Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
    I managed to eat my sandwich and drink my champagne without spilling a drop! I think it's a first for me.
    #

Woohoo!!! *claps hands* I knew you could do it.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by Rachel500
      (Apparently Teal'c was the one meant to crossover in SGA S2 according to a transcript of a DVD commentary I read somewhere recently)
      If you can remember where you read this, I'd love a link. It'd be wonderful to know that the writers HAD plans for Teal'c and just didn't follow through (ie Babylon), rather than think that they're just relegating him to another round of bondage.

Comment

Wow. Perfect. Standing ovation. That's it, exactly.

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
        Sally, I think you and several other people are misunderstanding what Amanda is saying. In my opinion, I think Amanda does look at the Sam/Jack story as a love story. There is no doubt in my mind that she believes that the characters love one another; however, what you and others fail to see is that not all love stories were meant to have a happy ending. There are people who fall in love every day who for one reason or another, never get together. There are people who get married and love each other deeply, but can not live with one other and end up divorcing. They may continue to be best friends afterwards and continue to love one another, but they simply choose not to do it as a couple.

I think this is how Amanda see's Sam and Jack. She sees the bond. She recognizes that they care very deeply for one another, but she also sees the UST and in her mind they would be best to just release that tension and move on. That does not make her right or wrong, but it is her opinion and she has the right to express it as much as the next person.

When Amanda is asked a question regarding S/J, she is giving her opinion regarding the characters, not Sam's. In fact, at Shore Leave, LOL4Jack asked Amanda a question regarding Sam/Jack and explicitly requested the answer to be from Sam and Amanda's response was very pro Sam/Jack, but that was Amanda answering a question the way she believed Sam would answer, not how she herself would answer. Also, there were several times during Gabit's Q&A where she made comments that were very pro Sam/Jack.

I seem to recall someone making a comment to Amanda about Sam and under her breath Amanda said Sam was thinking about something else and then quietly muttered 'Jack'.

So while people may not agree with Amanda's opinions, I think we should all try to remember that while she may be an actor doing a job, she is still entitled to express her own points of view.

Kat

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
          Heck I noticed Sunny (((Hugs)))

and good luck catching up

I didn't say diddly about catching up. You ferrets talk WAY too much for me to do that.
          sigpic
          I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post

I didn't say diddly about catching up. You ferrets talk WAY too much for me to do that.
            Dang... Of all the rodents to choose, you chose FERRETS?

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583 View Post
              That was nice of CB and BB, ten years is a very long time and it must be very hard to film when they must have been sad but excited for what the future holds for each of them.
              I have to say that this show really has touched me in a way that no other show ever has and i'm glad to have seen the story unfold over the years and now with the movies taking off in a new direction.
              I hope Amanda gets to do this movie of hers both in front of and behind the scenes as she has huge talent.

That's because BB and CB are NICE folks. I'm sure Amanda, MS or CJ would have done the same thing had things been reversed. It's such a pleasure and a joy to watch actors who REALLY care about their fellow actors working together. That's why SG1 is such an awesome show. That's why FS is an awesome show.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                but ferrets are such cute little critters

sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                  Ses, hun, actors (most actors worth their salt) are all too aware of the fact that many "viewers" (and the studio executives) view them as little more than meat at a market whose integrity (artistic and otherwise) is up for sale. The problem is that, no matter how much some viewers might think artists "get paid to take whatever they're given and like it", there are real people under those character masks. And real artists.

The nature of an artist is to look for ways to evoke a response via their artform, to impart something of relevance. The fact that they might care about their character's integrity (in so much as they've crafted that character for years) is really not something that should be condemned because an artist needs to feel something in order to emote it. They need to care. An artist who doesn't care or who does anything they're told simply for a paycheque is not an artist. If Amanda did not care about Sam Carter's strength and integrity as a character, then Sam Carter would not be half of the fantastic, dynamic and unique character she is today.

Your demand (as a viewer) is not uncommon, but it is (if you can forgive me for saying so) somewhat uninformed. Amanda has a tremendous sense of integrity as an artist, and whether her viewers always 'agree' with every one of her choices for Sam or not, that sense of integrity is what DOES make Samantha Carter shine on screen for us.

I'm a shipper, myself. Not necessarily a hard-core shipper, but a shipper none the less. That doesn't mean I can't see the logic or the caring behind Amanda's (personal) ideals when it comes to the Carter character. Don't sell her short. She's a fantastic artist, and she's good people, too!

mg
                  Couldn't green ya...so here you go...GREEN!!!!!!!

Well said. As an actor myself...it's hard to explain to non actors the fact that it's JUST A JOB! I mean, I'm in a show right now that I'm not overly thrilled about, but since it's been such a long time since I was in a show, I took it. I love acting and I suspect much like Amanda (and I'm in NO way comparing myself to her) and other actors, sometimes one does take a job to simply keep those acting skills fresh...that and to pay the rent/bills. Doesn't mean we have to like what we're given/doing.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
                    I agree. I'm a huge shipper, have been for years. But it reached the point where I just want a resolution. One way or the other. Obviously I'd prefer that somehow they be together and I don't think that it has to interfere with everything else that Sam is, but I could live with a "we tried it, it's not what we thought, let's move on and be good friends".

At this point, I do think there needs to be a "trial period" at least because there has been all this build up and to just pretend that it never happened would be even worse than the ambiguity we've been given.
                    You know...I'm with Amanda so far as resolution goes...have them "knock boots" and get on with life. But by all means, do NOT let it affect their FRIENDSHIP!!! If they're together as a couple, cool. If not, please dear gods do NOT ruin the friendship that Sam & Jack have. Then I'll really be pissed!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                      mwahahahahaha!

*has realized spazzy's fear of FERRETS!!!!

