Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    i'd marry the man right on the spot!

rick: hi.
    sally: YES!
    Ha! That's hilarious!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
      ETA: OK, here's a nice vid that made me smile, if no one's posted it here before:

Whenever You Remember

It'll either cheer you up or make you depressed all over again!
      *sobs uncontrollably*

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        Regarding Seasons 9+ and the leadership of SG-1
        Spoiler:
        ShimmeringStar said it wonderfully in her post

They are following a formula

The Lead Male Formula

AT said that Shephard is the mirror of Mitchell in terms of their roles on Atlantis and SG-1. The article recognized their positions (lead males of their respective shows).

Ben Browder is actually given the number '1' on his scripts. AT is given the number '2', CJ is '3', etc. I would venture to guess that MS is '4' (to go along with his one season departure and then return).

AT said that her role as Carter is the mirror of McKay. (I really hate that comparison, but I think she's referring to the 'science geek'/technobabble role... ...

TPTB said that they wanted to 'go back to the early years of SG-1'... who had a clue that that meant putting Sam back into the role of following the Lead Male CO/leader of the team?

I thought it meant exploring new worlds through the Stargate, team missions, team episodes, fresh new enthusiasm, cools stories, etc. I was blindsided by the fact that they meant the Lead Male in Charge Formula (they started the series with RDA as their one actor who was well known, and banked on his name and popularity to help draw in viewers).

OK, so now that they went and did what they did for Season 9
        Spoiler:
        Am I the only one who's stunned that there are *no* headlines (that I have found) where anyone is expressing outrage or surprise at the sexism displayed and promoted by the Stargate francise?

I am stunned. I find it difficult to believe that there aren't any articles out there denouncing what was done in terms of the leadership and the messages that it sends and promotes.

I have noticed and seen more articles promoting Stargate over the past couple of years that I had ever noticed before. Now that Star Trek is no longer producing new shows, it seems like Stargate is all over the TV Guides and the newspapers and the internet (AOL, etc.). It's being called 'The Hot New Show' and such. They've made much out of the 10th season and the 200th episode, and the record for the longest running scifi show, and the additions of the actors from Stargate, new blood, etc.

But I haven't seen anyone speak up and point out what was done in terms of the leadership of the flagship team of this 'Hot New Show'.

And, frankly, I find that weird and disturbing.

It makes me wonder if... the folks writing the articles in TV Guide, for AOL and such... haven't truly watched the series.... But rather, they are jumping on the publicity band-wagon of the longest running scifi show... I mean, it *must* have some redeeming qualities to have been around so long and to be able to still keep going when workhorses like Star Trek are closing up shop? Right?

In other words, are the folks who are writing these articles in TV Guide, for AOL and such, are they actually viewers of the show - who've watched the past 9+ years of episodes, or are they just working from a few pieces of episodes that they've caught?... or just trailers and teasers?... or are they just working from the publicity releases?

Because, if there were truly writers out there who had been watching the show over the years, then surely at least *some* of them would be commenting on the choice to write Carter out of command in Season 9! At least *some* of those writers would pose questions to the public - and put it out there where it belongs - in the light.

---------

Many folks keep saying that they want the writers and TPTB to provide a rationalization for Carter
        Spoiler:
        not having command, and for Mitchell retaining it. That they want to see how and why Carter would be OK with such a thing.

I disagree with this vehemently.

The fact that it *hasn't* been nicely packaged and sold to the viewers is the *only* honest thing about this nastiness.

It shouldn't be rationalized away in the script.
        It shouldn't be written away that Carter somehow is OK with it or doesn't want to lead the team.

It wasn't done for Carter.

It was done because they were following a Lead Male Formula.
        That's the honest truth.

And you can't write that into the script, so please don't let them write in some other garbage - because once they do, a lot of folks are going to accept it. Once it's in the script, it becomes canon - and it's going to get thrown into the faces of Carter fans repeatedly and continuously. Carter's not in command because she doesn't want it (yeah, right). Carter's not in command because she's not the best qualified... Carter's not in command because Mitchell's more qualified.... Carter's not in command because she wants to concentrate on her science... ya dee ya dee yah! Gag! All just contrivances because the show's PTB wanted to follow the Lead Male Formula and they didn't have the guts to write a show where the team was led by a female!

Please, please don't let it be allright that they write something into the scripts that somehow 'explains' or 'justifies' what they did to the character when it was truly something that had nothing to do with the character's development and everything to do with their perception of $$$.

-------

Quite often AT will let the fans in on stuff that she uses to help herself understand a scene or an episode - the 'backstory' that she will create... such as Grace being Sam's inner child, or that the house in Ascension was once her fathers/her family home...

But not once has AT said what she uses to explain to herself why Carter would be OK with Mitchell having command of SG-1 instead of Carter.

I like that honesty.
        I like it a lot.

It lets the truth stand on it's own.

ETA (Edited To Add): putting a rationalization into the script would allow them to effectively 'sweep this under the rug' - and that would be deplorable. As long as it's not rationalized into an episode script, then it's not hidden, it's not 'swept under the rug', and folks can't truly justify what was done to the character, or in terms of the message regarding women in leadership roles. If they rationalize it within the episode scripts, then they get to duck the reality of what they did - they would get off with little or no consequences, without having to even admit what they did (unless they felt magnanimous enough to do so).

