Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LtColonelSamC View Post
    having a sax in the band would be kind of fun actually...

thanks for the info, CG!
    *I think I wanted to faint when I read $1000-2000 though, but it's all worth it to see Amanda...must save money...must save money...Must do all the things I stated in my list...*
    *runs off to find science friend who will build machine to make my parents say yes...*
    Well, you have to break it down....

Tickets are about £120ish ($200)
    Accommodation is £40 per night if you are sharing ($80 per night)
    Return flights are going to be $500 at least.

So it does add up. Plus you need money to spend and money for food when you're over here.

However. You break the cost up. You don't need to book your flights the minute you buy your ticket, you can spread it over a few months.

And it is 100% worth it. Forget Amanda for a second. The Gateworlders, the people from the Gabit boards, all Amanda's fans, the hearing dogs, not to mention the G4....

It would be worth it for them alone.

Then you get Amanda as well.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
      Well, you have to break it down....

Tickets are about £120ish ($200)
      Accommodation is £40 per night if you are sharing ($80 per night)
      Return flights are going to be $500 at least.

So it does add up. Plus you need money to spend and money for food when you're over here.

However. You break the cost up. You don't need to book your flights the minute you buy your ticket, you can spread it over a few months.

And it is 100% worth it. Forget Amanda for a second. The Gateworlders, the people from the Gabit boards, all Amanda's fans, the hearing dogs, not to mention the G4....

It would be worth it for them alone.

Then you get Amanda as well.
      She's like this really, juicy cherry on top of an already hefty ice cream sundae.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
        She's like this really, juicy cherry on top of an already hefty ice cream sundae.
        Spazzy! Could you not have come up with a different analogy?! Every time I think of cherries, I think of sucking and.... well.... non-PG stuff. And I'm still in the "Do not drool over Amanda" stage of things.

But yeah, it's totally true. Big cake, yummy cake, Amanda is the icing.
        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

And ice cream is my weakness.

My brother-in-law specifies whether he'd like 'a scoop' or a 'my sister's/my last name size scoop'. Then of course he adds chocolate sauce. He's a much worse chocaholic than any woman I have ever met.

Suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.
          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
            Fic Rec: It's the Little Things, by Julie Fortune. It's gen, Sam Whump. A bit of violence and the other likes you'd find in a whump fic, so its not for the kiddies
            Thanks for the rec and the warnings, AD. You know how I hate Sam whumping.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
              Plus you need money to spend and money for food when you're over here.
              I take it begging is out then?

Comment

But if the food just comes back up, I guess you could save money by not eating at all
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
                  Hi all. I mainly want to say - I LOVE THIS THREAD. I wish I had hours and hours (and days and weeks) to read every single post here because there's so much great stuff. (I could read about Sam/Amanda gushing all day long.) The thing is, I just know that I'll *never* finish reading them all! Part of my problem is that I am just starting on Stargate Atlantis and I've been avoiding posts about the show so I won't be spoiled. I think the last episode I watched was "Home" (season 1 episode 9). I know Amanda has guest appearances on SGA, so I'm very much looking forward to it. As for discussions about Amanda in season 4 - I believe I posted this before - I don't know enough about SGA to make an informed decision, but my knee-jerk reaction is, "More Amanda? Bring it on!"

Edit: I looked back at my earlier post and what I said was I would tell the writers on SGA, "Let her visit and don't screw it up!"

Other random thoughts:
                  --Like many others have said, I'm very proud to count myself as a Sam/Amanda fan. I'm only sorry that I started watching so late in the game (just a few months ago) and have never had the opportunity to see her in person. I console myself with the fact that conventions almost never fit in with my work schedule.
                  --I really want to see more Sam/Vala interaction. They are such interesting characters - so very different. (Yeah, I daydream about a body-switching episode between Sam and Vala. So sue me. )
                  Oooh goody, a new member Do you happen to play an instrument to join the band
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
                    Hi all. I mainly want to say - I LOVE THIS THREAD. I wish I had hours and hours (and days and weeks) to read every single post here because there's so much great stuff. (I could read about Sam/Amanda gushing all day long.) The thing is, I just know that I'll *never* finish reading them all! Part of my problem is that I am just starting on Stargate Atlantis and I've been avoiding posts about the show so I won't be spoiled. I think the last episode I watched was "Home" (season 1 episode 9). I know Amanda has guest appearances on SGA, so I'm very much looking forward to it. As for discussions about Amanda in season 4 - I believe I posted this before - I don't know enough about SGA to make an informed decision, but my knee-jerk reaction is, "More Amanda? Bring it on!"

