Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
    And female Sam fans? We're just going straight to hell

But we at least know the company there will be good!
    sigpic
    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
      Can you just see what great and wonderful press they'd get if they *did* take AT up in a Thunderbird? Both the Air Force *and* the Stargate franchise would get all sorts of great press everywhere - because they could tout equal opportunity and forward thinking and such!
      Dude. That reminds me; that would have dovetailed (hee) nicely with Major Malachowski's story.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        It's as frustratingly dismissive as "you only want Carter to lead because you're a rabid Sam fan." ... It's meant to shut you down and lock you out. You couldn't POSSIBLY have anything reasoned or relevant to add to the debate because *gasp* you're one of THOSE.
        Kinda like one of THOSE rabid anti-Carters? You've done a good job not stooping to that level, Über. Me? I would be tempted to say something similar to my first sentence.

Comment

I don't often post on this thread but I was wondering if people had noticed a difference in the acting of the original three in seasons 9 and 10. I think that they tended to play off RDA in seasons 1-8. Their relationship to his character was the strongest for all of them. Now, it somwtimes feels like they are more like themselves rather than their characters. I find this neither good nor bad...just different. Sam just seems a lot more like AT.

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
            I don't often post on this thread but I was wondering if people had noticed a difference in the acting of the original three in seasons 9 and 10. I think that they tended to play off RDA in seasons 1-8. Their relationship to his character was the strongest for all of them. Now, it somwtimes feels like they are more like themselves rather than their characters. I find this neither good nor bad...just different. Sam just seems a lot more like AT.
            Interesting point. I think she may be a bit more like AT just b/c AT is playing Sam as more relaxed than she was--particularly a difference from S1. I think Martin Wood said in S4 or 5 that he could see AT putting more of her personality into Sam, such as her caring, but Sam still wasn't really Amanda. I like that Sam seems "comfortable in her own skin" if you will.

Comment

Which is another reason why I think they made a mistake trying to bring in a "new leading man" to take over for RDA. Besides being "the star," his character filled the role as being the emotional centerpoint. They all kinda bounced off of him because of their deep connection to him. It made sense that way. Bringing in an unknown new guy and making him the new emotional center doesn't make sense. It feels forced.

I have said this before but I believe that it was RDA's intention to have Amanda take over that role as the emotional core. It would have made sense because of her strong ties to both of the others and she could have served to help better integrate the new characters.

But then I guess she would have been considered "the lead" and they just couldn't have that now could they?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I think there has been a change in the way the actors have played the characters, but I don't think that it can solely be attributed to RDA. These actors and their characters are much more than how they interacted with RDA/Jack. A lot of the changes I've, personally, seen come from what the writers are willing to write, what the producers are willing to push for, and what the directors are willing to show.

Teal'c has become a lot more smiley. He had a lot to say at one point during S8, and then he went back to being the silent, stoic one. Nevertheless, I think Judge has injected a bit more levity into the way he plays Teal'c.

Daniel has become a lot more angsty and dark. Shanks has compared him to an RDA Jr. of sorts, and he seems to want to play Daniel as the jaded one, the one who's most likely to be sarcastic.

Sam has become a lot more light. She's more likely to laugh, she's not as uptight or by-the-books as she used to be. Tapping has said that Sam has a sense of humor now, and it definitely shows.

These could all be interpreted as natural progressions of character. Teal'c, after having lived on earth for ten years, and with his closest friends being of the Tau'ri, would logically be a bit more likely to emote. Heck, he's lived with three of the most expressive and emoting humans there are. Daniel, after all he's been through and all he's seen, is probably sick of the BS that he's had to endure, and isn't as wide-eyed and bushy-tailed as he was in the beginning. Sam, after seeing what she's seen and having gone through what she's had to endure, is probably pretty tired of the bureaucracy of it all. It would make sense that she no longer has to go by the book every chance she gets.

For the most part, I understand the changes that have gone on in the characters. And after ten years, it's probably pretty difficult for the actors to draw the line between their own characters and the traits they've developed for their alter egos. As a result, Sam may seem a bit more like AT, and Teal'c may seem a bit more like CJ.

I think RDA's contribution to the dynamic is something that can never be replaced or duplicated. But I'd also like to think that the characters would've gone down this route (somewhat), even if RDA/Jack was still around.

Comment

I always found it funny when people commented on the fact that their was no lead character. No matter what your personal preference was it was evident that RDA was the lead. When AT won an award it was as a supporting actress. Just who was she supporting if there was no lead? And I agree that RDA would have assumed that AT would provide that stabilityafter he left. I wonder if he has even seen season 9. If he was confused before???

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, tsaxlady!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                      Re: AT and the non-ride. Another reason this was boys' club plain and simple. AT is an *actor* playing an *Air Force Officer* who flies in AF vehicles. From a creative/acting standpoint, it would make sense to give her the opportunity.
                      And I agree with (?)--too lazy to go back and find it ) who said think of the good PR for the AF and the show to have AT up in an AF plane. Remember that troops (in Afghanistan?) gave AT that bracelet--that they only give to each other? I think that was in part b/c of her positive portrayal of a military officer. (I'm sure someone will remember the particulars.) But now that they've locked that Air Force advisor in the closet, I think the chances of AT getting to fly in an AF plane are diminished. And of course, should the opportunity arise again, you know who TPTB would push for.

