No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is everyone really digging her new curls?

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianneP
      Yesterday, and even earlier today, I was thinking of subscribing to this thread because I (thought I was) am a big fan of Samantha Carter and Amanda Tapping -- apparently she was in an episode of "Due South" but I can't remember which episode and don't recall seeing her but I'm a big fan of "Due South" so this tid bit I always remember. After reading the past posts from yesterday, I don't think I even hit the posts from today and I've been reading for two or three HOURS!, there's no way I'm subscribing. I don't back anything I've read thus far ... Instead I'm just left with my mouth hanging open with the hate I'm reading here.

Because AT/SC MIGHT be split between two shows, you aren't going to watch either? And Atlantis sucks, you don't watch it but it must suck because you don't watch it ... Or is it because Sam and Jack aren't in it that it sucks? I can't keep track anymore. I didn't realize the name of the show was actually "Stargate: Sam and Jack" ... I'm really new to the show so maybe that's just my shortsightedness. I thought it was the writing that really made the show, again I'm new.

:: Shaking her head :: Just ... :: Continues to shake her head in disbelief ::

Adrianne
      I’m pretty sure no one said any of this.

I will not watch the show if the Show changes direction and goes in the direction of most badly made sci fi shows on SciFi channel and TV in general.

Stargate was great because it was superior to all of those other shows. The disrespect TPTB are showing AT and have shown RDA and MS and CN and the current storylines of the show all make me see that the show no longer appears to be what it once was. If they had the same great storylines with the same (or similar) great characters I would watch it. I am saddened by the change in direction to what I consider cheap spandex sci fi, if you like it, good for you. But don’t go trashing me as some type of hatemonger because I like good old fashioned Stargate.

And BTW I like Atlantis just the way it is and as much as I like AT I think forcing a crossover of her character to that show would only be detrimental to the current chemistry on the show.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Yesterday, and even earlier today, I was thinking of subscribing to this thread because I (thought I was) am a big fan of Samantha Carter and Amanda Tapping -- apparently she was in an episode of "Due South" but I can't remember which episode and don't recall seeing her but I'm a big fan of "Due South" so this tid bit I always remember. After reading the past posts from yesterday, I don't think I even hit the posts from today and I've been reading for two or three HOURS!, there's no way I'm subscribing. I don't back anything I've read thus far ... Instead I'm just left with my mouth hanging open with the hate I'm reading here.

Because AT/SC MIGHT be split between two shows, you aren't going to watch either? And Atlantis sucks, you don't watch it but it must suck because you don't watch it ... Or is it because Sam and Jack aren't in it that it sucks? I can't keep track anymore. I didn't realize the name of the show was actually "Stargate: Sam and Jack" ... I'm really new to the show so maybe that's just my shortsightedness. I thought it was the writing that really made the show, again I'm new.

Adrianne
        Adrianne, with due respect, I don't think you managed to read all of the posts. I don't believe anyone here lobbied for a "Stargate: Sam & Jack". I think, what's most prevelant here at the moment, is a sadness over the fact that a major character, an institution to the Stargate universe, and the fabulous actress who plays that character is (quite possibly) being worked out of a lead role and into recurring status. Put simply? That sucks. Major Suckage. Now there's a character we can all relate to.

What makes Stargate .... Stargate is the characters. It's their stories we follow each week when we tune in, and it's their character-arcs we fall in love with (as viewers) and which keep us tuning in, week after week. When one of the longest-lived and most beloved of those characters is (unfairly) threatened, fans of that character can naturally become less than pleased with the direction of the series in general. It isn't that we no longer enjoy the idea of Stargate, it's that we think Stargate is enmeshed with the characters who built the universe and grew along with it over the previous decade.

Of course, some folks are simply happy to call themselves fans of Amanda, first and foremost. For them, the draw towards Stargate is, in fact, the character of Sam Carter. The point is, there are all kinds of people here with all kinds of opinions. But we're united on one front. Stargate SG-1 simply is not Stargate SG-1 without the cast members who make up that group. It's Stargate SG-something, but it's not Stargate SG-1.

mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

I think what is coming across as hate to some people is just utter confusion, depression, and disgust at the way AT may be shafted in season ten. I know that I would be reacting this way if CJ or MS was treated in the same way. After having been around the block for nine whole years, having such a wonderful reputation as good, honest, down-to-earth people, and putting up with so much for the show and the fans, it utterly blows my mind that this change may be happening. It isn't good for Amanda, Sg-1, or Atlantis. I think what is really telling about this whole situation is that there is little shock or disbelief -- all of us can see this becoming reality because we have seen similar situations in the past. MS was treated without much regard in season five, and we've heard little about Jack since RDA left. This type of treatment of the actors is, unfortunately, not something that is new, and that is why many of us are horrified but hardly surprised by such a rumor. Here's for hoping that this is all just some nasty misinformation and that everything turns out okay.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
            As for ship, well yes I am a shipper, but Sam fans are not united in that issue. Many like ship, many hate ship, many have shipped her with other people or where Agent Dark is concerned, she's shipped with food and artillery (preferrably blue jello and hot dogs and a P90). We are united however in the fact that Sam is a compelling character and for many of is the sole reason we are still watching.
            Wooo!! Sam/Hotdog!

Comment

Wouldn't you hate it if a show you loved was on the possible verge of giving up on one of it's best characters because they were apparantly out of ideas?

