No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kat and Kir_fect - the banners are awesome - thanks for sharing them!!

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
      Ok I just got my dvd boxset of season 2 of SGA...and the first thing I did was watch the audiocommentary of Grace under pressure and make some screencaps so...I thought since I already made a summary for myself, lets just also post it here with also some screencaps... Btw all what is written down can be missinterpreted by me and the language barriere... But I did quote all of Amanda literalarly...
      All I just can say is I so love audiocommentaries if they are more then just j/k around...if they are the 2 they are great and that was the case with this audiocommentary

Spoiler:
      Audiocommentary Grace under Pressure :
      With Marting Wood, Martin Gero, Amanda Tapping and David Hewlet

* In the beginning Amanda says Yippie…what is totally adorable.

* It was supposed to be a season 1 episode. MG watched over 100 episodes of SG-1 during the break of season 1 of Atlantis. Where Amanda says: ‘I am so sorry’ (very funny if you ask me) And after they watched Descent they decided to make GuP, cause they owned all the material already.

* While they give away a spoiler of the ep itself. Cause well lets face it everyone already has seen the ep if they listen to the commentary. Amanda reacts on a way only she can with: ‘Oh man’

* It was filmed in 3 different jumpers.

* they found it a very exciting episode that goes on and on. The only problem they had was for 2 acts they only had David in the back of a jumper.

* There were 2 ways how they filmed the death of the pilot. Also the lightening of the beginning when McKay is in the back of the jumper is with only flashlight and the tablet McKay is holding. They made it very claustrophobic cause they have the camera that close on David. The camera is only 5 inches away from him.

* It was supposed to be an underbudged episode. And while joking they said Amanda showed up. Where Amanda replies: ‘asking for scale’. And they all laugh. For cutting the budget they did a lot of long shots with the jumper falling in the water. To cut the special effect. In fact there are only a few of shots of the jumper falling in the water. They are just 15 seconds long.

* They talk about the fact that Grace is the SG-1 episode equivalent of GuP. And that not a lot of actors can play only with themselves. Where Amanda says to David that it is a gift. The way she says it is very funny. David did a lot of act 1 and 2 in single takes to save money. They also only shot 5 days. They also used a lot of camera’s to get different angles, what made it hard to edit.

* The episode was 6 minutes over, normally that is good cause they can cut it easily. But in episodes like this it is really difficult. So they deleted some scene’s with David and they really had to be creative about it. There used to be a scene where McKay is going insane, but due to time it wasn’t in it anymore.

* Amanda says about David: ‘ This is a great performance David. It is a really nice arc throughout the whole thing for you.’

* They use a lot of jump cutting to show that McKay is dreaming. It is cut shot to shot to show what is happening to his brain. It is something stylistically they don’t normally do on the show.

* When they are on Atlantis and all the sparks are behind Torri and Joe, it is something they don’t like doing cause the actors have to go to the soundstage to speak in what they were saying. But they thought it was worth it cause it is a visual piece. And it is necessary to see all the activity to see that they are pushing forward… To show they are going to save him.

* funny thing about the whale: it was put in out of desperation. And then it started solving all of these problems. It was like one of these divine interventions. And according to Amanda: ‘It is an ocean, there are whales.

* the wire on the sealing made it hard to cut. But when the jumper is moving…It is actually not moving but has everything to do with the camera and David moves the wires

* David thinks that these are dream roles cause you got so much to say. And then he thinks about that he has to learn it all. And Amanda replies: ‘Then you have a lot to do, but it is exciting’

* The reveal of Sam had to look like nothing magic has happened, and that it is just inside his head. That is why they showed a lot of the back. To show no one is there and then of course Amanda comes to the back.
      Amanda: ‘a lot of people have issues with the colour’ Cause it is so different then everything in there, and that was the point. Amanda: ‘ I didn’t choose this colour by the by, this was Christina mc Cory.(sp?) I think it is brilliant because it is so not what Carter would normally wear. But what McKay might see her and it is a complete brightness in this dark dark puddle jumper. And I think it adds a little bounce, what is nice.’

