Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What is going on???

    I go away for an evening, and suddenly AT might not be back???

    I know I'm the poster girl for defending TPTB, but WHAT THE HELL!!

    FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!! HOW CAN YOU DO THAT TO SUCH A GREAT INSPIRATIONAL LADY!

    OMG. THis is quite simply, devastating.

    Comment


      can't help it need pix to smile and be positive....

      This one is hott too...


      Now this is where i can listen to her read the phone book...


      So happy Amanda...
      Stargate Pants Girl
      (a.k.a. Teryl's Pants Girl)
      Mak tal shree! Lo tak meta satak Oz!

      Comment


        Originally posted by crazedturkey
        What is going on???

        I go away for an evening, and suddenly AT might not be back???

        I know I'm the poster girl for defending TPTB, but WHAT THE HELL!!

        FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!! HOW CAN YOU DO THAT TO SUCH A GREAT INSPIRATIONAL LADY!

        OMG. THis is quite simply, devastating.
        That's the thing with breaking news; tends to break fast. You may have some catching up to do, but in general we're trying to stay on the positive side. ALL the facts aren't in yet, so there is the possibility some of what we've heard may change. Then again, others have a different slant but haven't reported in yet. Totally agree with your description of AT.

        Just sayin', poster girl for defending TPTB, hmm? You might want to give it a minute around here! Glad you popped in, crazedturkey.
        MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
        sigpic
        Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking



        Comment


          Samandans and guests, gotta take a break or I'll break my head on my keyboard. Please de-lurk; we still have a shot at 1000 pages, but even close counts!

          Love to hear from our guests on why you like AT/SC. Though the "news" is on everyone's fron, hope you can do like Boobala (post pics) or many others who expressed their love of her Sam's character. What your fave episodes, scenes or lines were. This is hte time and the place to do it!

          Just sayin', I'm crashing, see you and your friendly posts in a few. Thanks all who arrive while I'm away, and to all Samandans still awake and keeping it real for Amanda. Night.

          P.S. Any typos are due to eyes crossed from lack of sleepppppppp
          MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
          sigpic
          Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking



          Comment


            Need to try and catch some shut eye myself if i can after this but staying positive...

            couple of more pictures before i go thou...

            It's Amanda's world...


            Like the outfit...


            Ignore Danny, look at Amanda's smile. Love to see that every day...
            Stargate Pants Girl
            (a.k.a. Teryl's Pants Girl)
            Mak tal shree! Lo tak meta satak Oz!

            Comment


              I've almost never posted in this thread before but I really wanted to say something about the news from GABIT...
              I didn't have the time (and courage !) to read all the posts since last night so I don't know how you all Samandans are feeling about it. I've just seen that you were trying to stay positive which is good. So I'll try to stay moderate in what I have to say.

              First, I'd like you to know that I love Sam. She and Jack are my favourite characters in SG1.
              But as much as I like her... I don't want to see her in Atlantis. At all. Let me explain...

              SGA is now my favourite show and I want it to have a life by itself. I don't want SGA to only be the 'kid sister' of the big big show that is SG1.
              Sam is a character of SG1. One of the most important characters (and she should have been the biggest one in S9 but that's another topic...). SG1 has its own stories, its own 'mythology', its bad guys and good guys.
              Ditto for SGA.
              So let them be 2 different and separate shows please. SG1 had 9 seasons (and is now going to have a 10th), so let SGA have its chance to become a show as big as SG1.

              I don't think it would help SGA to have Sam... and I don't think it would be nice for Sam to be in SGA and SG1 at the same time. We'd have to wonder each week : "So where's Sam now ? On Earth ? In Atlantis ? Who's leading the SG1 team ?" (well, we know the answer to that question... )
              And what would be Sam's place in Atlantis ? IMO each character has its own place and role in Atlantis. We have the 2 leaders (one civil and one military), the scientist, the warriors, the doctor... What would Sam do ? Leading another team ? We don't need that, we already have one team that works well together.
              Leading the science department ? But why couldn't she do that in the SGC ?

              No, really I can't understand the reason why they're doing that...
              Last edited by florence; 30 October 2005, 02:55 AM.
              Flo ~ FBI - Proud Shep Thunker - Proud member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team !

              Comment


                I don't know if it is the late hour, hormonal surges, or simply the appalling mistreatment of a fine person and actress, but I am forced out of my vicarious lurking (I get most of my information from another frequent poster) and sit here with tears streaming down my face.

