Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    Listen IMO the only reason Amanda couldn't interpret my "Crystal Skull" is that she was expecting to hear the name of one of the popular Sam eps. She was asking what our fave eps were! Crystal Skull is more of a Daniel ep. She was very uninterested when she finally understood - or maybe she didn't?!

A very close second is Failsafe. The whole team working together - ahhh those were the days!!

Hey I got a tip off from one speed that something was said to the detriment of accountants --- Cough cough!!!!!!

Actually, I just voted for those two episodes in the Sci-Fi marathon poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
      Oh, I like that!

You may rise, my child.

But fear not, my foreign language expertise is limited to a now-lost fluency in Danish, and a year in grad school studying Scandinavian Languages and Literature (something that is not for the faint of heart seeing as virtually every single piece of notable Scandinavian literature is depressingly tragic...).
      Oh, WOW! That sounds awesome! Much more interesting than plain old French, German, Dutch. (No offence, guys).
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
        *cracks fingers*

Down with MacOS!
        I knew there was a reason I... You were one of those Pepsi drinkers too, weren't you?

Carter drinks Coke and prefers Mac to MicroSloth.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
          I knew there was a reason I... You were one of those Pepsi drinkers too, weren't you?

Carter drinks Coke and prefers Mac to MicroSloth.
          Them's fightin' words.

Carter drinks Diet Coke, and she works with Macs because she likes the challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
            Oh, I like that!

You may rise, my child.

But fear not, my foreign language expertise is limited to a now-lost fluency in Danish, and a year in grad school studying Scandinavian Languages and Literature (something that is not for the faint of heart seeing as virtually every single piece of notable Scandinavian literature is depressingly tragic...).
            Sorry...I'm sure you have a point here that's really valid about whatever it is you're trying to say...but my brain is still recovering from the whole "8,000 nerve ending" thing Trace posted earlier.

Last edited by Uber; 01 August 2006, 04:03 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Them's fightin' words.

Carter drinks Diet Coke, and she works with Macs because she likes the challenge.
              *pulls up a chair and a bottle of diet coke sloe gin*

Comment

Them's fightin' words.

Carter drinks diet soda, because she likes the taste better. And because the show can't possibly endorse either Coke or Pepsi (Sam's fav!), of course.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                  Carter drinks diet soda, because she likes the taste better. And because the show can't possibly endorse either Coke or Pepsi (Sam's fav!), of course.
                  There ya go.

Besides, we all know that Carter loves her HP (or is it Dell?).

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                    Sorry...I'm sure you have a point here that's really valid about what you're trying to say...but my brain is still recovering from the whole "8,000 nerve ending" thing Trace posted earlier.

And AD's lament about wanting one, too.

Yes... It's amazing what we could learn if we put TJ, mini and AD in a room together.

Comment

Carter drinks Diet Coke,
                      Oh boy, an MS-lover. I'll go slow: Yesssss, dancer, Diet Coke is a product of the C-O-C-A C-O-L-A Company, nooooot P-E-P-S-I-C-O.

and she works with Macs because she likes the challenge.
                      The challenge of not fighting with her OS every 5 minutes? The challenge of actually enjoying her computing experience rather than stressing?

Comment

OK, I need some recommendations from the computer-oriented amongst us...

I have update my PDF collection from the thread
                        'Welcome To My World'

Here's the problem: The pdf file is 24.6MB (the original Word document is more than twice that size), and my Personal Web Space is only 25MB... so I am rapidly reaching the limit.

I tried creating a ZIP file of the PDF file, but the resulting ZIP file was only a few hundred bytes smaller than the PDF file.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or recommendations?

I don't want to split the file into two before posting because it has a table of contents (custom-created, but it still updates and finds page numbers (when I tell it to), so I don't have to hunt and scroll).

Comment

Maybe Sam likes Dr. Pepper.....

Comment

There ya go.

Besides, we all know that Carter loves her HP (or is it Dell?).
                            It's a Dell inspiron 8200, if I remember correctly.

Comment

And AD's lament about wanting one, too.

Yes... It's amazing what we could learn if we put TJ, mini and AD in a room together.
                              Ummm... Ummmmm.... Must get my mind out of the gutter before I respond to that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                                I don't know how far back your original post was in this gimongous thread, Sky, but you posted:

Wow! You nailed it, Sky. Conflict's what's missing from this team, establishing lines the fellow teammates cross at their peril.

I think that what made the S&J ship thing so watchable(for those that liked S&J) was its awkwardness, not merely because of regs, but much moreso, for me, because of where Jack's emotional lines had been drawn. This awkwardness made for terrific, subtle UST.

Daniel's conflict with the rigid and, to him, unimaginative military mindset made for some of the best banter I've ever seen on episodic television.

I fear it's too late to create conflict among the all new Brady Bunch, though. At best we'll see Sam and Teal'c roll eyes at poor Vala who will be the object of many pithy putdowns from the Cam&Dan one-liners tag-team.
                                I totally agree. I totally miss the bantering and the differences of opinions. The thing I enjoyed so much about Jack is that he spoke his mind even if it was politically incorrect. Sometimes he said it in a joking manner, but there was always a glimpse of seriousness to his words. Whether fear, concern or dislike, he always used humor as a means to hide his deeper emotions which I can somewhat see in Vala now. Whereas Cameron just seems to toss out one-liners just for the hell of it. There is no rhyme or reason to it and it's really becoming quite tiresome.

