Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    I think though that you've hit on why it won't happen.
    Spoiler:
    They have THAT much chemistry. It's golden! It's magical! Transcendent even!!! [okay I might be overstating here a bit. ] And while I am someone who appreciates the ship factor between their characters, I am also not necessarily referring to that element of their dynamic.

They have "IT" and "IT" developed so beautifully for years. They play so naturally off each other and I credit that to the natural chemistry that RDA and Amanda share as friends offscreen and as professionals with a common outlook for the franchise onscreen.

Nothing on SGA compares to this yet and showing them together in any capacity would overshadow the SGA characters or...even worse...highlight how poorly they've developed the SGA cast comparatively speaking.

The cynic in me is also screaming that this is why we get so little Jack (and so far ZERO Sam/Jack [friendshippy/shippy or otherwise]) on SG-1. Having him there too much only puts a big ol' spotlight on the shallowness of their new characters and character relationships.

Please let us be wrong, but I suspect we'll see Sam and McKay working with each other long distance via telescreen like she did with McKay and Miller when they were travelling to Atlantis. Jack won't even be in the same room when McKay's talking to her I'll bet.
    Uh-huh! I think this is exactly what will happen also. <sigh>

Suse
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      I agree with your analysis. I'd be willing to bet that IF
      Spoiler:
      Sam is in The Return, it will be as a cameo and she and Jack will never EVER share one moment in any scene. And I don't mean alone...I mean AT ALL. Period. Like you said, they are the bigwigs of the franchise and they'd immediately eclipse the others.
      I of course wouldn't mind it, but I certainly ain't holding my breath.
      Friday's SGA
      Spoiler:
      I bet we get something like the scene in Letters from Pegasus. I was so disappointed that night. Amanda's name is in the credits as a guest star, and all she has is one line at the very end. Please! What a waste! I'd rather she not be in the episode at all if that's all we are getting.

I wouldn't mind her saying goodbye to Jack as he left for Atlantis though. Just the two of them walking down a corridor at the SGC with Sam updating Jack on the situation in Atlantis (maybe some meaningful looks and a good bye kiss---sorry, couldn't resist).

Comment

Hoping for some help from fellow Aussie's here.
        I really like Stargate Atlantis, and seeing as Amanda has guest starred on SGA I have even more reason to want to see the latest seasons. I have only seen SGA season 1 so far. I thought that when channel 7 brought SG1 season 9 on air that they would also air season 2 of SGA.
        I barely watch tv anymore (any spare time I have for entertainment is usually spent here in Samanda, watching DVD's or being involved in MMO's), so I'm really not clued in as to what's on tv or when at the moment. Now just so you don't all think I'm a completely lazy git I actually did bother to go scouring an online tv guide before posting here, but does anyone know when Australia is going to get Stargate Atlantis season 2?

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
          then again, i thought it was dancer who'd heard the rumour and posted about it here a coupla weeks ago.
          LOL, the only way I would've heard the rumor is if I had gotten the info from the showfax sides I foolishly downloaded... And had there been black-and-white proof in those little babies, I would've shouted it from the rooftops.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
            Spoiler:
            Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'd love for the episode to be feature them heavily. The O'neill/Carter (not necessarily shippy) dynamic is a huge part of SG-1's longtime staying power. Carter, Teal'c, O'neill, and Daniel all had unique, individual relationships with each other. That's what made the show so appealing almost all the time. It didn't matter who was featured heavily in an episode or what was going on or who was paired with who--it was going to be interesting. The way that O'neill and Carter bounced off of each other and the natural way that they worked together made a lot of the more commonplace and "mundane" parts of a given script enjoyable and interesting. It's my opinion that Atlantis doesn't have that.

"Hand signals! I'm waving you up!"

But, you're right. I'm betting on no contact and a minor role (if any), for Carter. I'd love to be wrong about all of it, though.
            First of all, ROFL @ the "hand signals" reference. Too funny.

Secondly,

Spoiler:

To be honest, I'm not so sure I WANT to see Sam and Jack in The Return, for so many reasons that you've already said. Also, I don't want to bring that kinda potential chaos over to the unsuspecting Atlantis fans, who are hoping that THEIR idea of team is achieved. The SG-1 fan in me wouldn't mind seeing a little of la SG-1 familia on Atlantis. The selfish shipper in me might even be able to wrestle up a squee! at the suggestion. Still, as you so eloquently said earlier, golfbooy... Heh, "if they so much as sniff the same scene," it'll no longer be about the Atlantis characters, and it will be ALL about Jack and Sam. Not good.

