Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    So with everyone's posts about what they'd want 'after SG-1 ends'...

...with 'some of the SG-1 cast' going to Atlantis... who makes sense?

- Carter makes sense if she goes as the commander of a ship

- Walter or Siler would make sense. They wouldn't be pushing one of the main Atlantis regulars aside, as they could just continue in their 'bit part' roles.

- Daniel would make sense too... but he's a big character and I don't see how they'd fit him into the Atlantis ensemble without creating all sorts of bad feelings amongst the fans who like the current Atlantis characters... whose roles would be reduced to put Daniel into the Atlantis 'ground team' (the ones who are stationed on Atlantis and not on an Earth ship like the Daedalus).

-Mitchell - that just wouldn't work. They've already said that he's Shep's counterpart (Lead Alpha Male on SG-1 to Lead Alpha Male on Atlantis).

So perhaps Browder's Mitchell will be the lead character of Stargate's next spinoff?

-Vala - they could do that. She is an odd-ball character that doesn't fit into the previous Stargate 'formulas'. However, putting her on Atlantis would create problems similar to that of moving Daniel over there - it would reduce the screen time and storylines of the other Atlantis main characters and that would create problems amongst the fan bases.

Of course.. since Vala and Daniel are such a pair... perhaps they would move *both* of them over to Atlantis?

----

Hmmm... so here's what I think could happen:

Walter and/or Siler go to Atlantis (supporting bit parts for them as they had on SG-1). Or perhaps just Siler goes to Atlantis as part of the support team, and Walter stays at the SGC, and he's the one that is shown when Atlantis, or one of the ships, 'talks to' the SGC?

Daniel and Vala go to Atlantis as a package deal. The Ori saga comes with them to compound the other problems facing the Atlantis crew.

Mitchell (Browder) gets his own new Stargate spinoff.

Teal'c? To the new spinoff? I don't see how he'd fit in Atlantis.. unless he went along with Daniel, just to help his former teammate.

Carter commands an Earth/ Asgard hybrid ship. Allows for a recurring role that shouldn't push the other Atlantis regulars out of their 'established storyline territory' or screentime.

-----

I like the option of Carter commanding a new ship. Mitchell in a new spinoff wouldn't turn me on - but then I just have a problem with the lead male actor from another scifi show becoming the lead male actor in a Stargate series (I have trouble seeing the same actor in two lead male scifi TV series roles - and basically contemporaneously shows (not seperated by very much 'real' time or years))

----

*Whatever* AT chooses to do - I hope

- she enjoys it and
    - it's a success - as she defines success

If she chooses to stay with Stargate, that's her choice and I hope it works out for her and that she's happy. If she chooses to work on any other project - scifi genre or not, SciFi channel or not - again, I hope she's happy and that she's successful.

Whatever she's in - I'll give it a go. If it's Atlantis - then I'll just have to give that series a serious go (even with McKay heavy personality and Shep's Lead Alpha Male role). If it's a spinoff - I'll be there amongst the viewers. If it's something else entirely - again, I'll give it a go!
    Ditto. Wherever Sam or Amanda goes. I go.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      Ditto. Wherever Sam or Amanda goes. I go.
      That pretty much sums it up for me too.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        I think that may be the consensus of most of us on the thread

I just wonder if Amanda is going to make a statement like MS did in the news section?
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

A few of my thoughts on what might happen once SG-1 is done.

First, I really don't think we'll see a third series spinoff. If it was going to happen, it probably would have been planned as a natural transition from one of the existing shows. I would guess that they wanted to go ahead with some variation of Stargate Command, starring BB and CB. But I doubt that they could develop such a series quickly enough to start up next season, and if they wait much longer, BB and CB will probably have moved on to other projects. (By the way, if this series does happen, I'll be really pi**ed, because it would convince me that SciFi cancelled SG-1 to make room for the new series, without letting a new series evolve from the old naturally.)

Second, and again, this is just my opinion, but I think that MS is ready for the show to be over so that he can move on to other things. For that reason, I would guess that he wouldn't want to do Atlantis.

Third, I can see Sam doing some time on Atlantis, but like many of you, I don't want to see her taking away time from other characters there. Most Atlantis fans are adamant about wanting Atlantis to stay separate from SG-1 As Sky said, we don't need a group of fans resenting AT's presence on "their" show, taking away time from their favorite characters. I don't blame them for that. IMO, the first 2 seasons were mainly the Shep and McKay show, with not nearly enough time spent on the other characters. This season seems to be better in that regard, but I think that adding another lead character would be a mistake. Letting Sam be the official liason between SGC and Atlantis, or serve in some capacity on the Daedulus would be a good way to keep the character active in the franchise without taking away from the existing cast. Of course this is dependent on if Amanda wants to continue in the role. It could be an advantage to have a more limited role. Beau Bridges has been doing guest shots on other series the last couple of years, and I'm guessing that's partly because his role is more limited than the main cast, so he's available to do other work. If AT wasn't full time, she might be able to do some of the special projects that she hinted at.