In Pegasus Project he came across as a
                                Spoiler:
                                bully to me. I understand Mckay is a jerk at times and he tends to goad Carter on, but McKay didn't know Mitchell and Cameron intentionally tried to intimidate McKay on several occassions. I also didn't enjoy seeing Sam condone this type of behavior. Perhaps it's the mother in me, but it was like watching the cool kids at school picking on the newbie or geek. It just struck a nerve with me.
                                I've also become quite tired with the eye rolling over the past two season. It seems as if Sam and Teal'c do this a lot in S9 & S10 and I hate the fact that Sam seems to be complying to everything that goes on around her or she's quietly trying to ignore it.

I simply can not understand why Sam, Daniel or Teal'c have never mentioned the leadership issue? What has changed since S8 that Daniel and Teal'c would agree to be lead by someone other than Sam? I mean in my mind there had to have been some kind of discussion between these three characters before they agreed to join SG-1 again. So why weren't we allowed to see it? Just hearing their concerns and reasons for coming back would have helped me to deal with the issue of Sam not leading in S9.

Spoiler for S9 and Uninvited
                                Spoiler:
                                Oh sure we may finally get to hear Mitchell and Landry discuss the leadership issue in Uninvited, but I seriously doubt we'll be allowed to see Sam's point of view. If the writers finally state that Mitchell is unequivocally the leader of SG-1, then I hope they will also state that Sam is still in charge of R&D which is why she willingly accepted a position on SG-1 instead of taking command of her own SG team and that the Pentagon felt that during the Ori crisis Sam's place was best served as a member of SG-1 rather than behind a desk at Area 51. To me this would also explain why so many episodes have shown other scientists doing the scientific work instead of Sam throughout S9 and S10. Seeing as Sam is now in charge of the research and develop she wouldn't have the time to deal with all the scientific testing therefore forcing her to delegate the work onto others.

Personally I'm just tired of the lack of explanations and the fact that we are just suppose to assume that no one on the team has any issues with their situation and Cameron is a cool new CO whom everyone adores even if they are rolling their eyes at him and making faces behind his back. Granted it was slightly amusing in the beginning, but it's really beginning to wear on me now and like TH/Skydiver have said I miss the lack of conflict. I miss seeing Daniel jump up in down in frustration because he can't get Jack to understand his POV. I want to see Sam get a backbone again and actually let someone know she's pissed off like she did in Chain Reaction or Foothold. I want to see Teal'c do something other than bow his head and succumb to the outcome like he did in Flesh and Blood. Where is that spark that these three characters used to have? While I thought that Daniel's sermon in Pegasus Project was a bit over the top, at least Daniel showed a bit of passion again for something he believed in. I was really beginning to think they had all been replaced by pod people or we are watching an alternate reality.

The thing that is so upsetting for me regarding SG-1 pre and post S9, is before S9 I just wanted to see more moments with the team relaxing with one another. I wanted to see more of the friendly bantering and closeness that they shared in the earlier seasons. Then in S9 we suddenly got this new guy on the team. Someone whom only Sam really knew and suddenly Mitchell managed to not only get Sam, Daniel and Teal'c back onto SG-1, but we're suppose to believe that they all really like him and they make it a point by showing them all hanging out together, playing basketball and watching movies. Cameron is like the class clown and the others get so wrapped up into his shenanigans that they begin to behave completely out of character. I mean other than that little scene in The Scourge where Daniel and Cameron are disagreeing and Cameron basically says "I'm right...end of story" have we ever really seen any of the characters argue or disagree about anything? Oh sure Sam looked flustered when Cameron called her Mary Poppins, but she just let him get away with it. In most cases, when S/D/ or T get annoyed with Cameron the biggest reaction we seem to get from them is rolling of the eyes or simply walking away like they did Stronghold and Camelot. I really hated that in S9 and now it seems that Sam has just become a Cameron follower by joining in his little granny remarks and making fun of McKay behind his back with facial expressions. Or am I just seeing things differently than how they actually occurred?

One of the reason I adored SG-1 so much in the beginning was because it had two scientists on the team. Sam and Daniel made it cool to be intelligent and geeky. It wasn't until the Other Guys that we ever got a hint that SG-1 was considered the cool guys at the SGC or that people actually looked up to them. They weren't arrogant or condescending( ok maybe Jack was, but the others weren't ). Sam and Daniel didn't tease anyone or speak badly about them, but that seems to have changed. Jack may have occassionally made a joke about Sam and Daniel being geeks and he may have occassionally rolled his eyes, but he was always the first person to stand up for them when they were being treated badly or to inform others how intelligent they were. When I watched SG-1, they always felt like a family. A dysfunctional family, but a family none-the-less. They had their squabbles and disagreements, but it was obvious they cared deeply for one another. Noone had to tell us they cared, because we were allowed to see it. Jack always reminded me of an older brother who would antagonize/torment his younger siblings by teasing and calling them names, but just let an outsider make those same teasing remarks and he'd be right up in their face. I liked that.

I suppose this is why I have such an issue with Cameron because there has been so little background story to really explain Mitchell's acceptance by the other members of SG-1. It was obvious at the beginning of Avalon that Daniel really didn't know Mitchell well nor did Teal'c and one can only assume there was more to Sam and Mitchell's relationship than two people who met in S7 after Cameron's injury. So why haven't the writers given us any of this background information? I understand that in the beginning of S9 the writers were trying to define the Ori as the new threat to Earth, but the Gou'ald weren't a major part of ever single episode so why couldn't they have added a few stand alone episodes into season nine to explain why Sam would be willing to come back to the SGC simply because Cameron asked her to or why she is so willing to just overlook his childish antics.

Just once I would just like to see a scene where Cameron screws up or does something stupid and Sam actually gets angry and blows up at him.
                                Last edited by ForeverSg1; 01 August 2006, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X