Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    Again, lest there be any misunderstanding, this is nothing against Michael Shanks or Daniel Jackson. I'm just saying that TPTB pick and choose when they want to utilize and prioritize actors and characters, and when they simply don't have the time to develop an arc for them.
    Spoiler:
    Literally prioritize...literally.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
      Ok for what it is worth my views on things:

Spoiler:
      I don't think it was a lack of creativity or it wasn't even disrespectfull against AT...It was just a lack of time and a lack of ep. IMO
      they had to deal with a lot of new characters...and that is never easy. especially cause IMO they knew that there would be fans who wouldn't like the changes that were unavoidable. I mean with RDA gone they had to have at least a new General. And maybe also again a 4 teammember. And with AT going for a few ep. they also needed a 4 teammember again and the preference was a woman. So they came up with it and while they were at it they also thought a regular doc would be nice. so that makes a lot of new characters that the fans didn't know about. And the rest of the characters already had a backstorie. So in their oppinion, they needed to give the rest also a backstorie. So that is what they did. I mean the relationship between Landry and Cam: I mean that was totally unnecessary but that makes them more human and the fans can better relate to them.
      Than we get to know Vala and what she was...and how she still is.
      Also Cam has his share of his personal life...
      So not much time left for the old characters to let them have their backstorie. I think if there were more eps or more time for every ep. We wouldn't have that problem. I really don't think TPTB did it on purpose. they just want the explore the other characters to, and because we don't know a thing about them they tried to do it as quick as possible. So instead of just giving some hints about it they focussed on it...On their backstories. and that is why IMO stargate has so much changed. Because of the fact that it became more of the Cam/Vala/Landry/Lam show.
      And I think with season 10 we have more change of that not being the case anymore because we know a lot about the new teammembers. So they just fit in like the rest of the team. they don't need that attention anymore.
      Spoilers for Season 9
      Spoiler:

I'm sorry but that doesn't really wash with me in terms of Sam. Because in my mind they could have easily moved Collateral Damage or Babylon up in the filming schedule when AT was gone. There was no reason why Sam had to be in either of these episodes because she did absolutely nothing in them. Then they could also have chucked the The Ties That Bind episode which to me is a complete waste of money and forty two minutes of my life. Then they would have had the time to write an episode around Sam's return and explain why she was no longer leader of SG-1. It's was a matter of personal preference and the writers preferred to go with the romp around the galaxy rather explain Sam's return.
      Last edited by ForeverSg1; 02 August 2006, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        I think the reason that there was no big Sam arc start of season 9 was because they knew Amanda was coming back. And practically, it's kinda hard to film an arc for a character when the actor isn't available They would have also been hampered by the fact that it was at the very start of a new season, which means they didn't have any opportunity for a lead up episode to explain the absence. Daniel got an arc because they knew Shanks was leaving before they finished teh season (plus they didnt know if he was ever coming back). Jonas got an arc because Nemec was available to film for his exit. Different situation for AT and RDA in the fact that they both were unavailable with no opportunity to explain the absence before hand.
        Good points AD, but I still think they could have done a better job explaining things.
        S9
        Spoiler:
        RDA's few guest appearances were totally wasted. The time should have been all in one episode explaining where he was going. Now, with AT, it was a little more complicated. But, they still could have filmed a few scenes after she returned from maternity leave and added them to earlier episodes (just enough to explain things better). I know they did the little sat. phone call between Sam and Mitchell, but they could have done more.

Happy Birthday TJ!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          Spoilers for Season 9
          Spoiler:

I'm sorry but that doesn't really wash with me in terms of Sam. Because in my mind they could have easily moved Collateral Damage or Babylon up in the filming schedule when AT was gone. There was no reason why Sam had to be in either of these episodes because she did absolutely nothing in them and in my opinion. They could also have lost the The Ties That Bind episode which to me is a complete waste of money then they would have had the time to write an episode around Sam's return and why she was no longer leader of SG-1. It's was a matter of personal preference and the writers preferred to go with the romp around the galaxy rather explain Sam's return.
          Here, here! I agree completely!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            Even still Spazzy, they had actor availability for Daniel's arc. Any arc for Sam would have had to be done without actually seeing anything on screen about it. And TV is a visual medium..
            Yes, however...

Spoiler:
            AT was in Avalon, Part One. They, again, bent over backwards to have a minute-long conversation between Sam and Cameron via satellite. They could've easily written in something, anything to explain Sam's purpose at Area 51, beyond some vague experiments and projects that were brought to the fore in Beachhead, and then weren't even mentioned again until Ethon.

I never in a million years would've expected them to halt production for her a la RDA in S8, but it's not like she came up to them in February, burgeoning belly and all, and said, "Surprise!"