Well considering that most of you folks aren't weasels, I thought ferrets was a better choice.

*wanders off mumbling ferrets, ferrets, ferrets are cute, furry little animals
                      sigpic

Comment

but ferrets are such cute little critters

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/9231/ferretuh3.jpg
                        Wow... Eh, that really looks like a kitten. Yes, they're quite cute from far away.

*holds nose and maintains distance*

Now, are ferrets rodents, or some other critter?

Comment

Here's a question for our Gabiteers

Did anyone get to see an example ot the Spazz Dance
                          NO! But I would have paid dearly to see it.

Personally, I would have doubled the amount I donated to hear Amanda sing if we could have seen her dance like Elaine on Seinfeld. That completely spastic dance makes me chuckle every time I see it. Now, I'm just guessing that Amanda can dance like that, but she's so naturally funny that I think she would be wonderful in a truly comedic role or doing something absolutely zanny like that. I know, I have a sick and twisted mind, but I still think it would have been amusing.
                          Last edited by ForeverSg1; 22 November 2006, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I'm totally the same way. I've fought my fears of heights since I was a child and everyone's told me that if you face your fears they will eventually go away, but I have yet to have that happen. I was so freightened by heights, especially bridges, that I'd have panic attacks every time I went over one. I just remember crying uncontrollably and experiencing vertigo, like Amanda mentioned, every time I I went over one. I purposely chose a university in Salem, Oregon, because I knew it would require me to drive over the bridges in Portland nearly every weekend to visit my friends and family in Seattle. I had hoped it would help to lessen my phobias and while it did eventually get easier, they never completely went away. I know for me, just looking down at the Stargate was hard when I visited the set last March.

But I suppose as an actress you do what you have to for the job. I just know that I have quit several jobs in the past that required me to do things that were excessively high up. I remember quitting one job I had gotten through a placement service after I found out it was on the thirty second floor of a downtown building that used a glass elevator. It just wasn't worth the stress every morning and I left another job that required me to walk along the catwalk of a huge warehouse in order to distribute daily reports. So I can totally respect Amanda for doing things like hanging from the rope all day in 2001 and the like, because it had to be difficult for her even if it wasn't as high up as it was portrayed on screen.

Kat
                            I don't have a fear of heights but I am intensely claustrophobic. I freak to the nth degree.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                              It is actually something she's said before. It's no secret that Amanda's not a shipper (per se!!!). Sam and Jack is only one (potential) aspect of Samantha Carter's character though. And I think your paragraph above is somewhat illustrative of one of the reasons why Amanda really would rather Sam be remembered differently. Sam Carter should be remembered as Sam Carter, period. Not necessarily "Sam (and Jack)" or "Sam married Jack" or "Sam, Jack's wife", etc..... here she's got this fantastic character, and the sad reality is that if Sam and Jack get married in the final episode, she'll be remembered for that more than anything else she's ever been through. As sad as that sounds, it's an unfortunate truth. I got the gist from Amanda that she wasn't against Sam having feelings for Jack at all (she did seem to indicate that she thought the line "not exactly" referred to Sam's heart still being tied up with Jack). But I also got the gist that Amanda would prefer (herself, personally) not to see them end up together due to the possible overwhelming/overshadowing impact that would have on the character she's crafted so articulately and so painstakingly for over a decade. You work that long and that hard to portray a unique and singular character, that to see her become "the girl who married the guy at the end of the series" really puts a harsh damper on all that effort. Viewers, however (and even writers) are fickle that way though. WE would all remember Sam Carter for so much more than that. The more casual rememberance of Sam would not be so thorough or so kind.

Having said that, one never knows where the movies will go. And since it seems that Rick may well be included, Amanda may not get her wish. At the end of the day, she doesn't always get to choose what Sam says or does on screen, even though she has input. So Sam/Jack shipperdom may still get their wishe(s) regardless.

It's all up in the air right now, I think!

I do belive though, that nothing concrete will happen prior to the end of season ten, given that's supposedly something of a cliffhanger anyway, and it certainly does not revolve around Jack's character.

mg
                              Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                              I think it's also a manner of execution...between finesse and overkill.

If in the right hands, it could be written well as simply a small part of her character's life...as in not featured prominently. Subtlety is the key here.

I'd only trust that to Amanda and Rick who proved many times throughout the years that they get it. Reference the force field screen in Divide and Conquer. Words would have ruined that moment I think. They knew better and played it perfectly.

Subtlety and finesse.
                              Exactly. This is why my biggest hope would be just some sort of proof that they are together as a couple and have been since the end of season 8. Period. I don't even need a BHK. This proves that Sam, even Sam who has a personal life and a significant other, can still kick ass since she's been doing so for two years. This would, IMHO, make her a stronger character since, lets face it, most women have some sort of personal life, and many of us manage to balance husbands and kids and careers. I think Sam could, too. I like to think that she has a personal life outside of the SGC in S9 and S10 involving Jack and Cassie and it hasn't interfered adversely with her work. It's not *who she is* anymore than anyone else's relationships define them. I agree making a wedding a huge thing might do this, and some shippers want this, but a lot of us just want subtle acknowledgement that they are together. Otherwise, lets face it, Jack leaving after Threads makes him out to be a bit of a cad....

Comment

NO! But I would have paid dearly to see it.

Personally, I would have doubled the amount I donated to hear Amanda sing if we could have seen her dance like Elaine on Seinfeld. That completely spastic dance makes me chuckle every time I see it. Now, I'm just guessing that Amanda can dance like that, but she's so naturally humorous that I think she would be wonderful in a truly comedic role or doing something absolutely zanny like that.
                                OH MAN!

Someone has to ask her at Avalon what this was about:

!!!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X