Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoilers and speculation for Season 10:
    (not for those who want to stay on the 'glass half full side of things today'... so open the spoiler with caution)
    Spoiler:
    Originally posted by ReganX
    Originally posted by Skydiver
    i too would love to see sam promoted.
    Ibut promoting Sam and having her take command because of her higher rank does not reflect badly on Mitchell.
    Sam getting promoted to full Colonel is certainly a possiblity - she is 'on the ship that gets captured' in 'In The Company of Thieves'...

what didn't sit well with me was

1) that the episode spoilers are all about Mitchell's heroics as he attempts to save the rest of SG1

2) the spoilers don't refer to Carter by her rank. She's just 'Samantha Carter'... with no honorific or title. If they'd just said Carter, it wouldn't have sent my radar twitching. But to call her Samantha Carter without the reference to her rank... I think that they are up to something. Are they going to write it so that Carter is no longer in the Air Force? Or is she getting promoted - and they don't want that to leak yet? Whatever they are doing, it's already decided - and probably written, scripted and maybe even already filmed and in the can. I do think that they are going to do something to address the 'leadership issue of SG-1'. Mitchell is going to get full command of SG-1, and he's the new hero. What they are going to do with Carter's character... I haven't sussed that out yet. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see her written as resigning from the Air Force... taking some special 'consulting' position... etc. I was hoping that she'd be given a promotion and command of one Earth's new ships... but if it's going to result in having her ship taken over by the enemy... and then Mitchell rescues her (and her crew)... oy!

3) or maybe there's something else in the works that we haven't considered. Why is 'Samantha Carter' on that ship when it gets captured? Maybe it's not 'our Carter'? Could it be.... RepliCarter? An AU Carter?

??

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_girl
      now that i would like to see. not sam calling mitchell sir, but her calling him a moron. im sure the look on his face would be priceless
      i'm sure that wouldn't be allowed. widdle sammy-wammy can't ouchy poo little cammy-wammy's feelings now can she
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        (not for those who want to stay on the 'glass half full side of things today'... so open the spoiler with caution)
        Spoiler:
        Sam getting promoted to full Colonel is certainly a possiblity - she is 'on the ship that gets captured' in 'In The Company of Thieves'...

1) that the episode spoilers are all about Mitchell's heroics as he attempts to save the rest of SG1

2) the spoilers don't refer to Carter by her rank. She's just 'Samantha Carter'... with no honorific or title. If they'd just said Carter, it wouldn't have sent my radar twitching. But to call her Samantha Carter without the reference to her rank... I think that they are up to something. Are they going to write it so that Carter is no longer in the Air Force? Or is she getting promoted - and they don't want that to leak yet? Whatever they are doing, it's already decided - and probably written, scripted and maybe even already filmed and in the can. I do think that they are going to do something to address the 'leadership issue of SG-1'. Mitchell is going to get full command of SG-1, and he's the new hero. What they are going to do with Carter's character... I haven't sussed that out yet. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see her written as resigning from the Air Force... taking some special 'consulting' position... etc. I was hoping that she'd be given a promotion and command of one Earth's new ships... but if it's going to result in having her ship taken over by the enemy... and then Mitchell rescues her (and her crew)... oy!

3) or maybe there's something else in the works that we haven't considered. Why is 'Samantha Carter' on that ship when it gets captured? Maybe it's not 'our Carter'? Could it be.... RepliCarter? An AU Carter?

??

i agree with you on point one. course, ALL the spoilers are skewed so heavily cam and vala that it's rather nauseating

point two....i wouldn't put it past them

point threee....they ain't got the cajones to do that. if it was BSG i'd consider it,b ut these writers/???? nah.

sigpic

Comment

TPTB wanted Cam to be the competent, heroic leader of SG-1. They also wanted him to be reckless, excited and "fun".

Rather than choose between the two, they tried to make him both and the result is a terribly written, inconsistent character.
          that is annoying to the point of violence.

no, that that i would commit violence on the character...but it looks like teal'c sure will

indecisiveness has irreperably harmed mitch.

in tryin to make him too much, they've made him too little and nothing more than a 2 dimensional creation

sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

??

Spoiler:
            Positive-Me hopes that TPTB have decided to try and redeem themselves and correct some of their many, many mistakes last season by promoting Sam to full colonel - I think that most of us would agree that she's earned it.