* Amanda wasn’t going to be Carter Carter but McKay Carter. At the moment Carter comes in MG found it easier to write. He also didn’t know if Carter would say some of the stuff she said but since she was McKay Carter some of the things she would have said. The 2 characters bounce of each other. They have such a great chemistry. When Carter says: ‘do you know what you are doing’ the perspective changes cause it is not only McKay anymore. It is all about what is in McKay his head.

* The whale cut out was very funny. Amanda replies: ‘Oh yeaaaah.’ They always new it was going to cut out. It was actually a finding Nemo thing. Here they say what it was supposed to be.
      Carter: ‘I speak Whale.’
      McKay: ‘You do?’
      And Carter stands up toward the camera and she says: (in that finding Nemo type of way)‘Heeey goooo geeet heeeelp’
      Amanda says: ‘I can’t remember how I did it’ but everyone found it very funny. And David his reaction was so classic, it was like a non-reaction.

* Amanda says: ‘Can I say that I was very nervous to shoot this episode?’ ‘ It was a different approach to Carter which I really liked. But I was back on set with Martin. I hasn’t worked with you in a while, and I was working with David, who I hadn’t worked with in a long time. And I was working with the Atlantis crew and I didn’t know all of them. And I wanted to make a good impression. And I was really, really nervous.’
      Then they reply that it sure didn’t show up and that it is great

* David talks about Amanda having a baby. Amanda says: ‘ She was about 4 months old, 5 months old.’ When they shot GuP

*When the puddle jumper hits the ground they love it that Carter doesn’t fall, cause she isn’t affected but it cause she isn’t real.

* From this moment on they are in a second jumper… the wet jumper. This shot this in a giant tank of water that was in a huge hangar. And the echo was insane. Sharp Sound cleaned that up so nice that they didn’t have to go into a sound stage. They lower the puddle jumper in the water. They did heated the pool.
      Amanda (or Sam) had to stay dry until she did her wild stuff cause it was impossible to stay dry when you got to that level.

* This was the hardest show to mix (sound effects wise) because they didn’t know how the things sounded and every single sound was new.

* When McKay blames himself, they love the way Amanda reacts, the non-reaction to what is going on.

* The shooting was simple. It was all about the performance. Amanda says: ‘It was a nice change of pace’

* They put Amanda in the water now cause it was to hard to keep her dry and they did it all in one shot. And it was the first scene MG thought about when they heard McKay and would hallucinate Carter she could not have her top on. Amanda says: ‘ Well, I think I look like a woman who just had a baby.’
      And they have been getting strange and awkward thank you letters from fans.
      They did have a costume Amanda was going to wear. Amanda says:’ Christina McQuarrie built a great sort of wet suit costume’ But when it got wet it turned into papier-mâché and really weird. And then Amanda said she had a really great blue bra and it was a fluke she got that. And it looked great.
      And the only time Carter would be interested in McKay is when she would trick him, cause there is no way she would actually like him, unless she was up to something.

* About the water stuff and about how much fun it is Amanda says: ‘I did too, it was quite fun’ Amanda and David didn’t get out of the water tank for most of the day. Amanda on the question what is that like: ‘Prune-y’ ‘I had to get out to feed the baby, that was the hard part. Because I had a wet suit on. I had to get out to feed.’

* The end of the ep was the trickiest part. To try to figure out how to get this to work. They also wanted to let Carter disappear but they did the close the door thing in the end.

some screencaps...klick on it to make it bigger...
      Spoiler:

Green although I didn't like 1 screencap. I thought you were a S/J shipper. Didn't actually like the episode. Think of it of a preview for Sodney next season!!!

Comment

Originally posted by petemoretti View Post
        Green although I didn't like 1 screencap. I thought you were a S/J shipper. Didn't actually like the episode. Think of it of a preview for Sodney next season!!!
        Just because someone is a S/J shipper, doesn't mean they can't enjoy other episodes. Sam is more than just attached to Jack's hip, and if you watched that episode you would know that Sam was a figment of Rodney's imagination.

There are many Sam/ Amanda fans on this thread, that enjoy all types of caps posted here
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
          Just because someone is a S/J shipper, doesn't mean they can't enjoy other episodes. Sam is more than just attached to Jack's hip, and if you watched that episode you would know that Sam was a figment of Rodney's imagination.