Finally, I think that mini-series are definitely a possiblity. SciFi seems to like that type of programming, and would probably green light at least one or two. I'd prefer a set of mini-series to the full blown movie that TPTB seem hell-bent on making.

Anyway, that's just my take.

NC

Comment

stopping in quickly to ask; are there any plans for amanda's birthday?

i'll check in soon to find the answer.

slides back to shipper thread

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
              A few of my thoughts on what might happen once SG-1 is done.

First, I really don't think we'll see a third series spinoff. If it was going to happen, it probably would have been planned as a natural transition from one of the existing shows. I would guess that they wanted to go ahead with some variation of Stargate Command, starring BB and CB. But I doubt that they could develop such a series quickly enough to start up next season, and if they wait much longer, BB and CB will probably have moved on to other projects. (By the way, if this series does happen, I'll be really pi**ed, because it would convince me that SciFi cancelled SG-1 to make room for the new series, without letting a new series evolve from the old naturally.)

Second, and again, this is just my opinion, but I think that MS is ready for the show to be over so that he can move on to other things. For that reason, I would guess that he wouldn't want to do Atlantis.

Third, I can see Sam doing some time on Atlantis, but like many of you, I don't want to see her taking away time from other characters there. Most Atlantis fans are adamant about wanting Atlantis to stay separate from SG-1 As Sky said, we don't need a group of fans resenting AT's presence on "their" show, taking away time from their favorite characters. I don't blame them for that. IMO, the first 2 seasons were mainly the Shep and McKay show, with not nearly enough time spent on the other characters. This season seems to be better in that regard, but I think that adding another lead character would be a mistake. Letting Sam be the official liason between SGC and Atlantis, or serve in some capacity on the Daedulus would be a good way to keep the character active in the franchise without taking away from the existing cast. Of course this is dependent on if Amanda wants to continue in the role. It could be an advantage to have a more limited role. Beau Bridges has been doing guest shots on other series the last couple of years, and I'm guessing that's partly because his role is more limited than the main cast, so he's available to do other work. If AT wasn't full time, she might be able to do some of the special projects that she hinted at.

Finally, I think that mini-series are definitely a possiblity. SciFi seems to like that type of programming, and would probably green light at least one or two. I'd prefer a set of mini-series to the full blown movie that TPTB seem hell-bent on making.

Anyway, that's just my take.

NC
              So for a mini-series... which characters does everyone think they would include?

I would like to see the Original Team showcased heavily, with Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c front and center. It would be a great show of respect and acknowledgement for what these characters (and the actors who portrayed them) did for the franchise.

Personally, I'd be OK with other Stargate characters in the movie, either ones from Atlantis, the SGC, or Mitchell or Vala (if the last two were not central characters to the movie, because I'd like to see the original four get the movie or miniseries that was talked about for so many years).

I'd rather McKay wasn't in the miniseries - his character is just too 'large' - he dominates the screen and the scenes... too much is about him. And he's OK for Atlantis, but again, I'd like to see the original SG-1 get a shot back in the spotlight. McKay will be in Atlantis' movie or mini-series after their series ends it's final season.

I'd like to see the miniseries (or movie) focus on The Team (the original team). With all four of the original team having truly integral roles, where they *all* save the day - as a team. Where none of the four is The Lone Messiah, where none of the four takes on all-powerful supervillians on their own... but where they combine their efforts and energies in a way that The Team saves the day. And where they are all in the same place at the same time that they make it happen. Where none of them is just providing support or cover fire for the others who are saving the day. All four of them are 'saving the day' - and some other SGC personnel can provide cover fire for The Team.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1

I just wonder if Amanda is going to make a statement like MS did in the news section?
                What news section? Can you post a link to MS's comments?

Comment

What news section? Can you post a link to MS's comments?
                  It wasn't really much, but here's the link
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=33785
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

So for a mini-series... which characters does everyone think they would include?

I would like to see the Original Team showcased heavily, with Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c front and center. It would be a great show of respect and acknowledgement for what these characters (and the actors who portrayed them) did for the franchise.

Personally, I'd be OK with other Stargate characters in the movie, either ones from Atlantis, the SGC, or Mitchell or Vala (if the last two were not central characters to the movie, because I'd like to see the original four get the movie or miniseries that was talked about for so many years).

I'd rather McKay wasn't in the miniseries - his character is just too 'large' - he dominates the screen and the scenes... too much is about him. And he's OK for Atlantis, but again, I'd like to see the original SG-1 get a shot back in the spotlight. McKay will be in Atlantis' movie or mini-series after their series ends it's final season.