                I have loved the Sam character from the beginning, despite some of the rather dumb early stories. I have flinched when they did things with her character that seemed incredibly out of character, and rejoiced when they wrote for the true depth of Sam. TPTB have done some really weird and outrageous things in the past with the character Sam, but to do this now to the strong and lovely human being Amanda is just beyond belief. If they truely can't see Sam fitting into the Stargate SG-1 universe, then that universe is imploding and being sucked into a black hole (Sam could explain how so that even I could understand it).

                I haven't read all the posts yet on this or other forums, but I was glad to read here that even most of those who dislike Sam seem to think this is wrong. Those few who are probably happily dancing on her presumptive grave, well...they probably eat their young so can be dismissed from any reasonable discussion.

                I am hoping and praying that TPTB will come to their senses and give Amanda not only darn good reasons for why they have treated her so abominably, but also restore her dignity by creating an even more powerful position for her than I can think of right now in my despair.

                Comment


                  Hi Everyone, long time no see....

                  This news is a real shocker for me, as much as i would like to see sam on atlantis (by that i mean a one time thing, possibly now and then at most) i want her to be on SG1 as a main character. She is a Main Character, having her be on 10 eps of each show would mean as a recurring character, which is degrading for both actress and character and it's not what they deserve.

                  After being on cloud nine hearing Stargate is coming back for more seasons this has sent me to netu. I hate to be negative but... How in the Blue Hell can they not know what to do with her character! That's just a joke.

                  Atlantis is doing fine without Sam, SG1 was doing okay, but not nearly as good as it is with her, why can they (whoever "They" are) not see that.

                  IT DEFIES ALL LOGIC

                  After not posting in ages this is the end to what is perhaps my most negative post ever (which im sorry for, but can't help it).

                  Comment


                    I've never posted here before either, though I have visited.
                    Firstly I want to say I've watched SG1 since the beginning, and though SGA is my favourite of the two Stargate shows, I've always loved Sam, and she's my favourite female character from the Stargate universe, and always has been.
                    I read the comments from GABIT with horror for two reasons. Firstly and rather selfishly, I love SGA the way it is, and feel with such a big cast already there, it is difficult to service all the characters already, without the addition of yet another character, (as lovely as AT/SC are!). Secondly as an AT fan, I feel so disappointed for the actress herself. To find out the way she did is unforgiveable, and heartless.
                    I would hate for such a wonderful character to be spread between 2 shows, it won't work and is a great dis-service to the character, in my opinion.
                    Lastly, I'm so upset for AT/SC fans, I know how I would feel if this happened to my favourite SGA character. I hope TPTB see sense, and have Carter where she truly belongs, SG1.
                    Congratulations on being so calm and rational about such a potentially upsetting topic. It's nice to see fans being so mature.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      Linzi and florence - Welcome, we always like to hear from fans of Sam

                      And I totally understand where you're coming from too. The last think I want is for the writers to usurp another character on Atlantis with Sam. Alot of people have had issues with writers doing that with Mitchell on SG1, and I have a feeling it'd be the same thing on Atlantis. I like Atlantis perfectly fine as it is (that's not to say Carter would make it better or worse, just that I like how Atlantis works atm)
                      But there is a shallow part of me that says that if Sam doesn't have a place on SG1 anymore (which I think is an absurd thing to say), then I'd be happy if I got to see her in Atlantis.

                      And ((((mahinasmama)))). I'm sure there'll be plenty of great stuff about Amanda to come out of her con

                      Comment


                        I can't stay for long. I just popped in for a moment to say "HI" and to post a few more photos from this mornings Q&A. Unfortunately I didn't get too many today. I pretty much give up taking photos after the lights dim (which is about 3 mins into the Q&A ). I find I spend way too much trying to get a good photo that I miss a lot of what Amanda is saying.

                        I also thought you should all know that today during the Q&A, Chopin Gal asked Amanda a question (it was a personal question), but she mentioned at the beginning that she was from Samanda and Amanda's reaction was wonderful. She actually told everyone at the con about Gateworld's Sam is a Great Character thread and went on about the book she had recieved from us.

                        Seeing as it's Chopin Gal's story, I really don't want to say too much, but it was so wonderful to know that she really loved the book and how much it meant to her. CG will hopefully be up here this afternoon to post her comments. I'm not positive, but I think at the moment she is doing the autograph signing with Amanda.