There are many Sam/ Amanda fans on this thread, that enjoy all types of caps posted here
          I actually enjoyed most of the episode (better than "Grace" which I only saw once, whereas I watched "GUP" several times) except for the part where Sam gets very OOC. IMHO it was a test to see fans reaction to porting AT/Sam to Atlantis (which already happenned) and the future Sodney (which might happen in the near future)

Comment

Excuse me?!? Since when can I only be a S/J and not be anything else... I think I make it clear that I in the first place am a Sam/Amanda fan...Yes I do like S/J but I do love Amanda too...And I must say I like her with Rodney too...There is something there, not in a shippy way but more in a funny kind of way.
            I don't think next year will be Sodney (I take it that is what Sam and Rodney stands for). I think that there will be some Sam and Rodney moments in it. But there will be much more in it.

And honestly the ep was great!!! if you ask me. And Amanda was amazing in it. And sorry that you didn't like the kiss but I found it nice to see...

And if that makes me a bad shipper...So be it. Cause I always say I am first an Amanda/Sam fan and then a shipper. And lets face it I am also not the greatest shipper that is out there ;-) Cause I did like the Sam/Pete thing too... I just don't see Sam being alone. And true I think that Jack is the man she loves I also love to see her with other men.
            And not only men

I love the Sam/Janet dynamic...and in FF I love them together in more then friendship kind of way

Comment

I actually enjoyed most of the episode (better than "Grace" which I only saw once, whereas I watched "GUP" several times) except for the part where Sam gets very OOC. IMHO it was a test to see fans raction to porting AT/Sam to Atlantis (which already happenned) and the future Sodney (which might happen in the near future)
              Well I think MG and MW explained that very good that it wasn't OOC...Since it wasn't real. it wasn't Carter. It was a hallucination of McKay. And I think it was really normal. I really think McKay sees (or wants to see) Carter in that way...so nothing OOC there.
              And I don't think it was a test. If you had read the audiocommentary a bit closer you should have read this already. But it was supposed to be a season 1 ep so...and honestly I don't think they knew then that Sam would be in season 4 of SGA... And I don't think Rodney and Sam have a real future expect for some fantasies of Rodney...and some annoying looks of Sam

I think re-read the audiocommentary again and then take your conclusion...Cause if you ask me these conclusions you get here are based on things that aren't true...and got explained in them.

Or maybe my summary is just that bad eh...could be it too though lol.

Comment

Well I think MG and MW explained that very good that it wasn't OOC...Since it wasn't real. it wasn't Carter. It was a hallucination of McKay. And I think it was really normal. I really think McKay sees (or wants to see) Carter in that way...so nothing OOC there.
                And I don't think it was a test. If you had read the audiocommentary a bit closer you should have read this already. But it was supposed to be a season 1 ep so...and honestly I don't think they knew then that Sam would be in season 4 of SGA... And I don't think Rodney and Sam have a real future expect for some fantasies of Rodney...and some annoying looks of Sam

I think re-read the audiocommentary again and then take your conclusion...Cause if you ask me these conclusions you get here are based on things that aren't true...and got explained in them.

Or maybe my summary is just that bad eh...could be it too though lol.
                That's not quite true. TPTBs themselves told us they've been thinking for a while bringing Carter over to Atlantis and I have a feeling that should SG-1 ended after S8 they would have brought Carter to Atlantis in S2 (recurring) and S3 (regular as she is now in S4).
                BTW Don't get angry I actually greened you for the report and the other caps 'cause I don't mind wet AT/Sam, but I do HATE SODNEY. And yes I would rather see Sam alone than settle for something less than she deserves...