I'd like to see the miniseries (or movie) focus on The Team (the original team). With all four of the original team having truly integral roles, where they *all* save the day - as a team. Where none of the four is The Lone Messiah, where none of the four takes on all-powerful supervillians on their own... but where they combine their efforts and energies in a way that The Team saves the day. And where they are all in the same place at the same time that they make it happen. Where none of them is just providing support or cover fire for the others who are saving the day. All four of them are 'saving the day' - and some other SGC personnel can provide cover fire for The Team.
                    I'd love to see a mini-series based on one of the original team's earlier missions, one that hasn't been shown, (Invisible Jack!) much like the Fandemonium books have done. Since the actors are obviously older than they were in the early years of the team, some adjustments would have to be made, (heavy make up) or maybe set the mission in season 7 or 8.

Unfortunately, I think it won't happen - TPTB are too enamored with the new SG-1 to not include Vala and Cam in any mini-series, and of course some of the fan base feel the same way.

NC

Comment

It wasn't really much, but here's the link
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=33785
                      Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
                        Ok so do we want Sam Carter in Atlantis or not??

I actually am not certain if I want her in Atlantis. Off course it would be great that we could see Amanda some more after sg1 is over but I don't know if it would be good for her career and for Atlantis. And for the character of Sam.

It would all depend on how they would bring Samantha there, if she would become a regular or just makes some cameo's.

What I do would love to see is that she would become a regular on the daedalus. If it even was possible that she would become the captain of the ship That would mean that we could see her from time to time in Atlantis but not be one of the other characters of Atlantis, cause IMO if she would go to Atlantis she will probably be just the scientist again. And that is something I don't want anymore!
                        If the PTB are really watching our conversations then maybe they saw the posts a month ago about Sam in command of her own ship. We were talking about a ship based series at the time, but I could live with a ship that frequently visits Atlantis. She could guest star in maybe 6 or 7 eps per season, so the rest of the cast wouldn't be affected too badly.

When (not if) they make a movie or miniseries, Sam wouldn't be part of the SG1 team exactly, but she would be in command of her own space ship and could work with the team (um, TAKE CHARGE) on the mission.

Of course, I would only want this if AT wanted it. I would hate for them to hold her because of a contract.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                          That makes three of us... Wait, 80 of us, you say? OK. 80's good.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
                            Ok so do we want Sam Carter in Atlantis or not??

I actually am not certain if I want her in Atlantis. Off course it would be great that we could see Amanda some more after sg1 is over but I don't know if it would be good for her career and for Atlantis. And for the character of Sam.

It would all depend on how they would bring Samantha there, if she would become a regular or just makes some cameo's.

What I do would love to see is that she would become a regular on the daedalus. If it even was possible that she would become the captain of the ship That would mean that we could see her from time to time in Atlantis but not be one of the other characters of Atlantis, cause IMO if she would go to Atlantis she will probably be just the scientist again. And that is something I don't want anymore!
                            I would LOVE to see Sam in Atlantis, it's a whole new big galaxy out there and it must have loads of new bright and shiney "things" for Sam to play with!
                            I would love her to have command of a ship with some old and new characters in with her and to interact with Atlantis crew from time to time.
                            Also because tptb seemed keen on the idea for Sam to go to Atlantis maybe that's what is in the wind.
                            There's somthing that Amanda has said at one of "the 200" interviews that keeps going around in my head, she said--" Sci-fi has been good to me and i would not say no to working on a tv show again" it's only a little line but it stuck out when she said it and even more now and also she has said she has projects in the works but can't say anything about it yet, so some of those projects could be Stargate, just a thought and i would follow anyway what Amanda did choose to work on next, i just don't want to see the end of Sam just yet
                            ......TARA......

Comment

I keep checking her website for something. I hope her silence isn't a bad sign. Of course, she may be upset (like many of us) and waiting until she can choose her words carefully. If she says the wrong thing, her opposition will be very cruel.

Comment

If they go the mini-series route (which, frankly, makes WAAAY more sense if the cha-ching is an issue here), I wouldn't be surprised if they did everything in their power to include everyone from SG-1 and Atlantis in it.

Evidently the guys at Bridge just LURVE that buddy-buddy dynamic, and they'd get such a dynamic from some whacked out combination of Anderson, Shanks, Judge, Browder, Flanigan, Hewlett, etc... I mean, Wright pretty much hinted at such a desire/possibility in TV Guide a few weeks ago when it came to Browder and Flanigan's characters. They LIKE it, so they'll probably do it. And, since the network would just LOVE the idea of linking three different fanbases in one project, would they really have a problem with it?

Would I begrudge them for attempting to get as many SG-1 AND Atlantis fans in on the mini-series? No. Plus, if done well (read: differently than they've done before, PegPro notwithstanding), it could be very, very cool. There really would be something for everyone in this very expensive combination of players, but they'd essentially be ensuring a large turnout from the loyal Stargate crowd.

I'd hope that they'd focus on the original four team members if they went this route, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I was pleasantly surprised with many parts of "200," but beyond that, I think they'd try to do something outrageously all-encompassing so as to squeeze every last drop out of everybody.

So, if they brought in everybody under the sun from Siler to Zelenka to SF #2 to Red Shirt #5, I'd definitely watch just to see if they could pull it off. Wouldn't they have six or eight hours or some such nonsense like that?

Comment

Working...
                                X