Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    I think one reason they don't know what to do with sam is because sam is so good. she's no throwaway bimbo like Anise, she's not doing something 'easy' like chevron dude (no offense to walter), she's not like Landry or Hammond....leaders who have been replaced and whose characters are easy to recreate and can be swapped out iwth little effort

Sam is an integral part of the show. she's been there since day one and has had an immutable effect on things

she can't be replaced or just tossed away. she can't be recast

she is one of a kind and irreplacable

THAT is why they're having issues with 'what to do with sam'

if sam was a nothing character and a throwaway, they wouldn't be having these issues
    Here's a silly idea...how about they continue to keep her on as an integral part of the show?

How about rather than decreasing her role, thereby insulting the actress, the character and the fans, they actually increase her role so that she is kind of the "new Jack" in that everyone plays off of her?

How about we see her evolve in a leadership role and butt heads with Mitchell now and then as she shows him what's what?

How about we see her getting to know Vala...have them grate on each others nerves at first (and once in awhile) but then have them all work together for the good of the team?

How about we see her put into a wide variety of situations where she doesn't immediately have the answer and has to fight her way through a problem to make things work?

How about I step away from my computer before I punch a hole in my monitor???

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Quote:
      Originally Posted by SG1Poz
      You know what I'm surpised with? It's the fact that AT brought this all out in the open. To me this means it really upset her if she really didn't think before speaking out in public, what the ramifications would be once her fans heard. Either she wants this affect and is so upset she doesn't care what happens when TPTB are leveled with letters etc. OR again, she wasn't thinking when she told the Gambiters.

I just took a peek at the Red Book and WOW! You guys did good.

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Poz

Originally posted by majorsal
      well, i think she told everybody as to warn us of what's coming up for her and her fans. i don't see anything wrong with her bringing it up. she was just telling us the truth and to be ready. (i'm not sure i know what you're really saying, poz)

sally
      I am saying that I am surprised she made this public. 'Maybe' she wanted to see the reaction of her fans to gauge her next move?

Poz

Comment

Whoaa. It's been an hour and a half since I started reading. So many posts since 2pm yesterday. I think I've finally read everything as thoroughly as possible, which is why I'm confused. There was mention of photos, and I couldn't find any.
        I want to say a HUGE thankyou to Kat and Chop (and anyone else who was huddled around the screen ) for posting reports. I'm surprised you've got any spare time! Sounds like you've all been getting on famously, and have had a super time with Amanda all weekend. You guys rock!
        I've given myself time to have a good think about my feelings on the not so great news. I've come to the conclusion that I'm actually not that phased by it. I think Amanda can do just as great a job on Atlantis as she can on SG1. In fact, so far, out of most reent eps, I think I'm liking Atlantis a lot better than SG1 storywise. I think that the style of SG1 is heading off in a very different direction from now on. Not necissarily a direction I like, but one that suits Vala and Mitchell quite fine. Sam may, in some ways, be better off on the spinoff show, which at least is retaining some of the original flavour that made Stagate, well, Stargate. And as has been sais, that's 20 eps spanned over both series, as far as we know so far.
        However (and yes, there's always a 'but'), what makes me angry is that Amanda had to get in touch with them to find this info out! I mean hey, anyone deserved more respect than that let alone an actress who's been loyal to them since I was a tiny kid! She's been on that show for such a long time, surely they could have at least had the common decency to let her know what they're doing with her. Especially as they contacted all the others so promptly about season10.
        Truth is, if Amanda wants to leave Stargate from now on, I don't have a problem with it. She's a gorgeous person, and is now a mum. She doesn't need to get stuffed around too.
        That said, if she wants to stay on Stargate, despite the way they've handled this, then I understand why. In a way, I guess you could say, she's become good friends with Sam over the years, and why would she want to leave her behind?
        My heart soared when you said she was so proud of her red book that she told the whole audience. WOW. I bet Astro would be proud. It really was in a way her big project, to put it together. I think we're all proud. Just having been a small part of it makes me feel so incredibly happy. I'm just glad the book finally got delivered to her after all the trouble astro had with the post. And the fact she actually sought you out about it at the cocktail party. She's one amazing woman. I don't think that many actresses would get so involved in their fans.
        Last edited by deepspace; 30 October 2005, 11:22 AM.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Congrats to Über on 2500 posts!
          I know you're angry and upset right now. I think we're all like that to a degree. But try to remember, we're all still here. They can remove Sam from now on, but it'll never remove her from the past. And that means, that for us, as fans, we'll always have something in common. And the fact they've treated Amanda with quite some direspect, that makes us rally together, support each other, and support Amanda. And I'm not talking like in a fancrazy way, but in a Samandan way.
          To think we've been around for almost 1000 pages. That's special. It's special because of the people here, who made those pages.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Yippee! I just found some pics of Gabit on Kat's blog. Yay . Amanda looks like she was having fun.

