Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
    Amanda's new project ... just a thought ...

She said that she is growing her hair long for the part and it would be a lead in a sci-fi production, her production. All well and good but we know that long hair, modern era, military regs would probably prohibit that format. I started thinking more about how long hair is often seen as "old fashioned" or "turn of the century" and then came up with some options. AT has mentioned that she would consider doing a period piece/something historical. What if the long hair has to do with a character from the 19th century, maybe Victorian era? Women in science? There was a woman astronomer whom my daughter researched for a play - can't remember her name right now. Seemed that she did discover a planet or distant sun or something ... I'm drifting. Maybe Amanda is going to portray some female pioneer or maybe it will be a time-travel story and she steps out of that era into the future?

Okay, that's my tuppence! I have another great Sam Carter serendipity tale to tell from today's events but exhausted and will post later this weekend. Snow has finally made its official arrival in the Berkshires.

'Night all and play carefully ... Princess Amy may be lurking!
    Not necessarily CG, per AFI 36-2903...you can have long hair but it will be "styled to present a professional appearance. Allow the wear of conservative hairpins, combs, headbands, elastic bands and barrettes. Hair pins and bands must match hair color. Long hair will be secured with no loose end." It will not " *snippage*. Extend below any side of an invisible line drawn parallel to the ground at the bottom edge of the shirt collar regardless of length. Length will not be excessive. * snippage* "

I love Amanda with her long hair...especially when she had it braided like she did at the cocktail party. And I can just imagine Amanda's character in the new production going home after a long, hard day and just letting her hair down. I wish I could grow mine out but it's habit now keeping it short...it was very easy to maintain in the AF especially when you're recalled to work at oh-dark-thirty to play war games.

Night CG!
    Last edited by AmberMoon; 07 December 2006, 07:35 PM. Reason: forgot to say goodnight to CG! D'oh!

Comment

She said that she is growing her hair long for the part and it would be a lead in a sci-fi production, her production. All well and good but we know that long hair, modern era, military regs would probably prohibit that format. I started thinking more about how long hair is often seen as "old fashioned" or "turn of the century" and then came up with some options. AT has mentioned that she would consider doing a period piece/something historical. What if the long hair has to do with a character from the 19th century, maybe Victorian era? Women in science? There was a woman astronomer whom my daughter researched for a play - can't remember her name right now. Seemed that she did discover a planet or distant sun or something ... I'm drifting. Maybe Amanda is going to portray some female pioneer or maybe it will be a time-travel story and she steps out of that era into the future?

Okay, that's my tuppence! I have another great Sam Carter serendipity tale to tell from today's events but exhausted and will post later this weekend. Snow has finally made its official arrival in the Berkshires.
      That would be interesting! Maybe she could be a pioneer scientist from the past trying to find a way back home...hmm, I kindof like that idea. I actually hope her new character isn't Air Force. I loved Amanda as Colonel Sam, but I don't want her typecast that way. Actually, I'd love to see an updated Quantum Leap type scenario with different guest stars every week. Amanda was the favorite of all the SG1 guest stars, so I bet they'd be beating the doors down trying to get parts on her show. We make picking out the SG1 guest star on the Vancouver t.v. show a game at our house.
      Princess Amy, it is way past your bedtime and this is not a place for little girls after dark. Auntie Gate Gal thinks you need to get off the computer so the grown ups can talk about grown up things.

Comment

Well just because it's sci-fi doesn't mean it has to be military. It may not even be a 'Space/Aliens/Lasers' sci-fi like Stargate is.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
          Well just because it's sci-fi doesn't mean it has to be military. It may not even be a 'Space/Aliens/Lasers' sci-fi like Stargate is.
          personally, I'd love to see her do an episode of Eureka.

Thank you for 10 years of Sam Carter, Amanda Tapping!
          My LJ "I Live in a Sci-Fi World"
          My Stargate (Mostly Sam Carter) Icons
          My Stargate Videos
          It's meant to be!

Comment

Henrietta Swan Leavitt? There’s a short article about her in this year’s edition of “The Old Farmer’s Almanac.”