Comment

Eve, hun, it's okay. You are a wonderful Samandan. And that was a wonderful summary of the audio. You get green from me. You don't have to defend your ship either. You are a truly scrumptious shipper .
                  I love GUP. It doesn't make me cringe at all. I have never thrown my hands up in the air crying woe LoL, because she's not OOC she's an hallucination. I'm not going to go into Rodney and Sam ship because I am having visions of noodles (even though they are my dinner) and I don't know if we can talk about it without a war breaking out. I agree with you, GUP was no test, it aired looonnnnggg before SG1 was cancelled, so I really don't believe that tptb were playing evil underhanded games, trying to get a rise out of others. Eve, you did a great job, I have snurched all your screencaps and my only grumble is that ya didn't make more c'mon you know how lax I am.
                  sigpic

Comment

That's not quite true. TPTBs themselves told us they've been thinking for a while bringing Carter over to Atlantis and I have a feeling that should SG-1 ended after S8 they would have brought Carter to Atlantis in S2 (recurring) and S3 (regular as she is now in S4).
                    BTW Don't get angry I actually greened you for the report and the other caps 'cause I don't mind wet AT/Sam, but I do HATE SODNEY. And yes I would rather see Sam alone than settle for something less than she deserves...
                    I am not angry...If I would be angry you would know I just don't think you are right with your assumptions so I just want to show you my point of view...if you don't like it just don't read it

Yaeh the PTB were thinking about a way to get Sam into SGA but I think they didn't have any idea back then how to do it...Really I can not see that. I mean if they knew in advance from season 2 that Sam would be in season 4 of SGA...then they are great for looking in the future.

And as much as I agree on the fact that they should have ended SG-1 at season 8...I still don't think she had to be a reacurring role on SGA then. Cause I think that at that time there wasn't a good reason to bring her to SGA. Now for season 4 there is... Although it has some flaws in it. I think it is a good thing Sam goes to SGA...

And I must say I do enjoy Rodney and Sam...Cause it is so unreal. I don't see that being a treat for Sam/Jack in anyway...but like I said I am not really a shipper...I just do like Sam/Jack together very much. I just don't want to see Sam alone cause she doesn't deserve that... She is someone who must get to know love in her life... and to me also Pete did that...He loved her with all his heart...Only Sam knew she didn't love him as much as Pete did love her...
                    (but that is something for the ship thread )

EDIT TO MEGYN: I have much much much more...I made about 100 caps...If you want some more just ask them or come on yim...I am so not going to upload them all

Comment

Ok I just got my dvd boxset of season 2 of SGA...and the first thing I did was watch the audiocommentary of Grace under pressure and make some screencaps so...I thought since I already made a summary for myself, lets just also post it here with also some screencaps... Btw all what is written down can be missinterpreted by me and the language barriere... But I did quote all of Amanda literalarly...
                      All I just can say is I so love audiocommentaries if they are more then just j/k around...if they are the 2 they are great and that was the case with this audiocommentary
                      Must. Buy. Atlantis S2. Next. Week.

Thanks for posting this RepliCartertje! Very cool!

Loved the Finding Nemo bit immensely.

ETA: Thanks for the screencaps, Jen!

ETA2: And Eve, was there a featurette for that episode?
                      Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 28 February 2007, 10:40 AM.

Comment

One of the biggest reasons that S/J shippers get flak from anti-shippers/noromo-whatchama-callit (seriously what do you call it? )/ is that we cannot seperate Sam from the ship. I will always maintain that it's a part of her, but I will never state that it's the be all and end all. General disclaimer - am not saying anyone has said that here. But we are massively defensive of our ship regardless. Even if SG1 had ended at Moebius, and tptb had planned to move Sam to Atlantis in time for S2, I in no way believe that it would be to ship her with somebody else. I will always believe that Jack is an important part of Sam's life, and it would just have come off false after "Threads". That aside, it would have been a massive insult to the character of Sam Carter. It would pretty much have cemented the fact that tptb can't write for Carter without associating her as part of a ship. Which is cheese and baloney because look what an amazing actress they have to work with. And I do believe that McKay is getting better... at least a little LoL.

Golly I had a point to this, but it totally eludes me now. Gah. Maybe this comes off as fence sitting or toe-ing a line, it's very difficult for me to shove the PengYn in me out the way, but I do like to examine all the angles.

*Mandy & JanSam, wherever you are, you have no influence over me... but I do enjoy your attempts
                        sigpic

Comment

Spazzy: nope not a featurette on the ep...well not on the disc of GuP could be on the other disc though but I only checked out the disc of GuP and now I am going to watch the other eps...but Sam always comes first eh

Comment

*slides in*

Okay, I'm just in to drop off my second chapter to my Sam fic

Broken 2

Enjoy and let me know what you think.