Edit: I looked back at my earlier post and what I said was I would tell the writers on SGA, "Let her visit and don't screw it up!"

Other random thoughts:
                    --Like many others have said, I'm very proud to count myself as a Sam/Amanda fan. I'm only sorry that I started watching so late in the game (just a few months ago) and have never had the opportunity to see her in person. I console myself with the fact that conventions almost never fit in with my work schedule.
                    --I really want to see more Sam/Vala interaction. They are such interesting characters - so very different. (Yeah, I daydream about a body-switching episode between Sam and Vala. So sue me. )
                    Hi Welcome! As far as AT coming over to Atlantis I think many of us are saying the same thing as you. We want to see Sam (for me guest appearances are ideal because we still get a glimpse of one of my favorite SG-1 character) on Atlantis and hoping beyond hope that tptb don't mess it up!

If you are a new fan of SGA, which season did you start watching SG-1? I'm afraid I've seen only a handful of Atlantis episodes so I can't help you much there. I'm sure there are plenty of Samandans (Sam/Amanda) fans that can suggest some of their favorite episodes of SG-1 and SGA.

Some of my favorite SG-1 episodes are "Singularity" "Solitudes" “2010” "Window of Opportunity" "Lost City" & "Threads"

SGA Episodes "Grace Under Pressure" and "McKay. & Mrs. Miller"
                    Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 30 November 2006, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Oh. My. Goodness.

AT3!!!!!!!

You don't understand quite how much I want to go. Plus I might actually have money by that point. Oh my goodness, oh my goodness! Another chance to meet all the Samandans and everyone! I can't believe it!

As for the Samandan Band, I only play clarinet, sax, piano and flute, none of which would be that useful, unfortunately
                      Hi Tracy Jane, how are you, I know how you feel about AT3 I squeeled when I read it LOL.

As for the Samanda band, can I play triangle? LOL

Julia(samcarterrules)
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
                        Congrats, mini! Amanda was the host for a WIFTI awards show a couple years back and it was quite a hoot. She seemed very nervous and a bit tipsy which she implied as she ad libbed her way through the night. At the very end, Jackie Samuda (Nirrti) who was then WIFTI President I believe presented AT with a bouquet of flowers. There was a gospel choir or such who sang and Amanda quipped that they were dressed like System Lords. She was so funny.

Anyone else see the show? MajorSam had shared the video clips with me at the time.

I'm thinking it was WIFTI but may have been just the Canadian version of WIFTI. The awards show was honoring Canadian women and ran from Vancouver.
                        You're talking about the Spotlight Award Gala I think. I've seen it, it was broadcasted on the internet and I stayed up to see it (maybe I shouldn't have mentionned that lol I don't even want to remember what time it was for me in France at the time !!) And you're right Amanda was very funny !!
                        Ok I checked and the links I gave are broken I'm sorry if some of you tried to see the videos.
                        They are on the AT Club (I check this time http://www.theamandatappingclub.net/...nc=select&id=8
                        And congratulations Mini
                        Last edited by Famantha; 30 November 2006, 06:52 PM. Reason: links were broken
                        sigpic

Comment

yes, you poor thing!!

how CAN you stand it
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Oh, just a note. I finally sorted through my pics and if anyone wants me to share my gabit and avalon ones, just pm me with your addy and i can mail you a cd.