I have no doubt that they're going to try to pack a whole lot of information into those 40+ (42?) minutes, and any distractions from that end would not bode well for anyone, least of all Sam... Again, for various reasons.

After we talked about it this afternoon, I wondered if maybe the little write-up on SciFi.com was true, to the extent that Carter really will be helping McKay out, but misleading in the sense that Carter won't actually be seen. Though it's evidently now normal for them to not mention Carter in previews (a la M&MM), I honestly don't think that we online fans would've been able to go this long without catching a hint of some kind that she was going to be on - even if it's via subspace satellite (or whatever the hell kinda crazy tech they call it) for a page of dialogue.

Do I have too much faith in the tenacity of the spoiler hungry among us? Maybe. However, if Carter's in this episode for any length of time, I'll be surprised that they managed to keep it a secret - whether it was purposeful or not, the upholding of "secrets" is rare.

Seeing is believing. And, if they do have Sam and Jack in sniffing range, I hope they don't screw up a unique chance to show that two, top-heavy SG-1 characters CAN, indeed, co-exist in Atlantis' realm, without taking much away from their existing ensemble. I think now is probably the best time to prove (to us, anyway) that they can pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
              LOL, the only way I would've heard the rumor is if I had gotten the info from the showfax sides I foolishly downloaded... And had there been black-and-white proof in those little babies, I would've shouted it from the rooftops.
              OK, I went back and figured out what I was thinking of. Turns out I conflated two separate 'Where's Carter?' discussions that occurred very close in time Sep 11-13 (or 14-16th for the South Pacific folk).

The first was Agent_Dark
              Spoiler:
              reporting on a magazine interview tidbit with AT in which she referred to working with McKay and the sinking of a set. There was much back and forth speculation on whether this referred to The Return, Submersion, or Grace under Pressure.

Shortly thereafter you, dancer, wrote a post with a lot of acronyms and the words "production schedule" -- at which point I: a) grumbled about never knowing anything that all the cool kids everyone else knows, and b) cried out with much anger and lamentation about the continued practice of shooting multiple eps concurrently.

Finally, the answer to the riddle of "who had heard the rumour about AT being in The Return" is ***drumroll*** Rachel500!

I can rest easy now (at least until Friday, when I will await with much anticipation reports on the SGA: Return guest star roster).
              Last edited by DEM; 18 September 2006, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                OK, I went back and figured out what I was thinking of. Turns out I conflated two separate 'Where's Carter?' discussions that occurred very close in time Sep 11-13 (or 14-16th for the South Pacific folk).

The first was Agent_Dark
                Spoiler:
                reporting on a magazine interview tidbit with AT in which she referred to working with McKay and the sinking of a set. There was much back and forth speculation on whether this referred to The Return, Submersion, or Grace under Pressure.

Shortly thereafter you, dancer, wrote a post with a lot of acronyms and the words "production schedule" -- at which point I: a) grumbled about never knowing anything that all the cool kids everyone else knows, and b) cried out with much anger and lamentation about the continued practice of shooting multiple eps concurrently.
                Ah yes... I think it's all coming back to me. I remember thinking that I hadn't been on GW or Samanda consistently in a while, and I used what little time I had to gripe. Heh. Whoops!

Spoiler:

Was this when I hoped/prayed that The Road Not Taken would contain some interaction between the rest of the team while Sam was away? And even, perhaps, some teaminess at the beginning and end of the episode?

I can understand the concurrent production snafu at this stage of the race - especially if they were scrambling to leave 2-3+ weeks or however long to prep/film the series *begrudging sniff* finale. I don't claim to know that process beyond the bare basics, but I'd imagine that getting the finale in order would take quite a bit of time. And I'm sure they'd want to make sure that all of their ducks were in a row for the rest of the eps, before they tackled the last two. Then again...

Spoiler:

Admittedly, there is the speculation of exactly HOW long they've had to prepare for this thing... Which is, by logical accounts, evidently quite a long time.

Spoiler:
                Finally, the answer to the riddle of "who had heard the rumour about AT being in The Return" is ***drumroll*** Rachel500!
                Oooh! Rachel... Very exciting! Inquiring minds want to know if this was intuition or elementary deduction skills.