Negative-Me (aka Realistic-Me) doesn't think there's much of a chance of this, especially since the could still call her "Colonel Carter" if she was a lieutenant colonel. Having Sam retire her Air Force commission would certainly sort out the leadership issue, leaving Mitchell to bask in the limelight as sole commander of SG-1.

His greatness will be emphasized over and over and over and over and over again, just in case anybody missed it when they told (not showed) us what a wonderful hewo he is.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

i'm sure that wouldn't be allowed. widdle sammy-wammy can't ouchy poo little cammy-wammy's feelings now can she
              Why on Earth not? Sam is a lovely person, but even she has her limits.

Maybourne isn't nearly as annoying and he is much more intelligent and likeable than Mitchell and look what she said to him.

A few harsh words might do Cammy-wammy all the good in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                For others though, I think it's because she's a woman. Not to get all feminist here, but society hasn't come to really view the importance of women on par with men yet. I think a lot of people give verbal support to the concept of equity-but deeply socialized ideas and beliefs are hard to overcome. I believe that, unconciously, a lot of people see Mitchell's career as simply more important because he's the man.
                Well said, Deejay! And ReganX, and Mickey23 and Skydiver and ForeverSG1
                deliberatly or unconsciously support sexism by how they've written sam the past few years, by how they've written vala and by how they promote cam

chauvenism is rife at bridge studios, and what's even worse is that so few can or will see it and just accept it as 'normal'

attitudes like that are why the girls growing up today will still be paid less to work harder and held to sexist double standards

Sam, as she was written seasons 1-6, was the opposite of the male sexist dieal. she was independant, intelligent and smart. she didn't trade her body or get wehre she was through trickery or friends or favors. she EARNED her position and the respect she had.
                Originally posted by Deejay435
                Here's a meloncholy little back-story fic about teenage Sam. It almost brought tears to my eyes:

http://www.stars-like-dust.potameides.com/tequila.htm
                Thanks for the fic rec, Deejay!

Comment

Why on Earth not? Sam is a lovely person, but even she has her limits.

Maybourne isn't nearly as annoying and he is much more intelligent and likeable than Mitchell and look what she said to him.

A few harsh words might do Cammy-wammy all the good in the world.
                  but mitch is the hewo. and no one can speak ill of the hewo.

all must bow down to his great hewoness and bask in his hewoic glory

only mean evil baddies speak ill of the hewo

sigpic

Comment

but mitch is the hewo. and no one can speak ill of the hewo.

all must bow down to his great hewoness and bask in his hewoic glory

only mean evil baddies speak ill of the hewo
                    Oh right, I keep forgetting that Mitchell is the hewo and the center of the universe. Silly me.

It's not like the other characters, the SGC and the galaxy fared just fine without him for eight years or anything.

Comment

Well said, Deejay! And ReganX, and Mickey23 and Skydiver and ForeverSG1
                      Thanks for the fic rec, Deejay!
                      that is a great fic!

sigpic

Comment

Oh right, I keep forgetting that Mitchell is the hewo and the center of the universe. Silly me.

It's not like the other characters, the SGC and the galaxy fared just fine without him for eight years or anything.
                        i KNOW!!

it's a miracle aint it?????

how EVER did they manage to get along???????????

sigpic

Comment

i KNOW!!

it's a miracle aint it?????

how EVER did they manage to get along???????????

Since intelligence, common sense, teamwork and competence apparently don't make for hewos, I have no idea.

Comment

Spoiler:

??

Hmmmm. I didn't catch that. I was too busy rolling my eyes at
                            Spoiler:
                            the whole Mitchell gets to rescue all of SG-1 bit... And why, oh why, can't somebody else besides Mitchell and Vala get to do something heroic for a change?

I does make me wonder, though. Having Sam resign from the Air Force would certainly solve their leadership issue, all right. Ugh!

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                              Spoiler:
                              the whole Mitchell gets to rescue all of SG-1 bit... And why, oh why, can't somebody else besides Mitchell and Vala get to do something heroic for a change?
                              Spoiler:
                              Because allowing anybody else to play a role beyond that of sidekick or background would mean taking valuable minutes of screentime away from the golden boy and girl - they only have 800-odd to play with after all, and Jack will be hogging a few of those.

Comment

awwwwww, why not?????

i think she should. ah well a girl can dream cant she

but i guess your right seeing as he is the hewo. im suprised, seeing that we didnt have him around, that the goauld didnt manage to take over the world

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Working...
                                X