Needless to say, i'm sharing so y'all can enjoy and please don't post them anywhere.
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Hi all. Thanks for the welcomes. I'm not actually *brand* new. I've posted on this thread a couple of times. But I'm always amazed and astounded by how fast this thread grows. And as I said, I never tire of reading all good things about Sam/Amanda.

To answer some questions (I sincerely apologize for those that have read this from me many times) I got into SG-1 just a few months ago. I had found Farscape over the summer and became addicted to THAT (and fell in love with Claudia Black and Ben Browder). It was enough to convince me to start watching SG-1, for more Claudia and Ben. I contemplated starting with season 9 or trying to watch the "relevant" episodes from season 1-8 before diving in, but fortunately I listened to the many people who said I should just watch from the beginning. I fell in love with the show and now when people ask which episodes to watch, I tell them they should watch them all!

In any case, in a few months I watched all of SG-1 so far (own all the DVDs and downloaded season 10 so far on iTunes). I have watched the first 9 eps of SGA. I've been a little crazy with work, so I had to take a break, but I'll get back to season 1 soon. (Own the DVD, of course.) I've been trying to figure out exactly how to catch season 2 (not on DVD yet, not on iTunes).

That's pretty much it. It will be nice to get totally caught up with SGA so that I won't start freaking out when people bring it up in this thread.
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                                Well I don't play an instrument, and I can't sing well....I guess that means I can be a back up singer
                                I can play a bit of banjo of but nothing like Dipsojazz. Oh I know!! I can play a mean set of spoons !

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
                                Cross posting see this post by JuliaR - AT3 count me in
                                Originally posted by suse View Post
                                18 months should be enough time to save up.

1st thing. Passport.

Suse
                                Have that ready and waitng!

*squees for like the second time in my whole life*

Thanks for posting this, tsax. Count me in, too!

*****SNIPPAGE******.
                                Barring some unforseen calamity....I'm going this time around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
                                We MUST get you across the pond for this! You won't regret it. Okay, USDs are pathetic in rate of exchange - who knows what will be in 18 months - but, as a rule, one British Pound is worth half the American dollar which translates to: spending 5 GBPs is almost 10 American dollars

Airfares can run from $400 to about $750 from east coast to London depending on how early you book. Warning: don't book too early (months ahead) because you may get burned if Amanda has to cancel or reschedule. I made this mistake the very first GABIT scheduled ... I booked three seats at a terrific "sale price" for me, my daughter and baby granddaughter. Months later, just as event was getting near, Amanda had a conflict and the event was cancelled. British Air would not refund or transfer any of the tickets. We flew over and made a week of it in a small town (with a castle) and visited my daughter's friends instead. At least we found a Plan B.

Hotel rates will be offered at a special price through GABIT and you won't have to pay that horrible VAT (tax) - I just found out this trip but too late to use it, that there may be a way to get a refund on VATs if you fill out a special form on way out of country. Hotel will come in around $150-160 USDs per night if you share a room then you can divide in half. Always get the breakfast included package - it's a good buffet and well worth it.

Pubs and restaurants ... allow extra money for food the whole weekend ... $20 USDs a meal is reasonable and modest.

Cabs and buses to get around ... anywhere from $4 to $18-20 USDs. London tube (underground) to get into heart of London ... travel passes cost maybe $10 up USDs.

I keep quoting American dollars but you'll need to think about registration for GABIT too which is another couple hundred dollars. Thinking $1000 to $2000 window for relaxing and covering all your expenses. Start dropping those pennies ... I'm in the same boat! Must think about this and plan long term.

Maybe we can start a back-and-forth section when time comes for everyone to share the best deals on travel/air fares and other tips to save $$ ... and help each other out.

Ann, I never went to a con and was really skeptical ... but Amanda was the drawing card and I never regretted it. This is a very friendly event due to the low numbers and the special attention of the GABIT directors/staff to everyone who comes.

Must be off to work (so I can earn American dollars to pay for British cons!)

Cheers, CG

Wow Thanks for that break down CG!! That will help a lot in my planning $2000 Hmm, lemme think, how many pennys is that ?

Comment

Working...
                                X