I can rest easy now (at least until Friday, when I will await with much anticipation reports on the SGA: Return guest star roster).
                Maybe we'll get lucky and there'll be some clip/mention in the vignette this week on AOL.

Comment

OK... I went back to those posts from last week, thought about what I'd said, and realized that maybe I needed to provide some clarification.

Spoiler:
                  First, I still think there is an article out there where it's established that Bad Guys and TRNT were being shot at the same time. And I can't for the life of me remember where it is, but I also distinctly remember that, when the cast was being interviewed for that video that was put online the week after news of cancellation broke, it was said that they'd interviewed everyone on the set of Bad Guys - everyone but AT. Combine that with the fact that the showfax sides (or GW or OS spoilers - which probably came from the same source of sides) indicated that Sam wasn't in (much of) the episode.

Also, Kett, the woman who organizes Shore Leave every year, did actually mention in the Shore Leave 29 Thread that, when she made her annual rounds to the studio in Vancouver, they were filming TRNT, and that most of the cast was "off" for the week.

OK. I hope that clears things up a bit. I'm sorry... Most of the time, if info is posted on the forum, on youtube or in a mag, I merely consume it without properly documenting where I found the info. But I think that about sums it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                    Company of Theives:
                    Spoiler:
                    It was ok. Sam was pretty (edit: hahaha, that was meant to be 'pretty good' It can stay as it is ), I really liked the ending where she mentioned she 'already had' informed Earth that they'd declared war on the Lucian Alliance. Maybe we'll get to see some Ass Kicking Sam later on (ie 'Enough is enough - I've had it with this Mother****** Alliance on my Mother****** ship' ).
                    Go baby go!
                    Spoiler:
                    And Sam/Vala fixing the engines! And Vala not wanting to risk Sam's life and instead beaming out the bad guy! Their luv is pure! <insert Sam/Vala icon>
                    Spoiler:
                    Did you see that wink that Vala gave Sam? And Sam twizzled her socket wrench in response. Oooh! *wiggles*

Spoiler:
                    Also, Mitchell going undercover was pretty cool. And Teal'c 'tiring of his torture' lol.
                    Hang a lantern on it! He's not the only one!
                    scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                      lol
                      Spoiler:
                      The 'human body explodes in space' is a cliched Science Fiction myth http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s1320013.htm - Dr Karl ftw
                      Spoiler:
                      I think he'd be a bit chilly though.
                      scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                        Originally posted by DEM
                        Spoiler:

Oooh! Rachel... Very exciting! Inquiring minds want to know if this was intuition or elementary deduction skills.
                        Ummm....dumb luck?? I read a lot of spoilers If you're really interested though...

Spoiler:

I think I read first that AT was doing two episodes of Atlantis, the first being M&MM. Then it was announced that RDA would be in The Return which was obviously fabulous news even if I was scratching my head and wondering why he wasn't in more SG1 episodes.

I later read (somewhere, I have no idea where) that the second AT episode would be the Atlantis mid-Season two parter. Even though I'm a shipper I don't often Squee but I think I actually did on this occasion (which is why I remember it) because it meant Sam and Jack in Atlantis TOGETHER.

But soon after I seemed to lose where I'd read it and there was nothing official I could find anywhere else. When I raised it during a discussion on the Shipper thread about whether we might get any ship with Jack being back, someone pointed out that timeframe-wise The Return and The Quest would seem to take place at the same time so it was unlikely Sam would be in both...I began to believe I dreamed it.

Then came the suggestion in the article that AT was submerged in an upcoming episode of Atlantis which dredged the thing from my memory because I know Atlantis is getting submerged in The Return (RDA also commented in an article about being underwater) and of course Agent Dark's post of the Sci-fi weekly thing suggests it might actually be true.

So I may have stumbled across something that seems to have been kept mostly secret...like I said, dumb luck.

I tend to agree with golfbooy and Oober; the SG1 dynamics are very powerful and the Sam/Jack dynamic is one of the most powerful in the Stargate universe thanks to the chemistry built up between the actors. Having both in Atlantis will undoubtedly overshadow the Atlantis cast immensely unless they are VERY careful (I remember there used to be complaints it overshadowed the Jack/Daniel dynamic too which is one of the other Juggernaut relationships, IMO, which shows just how powerful a dynamic it can be).