They knew she was going to be out of commission long before S8 was finished in post-production, long before contracts were negotiatiated for the following season, and long before they announced that BB and CB were on board. Like Sky has said, it's entirely possible that they (whoever "they" are) were anticipating a quiet exit on her part.

whinge...
            Spoiler:
            They're writers, for crying out loud. It's their job to make the impossible sound possible, the implausible sound plausible. If they hadn't been so deathly afraid of taking away from Mitchell's Grand Introduction, they would've taken the time (RCC would've taken the time) to see the big picture.

But he didn't. Evidently none of them did. Perhaps orders came from On High to deliberately ignore the big picture for what it really was. And that's OK.

Because I own about 175 episodes where the entire team works as a cohesive group, and Sam specifically serves a purpose of some kind in 98% of them. And that's all that matters to me.

ETA: It's a simple issue like this that makes me really resent Brad Wright's complaining. He targets fans' issues with RDA's absence, something that's clearly out of their control and can be attributed to some fans taking it too far, yet he doesn't address the issue with AT's continued underutilization or the gender bias that was evidently put into play to push her out of the lead role. Why? Because it's indefensible.
            Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 02 August 2006, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
              But she wasn't available in the beginning...so they just took Mitchell who was probably the best man for the job. And if Sam came back from area 51...they didn't change it because they just couldn't make that too Mitchell. I mean first they say you can lead SG1 and than suddanly they would take it away from you...oooh I don't think Mitchell would have liked that. But it would have been fun to see that
              Ok someone with a military background can probably give a better answer to this...
              I am just thinking and giving my oppinion to it so...
              I don't mean to be rude or insulting in anyway, but how can anyone suggest that Mitchell was the best man for the job? Ok, I get that Sam was gone, but come on are you telling me that every other SG member quit as well? I know for a fact we have at least 23 SG teams now and many of them are lead by Colonels who probably have much more experience than Mitchell so I just don't understand why because Sam leaves the SGC that noone else was deemed qualified enough to lead SG-1 other than Mitchell.

In terms of bringing in a new lead character yes, but in terms of the Stargate universe it makes absolutely no sense at all to me. Just as it makes no sense to me that Sam would leave SG-1 for a position at Area 51 only to be asked to be transferred back six weeks later and willingly take a demotion in the process. I'm no military know-it-all, but what AF officer in their right mind would do something so idiotic? How can this possibly look good on her record? She's leader of SG-1. She requests a transfer to Area 51 and takes a position as head of Research & Development and then six weeks later asks for another transfer to be 2IC of SG-1 again. On paper, wouldn't that look like Sam just couldn't cut it as head of R&D and willingly took a step backwards? I understand all the reasons that have been given for Mitchell having the lead, I just don't believe they are good reasons.

Comment

Spoiler:
                I'm still waiting for a real Sam-rooted episode this season. She's been relegated to tech guy sidekick lately, but everybody knows she's one of the main honchos on this show. They can't sacrifice her character, because she's too important. I want the old Sam back. Nothing to do with AT, she's awesome. But the writers had better take heed before the ratings get any worse...

Comment

Originally posted by aeromathlete
                  Spoiler:
                  I'm still waiting for a real Sam-rooted episode this season. She's been relegated to tech guy sidekick lately, but everybody knows she's one of the main honchos on this show. They can't sacrifice her character, because she's too important. I want the old Sam back. Nothing to do with AT, she's awesome. But the writers had better take heed before the ratings get any worse...
                  I think we'll get just that in The Road Not Taken.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by kes
                    I saw a special for season 5 and
                    Spoiler:
                    Martin Wood says something like: "This season we are going to have a sex scene which is very unusual for this show."
                    The clip they show is Sam and Orlin. The glowing scene.
                    Ah...well then there you have it...the glowy thing was more than we thought it was.
                    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                      You have some good points there.

But what I mean is the whole leadership issue, the new lead thing... They take it away from someone who has worked so hard for 8 years, both actress and character. It's like me working my butt off at my job and then, say, I have an accident and have to leave. I come back, but someone with no experience has my job. I'm expected to work under this person and be happy with it. Or being with a company for years and maybe that promotion is right there, but so-and-so from another company downtown waltzes right in and takes what I deserve. It would hurt and definitely make me think I wasn't valued. Not only do I feel for Amanda, I do for MS and CJ as well.

They didn't HAVE to get 3 or 4 new characters. They chose to. And they shouldn't have taken on more than they could handle.

