Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
    I agree. This month AT, next month RDA. Fair enough.

Don't forget, he's got MacGyver AND Stargate fans voting. AT needs our support.
    i'm ok with RDA taking the number 1 spot and AT taking 2 or the other way round. of course i'd prefer AT 1, RDA 2. but i'm not bothered that much about it. at least they're both up there. what bugs me is that chris judge is way way way down. and nobody seems to care.

i'll get over it.

(still though very cool having AT and RDA at 1&2. the former lead and the current lead of the show. )

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
      I'll be very sad and disappointed if it's the RDA fans that take the #1 spot away from AT.
      Especially when a lot of Amanda fans contributed votes to RDA, this month and last, to help him along.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
        I just can't understand TPTB. They are obviously ignoring the fans. Right here on GW they can access what thousands of us think; see which way the wind is blowing. Apparently they are forgetting we exist or can't read.
        This is what I don't understand...why ignore the fans...without us there wouldn't be a show. Ignorance is no excuse...what is wrong with them? I'm not suggesting they do everything we want (although that does sound rather interesting!) but surely they're aware that we are a lot more observant than they obviously give us credit for. You know, they have bought in new cast members to change the dynamics of the show (not that they needed to do that anyway) so why not bring in new writers (female writers!!!) and give the fans something to crow about!!
        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
          LOL, well Amanda did say if it were up to her Sam and Jack would already be married....

But I guess the point is, it's reached a bit of a breaking spot. Ten years is ten years and it's time to make that decision,and one way or another. Amanda's not the only person who feels that way. I have a strong feeling we'll know sooner than you might think.

mg
          Yep, I have a feeling you will have some sort of answer in 36 days. But I don't think it's truly going to be the answer that most fans want to hear.

Comment

I would be so bold as to imagine that shippers and non shippers alike would even agree on that point, too.

mg
            As a shipper thru and thru, I agree!
            It should be resolved but of course I would like it to be in the positive...I love the ship!
            I never see Sam as weak in regards to her personal life or the ship and the indecisions made by the PTB. She's a falliable human just like all of us and that's a cool thing not weak!
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db
              Good morning everyone! I've only got a few minutes to try and catch up with last nights posts before I head out to work, so please bear with me here.
              I watched Origin last night (season 9 is finally on Aussie tv!!) and I'm still enjoying season 9 thus far.
              Spoiler:
              Hubby watched for a while and made this comment: "It's just not the same without MacGuyver...is it" I told him that it didn't have to be the same...change is inevitable.
              I don't think Jack is in the position to make an unconditional offer but then again I don't think it was implied that he would either. He did tell Mitchell he could have any post he wanted..then he said..well almost anything!
              As for his place on SG1 being determined before Sam left...I can't see that being the case...he may have been thinking of joining SG1 before they disbanded but I can't imagine Landry or anyone allowing SG1 to disband knowing that Mitchell was going to join them...and he didn't ask to command SG1...he just wanted to join...IIRC, he asked about Sam being the leader of the team when Landry offered him command of SG1 and that's when he learned there was no team as they had all left. And I don't recall Sam being downgraded...or have I missed something here?
              I want Sam to be leader of SG1 just as much as anyone, but I don't/won't blame Mitchell for her not having command...I think TPTB really screwed up on this issue and hopefully (fingers crossed!) it will be resolved and that Sam will finally get command...I will scream so loud you'll be able to hear me from wherever you are in the world if they give full command to Mitchell!

Ok...enough ranting for now...I'm off to work! Be back late tonite!
              first of all *cough*spoilertags*cough*. second;

Spoiler:

this is exactly the problem we face. when the show fails its not going to be because they screwed up, its going to be because losing their big "name" RDA lost them viewers and people just didnt' want to give it a chance.

its not true at all, but some people do say its just not the same anymore without RDA. thats not because RDA's not on the show anymore, its because they screwed up the show after he left! and now that i think of it, the less time RDA put into the show as both an actor and producer, the lower the quality was. it was still good, but just not quite as good. now that he's not a producer at all (and by RDA i mean both he and greenburg) the show has plummeted in quality just because of a few really poor choices.