*slowly backs out*

Wendy
                            Hugs
                            sigpic
                            Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Audiocommentary Grace under Pressure :
                              With Marting Wood, Martin Gero, Amanda Tapping and David Hewlet

* In the beginning Amanda says Yippie…what is totally adorable.

* It was supposed to be a season 1 episode. MG watched over 100 episodes of SG-1 during the break of season 1 of Atlantis. Where Amanda says: ‘I am so sorry’ (very funny if you ask me) And after they watched Descent they decided to make GuP, cause they owned all the material already.

* While they give away a spoiler of the ep itself. Cause well lets face it everyone already has seen the ep if they listen to the commentary. Amanda reacts on a way only she can with: ‘Oh man’

* It was filmed in 3 different jumpers.

* they found it a very exciting episode that goes on and on. The only problem they had was for 2 acts they only had David in the back of a jumper.

* There were 2 ways how they filmed the death of the pilot. Also the lightening of the beginning when McKay is in the back of the jumper is with only flashlight and the tablet McKay is holding. They made it very claustrophobic cause they have the camera that close on David. The camera is only 5 inches away from him.

* It was supposed to be an underbudged episode. And while joking they said Amanda showed up. Where Amanda replies: ‘asking for scale’. And they all laugh. For cutting the budget they did a lot of long shots with the jumper falling in the water. To cut the special effect. In fact there are only a few of shots of the jumper falling in the water. They are just 15 seconds long.

* They talk about the fact that Grace is the SG-1 episode equivalent of GuP. And that not a lot of actors can play only with themselves. Where Amanda says to David that it is a gift. The way she says it is very funny. David did a lot of act 1 and 2 in single takes to save money. They also only shot 5 days. They also used a lot of camera’s to get different angles, what made it hard to edit.

* The episode was 6 minutes over, normally that is good cause they can cut it easily. But in episodes like this it is really difficult. So they deleted some scene’s with David and they really had to be creative about it. There used to be a scene where McKay is going insane, but due to time it wasn’t in it anymore.

* Amanda says about David: ‘ This is a great performance David. It is a really nice arc throughout the whole thing for you.’

* They use a lot of jump cutting to show that McKay is dreaming. It is cut shot to shot to show what is happening to his brain. It is something stylistically they don’t normally do on the show.

* When they are on Atlantis and all the sparks are behind Torri and Joe, it is something they don’t like doing cause the actors have to go to the soundstage to speak in what they were saying. But they thought it was worth it cause it is a visual piece. And it is necessary to see all the activity to see that they are pushing forward… To show they are going to save him.

* funny thing about the whale: it was put in out of desperation. And then it started solving all of these problems. It was like one of these divine interventions. And according to Amanda: ‘It is an ocean, there are whales.

* the wire on the sealing made it hard to cut. But when the jumper is moving…It is actually not moving but has everything to do with the camera and David moves the wires

* David thinks that these are dream roles cause you got so much to say. And then he thinks about that he has to learn it all. And Amanda replies: ‘Then you have a lot to do, but it is exciting’

* The reveal of Sam had to look like nothing magic has happened, and that it is just inside his head. That is why they showed a lot of the back. To show no one is there and then of course Amanda comes to the back.
                              Amanda: ‘a lot of people have issues with the colour’ Cause it is so different then everything in there, and that was the point. Amanda: ‘ I didn’t choose this colour by the by, this was Christina mc Cory.(sp?) I think it is brilliant because it is so not what Carter would normally wear. But what McKay might see her and it is a complete brightness in this dark dark puddle jumper. And I think it adds a little bounce, what is nice.’

* Amanda wasn’t going to be Carter Carter but McKay Carter. At the moment Carter comes in MG found it easier to write. He also didn’t know if Carter would say some of the stuff she said but since she was McKay Carter some of the things she would have said. The 2 characters bounce of each other. They have such a great chemistry. When Carter says: ‘do you know what you are doing’ the perspective changes cause it is not only McKay anymore. It is all about what is in McKay his head.

