Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55
    tsaxlady--thanks for the RDA pictures. You lucky lady.

I've been avoiding this last round of spoilers but the tone surrounding them here is less than reassuring. Not that I'm surprised. This is the first time since I've been watching Stargate that rather than excitement, I feel trepidation over the new season. Pretty sad. The only thing I'm hanging on for is AT and the visits from RDA--but I'm a bit worried about what the writers will have done there.

I'd love to see Stuck too. I'd even watch the Donor if I could find it, but so far I draw the line at buying it. Of course I never thought I'd buy "The Void" either. But at least The Void was a starring vehicle for AT. I believe her part is fairly small in the Donor. And may I just again lament that we haven't seen AT in the *lead* in those Canadian tv movies that have come to Lifetime? What was that one from a few years back where she played a doctor (I think a Danielle Steele movie)? She totally outshone the supposed lead.
    Hey jckfan, I share your sentiments on all of this. After just reading more Spoilers today, I'm thinking I may need a prescription for tranquilizers to even view these episodes. (Slaps head to forehead and exclaims, "What are they thinking?")

I did the same thing - bought The Void. Not sorry as Amanda at least had the lead role and she was so good in it. Not surprising of course but the movie did not do her stellar talent justice. Once Stargate is a thing of the past, she'll hold her own. She's now ready for directing and possibly producing. Women in their 40s are just peaking.

I hope we can all continue to follow her career and support her. There's a Samandan Sisterhood here who will not desert her. (And fraternity too, guys!)

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
      Hey chaps, perhaps you can help resolve a friendly personal dispute argument conflict of interpretation I'm having over Emancipation...
      Spoiler:
      The scene in Turgan's tent, right after Sam's foiled attempt escape: Turgan remonstrates with the recaptured Carter... Carter stops him from beating his wife... Turgan grabs Carter, plants one on her, threatens her... /cut

... what's supposed to have happened between then and the next time we see Carter outside?
      Nothing. The steely look and fire in her eyes scared the bejeezus out of him. Threw him off his game. He was not used to women looking him in the eye.

He then shoved her to the side and asked the women to dress her in something more demeaning and subservient. He was unnerved by her audacity and spunk and it was a forerunner of her confronting him later in hand-to-hand combat.

IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Nothing. The steely look and fire in her eyes scared the bejeezus out of him. Threw him off his game. He was not used to women looking him in the eye.

He then shoved her to the side and asked the women to dress her in something more demeaning and subservient. He was unnerved by her audacity and spunk and it was a forerunner of her confronting him later in hand-to-hand combat.

IMHO
        I like your opinion CG
        BTW have you gotten over the fact that Cam is impersonating the Royal Jester
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          the jury is still out on that one.

and i don't think it needs spoiler tags since it's a s1 eps but things range from

turghan whumping on her
          trughan raping her

neither of which seem to jive with the happy smiling sam we see later

you know, i've never thought of him punishing someone else and making sam watch. that would have been brutal for her, and much more effective, imho, than hurting her h imself
          Yes, empathetic suffering would hurt Sam more, I believe.
          scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
            Yes, empathetic suffering would hurt Sam more, I believe.
            I'm sure it would. She always looks out for people, what's best for them. She has a very caring nature and the tendency to protect those she can.
            The most obvious exemple besides that is Cassie, IMO and ATM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
              I think I may be the only person here who thinks the idea of
              Spoiler:
              Daniel becomiing a prior
              could be an interesting storyline. (And just as an aside, I almost felt the need to preface this post with *warning, positive thoughts ahead.* lol)

All other thoughts in spoiler space-for those with stronger wills than I, who want to remain spoiler free and won't click. Sadly, I have the will of brie cheese.

Spoiler:
              I know there are a million ways tptb could screw this up. But there are a lot of ways it could be great. Now, I'm not in-tune enough with earlier spoilers to klnow how Daniel gets separated from the team long enough to be turned. But I can imagine the guilt the other team members might feel for 'allowing' that to happen.

Even if it wasn't something as audaciously clear-cut as Mitchell having screwed up, causing Daniel to be left behind somewhere, even if however he gets into a place to be Orified is completely out of the team's control Sam, especially, is likely to feel responsibility. And that could lead to some great scenes for Sam.

If they let this arc play out over several episodes, we could see how the team would handle trying to find a way to get Daniel back, while at the same time dealing with their normal SG1 duties, all while carrying the emotional load of having 'lost' their friend to a horrible fate.

If it plays out over time, the team would almost have to have some interaction with Prior!Daniel-and those could be some awesome scenes. Seeing Sam trying to reason with a Daniel who is lost to Origin? That would be a script AT could sink her teeth into.

And when they get Daniel de-Priored, Daniel dealing with everything he did/went through as a prior could be great. And it could be a way of connecting Daniel and Teal'c.

I'm going to be optomistic about this spoiler.

But seriously. I'm really, really going to STOP reading spoilers.

I am!

I swear.

I think.
              You've got some good ideas there,
              Spoiler:
              but I don't think I could take it if they left him like that! I love Daniel too much for him to be a prior forever. Talk about splitting up the team!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

IMHO
                Yeah, I think he was trying threats only at that point. He was definitely confused by her. I loved AT's acting when the daughter says "if you don't obey he will kill you." And she just says quietly "I know."