i can enjoy most of season 9 (although not as much as 1-8) if i don't think about it. but i've only given about 3 episodes a second look out of 20. usually i'd have at least looked at the whole season again by now.

the problem for me is, i really have to switch off the intelligent (well, intelligent like a monkey) part of my brain and turn up the dial on the "ooh look shiny and explosive" part of my brain to enjoy it, and that to me is why its just not the same anymore.

and back to the leadership thing, none of it makes sense. don't try to make sense of it, because its not really possible. for example, mitchell was given command of sg1 because he was the only one on the team, the others left. he asked sam to come back and take command, she didn't. when eventually she did return, the team hadn't been formed (or re-formed). mitchell was still trying to get them back so that he could join them. then they all get back together and he somehow ends up "leading" the team (or co-leading depending on which PTB you want to listen to). can we say "conveniant oversight"?

and there is no way that i can buy into the idea that jack, at that point in his career at least, had the authority to offer any officer any post he wanted. this was set when cam was still in a hospital bed and barely conscious wasn't it? he would have been a newly promoted general in charge of the sgc, or else frozen in antarctica, but probably the first one.

it would have come from the joint cheifs by order of the president to my mind. but of course, this is mere speculation on my part.

anyway, the point i was trying to make was that none of this makes sense. they will most certainly have to use the chewbacca defense to get out of this one.

not all of what i said there was spoilers, but i'm very lazy and couldn't be bothered separating it. as far as i can remember there was nothing about season 10 in it anyway.
              Last edited by stargate barbie; 13 July 2006, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Teal'c: Colonel Mitchell, is it not inadvisable to bathe without any clothing while we are exploring an alien world?
                Daniel: Huh. I always thought when he said his callsign was "SHAFT" that might actually mean... uh ... something.
                Sam: Well, there goes that theory.
                ROFLMAO!! What a cracker...you're truly brilliant mini!!
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

This is what I don't understand...why ignore the fans...without us there wouldn't be a show. Ignorance is no excuse...what is wrong with them? I'm not suggesting they do everything we want (although that does sound rather interesting!) but surely they're aware that we are a lot more observant than they obviously give us credit for. You know, they have bought in new cast members to change the dynamics of the show (not that they needed to do that anyway) so why not bring in new writers (female writers!!!) and give the fans something to crow about!!
                  aaawww, *pats chelle db on the head* girls can't write. *swats chelle db on butt* *goes to see exorcist about this pesky sci fi writer that seems to have possessed me*

Comment

As for his place on SG1 being determined before Sam left...I can't see that being the case...he may have been thinking of joining SG1 before they disbanded but I can't imagine Landry or anyone allowing SG1 to disband knowing that Mitchell was going to join them...and he didn't ask to command SG1...he just wanted to join...IIRC, he asked about Sam being the leader of the team when Landry offered him command of SG1 and that's when he learned there was no team as they had all left.
                    Spoiler:
                    I actually consider the circumstances regarding Mitchell getting command very suspicious.

The F-302s were moving too fast for me to count them but there seems to have been at least a couple of dozen of them, and each seems to have had two pilots, so there were probably around fifty F-302 pilots, minimum, who made the same effort to ensure SG-1's safety, then we have the crew of the Prometheus, General Hammond who was in overall command and SG-1, with Jack doing the bulk of the world-saving.

Out of all these people, Mitchell - who technically did less to protect SG-1 than the other F-302 pilots as he got shot down partway through the battle - was singled out for honours. There is no way that the other pilots were given the same treatment; dozens of CMOHs being handed out for a test flight would definitely raise some questions. As I have said before, the only other time that anyone was offered a post of their choice was when the President made the offer to Jack after he had flown a soon-to-explode stargate away from Earth, saving the planet and not for the first time either. Mitchell's actions during the battle over Antarctica simply do not compare.

So the question is why was Mitchell singled out? Why was Sam moved to Area 51 a week before he arrived at the SGC instead of having her stay for at least a few weeks, both to show Mitchell the ropes and to quietly evaluate whether or not he would make a good team leader before he was given command of any team? Even if Sam couldn't be there, there were nearly thirty other officers who could have done this. There was no urgency about having an SG-1 team back in the field, so why wasn't Mitchell sent to undergo the training course, followed by an apprenticeship under another SG team leader?