Oh, I'm being negative tonight. I'm sorry! Maybe I'll go watch ITLOD and be happy. Very, very happy.
                      Sigh, me too. I really need to find a happy place. Too little Sam and too little hubby( hubby's been out town for the past two weeks) makes for a very unhappy Forever. Hopefully my disposition will improve tomorrow when he returns. If not, I promise to hold off posting for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by aeromathlete
                        Spoiler:
                        I don't know if we'll get any substantial Sam moments beyond...

Late S10...
                        Spoiler:
                        Sam being the damsel in distress.

But if you're looking for great acting on AT's part...

Spoiler:
                        PegPro, Line in the Sand and The Road Not Taken will probably be our best bets, though I'd like to wait until it gets closer to when they air. In March.

I know what you mean, though. I don't want Sam or any character to dominate the series. I just want to see each character used to their full potential. When it comes to Sam, that hasn't happened in a year.

ETA: OK, here's a nice vid that made me smile, if no one's posted it here before:

Whenever You Remember

It'll either cheer you up or make you depressed all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          Well if TJ is correct about 8000 nerve endings and the brain is the control center of those nerves then I suppose one could assume that being connected spiritually and mentally the way Sam and Orlin were in Ascension could be considered a sexual experience. Who's to say what sharing one's essense would feel like? It may produce a similiar chemical and physical reaction as the big O; however, I always thought of it as much more spiritual and emotional connection than a physical one, much like Narim sharing his emotions with her. The reason being, if it were more than that, I would have expected Sam to be weak in the knees after being glowed by Orlin. She looked surprised, one might even say excited, but definitely not the kind of response I would have expected from a woman who just had the ultimate sexual experience. But I suppose that's the difference between a man and a woman's point of view regarding sex.

Personally I wouldn't have minded it if they had suggested it was sexual during Ascension. Sam deserved to meet someone who liked her and treated her well. I just hated the scene in FH1 because they took a personal experience of Sam's and turned it into a joke and made Sam look embarrassed by the entire thing. Poor taste in my opinion. Personally I don't think the subject should have ever been brought up by Landry, especially with Daniel and Lam in the room. It was very a bad judgement call on his part and had I been Sam I would have been mortified to have to discuss it with him in that situation. I would have also lost a great deal of respect for the man as well as Lam.
                          ((((foreversg1)))) You hit the nail on the head with that post...well said...thank you!!!
                          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM
                            I told a non-Stargate fan friend pretty much the exact same thing when she asked me why I liked AT so much to which I got the response "Oh, she just knows how to play to her audience, I bet she doesn't really believe all of the stuff she says!" - needless to say I was shocked that a) my friend was so cynical (I should've expected it tho, she's a real 'glass-is-half-empty' kinda gal) and b) I realised that so many actors do that, hence her pessimism.

I thought about that for ages and I came to the conclusion that I do believe Amanda to be sincere (it helps a bit that I've met her twice since the discussion ) and that, yes, she does sometimes put words out there to provoke a reaction (like the 'TPTB told me that don't know what to do with Sam') but you know what? I trust her judgement enough that when she does ocasionally choose to make a provocative statement like that it's for a damn good reason and I think that as fans it's our duty to stand up for our beloved character and our favourite person and say when we think that TPTB have gone too far when Amanda is restricted as to what she can and can't say as part of her moral obligation as a cast member.

That's just how I feel about it anyway.
                            Touche...well said.
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              see, and with stuff like this, folks wonder why i still feel that someone was very sincerely hoping that AT would just not come baby from baby leave.

IMHO, the writers treat sam like crud. She is NOT that hard to write (i say this from a person that finds sam incredibly easy to write, in fact it's daniel's civilianness that i can't get a handle on). but they don't seem to want to even try to write her.

if they can't force her into a cliched mode, they just ignore her.

these writers are pro's. i would imagine that after all these years they're getting paid very, very, very well for the jobs that they can do. and with all due respect to personal preferences, dude, for what you're no doubt getting paid you can LEARN how to write sam. writing a character is your job, your vocation. how you pay the bills. and foisting it off onto a cliche with the lame excuse of 'we jsut can't get a handle on her' is not a behavior of a professional, it's the excuses you see from a college kid, strugling through his first semester of film school

stop making excuses and start thinking and start doing your job. Because one would think, the wonderful, fantastic, super funny an spectacular writers you are you could crank something out for one character.

Unless, of course, your egos have outstripped your skills.
                              WooHoo...WTG Sky...you tell em girl!!! Great post!
                              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                                Aw. Looks like you need some lurve.

Spoilers for Off Topic Content Meant to Make jckfan (and me) SMILE:
                                Spoiler:

and what about *me*???

i'd marry the man right on the spot!

rick: hi.
                                sally: YES!

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X