Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Sadly, all this stuff with Sam reminds me of the comment Amanda made about Ben and Joe getting to fly with the Thunderbirds and Amanda being told "We didn't think you'd be interested". I mean here this woman has been with the franchise six years longer than either of these men and yet they didn't even think to ask her if she'd like to participate. I know she may joke about it being a boy's club and learning how to play golf, but after last year's season of Stargate, I definitely have to wonder how much truth is really in her comments. I know Torri has made similiar remarks.

It would definitely be interesting to go to a con with Amanda, Teryl, Torri, Rachel and Claudia as guests and see what their comments are about the Stargate Boy's Club.
    Even if they didn't think that she would be interested, it would still have been polite to ask her. Worst case scenario, Amanda declines the invitation they've wasted a whole six seconds extending.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Sadly, all these posts about Sam remind me of the comment Amanda made about Ben and Joe getting to fly with the Thunderbirds and Amanda being told "We didn't think you'd be interested". I mean here this woman has been with the franchise six years longer than either of these men and yet they didn't even think to ask her if she'd like to participate. I know she may joke about it being a boy's club and learning how to play golf, but after last year's season of Stargate, I definitely have to wonder how much truth is really in her comments. I know Torri has made similiar remarks.

It would definitely be interesting to go to a con with Amanda, Teryl, Torri, Rachel and Claudia as guests and see what their comments are about the Stargate Boy's Club.
      I think there is a lot of truth in their comments about it being a boy's club. and even if they joke about it...the fact that they mention it says for me enough about the fact that there is truth in it and that they have some issues with it. I mean it doesn't have to be big issues but IMO they do have them.
      I mean the fact that they are seeing her as the girl says it... I mean the fact that they didn't ask her... ok she is a girl but what does that change about flying? I mean even if she had say no...they at least could have asked her! I mean than they had given her the option of going into it or not. But now she didn't have that choice. they just neglected her because of the fact that she was not a man. And that is just wrong.

Originally posted by L.A.Doyle
      I am Samantha Carter.... That'd be a great place to live RCtje!
      LOL
      isn't everyone a bit of Samantha Carter?? I mean everyone has something of Samantha in her.

Comment

Sadly, all these posts about Sam remind me of the comment Amanda made about Ben and Joe getting to fly with the Thunderbirds and Amanda being told "We didn't think you'd be interested". I mean here this woman has been with the franchise six years longer than either of these men and yet they didn't even think to ask her if she'd like to participate. I know she may joke about it being a boy's club and learning how to play golf, but after last year's season of Stargate, I definitely have to wonder how much truth is really in her comments. I know Torri has made similiar remarks.

I was at a conference a few years ago, sitting at a table full of folks in my industry discussing some of the latest trends. One of the guys asked a techical question about the new hardware we'd been using and I turned to him and answered it. He was sitting right beside me. But he didn't even look at me, he looked past me at my colleague from work (who was sitting on the other side of me) and said, "is that true?". He didn't know either of us from Adam. But I was the only female at the table. And when my colleague said, "Yep," the other guy nodded and went on. Then two minutes later, my colleague and I had stood up and were standing in the corner of the room. The same guy walks up and asks my colleague a question leading off from the first one. Again, he didn't even glance my way. My colleague had to tell him that the question wasn't in his area of expertise, but he deferred it to me. The point is - it happens so often that much of the time we tend not to even notice these things. The 'automatic' assumptions people make that a woman wouldn't be INTERESTED in flying a plane, or that she wouldn't know much about a technical issue. Especially in male dominated fields. It's not even meant as an insult, it's just so stereotypically ingrained in us from years of status quo - that if we don't step up and KEEP pointing it out (even when it seems tiny or ad nauseum), then it'll just perpetuate forever and the stereotype will never change. We're the ones that have to change it. No matter how b****y it might make us seem to some people when we apparently notice every so-called "little" thing. A million "little" things equals a very HUGE thing.

mg

"Don't worry about it, dollface. They guys are gonna grab a beer and leave you to get back to your needlepoint."

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
          From Part 2

Need someone to operate alien technology?