It looks to me that somebody* badly wanted to have Mitchell in command of SG-1, and that person was prepared to pull a lot of strings to get him in command.

*Note: Besides TPTB.

And I don't recall Sam being downgraded...or have I missed something here?
                    In my book

Sole command of SG-1 -> second-in-command (at best, co-command) of SG-1 = Sam being downgraded.
                    Last edited by ReganX; 13 July 2006, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                      Oh, thanks for reminding me. A preteen (girl) got up there and asked how many boyfriends Sam has had... And no, I'm not kidding. AT seemed to struggle, got some help from the audience, but in the end, I believe she said, "I don't know."

That's when I actually started to get a little annoyed. I wasn't so much annoyed with the young teen who seemed to be asking a question of a woman she admired; but I was annoyed at the fact that it's really gone so far.
                      Which is about the time I yelled the answer 'ONE!'

'PETE!'

Why can't these people get it in their freaking heads that a boyfriend is a regular male companion in a romantic or sexual relationship. Sam may have had a crush on one or two guys, she has snogged a few, even had a mind-blowing-glow-me session with one, but she has only had a regular romantic relationship with one guy in ten years. Why is it that so many people seem to think that she was romantically and sexually involved with so many men? I know I'm probably the only person who cares, but these types of questions truly irritate me.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                        Spoiler:
                        he asked sam to come back and take command, she didn't.
                        Spoiler:
                        Actually, Mitchell asked Sam to come back to join SG-1. He said nothing about her leading. He wanted her to leave a command position at Area 51 to serve on SG-1 under his command - and even tried to guilt trip her into returning.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                          Spoiler:
                          Actually, Mitchell asked Sam to come back to join SG-1. He said nothing about her leading. He wanted her to leave a command position at Area 51 to serve on SG-1 under his command - and even tried to guilt trip her into returning.
                          well i be damned. i just checked it and you're right
                          Spoiler:
                          he basically says come back and join sg-1 in case i screw up and need you to bale me out. well, my opinion of him just went down a notch or two. :rollseyes:

Comment

first of all *cough*spoilertags*cough*. second;
                            OMG...I'm soo sorry..I forgot...can it be fixed?
                            DoH...I feel like such a nuff nuff!
                            I'm off to work...I'll be back later...no doubt to hoards of screaming samandans who want to chew my eyes out...Sorry guys!
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

well i be damned. i just checked it and you're right
                              Spoiler:
                              he basically says come back and join sg-1 in case i screw up and need you to bale me out. well, my opinion of him just went down a notch or two. :rollseyes:
                              My opinion of him can't go down any further, unless I change my zero to ten character scale to one that includes negative scores.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                Which is about the time I yelled the answer 'ONE!'

'PETE!'

Why can't these people get it in their freaking heads that a boyfriend is a regular male companion in a romantic or sexual relationship. Sam may have had a crush on one or two guys, she has snogged a few, even had a mind-blowing-glow-me session with one, but she has only had a regular romantic relationship with one guy in ten years. Why is it that so many people seem to think that she was romantically and sexually involved with so many men? I know I'm probably the only person who cares, but these types of questions truly irritate me.
                                no no, i care. and i agree. wow if every guy i'd been attracted to was classified as my boyfriend i... ok this is making me sound bad.

but IMO its more a case of her being friendly and guys being attracted to her for the most part. with the exception of martouf, for whom she had very very confusing feelings most of which probably weren't even hers. we don't really know if she was attracted to orlin in ascension. well i say that, but even if she didn't have feelings for him like he had for her, she'd have to be blind and stupid not to have been. anyway, i'll stop making lists because its unneccessary at this point.

but it does bug me that people insist on speaking of sam as though she's slept with/had a relationship with every guy who bats his eyelashes at her, yet convieniently forget that daniel and teal'c and even jack have done way more than she has in the entire course of the show.

ok, i appear to be complaining a lot more than usual (or not i don't know).

Comment

Working...
                                X