Okay first - Tracy Jane HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY

Thank You for all the Birthday Wishes

School has started back for me and it has been a crazy start - the students start back on Monday - I'll be around when time permits but the next couple of weeks will be crazy for me

On the ride in a jet fighter - AT talked about it at the Vancouver Con so I asked her at Shore Leave if she had worked out a flight yet and she said yeah she thinks it is going to happen soon. So yeah it stinks that she had to go asking about it when the guys were offered the chance but it does look like it will be happening for her.
                      My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Sam is back! Sam is back!

A few thoughts on Season 9 Episode: Beachhead

Spoiler:
                        There were some bits of this episode that I thought were really clever, other parts that bugged me. Overall I found it the best episode this season so far.

Sam is back! And she looks amazing. I expected she might look a bit tired or weary having so recently given birth to Olivia, but she's absolutely radiant! It made Sam look happy in a way we didn't see much of throughout Season 8, smile in a way that is most like the sparky Carter who I first loved throughout earlier seasons.

The scene where Landry is on the phone to Jack in his office is kind of cute, where he's saying all these great things about Carter and how much they need her right now, and then there she is standing in the doorway having heard everything. I have to say from Sam's little grin there she actually looked quite pleased with herself, and so she should, she deserves every compliment she gets.

One thing I found a bit off was Sam's comment in the gateroom. After Cam says "Looks like we've got the band back together", Sam says something along the lines of "What's with the extra backup singer?". I have trouble seeing Sam say something like that, but maybe it's not too out of character. I guess I just don't want it to be Sam squeezing Vala out of the 'cool club', because then it makes Sam seem... wrong, and I don't want that, nomatter what reservations I have about the way Vala acts.

I was a little disappointed Sam didn't get to go down to the planet . Cam, Daniel, Teal'c and Vala all got to suit up in spacesuits and go, even though Daniel barely said anything and Vala and Teal'c said nothing.

I'm a little surprised Sam didn't guess what would happen when they set off the mark5 under the forcefield. I had a feeling early on that the forcefield was gaining power from every weapon they used on it and that that was one of the contributing factors to it expanding.

The supergate was amazing! I know there are stargates in space on Stargate Atlantis, but this idea of building a huge gate in Space using individual building blocks was kind of neat.

I have to say I actually liked Vala in this episode. For a change we had far less of her sexual innuendo; and her ingenious idea to cause a weak link in the chain with the cloaked cargo ship, and her bravery and guts to actually carry out her own plan impressed me. Naturally, I wish Sam could have been the one to come up with the idea and save the day, but considering this was Vala's last episode for this season I don't mind (at least... not too bad). But I want Sam to get to do it next time.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                          Sam is back! Sam is back!

A few thoughts on Season 9 Episode: Beachhead

Spoiler:
                          There were some bits of this episode that I thought were really clever, other parts that bugged me. Overall I found it the best episode this season so far.

Sam is back! And she looks amazing. I expected she might look a bit tired or weary having so recently given birth to Olivia, but she's absolutely radiant! It made Sam look happy in a way we didn't see much of throughout Season 8, smile in a way that is most like the sparky Carter who I first loved throughout earlier seasons.

The scene where Landry is on the phone to Jack in his office is kind of cute, where he's saying all these great things about Carter and how much they need her right now, and then there she is standing in the doorway having heard everything. I have to say from Sam's little grin there she actually looked quite pleased with herself, and so she should, she deserves every compliment she gets.

One thing I found a bit off was Sam's comment in the gateroom. After Cam says "Looks like we've got the band back together", Sam says something along the lines of "What's with the extra backup singer?". I have trouble seeing Sam say something like that, but maybe it's not too out of character. I guess I just don't want it to be Sam squeezing Vala out of the 'cool club', because then it makes Sam seem... wrong, and I don't want that, nomatter what reservations I have about the way Vala acts.

I was a little disappointed Sam didn't get to go down to the planet . Cam, Daniel, Teal'c and Vala all got to suit up in spacesuits and go, even though Daniel barely said anything and Vala and Teal'c said nothing.

I'm a little surprised Sam didn't guess what would happen when they set off the mark5 under the forcefield. I had a feeling early on that the forcefield was gaining power from every weapon they used on it and that that was one of the contributing factors to it expanding.

The supergate was amazing! I know there are stargates in space on Stargate Atlantis, but this idea of building a huge gate in Space using individual building blocks was kind of neat.

I have to say I actually liked Vala in this episode. For a change we had far less of her sexual innuendo; and her ingenious idea to cause a weak link in the chain with the cloaked cargo ship, and her bravery and guts to actually carry out her own plan impressed me. Naturally, I wish Sam could have been the one to come up with the idea and save the day, but considering this was Vala's last episode for this season I don't mind (at least... not too bad). But I want Sam to get to do it next time.
                          Wow, deep! I didn't know you were experiencing the "joy" of S9 for the first time. Glad you enjoyed it!

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                            Okay first - Tracy Jane HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY

Thank You for all the Birthday Wishes

School has started back for me and it has been a crazy start - the students start back on Monday - I'll be around when time permits but the next couple of weeks will be crazy for me

On the ride in a jet fighter - AT talked about it at the Vancouver Con so I asked her at Shore Leave if she had worked out a flight yet and she said yeah she thinks it is going to happen soon. So yeah it stinks that she had to go asking about it when the guys were offered the chance but it does look like it will be happening for her.
                            Yay! And so cool that you got to talk to her!
                            Good luck with school. Myself, I'm on a short break before fall semester.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                              Spoiler:
                              Wow, nice work Astro. A picture (or in this case a graph) is definitely better than a thousand words. I haven't seen the seasons compared visually like this before. Ah, you put so much work into this thread Astro, thankyou.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Happy Birthday Tsax! I hope you have a great day .

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Working...
                                X