Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    And I always thought it was ammonia in smelling salts?!!! Sure smelt like ammonia when I was flat out on the football pitch!!!

No peeking at Chimera - I fear for your sensitive soul!!!
    Indeed, there is ammonia in smelling salts. And I don't want to know what you want to do to 1speed.
    Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
      Indeed, there is ammonia in smelling salts. And I don't want to know what you want to do to 1speed.
      Revive him from the shock of seeing excessive Sam cleavature

Comment

Revive him from the shock of seeing excessive Sam cleavature
        Oh ! You mean that scene in Chimera !

1speed ! Forget the chimera DVD. It's not healthy for you. As the Royal Pharmassist of Samanda I recommend you put the disk in a closet and forget it until the good RA brings you smelling salts and revises her CPR skills.
        Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
          That's me...Cute but Kind of Evil. Besides, if she's stuck on any show that isn't fun...it's no fun watching. Glad we agree on the happy AT.
          Exactly. No matter how good an actor is, you can always see if their heart is in it.
          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I don't think any of the crew dislike her at all - well perhaps I wonder about a certain chap in charge!! However I bet a number of the regular directors - like PD'Luise felt a little bit put out when first time directing actor Amanda gets an award nomination. Who would blame them. I'm not suggesting for a moment they would dislike her for it, but be very protective of "their" area of expertise.

Amanda always gives credit to other people - she's a class act.

And I noticed BB did likewise in his current interview. He sounds like a real nice chap. Now any of TPTB who may be lurking - start writing some great stuff which makes mitchell into a believable, mature assertive leader who gels with the rest of the team for this nice chap you've signed - he's giving up a lot to be on the show!!

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
              What?! I'm a SAM fan as well. Note the sig image. As for infant, I don't know...since in the US (that's where I live) we have grade school (kindergarten through 5th grade) middle school (6th - 8th grade) and then high school (9th - 12th grade)

grade school ages are usually 5 - 10, middle is 11 - 13/14, high school is 14/15 - 17/18

Why the age differences in some? There's a stupid rule some states have that kids have to be 5 by a certain date in the year before they can start school. I don't get it...5 is 5. So what if not all kids are mature at the same age/time...it doesn't change anything by keeping them back when they first start school. They're still immature when they progress to the next grade level.
              Or you can live in Texas where we have

Elementary School ( K-5th grade )
              Middle School ( 6-8th grade )
              High School ( 9-10th grade )
              Senior High School ( 11-12th grade )

and yes like SunKrux said we have rules here that prevent children to enter school if they are not 5yrs of age by the first week of September.

This is one of the reasons I am homeschooling my daughter, because she didn't turn five until December 7th of this year and I didn't want to have her wait until she was 6 to go to Kindergarten. The sad thing is they don't seem to take into consideration that some children are actually quite mature for their age and they end up holding the child back for no real reason.

It's fine though. They are actually doing my daughter a service by preventing her from attending public school. It's given her the time to excel at new things that she would never have been given the opportunity to do while at public school. So while other children are sitting in a room with twenty other Kindergarteners, screaming and yelling, while their teacher tries to calm them down long enough to run through the ABC's and 123's, my daughter can already read, knows how to add and subtract, has already learned basic swimming strokes in her swimming class, is learning about Picasso and Monet in her art classes, and starts piano lessons in a few weeks. I just thank the lord that I'm lucky enough to live in a state that allows me to teach my daughter as I see fit without any government intervention.

I'd like to apologize for my ranting. I know this is totally off-topic, but the American school system is a very sore subject for me. I've been burned by our local school systems, which are supposed to be exemplary, with both of my children. I know there are some very fine teachers out there and there are people who genuinely care, but I also know there are many children who are lost between the cracks of our current school systems which should not be the case in a country like I live in.

Hopefully, Amanda has better luck in Canada with Olivia than I have had here.

Kat
              Last edited by ForeverSg1; 08 January 2006, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                My partner gave her blessing on a November trip this morning. I've promised her a trip to England for a long time now (she's never been out of the US).

"So, Kate, there's this Amanda Tapping gathering going on in London in November..."

"Yeah?" (She tolerates my Stargate obsession, but doesn't share it)

"We could do the touristy thing then, but it might be cold, dark, and we may not see the sun the entire time we're there... and many of the tourist places may be closed."

"Sounds good to me!"
                Yeah, Strix! It will be so nice to a chance to meet you at Gabit!!
                This is beginning to turn into a real party! We'll definitely have to plan some sort of get together for all of us while we are there.

Comment

Hi Kat,

I think home schooling is a very good idea in some situations. If, like in your case, the child has had the special care and attention to help them get to a higher level than most their age, then the school system would hold them back.

In Germany there is the chance to skip years, so that if you are above the normal intelligence level, you can go on to a higher class with children older than you.

In Britain home schooling is illegal, but, having said that, we start at, or before, the age of five. I am the youngest in my year group, having an August birthday, so had only just turned five when I started in year 1. The others in my class would have been in reception classes until that point, learning to read and write.