                        The Q&A really hasn't really delved into the Sam character much. Most of the questions being asked are rather personal, things like how Amanda draws motivates herself during very emotional scenes such as the death scene with Jacob in Threads. With this con being in Europe it is very difficult to really ask any questions regarding the future, as so many people here have only seen the first three episodes of Stargate and many have not even seen season eight yet. Someone did ask her what her favorite episode this season was, and she said it would have to be Ripple Effect. That she was very happy to have some old friends back and she was just as sad to see them leave again.

                        I'll really try to sit down later today and think of all the different questions everyone asked and her answers. However, many of the best parts of the Q&A were just Amanda simply being herself and chatting.

                        Kat

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by ForeverSg1

                          I also thought you should all know that today during the Q&A, Chopin Gal asked Amanda a question (it was a personal question), but she mentioned at the beginning that she was from Samanda and Amanda's reaction was wonderful. She actually told everyone at the con about Gateworld's Sam is a Great Character thread and went on about the book she had recieved from us.

                          Seeing as it's Chopin Gal's story, I really don't want to say too much, but it was so wonderful to know that she really loved the book and how much it meant to her. CG will hopefully be up here this afternoon to post her comments. I'm not positive, but I think at the moment she is doing the autograph signing with Amanda.
                          Oh wow! That's so cool Can't wait to hear from ChopinGal!!!

                          And I'm looking forward to your report too of course!
                          Last edited by Agent_Dark; 30 October 2005, 04:19 AM.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                            Another possibility is the fact that Sam clearly is the leader of the team, regardless of what Mitchell says or does. She just exudes leadership and authority and he exudes immaturity and awkwardness. We can't have our bright and shiny new toy look bad next to HER, now can we?

                            Of course, the way they could have solved both those issues was to make her the team leader for real. She'd have TONS of non-ship related storylines and Mitchell would fit right because he'd be the new guy learning from Sam.
                            I definitely do not think this is mindless speculation, Über. I think you are right on target and sony/mgm/skiffy/bridge just DO NOT GET IT because of their irrational fear of a woman in the lead and their oh so last century need for a male lead. Here is one of the posts I made at Mallozzi's blog:

                            QUOTING ABOVE POST: "See that's the thing, that comment just above this one. No matter what you say, no matter what you write, no matter how "happy" anyone is going to look or sound, there's nothing that will make this look like anything but you guys kicking Carter off of SG-1. Nothing. And I hope that's not what you're trying to do."

                            Posted by Binkpmmc - I have to respond to this with my opinion on it - yes that is what they (sony/mgm/skiffy/bridge?) are trying to do. Thus far Mitchell serves no purpose - Carter clearly runs circles around him when it comes to command, she is a threat to his being the male lead. SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE at TPTB level feels the need to have the MALE lead nonesense so they have to remove the threat to Mitchell, the one thing that continues to make him look useless, ergo ship Carter off to SGA for half the season while diminishing her role on SG1 and voila Mitchell can appear useful and competent while fullfilling the male lead nonesense.

                            The fact that Cooper admits to AT that they "don't know what to do with" a longstanding, core, integral character who has helped to keep this show afloat for 9 years is appalling and just goes to show that she cannot be the leader because it has to be the male lead so what do they do with her? She shows the supposed male lead up because she is more qualified, better prepared, more competent off-world, etc., and a very large portion of the fans don't accept Mitchell as leader or co-leader as long as she is around, so they remove the problem.



                            Are they trying to make me resent Mitchell and Vala? Because they're doing a fantastic job right now in accomplishing this very thing.
                            Once again, I agree. This will only serve to further aggrevate the fans who already think Mitchell serves no purpose and it will also, IMO, create more, and different, bad feelings towards vala (and perhaps could also bleed into resentment of both BB and CB since they can be seen as displacing a core, main lead character that is loved by many fans, has a huge fanbase and is a longstanding solid staple of the show, and is one of the main reasons many of the fans still watch).