It's not that the show revolves around Carter at all. It's like you said, the writing should make the show. It's that the whole direction and writing of the show is changing from what - at least what I'm used to, I can't really speak for everyone here, but in my opinion, when a show like SG1 which has always been pretty sophisticated and open minded compared to hundreds of other sci fi shows turns into a vertible episode of Lost with characters bopping in and out, in other aspects going here and there, nothing solid, nothing set in stone, stories changing, changing changing, characters doing unexpected things, some characters being quite out of place in the world that was created with hardcore modern sci fi in mind, one tends to get a bit disgruntled.

If AT is split between shows, I'd feel rather sorry for her, what with some nice job opportunities coming up and Stargate really starting to become unrecognizable and rather unkind to it's devoted actors/actresses. If Carters role is weakened or something else (oh horror) Then that's officially it for me. I'll just watch Martin or something on Friday. When Jack went, the show began to go. Janet left, Daniel for a short period, then he came back - sort of, I don't feel comfortable anymore. Yeah, I'll leave the show if Carter goes. If she goes, guess who'll be next? Heck, if there is a Season 15, the same actors probably won't even be on it!

A show relies on it's writing. Abso-posi-lutely. But it also relies on good actors to carry out the story. Take Psycho. A great story. Had great actors to go with the story. They made a Psycho 2. Not that the actors were bad, they just didn't have the same thing that the originals did. You can't have your audience get attached to great actors and great stories then snatch it away for the sake of your targeted audience, or the whiners at the networks. You just can't, IMO.

IMHO.
              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Adrianne
                Hmmmm... Not sure where you're coming from, here. I think members of the thread are split pretty evenly on SGA. A lot of us like it a lot, some have said they don't. Personally, I think the writing on SGA has been better this season than on SG-1, so you won't hear any anti SGA rhetoric from me. My concern is whether or not Sam really has a place there.

And this is not a shipper thread. Here again, there are many of us here who are not keen on ship, and the shippers are usually very polite about keeping the ship discussion to a minimum. We do occasionally tease each other about it, and sometimes it's impossible to discuss Sam without also discussing the ship...

I'm sorry you find this to be a hateful place. We're are a little worked up at the moment because we're concerned about AT/Sam's role in upcoming seasons. You might consider trying us again in a few days to see if things have calmed down.

My LJ

Comment

I think that they forgot how much of SG-1 wasn't gate travel but the relationship between such complex characters on this kind of Journey. You can't just make a new Gate show and expect to have that kind of chemistry show right up. Sg-1 isn't much more exciting than Atlantis without that.

Comment

I just thought of something that I think would be interesting to mention. Since they're ending season 9 in a cliffhanger, it stands to reason they need AT to come back for at least the season premiere next year, which gives her some leverage. If she simply leaves and refuse to do any shows for season 10, how will they get out of that?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                      No, I think you'll find that people here are angry because our favourite character (to our perception) is being shafted. Ask any Daniel fan what they'd think of Daniel being reduced and split between Atlantis and I'll think you'll find they'd have a similiar reaction. Or go ask someone what the fan reaction was to Daniel leaving the show in season 6. They were, justifiably, upset. Just like we are.

I watch Atlantis and I like it. I don't know where you're getting the impression that everyone here hates it...

And you've obviously missed the point of this thread if you somehow have got the impression that everyone here is a Shipper - I could just as easily say that all Daniel fans want nothing more the show to be "Stargate: Jack and Daniel" but I wont because despite while some fans try to lead me to believe otherwise, I know thats not the case. I personally have no interest in the Ship, and I would be happy if it was never spoken of again. So I get abit annoyed when people try to tell me that all fans of Sam have to be a Sam/Jack shipper. Because its quite apparent to me that they're not.
                      I'm just going to Ditto what AD has said - I watch Atlantis as well - and as many here can tell you I'm not a shipper and have not seen all the shippy stuff that others have seen in the show. If you like that fine - if you see it were I don't fine - we can get along just fine - in fact we have a pretty good habit of kidding with each other about the Shippy stuff (right Über )

Sorry AdrianneP you have gotten this impression this weekend - stick around and see what we are really about - but please don't lump us as all being the same - I've had my issues in the past with how negitive things can get at times but all in all I find this thread to be a positive one most of the time. You are right in that we should not be attaching actors ever.

I think it is one thing to be unhappy about how someone has been treated but your right in that does not give us freedom to call anyone names.

I don't agree personally with all that you said but thanks for the reality check.
                      My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

I personally like Atlantis and the new season of SG-1 and if AT/Carter is in both, than all the better for us.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkElfa
                          I think that they forgot how much of SG-1 wasn't gate travel but the relationship between such complex characters on this kind of Journey. You can't just make a new Gate show and expect to have that kind of chemistry show right up. Sg-1 isn't much more exciting than Atlantis without that.
                          I'm locked out of the green jello fridge for the next 24 hours, but that was such a great point. Hat's off.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                            As for ship, well yes I am a shipper, but Sam fans are not united in that issue. Many like ship, many hate ship, many have shipped her with other people or where Agent Dark is concerned, she's shipped with food and artillery (preferrably blue jello and hot dogs and a P90). We are united however in the fact that Sam is a compelling character and for many of is the sole reason we are still watching.
                            And Über forgot to mention Sam's First, Best and Truest Love, to which she's been faithful in all its incarnations: the Stargate itself.

Sam/Gate
                            ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                              Congrats MajorSal.

Amanda told the whole con about the thread which she has been told about (but not visited) she said it had got 2,000 post with glee and then looked astounded when CG said 2,000 pages and close to 20,000 posts. She was genuinley surprised and pleased. Congrats to all on this htread for lifting Amanda's spirits a little!!

i'm so proud of my good SAMaritans!

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Indeed you are correct, it's hard for her to make time for anyone and still stay faithful to her love in life.

Comment

Working...
                                X