As far as The Void--not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination, but IMHO it did showcase AT's talent. I believe she raised the level of that particular project. And even if her part in "Engaged to Kill (aka Abby Lord) was small, at least it did show potential casting directors she can be a completely different character than Sam Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by Padme18
                  Good point, I always assumed he beat her. Rape never came to my mind, but it is possible.
                  And it'd be interesting to think that she put on a smiling face despite the pain. I've read many a fic that addressed that issue. A couple of them were very well-written!

Comment

Originally posted by suse
                    Could have been several things.
                    Maybe
                    Spoiler:

-she was forced to watch while he beat his wife (a real deterrent to running away again.
                    -she was beat herself. Though she was moving pretty easily. Though there's a fanfic that uses that plants numbin/healing properties to cover that aspecy.
                    -she was raped. Doubtful as there seemed to be no aftershocks. Though Daniel didn't have any either after Hathor. And Sam at this point would never let them know she was a "weak link" as a woman.
                    The good Mogul seemed to think Turgan would wait til night to sample his new aquisition. Perhaps there is some taboo. Though he may not have counted on Sam pissing Turgan off.
                    I'm sure I was no help at all.

Suse
                    I got the impression that Turghan hadn't beaten his wife - Nya thanked Sam for what she did for her mother. Why would she have done that if her mother had been beaten for something Sam had done?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                      I got the impression that Turghan hadn't beaten his wife - Nya thanked Sam for what she did for her mother. Why would she have done that if her mother had been beaten for something Sam had done?
                      good point, I had forgotten about that, so I'm leaning towards the belief that he did beat her
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Hum, derailing from the discussion here but...
                        It seems Amanda is going to make an apperance in Atlantis's "McKay and Mrs. Miller"!
                        Interesting! But not so great if we want to see more of her on SG-1

=> More info

Comment

A change of topic here, but not OT. I heard a song on the radio today that made me automatically think of Sam Carter. It was Aquarius by Fifth Dimension, I mean even the name of the group made me think of Sam
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

spoilers for s10's ep, 'the shroud'

Spoiler:
                            i'm sure anyone that's read the spoilers for 'the shroud', knows that something horrible 'might' have happened to daniel... i say might, because the teaser spoiler might have been misleading and daniel might be undercover (hope not; i'm yearning for some REAL drama to happen on this show). anyhoo, i have a slight whine i want to share with you guys, concerning this scenario...

here michael wanted to spend some time with his family (wife gave birth to their newest child not long ago). so, ms asks for some time off, which becomes 4 eps he's going to miss in s10.

amanda was on maternity leave at the beginning of s9, which become 5 eps she missed.

ms -as it seems- was given a HUGE storyline to cover his time off.

amanda was given the storyline that she was helping cassie and working at area 51. and when she came back, it was with the big tadoo of a 'wee *yawn* we're glad you're back *yawn again*'.

why couldn't the writers have given sam a huge storyline too?

i've wondered if the writers wondered when amanda would actually be back. would five weeks of maternity leave be enough for her? and when she came back, would she be in the condition to handle those long hours again? so i'm wondering if sam's ho-hum return and time on screen was actually the writers giving 'amanda' the time she needed to recuperate from childbirth and handle a new baby?... i hope that's it, and not because sam carter was fazed out of the new and improved fargate.

this entire post (this part at least) is basically me whining about the spoilers for 'the shroud'. while -as a fan- i'm intrigued on what they're going to do to daniel (and i'm hoping it's dark and not whitewashed), and also a bit jealous that sam hasn't been given something this meaty too.

BUT, amanda seemed to be really jazzed for things in s10, so...

k, i'm going to give you my wish for s10 and the future. i don't think i need spoilers, but i'm going to put them in anyways.

spoilers for s10

Spoiler:
                            here's what i want, as a sam fan and s/j shipper.

i want the second half of s10 to go in a certain direction. first, i want to either have it show that sam and jack are already married, or that they're going in that direction. second, i want things to start going in a direction that it's becoming apparent that the spinoff is going to be sam focused. and i want it that sam is given command of a starship (with a stargate 'on' it). if s10 is the same as s9 -mitchell, vala, daniel/vala- i think i want sam as far from this show as humanly possible.

so s10 ends with us knowing that sam and jack are together, and that sam's transferring off of sg1 to command her own ship. the new show - Stargate: Phoenix - will center around sam commanding, with her supporting cast a cast of newbies. the basis of the story is the Phoenix travels to other galaxies, but also can stay in our galaxy because of its own stargate on board. LOTS of potential for action/mission storylines, while still keeping the interpersonal relationships aspect of the show. you know, like stargate sg1 used to be like.

why am i talking so much?

okay, typing.

thoughts? feelings? itches?

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

I know Sky will probably smite me for my off topicness, but the bar is now open to celebrate the fact that I have FINISHED MY DEGREE!!!!! I find out in two weeks or so what my final result is, but for now, no work, no more exams, no assignments and no alcohol. Whoops. Scrap the last one. I may have been secretly supping tonight
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Aw.

I'm watching Revelations right now (so glad I voted for it in our Seasons of Sam tourny) and I never noticed before-when Sam gets zatted by Osiris in the lab, and her hologram collapses to the floor on the ship-Teal'c reaches out to catch her.

Very sweet.

Comment

Working...
                                X