                            I really smell some behind the scenes studio stuff here...people who neither know about nor care about the real history of the show and want things this way or that way to appease a certain demographic, whatever that demographic may be (apparently the demographic they're aiming to please is not that of longtime SG-1 fans).
                            Yup - nail on head you know. Sony and whoever else is making these ridiculous decisions really need to remove their heads from their butts and IMO, the boys at bridge need to start standing up for the actors they have sweated with for so many years, and for the show, and characters, they helped make successsful for 8 years, before sony's, or whoever's boneheaded ideas, drag it all the way to the gutter and then to cancellation because with this type of crap they are well on their way. Before this I really thought my opinion of cooper could not have been lower - well he continues to surprise even me with the depths he will sink to . . . .

                            Comment


                              I don't know what to say. I'm really angry and frustrated with the latest news. So angry that I needed to go off line to calm down, and I'm not even sure I succeeded.
                              I agree that we have to stay respectful and kind if only to honor the kindness of Amanda. She's such an amazing person, I can't believe how bad she's been treated. I hope the Samandans in GABIT can give us more news. I'd really like to know how she feels about the whole situation. But if I can extrapolate from her comment to the fans, telling them that they didn't seem upset, I'd guess she's upset.
                              Besides, I don't want to see Sam in Atlantis and it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm not very fond of Atlantis. The cast on Atlantis is already a huge one. They already had trouble with it and removed one of the main characters after the first season. They already have something like the ultimate collection of geekdom. They don't need another scientist, even if said scientist is Sam. I fear that if they bring her to Atlantis it will be at the cost of one of the actual main characters. That's bad. And I really don't think Amanda would be comfortable with this idea.
                              Sam, the unique and wonderful character she brought to life, belongs to SG1. She's the natural leader of the team now that Jack is gone. TPTB don't know what to do with the character. Tell me they're joking. They create a new enemy, one who can master and build a giant gate and they don't know what to do with the Earth gate expert ! Again, tell me they're joking. They have an experienced officer, actually the most experienced one in the SGC, because she has not only eight years of gate travel behind her but also two years of studying the gate and they don't know what to do with the character !
                              OK, I'm not going further, I want to stick to our kindness motto, but it's rather hard today.
                              On the positive side, it's wonderful to hear from our fellow Samandans in GABIT and I'm really glad for them. They can apreciate how kind and wonderful Amanda is. And I'm delighted that she got the SaGC Collection and spoke of our little kingdom.
                              I'm off searching for caps of our Queen. Let's show everyone how great and amazing Amanda and Sam are.

                              (((((((((Samandans)))))))))

                              ((((((Amanda))))))
                              Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit


                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Lys
                                I don't know what to say. I'm really angry and frustrated with the latest news. So angry that I needed to go off line to calm down, and I'm not even sure I succeeded.
                                I agree that we have to stay respectful and kind if only to honor the kindness of Amanda. She's such an amazing person, I can't believe how bad she's been treated. I hope the Samandans in GABIT can give us more news. I'd really like to know how she feels about the whole situation. But if I can extrapolate from her comment to the fans, telling them that they didn't seem upset, I'd guess she's upset.
                                Besides, I don't want to see Sam in Atlantis and it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm not very fond of Atlantis. The cast on Atlantis is already a huge one. They already had trouble with it and removed one of the main characters after the first season. They already have something like the ultimate collection of geekdom. They don't need another scientist, even if said scientist is Sam. I fear that if they bring her to Atlantis it will be at the cost of one of the actual main characters. That's bad. And I really don't think Amanda would be comfortable with this idea.
                                Sam, the unique and wonderful character she brought to life, belongs to SG1. She's the natural leader of the team now that Jack is gone. TPTB don't know what to do with the character. Tell me they're joking. They create a new enemy, one who can master and build a giant gate and they don't know what to do with the Earth gate expert ! Again, tell me they're joking. They have an experienced officer, actually the most experienced one in the SGC, because she has not only eight years of gate travel behind her but also two years of studying the gate and they don't know what to do with the character !
                                OK, I'm not going further, I want to stick to our kindness motto, but it's rather hard today.
                                On the positive side, it's wonderful to hear from our fellow Samandans in GABIT and I'm really glad for them. They can apreciate how kind and wonderful Amanda is. And I'm delighted that she got the SaGC Collection and spoke of our little kingdom.
                                I'm off searching for caps of our Queen. Let's show everyone how great and amazing Amanda and Sam are.

                                (((((((((Samandans)))))))))

                                ((((((Amanda))))))
                                The "we don't know what to do with the character" argument is just a load of bull, especially on a sci-fi show. It's little more than a bad attempt at justifiation for the reduction in her status ro recurring (at best).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X