time Also makes it easier to discuss it and all...Cause it is stupid to talk about something 3 or 4 days after it when everyone already pointed out everything...

And I like the idea of a support system...might be a good plan... I think that way everyone will be able to see it...Even the ones who doesn't have fast internet...Cause that also might be an issue... And I think it might be easier to keep it local though...although if are only cd's the postage cost isn't that expensive...

And I think it maybe the best to put as many eps on a disc...Might be easier too

I think we shall see how things work...and work out...

the fact is if anyone is having issues to see it in any way...there is always Samanda where you can go for help!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
                                I find streaming a pain - not because I can't do it, but it means much less flexibility in watching. I'd rather download and watch at leisure. The sub quoted above seems extremely reasonable though.
                                The way channel 4 currently run things is that you pay your 99p and download. The show comes with a 48 hour license which expires 48 hours after the first time you view the show.
                                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Working...
                                X