I am so totally in agreeance with you on all points. I do not post much here on the leadership issue because I tend to not concentrate on why Sam is such a good leader and go off on why Mitchell is unqualified and not really a good officer, this of course I post in other threads

S10 spoiler
        Spoiler:
        They are supposed to be resolving the leadership issue in S10. Unfortunately all I see is them confirming that Mitchell is SG1 leader, I can't honestly see them doing anything else but this.

What I hope to see, as I've mentioned before, is that Sam isn't actually on SG-1 but has an important defined position at the SGC (reporting directly to Landry) and only goes out with SG-1 when needed (which is a lot because good ole Mitch sure can't handle it). It aint gonna happen but I would like to see it because anything else makes Sam look bad. FCOL they took TWO command positions off her - this is a career killer for any military officer and that really sticks in my craw!!

Personally I think that they are going to botch up this "fixer" episode. However if TPTB want to surprise me and do otherwise I will be very happy and say so (I'm just not gonna hold my breath!).

Oh BTW for folks who don't know me, my position on Mitchell stems from the fact that I think he is a poorly written character and is not portrayed as a good officer. If the quality of writing was better, in all regards, I would probably like him but as he stands now I can't get past the garbage they throw at us concerning his character to get to a point where I like or dislike him.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
          Oh BTW for folks who don't know me....

What you talking 'bout, RoX? Are you implying that some people here live in caves?

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            so, if touching someone like that (what orlin did), then are we saying that orlin raped sam at the very beginning of 'ascension'?

i don't care what kind of 'we're a new show that is going to sell sex now' mentality, sam did NOT have sex with orlin. even amanda said they didn't.

sally
            There is no way you can interpret what Orlin did with the glowy thing as being rape...firstly, Sam agreed to the...thing...and second...she did care for him. I think that the sex thing has just been interpreted that way by the PTB...personally I think it was done in poor taste.
            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Yep. That's exactly what I mean...

My first guess was AOL/Time Warner, but I'm not sure why I picked them. It's definitely something to look into, because SG-1 has been in TV Guide a lot these days.

However, if that IS the case, it would explain why AOL is touting Stargate now.

Hmmm....
              i believe stargate sg1 has been in the tv guide more now solely because of bb and cb. tv guide (as well as other publications) have been in love with farscape since the beginning. in fact, more than most fans. the tv guide guy that loves farscape/bb-cb (can't remember his name) is THE reason stargate sg1 is even being thought of, let alone written up on in that magazine. to me.

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                As much as I wish they had never gone down that road (and I occasionally use Jack's trick of putting my fingers in my ears and humming loudly to avoid it ) for the characters' sakes--and especially Sam's-- I think they should go with your scenario. Sam and Jack are together. Now MOVE ON.
                all joking aside, i know that was hard for you to say, jckfan. so it's even more appreciated.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Reading others views helps me define what I feel is missing, like someone helping you figure out a recipe. Character interaction, I love the Brady Bunch comparison and now have the song stuck in my head!

Why I think Sam's a great character, because she's a team member that happens to be female. I'm hoping the writers remember that sometime this season. I hope they remember Teal'c is around to this season.

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRACEY JANE
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db
                      HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRACEY JANE
                      YEAH BABY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIL' BUDDY!
                      sigpic
                      I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db
                        There is no way you can interpret what Orlin did with the glowy thing as being rape...firstly, Sam agreed to the...thing...and second...she did care for him. I think that the sex thing has just been interpreted that way by the PTB...personally I think it was done in poor taste.
                        So true! It is just a case of rewriting history!
                        Now, if we have to rewrite history let's at least improve it! This was done in such bad taste!

Edit: Oh wow! My 500th post! And my goal was to hit 200 by episode 200! This is so addictive!

Comment

OK, here's a nice vid that made me smile, if no one's posted it here before:

Whenever You Remember

It'll either cheer you up or make you depressed all over again!
                          Wow...that was great...it didn't cheer me up but it didn't depress me either.
                          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Now it's official!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRACY JANE!!!!!

Comment

Well...

Spoiler:
                              It's not so much the hooking up with the "would-be stalker" as it was the timing - both when she did (on a stakeout) and how fast it was after they started dating - AND the fact that AT had trepidations about it.

To me, that shows exactly where Rob Cooper's mind was at. He didn't have the foresight to care about how any of the various ship shenanigans would make Sam look, and he did it so they could have the romantic, zoom-out, fade-to-black shot of Carter kissing Pete?

It was so worth it.
                              i was much more irked by sam staying with him (at the end of chimera) than getting engaged to him (because they'd made him better by then).

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                                I think we needed that in the midst of our whinging...WELL REASONED AS IT MAY BE.

And may I personally let off a little squee for the snippet of information we have for The Road Not Taken (which sounds to be a CARTER ep)???

*squee*
                                i'm scared now of any sam ep that comes around. actually scared. i'm wondering what new ways they can think of of ruining/dissing sam's character. this fear comes from season 9, which had ONE good sam scene/moment for me (The Scourge).

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X