On what Poz and Sal were saying, I think that Amanda brought the subject of season10 up for a number of reasons. She might have felt a bit off balance after finding out herself, and maybe wanted to see what a fan reaction would be so she has a more solid idea of what she should make as her next step. Maybe she just respects her fans enough to give them a bit of prior warning so they don't get too upset at the actual time of watching season10. And perhaps she thought someone might ask the question of 'will you be in season10' and thought she'd pre-emp that by bringing the subject up herself. Whatever her reasons, I don't think it was wrong of her to tell people. Unfortunately, stuff like this spreads like wildfire on the net, especially if all people are told is that there's a problem and not what that problem is, because then crazy speculation ensues (which I have to say I'm ashamed I was a big part of. I shouldn't have overreacted like I did when it was first brought up ). However I understand why we weren't told straight away, I just don't think we should have reacted until we knew the whole story.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

*delurks*

Hi there...just delurking to add my two cents...

I'm not surprised at all by this latest move by TPTB, although I am surprised about AT talking about it.

I think the way TPTB appear to be treating Amanda is downright insulting, and I hope she declines this offer. Amanda IMO, is too good for the 'new, shiny and improved' SG1...and while I'd love to see her guest on Atlantis...if she becomes a recurring character there...it'll be to the detriment of the other characters, and I don't think anyone wants that (besides TPTB)

The main reason I started watching SG1 was the Jack/Daniel dynamic, but Sam's grown on me so much and to me she is the one familiar and original part of the show that's left. I've already stopped watching SG1, but if she leaves, I may pack in Stargate altogether.

*goes back to lurking*
              sigpic
              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Is it confirmed that Amanda wont be in season 10?
                I hope she stay, i love Carter!!!

Comment

Great post minigeek

Caty

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
                    Sorry guys . I may have missed the link for the red book to download !!! Where is it again?!!

Many thanks

Caty
                    Here you go, all 12 MB of it.

http://home.comcast.net/~1annex/SaGCCollectionforAT.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                      *delurks*

Hi there...just delurking to add my two cents...

I'm not surprised at all by this latest move by TPTB, although I am surprised about AT talking about it.

I think the way TPTB appear to be treating Amanda is downright insulting, and I hope she declines this offer. Amanda IMO, is too good for the 'new, shiny and improved' SG1...and while I'd love to see her guest on Atlantis...if she becomes a recurring character there...it'll be to the detriment of the other characters, and I don't think anyone wants that (besides TPTB)

The main reason I started watching SG1 was the Jack/Daniel dynamic, but Sam's grown on me so much and to me she is the one familiar and original part of the show that's left. I've already stopped watching SG1, but if she leaves, I may pack in Stargate altogether.

*goes back to lurking*

You know what !!! I forgot to watch Stargate Atlantis tonight and nearly forgot to watch SG1 last Tuesday hehehehehe ..what about that when I would never ever have missed an episode last year

Caty

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31

Thank you SamFan31

PS :I read the first 50 pages AND you all did a great job Congrats to all of you ..Love all the graphics, pics and the Sam quotes

Caty
                        Last edited by Catysg1; 30 October 2005, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Okay, I haven't read this entire thread but...are they dumping Carter???

I'll preface this--I'm a fan of Vala and Claudia Black (bigtime) but one of the things I want/wanted to see in season 10 was Vala/Carter. Amanda Tapping and Claudia Black, from what I've read, have a mutual like and respect for each other.

What-can't SG1 have more than one "girl" at a time. Farscape managed it. Firefly managed it. Battlestar Galactica manages it. Sometimes, writers, new stuff comes out of an "old" character when you pair that old character with a new one who's its exact opposite. Gee...what'dya know?

Anyway, I'll have to read the thread now.

Comment

Oops...I missed SGA too...oh well...

If AT ends up on the better show (SGA) maybe we'll watch.

...But I think that's the whole plan...trust TPTB to concieve such a poorly disguised plot. I hope it backfires so that AT is more popular than ever.
                            sigpic
                            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Hi all, just adding to the thread to help you get the 1000 pages/20000 posts
                              While I am not a "Samandan" I do like Sam and IMO she should have been the leader after Jack did his exit stage left. That being said, I can't picture her on Atlantis. There is no hole to fill. And don't throw things at me for saying this, but I prefer the Sheppard/McKay banter rather than the Carter/McKay one
                              As soon as I get control of my bigger puter (tomorrow) I'll download the red book

Comment

Wow, how neat is that? Naughtrish, esoap524, and sooo many others out there who've come from all the other walks of Stargate fandom to support Sam - you guys rock

Hey, maybe we will make 1000 pages this weekend - it's still Sunday in this part of the globe!

mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Working...
                                X