* The whale cut out was very funny. Amanda replies: ‘Oh yeaaaah.’ They always new it was going to cut out. It was actually a finding Nemo thing. Here they say what it was supposed to be.
                              Carter: ‘I speak Whale.’
                              McKay: ‘You do?’
                              And Carter stands up toward the camera and she says: (in that finding Nemo type of way)‘Heeey goooo geeet heeeelp’
                              Amanda says: ‘I can’t remember how I did it’ but everyone found it very funny. And David his reaction was so classic, it was like a non-reaction.

* Amanda says: ‘Can I say that I was very nervous to shoot this episode?’ ‘ It was a different approach to Carter which I really liked. But I was back on set with Martin. I hasn’t worked with you in a while, and I was working with David, who I hadn’t worked with in a long time. And I was working with the Atlantis crew and I didn’t know all of them. And I wanted to make a good impression. And I was really, really nervous.’
                              Then they reply that it sure didn’t show up and that it is great

* David talks about Amanda having a baby. Amanda says: ‘ She was about 4 months old, 5 months old.’ When they shot GuP

*When the puddle jumper hits the ground they love it that Carter doesn’t fall, cause she isn’t affected but it cause she isn’t real.

* From this moment on they are in a second jumper… the wet jumper. This shot this in a giant tank of water that was in a huge hangar. And the echo was insane. Sharp Sound cleaned that up so nice that they didn’t have to go into a sound stage. They lower the puddle jumper in the water. They did heated the pool.
                              Amanda (or Sam) had to stay dry until she did her wild stuff cause it was impossible to stay dry when you got to that level.

* This was the hardest show to mix (sound effects wise) because they didn’t know how the things sounded and every single sound was new.

* When McKay blames himself, they love the way Amanda reacts, the non-reaction to what is going on.

* The shooting was simple. It was all about the performance. Amanda says: ‘It was a nice change of pace’

* They put Amanda in the water now cause it was to hard to keep her dry and they did it all in one shot. And it was the first scene MG thought about when they heard McKay and would hallucinate Carter she could not have her top on. Amanda says: ‘ Well, I think I look like a woman who just had a baby.’
                              And they have been getting strange and awkward thank you letters from fans.
                              They did have a costume Amanda was going to wear. Amanda says:’ Christina McQuarrie built a great sort of wet suit costume’ But when it got wet it turned into papier-mâché and really weird. And then Amanda said she had a really great blue bra and it was a fluke she got that. And it looked great.
                              And the only time Carter would be interested in McKay is when she would trick him, cause there is no way she would actually like him, unless she was up to something.

* About the water stuff and about how much fun it is Amanda says: ‘I did too, it was quite fun’ Amanda and David didn’t get out of the water tank for most of the day. Amanda on the question what is that like: ‘Prune-y’ ‘I had to get out to feed the baby, that was the hard part. Because I had a wet suit on. I had to get out to feed.’

* The end of the ep was the trickiest part. To try to figure out how to get this to work. They also wanted to let Carter disappear but they did the close the door thing in the end.

some screencaps...klick on it to make it bigger...
                              Spoiler:

Eve love the caps thanks for sharing, I haven't seen the ep yet so I didn't read the commentary transcript but I'm really looking forward to it. That kiss looks kinda HOT eh I to am like you first and foremost an AT fan my S/J shippy tendencies are a wonderful bonus IMHO, I also think this MIGHT be why AT sometimes seems to be sort of anti-ship because she doesn't want Sam to be just some guys girl(even if that guy is Jack) Sam has so much more depth to her than that just IMO.
                              I also like seeing Sam interact with other people(men) she meets because to me this added another layer to Sam, even when she was with while I didn't want them to be together, I did enjoy watching how Sam grew as a women while in that relationship and ultimately realising she couldn't be happy with
                              I to like reading other "ships" in FF I read most, apart from Sam/Dan in a romantic way I mean, I just can't do that one, Sam/Jan FF I do like especially in a romantic way, is that weird ??I don't know maybe...lol

Julia(samcarterrules)
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Couldn't green you RepliC--thanks for the commentary stuff from GUP. I always love hearing AT's commentaries, but reading them is the next best thing. I thought NotSam was a lot of fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X