Spoiler:

Need someone to lead the troops?

Spoiler:

Need someone to kick butt?

Spoiler:

Need someone to save the earth, to save the galaxy?

Spoiler:

Lieutenant Colonel Samantha Carter is the one you need!!

Spoiler:

The following is a whinge so if you’re not wanting anything negative please do not read.

Spoiler:
          “They don’t know what to do with Sam Carter”

Damn but that phrase has had me irked for quite a while. Have you ever heard anything so lame in all your life?

These are professional writers FCOL, they have created a multidimensional character with many skills and abilities, who is a nice well balanced person. The character has unlimited potential to be taken in any directional they want. So what direction did they choose? WALLPAPER!!!

When I hear such puerile statements from professionals my first thoughts are A) you’re not even trying or B) you aren’t good at your chosen profession. Neither is a ringing endorsement in my eyes.
          WOO WTG ROX!!!

It's really hard to believe that after eight years, they'd suddenly be unable to think of ways to effectively use Sam. Personally I think it's more of a matter that RDA had such an onscreen presense that Jack was still capable of looking competent and in charge even when Amanda/Sam was doing her thing; however it was much more difficult to do that with a new lead when the writers were writing Mitchell to be a joke. So they had to downplay Sam in order to allow Mitchell to still look worthy of his position.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek

"Don't worry about it, dollface. They guys are gonna grab a beer and leave you to get back to your needlepoint."

Needlepoint? Hehe, I have no idea how to....needlepoint. And call me dollface one more time

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
              Needlepoint? Hehe, I have no idea how to....needlepoint.
              Neither do I. But it sounds dangerous, doesn't it?

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
                I think there is a lot of truth in their comments about it being a boy's club. and even if they joke about it...the fact that they mention it says for me enough about the fact that there is truth in it and that they have some issues with it. I mean it doesn't have to be big issues but IMO they do have them.
                I mean the fact that they are seeing her as the girl says it... I mean the fact that they didn't ask her... ok she is a girl but what does that change about flying? I mean even if she had say no...they at least could have asked her! I mean than they had given her the option of going into it or not. But now she didn't have that choice. they just neglected her because of the fact that she was not a man. And that is just wrong.

LOL
                isn't everyone a bit of Samantha Carter?? I mean everyone has something of Samantha in her.
                Well come on RepliCartertje, they had a very good reason for not asking her... she doesn't have her own joystick
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                  Well come on RepliCartertje, they had a very good reason for not asking her... she doesn't have her own joystick
                  Mandy stay of that beer will ya?!? I think you had enough for today lol
                  and this is a PG forum you know lol

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
                    Mandy stay of that beer will ya?!? I think you had enough for today lol
                    and this is a PG forum you know lol
                    A keep the moose away from her!

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                      Neither do I. But it sounds dangerous, doesn't it?
                      It uh...all depends where you stick it
                      (oooh bad Mandy )
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

what's even more depressing, try to make a point about the gender bias...and you're dismissed with 'all feminist rantings aside'...thus i'm a woman so i guess i'm not even worth listening to
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

A keep the moose away from her!
                          Hey it's not my moose, it's TJ's moose...and I can't help it if TJ like moose tossing
                          (you're just lucky I didn't mention Canada's national animal )
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                            LOL

score

cause you know, with guys, it all boils down to the joystick

sigpic

Comment

On the ratings topic, I plotted the episode ratings by season
                              Spoiler:

Comment

They didn't think she'd be interested? Heck, I'm interested! God bless her for putting up with the Boy's Club. Not only does her character have to deal with it, so does she.
                                and that's what is part of the issues with the show.

not necessarily that it's all male writers...but that it's a boy's club with little to no outside input.

they don't even need to add a woman writer per se, just SOMEONE that will break up the inner clique and drag them out of the 18th century. They're too insular, too isolated, too in love with themselves and no one seems to have the ability or willingness to question anything anymore.

conscious or not, deliberate or not, they are exclusionary. they segregate the cast and crew into 'cool kids' 'not so cool kids' (and the girls are the not so cool kids from all appearances)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X