Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SnoggingPicard
    WHAT?!? You've got to be kidding me! TPTB -- what the heck? No offense to Claudia Black -- she's a fabulous actress -- but HEADLINING? Ummm...okay?
    I don't that actually means what it sounds. If I remember correctly, MS, CJ and AT also headline the cons. I think it means she's one of the major guests, not THE guest.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
      Oh Amanda made it clear she didn't want to do any cons next year because of Olivia. I think she is doing just one on the east side of the US
      I wonder if she'll end up deciding to so the Vancouver one? I completely understand if she doesn't do it but since it's in the same city and she could go home to her own house...well, I can hope anyway. It'd probably be the only chance I'll ever have to meet her and hear her talk.

Comment

Originally posted by Naeara
        I don't that actually means what it sounds. If I remember correctly, MS, CJ and AT also headline the cons. I think it means she's one of the major guests, not THE guest.
        Thanks for this. I guess this means that Vala will definitely be coming back for Season 10 an awful lot. Okay with me.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          Ok, I'm all settled in my new hotel room and we've decided to actually take today off and just rest as I'm exhausted after Gabit; so I've decided to try to sit down and write up a few details regarding the con. Here's a few questions and answers I can recall off the top of my head at the moment. I'll try to write more later.

If Amanda could be a man for a day what would she do?

She said she'd like to be President, then someone in the audience mentioned peeing on a bush and she laughed and agreed that she?d like to take a whirl at peeing on a bush (standing up). She mentioned a few other things as well, but embarrassed herself in the process so I'll leave those things off the thread. I'll let someone else post it on the web. Laugh.

She also mentioned how she had recently been offered a chance to meet her idol Carol Burnett, but she chickened out saying she was worried that she would make a fool of herself.

She talked about how she finally understood the whole fandom thing because when she arrived in London this week she was given the opportunity to tour the set of her favorite television series, Coronation Street. She stated that she was totally in awe as she walked around the set and that her heart was pounding in her chest every time she saw one of the actors. She went on to say that as they past the cafeteria, their guide asked her if she would like to pop in and meet the members of the cast and she once again became nervous and said no. She mentioned how Alan (her husband) popped his head inside and looked around, but she was too nervous. I wish I could express to you all the wonderful giddiness in Amanda?s voice and her exuberant expressions as she described her tour of the set. She told us how excited she was when she walked past the bakery( located on the main street of the Coronation Street set ) and in the window there was cake with a baby buggy and the name ?Olivia? written over it. How she actually touched the stones on the street and how now she understood how we all feel when we come to these conventions; however, she still doesn?t feel as if she deserves our admiration.

Someone asked her who her favorite Simpson characters were:
          She said she really liked Lisa Simpson but her favorite was Ralph Wiggums.

Amanda also made it quite apparent that she finds Johnny Depp extremely attractive, mentioning it several times during her Q&A sessions. I actually think the words 'Yummy' might have been used, though don't quote me on that as it may have been my own mind thinking it when she mentioned his name. LOL.

A fan asked Amanda what her favorite book was to which she replied that she was an avid reader and her favorite book seemed to be whatever book she was currently reading. She did say that she loved a series she was reading about Napoleon and Josephine, though I?ve forgotten the name. Hopefully someone else will remember and post it. She said there were three books in the series and it was written from Josephine?s point of view (like a journal). She commented that it was a wonderfully written that she would recommend it to everyone at the con. She also mentioned that she would love to act in a historical movie/play like this, or something like Bleak House, but said that had already been done beautifully by Gillian Anderson. She had some very nice comments about Gillian Anderson and how well she has been doing since moving to England (with plays and films).

Someone asked her who her favorite French actors/actresses were and she named a few but to be honest I was not familiar with any of them and can?t remember the names.

Someone asked her if she could look into anyone?s closet and take some clothing to wear whose would it be and after much thinking and several suggestions from the audience she responded that Elton John?s closet would be interesting with all the sequins outfits, hats and glasses to choose from.

A fan asked her what she though the top five and worst things about working with Richard Dean Anderson were:

The top five worst things about working with RDA were flatulence, flatulence, flatulence, flatulence and flatulence.

The top five best things were that he was funny, easy-going, handsome, and gave great hugs which he did on a daily basis ( sorry can't remember fifth ). She said that part of that was because he would regularly ask her to crack his back (which she did very well) and in the process she would get to hug him too.

A fan asked her what her favorite episodes were and she said she loved Grace, Resurrection, and Gemini. She said Grace was interesting to make because it was made almost entirely with second crew so it was very intimate with just a few camera people and her on the set. She enjoyed playing the duel characters in Gemini, and while she loved directing Resurrection, she also loved the added challenge that acting and directing the same show gave her.

Oh she also mentioned blue jello. In fact, she set up a little blue jello eating contest for the four members of G-4 ( the organizers of Gabit ). She brought out four glasses of blue jello and said it was contest to see who could eat the most blue jell-o in two minutes. She kept saying ?Blue Jell-o?? my favorite?but I think she meant Sam?s favorite, because later she said ?I won?t be eating any, because I?ve eaten enough blue jell-o for a lifetime. To make the contest interesting, she required that the contestants must eat it using a pair of chopsticks. The blue Jell-o because it was Sam?s favorite; and the chopsticks because Amanda loves Sushi.

Amanda shared with us a small glimpse of her ?wicked? sense of humour when she told us about a joke she played on one of the Gabit organizers ( though I can?t remember exactly which one ). I just recall Amanda saying that she threw herself on top of one of the G4?s car and scared the bejeebies out them because they had thought they had forgotten to set the brake and had actually hit her. Hopefully someone else can give a more detailed account of this story as I was fiddling with my camera at the time and missed part of the conversation.