(Developed the Harvard Standard used to measure the brightness of stars; discovered the Period-Luminosity Law that relates the periodicity of variables to their magnitude allowing astronomers (and astrophysicists ) to calculate their distance from Earth; discovered more than 2400 stars; human "computer" (not as cool as it sounds, alas ) said to haunt the Harvard observatory to this day.)

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
              Caption this...

click for bigger
              "Truly Scrumptious, I'm truly, truly scrumptious!"

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
              Well that all depends on what part of the US people come from Deejay who comes from the northern part (not too far from me ) told me she couldn't hear a diffence in the way we spoke.
              I can't. Only occassionally in the 'O's. I've spent some time in Mandy's city (Sadly before I knew her!) and very rarely "heard" an accent.

Also-thanks for the rec on "Crash" just put it on my netflix list. I'll share the rec with a young woman who works for me-she's got politics very nearly the same as mine, so if it appeals to me, I'm sure it will to her to.

Originally posted by minigeek
              Yes! But I think the last couple of guesses were just to tease me. I don't think she really meant OH-HIII-OHHH.
              Hey now! Are you casting aspersions on Ohio? You should be flattered that Amanda thought you were from here!

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435 View Post
                Hey now! Are you casting aspersions on Ohio? You should be flattered that Amanda thought you were from here!
                LOL, nothing against Ohio, love! It was just the way she leaned forward and said it: "Ohh-HAIII-Oh".

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Hm. Period Sci-Fi. Now THERE's a thought.

Comment

Hmm, I'm really hoping that Amanda's new role is totally different from the scientific or military character she played on SG-1. We've had ten years of that and she was fantastic, but I'd really enjoy seeing her play a character that was completely different.

I don't believe she ever stated that the project she was working on was your typical science fiction show. Only that she thought we'd enjoy it because it was scifi-ish. Which to me means that it really can be just about anything. If it takes place in the future, takes place on a space ship, on another planet, or in another galaxy it will be considered sci-fi. The only thing I'm hoping is that it doesn't involve giant wasps or mosquitos.

As for Amanda's hair, I have to admit I'm also partial to her with short hair. While she looks wonderful with long and short hair, Amanda has such beautiful eyes and smile that really seems to be emphasized more with shorter hair. But I can totally understand her wanting to wear it longer after having it super short for over a decade now. Long or short, I'm just excited about possibly seeing her in a new series soon.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                      (sigh) The things I do for the people I love!
                      Standing next to the perpetually lovely Amanda Tapping and the sweet and petite Skydiver for a photograph, I feel very much like the 600 LB gorilla in the room! However, Skydiver has convinced me to shut up and suck it up, geek! (and i certainly don't want to know what happens if I disobey a direct order from Skydiver! (gulp!) ) In the interest of how much I love all you guys and how much I'm still grateful to you all for allowing me to present your beautiful thoughts and wishes alongside my drawing, we've finally gotten permission to share the photo taken at the presentation!

So................ now that I've gone and finished all my whiny, petulant excuses! lol

Here's a little back story for those unaware. Julia had graciously gone to bat for us and made a special moment available during the very first autograph session where Skydiver and I would be able to come in via a special pass and present what I've now come to realize is entitled "The Samanda Poster" to Amanda. In truth there are messages from all over Amanda's fandom on it, but the idea did originate here on this very thread. Not only did Julia make this possible for us, but she also took care of the expense of sending of the poster safely back to Amanda in Vancouver so that it would be possible for her to look at it in London and receive it later on at home without having to carry something that bulky around in her baggage. Julia took care of all of that and she told me it was her part of the gift as a Samandan herself, so THANK YOU again Julia, for making all of this possible. ((hugs))

When the poster first popped into idea form I thought we might get nearly a hundred signatures for it. Well there was more than double that number!!!! I also received notes from people who, for whatever reason, couldn't participate or wanted to mention that they didn't feel eloquent enough to say anything but that their affection and admiration for Amanda was there anyway.

When Becks came out into the lobby during the first autograph session and found Skydiver and I, she said: "C'mon you two!" and literally marched us into the room, past everyone, and set us up right in front of the autograph desk. GULP! lol I remember standing there much like a deer in headlights thinking Oh. My. God. What do I say?!! lol - but Skydiver grabbed my arm and tugged me out there with her, and together we managed to unroll the monster in the poster-tube.