Comment

Ah yes, but you'll have the delightful company of 1speed, myself and my daft pooch to keep you entertained. We can drench you in Welsh whiskey if necessary to keep the cold damp air out of your bones. Then there's the trip to the chambered Burial Ground (1speed knows how to show us ladies a good time), the obligatory walk up Cadir Idris (what sort of ascent are you up to - 3,000' okay?). And just for you - cause I know you're a twitcher - I'll take you to the area of my caravan for a walk to see if we spot the Red Kite out hunting. At the van you can put bird seed out and get nuthatches, great spotted woodpeckers (er well I've seen 1) Dunnock, tits (blue, great and cole) and even Jays.

Now doesn't that make Wales in November seem quite appealing.

Plus all the sites in London will be open for Kate's great escape from the GABIT crowd!!

On topic? SAM'S A GREAT CHARACTER!!!
                    My husband will be there as well and he's an old pro getting to and from London after last year's Gabit. I'm sure he wouldn't mind giving Kate some help if she chose to escape the con for the London sights. My husband is another one who tolerates my going on about Stargate and Amanda. It's actually quite sad how he could actually participate in a discussion about Sam/Stargate even though he's never really watched the show.
                    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 08 January 2006, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      Yeah, Strix! It will be so nice to a chance to meet you at Gabit!!
                      This is beginning to turn into a real party! We'll definitely have to plan some sort of get together for all of us while we are there.
                      Sweet! And me! You guys have to show me around too - cuz I'm goin' solo to this one! Ahhh! My SO's gonna be in Santa Monica next November at that time, so I'm alls-alones! *sniff*whine*pout*

mini(the-big-loser-with-no-gabit-travelling-companion)geek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

I don't think any of the crew dislike her at all - well perhaps I wonder about a certain chap in charge!! However I bet a number of the regular directors - like PD'Luise felt a little bit put out when first time directing actor Amanda gets an award nomination. Who would blame them. I'm not suggesting for a moment they would dislike her for it, but be very protective of "their" area of expertise.

Amanda always gives credit to other people - she's a class act.

And I noticed BB did likewise in his current interview. He sounds like a real nice chap. Now any of TPTB who may be lurking - start writing some great stuff which makes mitchell into a believable, mature assertive leader who gels with the rest of the team for this nice chap you've signed - he's giving up a lot to be on the show!!
                        Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I really don't believe anyone felt anything, but happiness for Amanda when she was nominated for Ressurection. I think Amanda has said it herself, that she could not have accomplished what she did in terms of directing Resurrection were it not for all the help she recieved from the cast and crew. I believe it was a wonderful learning experience for her and to me it was obvious that they were all behind her 100%. The fact that she was nominated her first time directing just proves that she has a very good eye and keen ability that would only get better with more experience under her belt. I can somewhat understand why she wasn't given an opportunity to direct in season eight. With RDA's onscreen time even less, Amanda did have to be on camera a great deal of the time and their shooting schedules were very hectic. However, it's obvious in season nine that this is not the same issue, so hopefully she will be given the chance to direct at least one or two episodes on SG-1 or Atlantis in season 10. I will be highly disppointed if they lessen Sam's role on the show and still do not offer Amanda a chance to direct again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                          Hi Kat,

In Britain home schooling is illegal, but, having said that, we start at, or before, the age of five. I am the youngest in my year group, having an August birthday, so had only just turned five when I started in year 1. The others in my class would have been in reception classes until that point, learning to read and write.
                          Sorry for the OT but had to correct you TJ It is not illegal to home school in Britain, you just have to declare you're going to do it to the local educational department , you'll have to be shown to follow the national curriculum and there may be some annual checks.
                          I think they start schooling far too early in the UK , my youngest is going to be 4 in late April and has to start school in September. I have the option to keep her at home until she turns 5 (still too early imo) but the school will not keep a place for her so is no option at all I wish I had the courage to home-school like ForeverSg1 but I find the prospect a bit daunting
                          Sorry for the OT

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                            Sweet! And me! You guys have to show me around too - cuz I'm goin' solo to this one! Ahhh! My SO's gonna be in Santa Monica next November at that time, so I'm alls-alones! *sniff*whine*pout*

mini(the-big-loser-with-no-gabit-travelling-companion)geek
                            I'm gonna be on my own too, don't worry. I figured you guys would all be there, and although I do have friends who *like* Stargate, I don't think they'd fork out that amount of money on a con.

As for Jafacakes, I'm sorry, I didn't realise that. I thought it was illegal. Nice to know, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                              Yeah, you did. I was secretly hoping grade school was the next one up, though! Sob!

As for Coley and 1Speed... you're forgetting the ball of human energy that is Me!!!! Talking of which... anyone up for a room share, or should I just kip on my sister's floor (she lives about 10 mins from Heathrow)
                              Kip on your sister's floor - you'll save a bundle of cash and can buy more memorabilia!!

Comment

But if I stay with my sister (if she lets me, that is) I miss out on all the other fun. I quite fancy being where the action is.

Comment

Working...
                                X