Hopefully I can jar my memory a bit more after a nice long soak in the Jacuzzi this afternoon and that this will be enough tidbits to tide you all over until I or someone else can post more.

Kat

Edit:
          Oh forgot one another question that I thought was amusing. Someone asked her if there were any American television shows she would like to do a guest spot on and she said she would love to work on the West Wing and E.R. She mentioned several others but I'm drawing a blank.

The funny thing is she said one of the actors on E.R is a big fan of Stargates ( I believe she said he played a doctor from Croatia - so I'm assuming it's Goran Visjnic who plays Dr. Luka Kovac. Anyway she mentioned that he had done a movie with Collin Cunningham and that Collin brought him for a tour of the set. She said when Collin introduced them that they both had these big smiles on their faces and he was like..

"Hi."
          "Hi."
          "I'm a big fan of your show"
          "I'm a big fan of YOUR show".

It was pretty funny listening to her explain it. At any rate, she said she would love to work on E.R.

Awesome recount Kat!! Thank you so much for reporting.

How excited would I be if Amanda guest-starred on The West Wing???? I'm excited just thinking it could happen.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
            East side? US??? My neck of the woods?? Whereabouts??
            Eeeek! I knew someone would ask. Other people at the Con knew (quakes and hopes that is was the east side of the US) Perhaps Kat can sqeeze it out of her memory chip!!

Comment

Originally posted by flippy18
              Johnny Depp=yummyness personified!

I got back from Gabit today to discover my Mum had bought me a Johnny Depp calendar for next year

Couldn't remembed the name either, so I had a quick look and I think it may have been these ones: http://www.sandragulland.com/books/index.html

Just ordered them from Amazon anyway so I hope so!

Kat, Coley and Dips - Was lovely to meet you guys this past weekend .
              As for Amanda - always a joy I wish her all the best in whatever she chooses to do next be it on SG1, SGA or something else completely. I hope she follows her heart and does what's right for her and her family .

love+hugs to all - tho' you may not want them as 'con crud' seems to have struck me already!!
              Nice post - I have no green left

You take care and I hope the con crud passes by!

Comment

Just to clarify:

Whistler village is about 120 (?) or so kilometres outside Vancouver. I'm guess-timating that number. It takes between 1.5-2 hours to drive there.

Langley is southeast of Van, past Surrey. Takes about 45 minutes or so to get there depending on traffic.

Thanks for the clarification, Naeara. It sounds like Langley is still close enough to Vancouver so a move would not be necessary and she, and her family, can stay in Vancouver if she decides to go with Whistler.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                  East side? US??? My neck of the woods?? Whereabouts??
                  I'll second this. Where on the East Coast?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SnoggingPicard
                    Thanks for this. I guess this means that Vala will definitely be coming back for Season 10 an awful lot. Okay with me.
                    Thats what I thought - but not okay with me

Comment

Eeeek! I knew someone would ask. Other people at the Con knew (quakes and hopes that is was the east side of the US) Perhaps Kat can sqeeze it out of her memory chip!!
                      Not absolutely certain but wasn't the convention called Shore Leave?
                      http://www.shore-leave.com/
                      LizWhite.net

Comment

Right just my spout
                        had a blinking heart attack when I saw gateworld had taken our posts and posted an official news article from them.
                        I'd just like to apologise to AT if this puts her in a difficult position!!

If there is more of Vala there is no more me watching. I do not want to watch scantily dressed sex tease. I like my viewing to be more intelligent than that. seasons 1 to 6 had the exact qualities to get me hooked. Intelligent thought provoking stories, great team based cast, fantastic strong and admirable female lead. Mmmm not much of that left.
                        No offence to CB at all, but Vala is just about the worst thing a woman could be and Sam is just about the best thing. She may be fun to some and I can see why, but to me she's just another 2 bit bimbo with a bit of wit thrown in.
                        I'm totally appalled at the direction the show is being taken, totally appalled
                        Apalled at the way Amanda has been treated
                        I hope she can leave the show if she is unhappy. Lots of things for her to consider. She is better than what they are proposing for her. I for one would love to see her in other things.

I doubt I would watch SG1 if Vala was in even if Sam was in too, I feel that strongly about the way women are portrayed on tv and on sci fi shows in general
                        You have hit the nail on the head regarding vala, the direction of the show and TPTB treatment of AT. It can all be summed up in one word: APPALLING - that word fits all of these circumstances quite nicely.

Comment

Thats what I thought - but not okay with me
                          I'll be okay with it as long as they cut down the cheesy dialogue and sexual innuendos that always seem to accompany Vala...and don't shove off AT in order to keep CB a regular. Maybe that's why I'm so mad about this situation. I almost feel as though they are thinking about cutting Sam in order to accomodate Vala as a regular character. If this is the case, what is so wrong with having two female leads? Atlantis does it...

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by Caylynn
                            Yes, Whistler is a major ski resort not far from Vancouver.

Langley is also in B.C., and is south-east of Vancouver (about 30 miles on the highway from Vancouver).
                            Thanks for the info Caylynn, I appreciate it.

Comment

Caption: No, you see Merrin, this device has to be *very* powerful. It needs to detect the hearts of show business executives.
                              Attached Files

Comment

It is the creation cons she is headlining - at least that is what the thread title says in the news forum.

Are there other cons???

Comment

Working...
                                X