I know I've said this before, but when Amanda saw it, she immediately read two or three of the messages randomly and she remembered people. She looked up and she was smiling and she said, "Oh, I know her! I met her just this summer!" and "Oh my gosh, she's the lady who gave me the great potty training book!" and "I can't believe you guys did this!" - needless to say, I was somewhat tongue tied to reply. But I did manage to get out that there were a couple of hundred messages and that for every signature on that poster, there were at least ten or twenty others who wanted to be there, many of whom were at AT2 right now and some of who couldn't be, but were there in spirit. I don't remember if I managed to say anything else because I was so nervous. But Julia was so helpful and so was Skydiver that I think it actually went OK in the end!

Amanda hugged Sky and I both (and somehow we need to share those hugs! Next year's GABIT event? Group Hug?! lol) and then she went back to reading more of the messages, she really seemed fascinated by them. To illustrate even further how amazing she was (I don't know if I should even mention this), but as has already been mentioned before in the thread, she had a very "wonky tummy" that morning and it looked like she was in a fair bit of discomfort/pain when we entered the room. Even so she GOT UP and came over and walked around and held the poster and hugged us, etc., and all I kept wanting to say was: "Oh, god it's OK, please don't worry about getting up...!" She hardly let it show, she was so amazing about it, so I opted not to say anything because hers was such a graceful gesture, I didn't want to tarnish it.

Anyhow, as we finally left the room, Julia looked up and grinned and said: "See? That wasn't so hard!" (or something to that effect, and I could have hugged her right there, lol) but I think I hugged Sky instead and we walked out together (I was grateful for the support just then .... LITERALLY!).

So without further adieu, here it is. The photo of Skydiver and I presenting the Samanda Poster to Amanda at AT2. Julia sent it last night and gave us permission to post. I think Amanda had to OK it first. You can really get a good sense for how large the poster was in the picture, finally.

I have to say I felt such a great sense of pride to have been able to get up there and represent this group of people and so many articulate voices. There were so many amazing messages and so many encouraging notes on that poste from people all over the world, I had quite a few I am sooo not worthy moments the night before, lemme tell ya! lol I said to Anni when I got back that it was one of the scariest things I ever did. Also one of the most amazing things. The irony of course is that I do meet so-called celebrities on a fairly regular basis and I've never really been nervous before like this. Then again I've never really had a (famous) hero before so I guess it balances out. I have to say, Amanda Tapping is a personal hero of mine. Not because she's famous. Not because she's on TV. But because she's so absolutely, unfailingly genuine. She's REAL. I admire her more so now after AT2 than before, having met her. The thing is I can't even put into words the kindness or the warmth that comes off of her face to face, it's like an energy you can feel and she's so willing to BE around people; to hug them or to share whatever personal space they're comfortable with in order to make them feel special. She really does care and as a result WE all truly care about her right back.

I didn't think it was possible that a TV "celebrity" could be so darn COOL. I went to AT2 believing I'd have my little case of hero-worship tarnished and move on (because c'mon, no one is that awesome in real life, right?!). Amanda is. I came away from AT2 realizing that we're not just nameless fans to her, we were not just demographics for her series, we were people and we were important to her on a level that seemed to go beyond the call of duty if she didn't truly care about folks.

No matter where she goes from here, or where I go, I know I can personally say one thing for certain. I think a lot of us can. I will follow Amanda's career with interest and enthusiasm for the rest of her life. And I would wholeheartedly embrace any future opportunity to meet her again. She is truly one in a million.

Anyway!!!!

[ / gush off]
                      (no really i swear!)
                      mini(the carpal tunnel)geek
                      Wow...what can I say...great...no not great...awesome post mini!
                      This is where it gets good ... I swear I'm not making this up, the prof takes us through the robot demonstration and then into another classroom where the cutest blonde in pigtails and safety goggles is tinkering over something ... he shows us a small motor and then introduces "Samantha" who is working on determining the torque for the motor to run another robot!!
                      FCOL ... the college student is named SAMANTHA! I nearly lost it right then and there. Quantum ducks and blonde Samanthas doing complex equations and building robots!!!
                      Cool...freaky...but cool!!
                      Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                      Ooh...ooh...we're doing ages??? Woo hoo!!!
                      I am...
                      *drumroll please*
                      33!!!!
                      Well...I missed all the age revealing stuff but...I'm 36...and counting backwards...decided that I feel like I'm 29 again...and btw...life begins at 40...
                      Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                      Absolutely! She looks positively giddy even.
                      Thank you minigeek and Skydiver for your delightful presentation to AT. mg...you did a great job on that poster.
                      And thank you Julia for setting it up.
                      I'll second that...if hasn't been already!