I also tend to think if Sam is in The Return, it will be unlikely that she and Jack will be in the same scene together unless they are shown talking to one another by viewscreen (to limit that chemistry) but still if AT was talking about being submerged, doesn't Sam have to be in Atlantis because it is the city that has been submerged...*hopes*

However, given Sci-fi's decision to run Atlantis as on its own next year, I can see why they might look to having both guest star because it would pull in a tremendous amount of the SG1 audience who may not watch Atlantis already and who might watch this episode and then stick around. Having Sam and Jack BOTH on Atlantis is like using your most powerful weapon EVER in terms of ratings - you pull not only the AT/Sam fans and RDA/Jack fans but you also pull the S/J Shippers (admittedly there is a lot of overlap between these three groups but still...)...although why they would then go to some much effort to NOT leak the news is beyond me...unless AT's part ended up pretty much on the cutting room floor when they got to the final edit...

So, actually, I'm with majorsal; I won't actually believe it until I read confirmation from people on Friday (well, Saturday my time) that it actually happened.
                        sigpic
                        Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                        My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          jsut a reminder

pass the word

Just a reminder that voting for the Stargate Fan Awards ends at
                          midnight CDT on Sunday,
                          September 24.

If you're not quite finished choosing your favorite fanfics, music
                          vids, artwork, or websites, make sure you visit
                          http://www.stargatefanawards.com/eFic in time to place your votes!

Don't forget to vote in the Chevron awards! The Seven Chevrons Award
                          recognizes outstanding achievement in the Stargate SG-1 Music Videos
                          section. This year’s new Eight Chevrons Award acknowledges the best in
                          Stargate Atlantis Music Videos. Vote in these awards at
                          http://www.stargatefanawards.com/eFic/chevrons.php or just select
                          "Chevrons Awards" in the top menu bar on the main voting site.

If you haven't registered to vote in these awards, it's very simple.
                          Just go to http://www.stargatefanawards.com/eFic/captcha.php or just
                          select "Register to Vote" in the top menu bar on the main voting site.
                          You'll be voting within minutes!

Winners will be announced on October 15, 2006.

Good luck, and good reading.

Stargate Fan Awards Team
                          http://www.stargatefanawards.com

~~~~~~~~

so if y'all haven't voted yet, get to it!!

you're about out of time to procrastinate
                          Thanks for the reminder. I'm not even halfway through the categories.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                            All in spoilers, because I'm lazy. And because this hit-the-button spoilers things is so Pavlovian it's ridiculous. I dare you all not to wonder what's below the cut.

Spoiler:
                            {snip}
                            Don't get me wrong, I understand. One of my big beliefs is that the only thing that the writers wanted from Atlantis in season three was 10 weeks of solid, consistent ratings. I think their only concern was that the show garner numbers that will guarantee a fourth season. To that end, I do believe that AT's contract was written to leave open the possibility of a long stint on Atlantis. Likewise, three of RDA's five episodes are being wasted (my opinion) on Atlantis. If in fact The Return features both AT and RDA, then the writers truly were going for a blowout bonanza of crossover ratings gold. They'd just be the most unsustainable of ratings I can imagine.

So, yeah. I'll believe when I see it this Friday.
                            Spoiler:
                            Which is why I can believe it. I've lost faith in tptb over the last two years. I don't really think they're very good at seeing the big picture or the long run. They seem to be very much mired in the "RIGHT NOW all that matters is right now!" frame of mind. The worst of the writing, for me, has been tptb going for the immediate yuk, or the quick wrap-up, or the big end to the episode while sacrificing long term characterization and SG mythos. So yeah, I can really see them sacrificing a good SGA story for the immediate benefits that RDA and AT would bring to one episode.

Of course, the fact that it's been so poorly advertised seems to belie the quest for ratings, so who knows? Maybe the article on Sci-Fi is just a ratings stunt-a way to pull people, like me, into the show who normally only watch when there's nothing better to do.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                              Thanks for the reminder. I'm not even halfway through the categories.
                              better hurry up

i can't wait to see how things turn out
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                                But remember, SG1 is rerun at 11:00, so you can watch both shows I mean there is no reason to watch it live, since its been cancelled any way.
                                SG-1 isn't the problem. It won't even be on then. It's S4 of Atlantis.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X