Night all...take care, be safe and be happy...wish I could be around more but RL is so hectic...I just can't find enough time ...or energy...to get in much!
                      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                        Originally posted by Mandysg1
                        Deejay who comes from the northern part (not too far from me ) told me she couldn't hear a diffence in the way we spoke.
                        I can't. Only occassionally in the 'O's. I've spent some time in Mandy's city (Sadly before I knew her!) and very rarely "heard" an accent.
                        Deejay, if you're like other people in your neck of the woods, you talk funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
                          That would be interesting! Maybe she could be a pioneer scientist from the past trying to find a way back home...hmm, I kindof like that idea. I actually hope her new character isn't Air Force. I loved Amanda as Colonel Sam, but I don't want her typecast that way. Actually, I'd love to see an updated Quantum Leap type scenario with different guest stars every week. Amanda was the favorite of all the SG1 guest stars, so I bet they'd be beating the doors down trying to get parts on her show. We make picking out the SG1 guest star on the Vancouver t.v. show a game at our house.

Princess Amy, it is way past your bedtime and this is not a place for little girls after dark. Auntie Gate Gal thinks you need to get off the computer so the grown ups can talk about grown up things.
                          Oh my gosh... that reminds me of this blurb I read on the Quantum Leap Wikipedia entry:
                          "The Sci-Fi Channel was projected to begin airing a sequel, supposedly called A Bold Leap Forward, sometime in 2006. However, the project appears to have suffered various setbacks, and it currently remains in development. When asked by fans in a Q&A interview with the BBC in September 2006 if there were any plans to resurrect the show in the form of a new series or movie, series star Scott Bakula replied "None that I know of."

Makes you wonder about Amanda's secret project, though, doesn't it?

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
                            Wow...what can I say...great...no not great...awesome post mini!

Cool...freaky...but cool!!

Well...I missed all the age revealing stuff but...I'm 36...and counting backwards...decided that I feel like I'm 29 again...and btw...life begins at 40...

I'll second that...if hasn't been already!

Night all...take care, be safe and be happy...wish I could be around more but RL is so hectic...I just can't find enough time ...or energy...to get in much!
                            39 1/4 here

Personally I don't mind getting older. For as long as I can remember, my goal has always been to be 42. Who knows why I chose 42, but in my twisted little 12 year old mind, 42 was the year of total bliss for me. It was going to be the time in my life when I would finally start to feel like a grown-up, be happy with myself and my family, and be at a point financially when we could really start to enjoy life.

And strangely, I really think that's helped me because never for a moment have I thought "Oh gawd, I'm going to be 40 next year!" I'm actually looking forward to it. Now if only, by some great miracle, I could look like Amanda by my 40th birthday, I'd be floating on air. ROFL
                            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 08 December 2006, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
                              39 1/4 here

Personally I don't mind getting older. For as long as I can remember, my goal has always been to be 42. Who knows why I chose 42, but in my twisted little 12 year old mind, 42 was the year of total bliss for me. It was going to be the time in my life when I would finally start to feel like a grown-up, be happy with myself and my family, and be at a point financially when we could really start to enjoy life.

And strangely, I really think that's helped me because never for a moment have I thought "Oh gawd, I'm going to be 40 next year!" I'm actually looking forward to it. Now if only, by some great miracle, I could look like Amanda by my 40th birthday, I'd be floating on air. ROFL
                              You do know that the answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42, don't you?

Two months away for me...

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
                                You do know that the answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42, don't you?
                                Beat me to it, Strix! lol I was thinking the exact same thing!! And Kat... I thought you were around 32 or 33. So D'OH on me.

Comment

Working...
                                X