Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by chocdoc
    Fabulous post, spaz. I feel the same way. I do like BB, but to advertize him as the male lead is puzzling to me. I do see what you are saying, Shardsofglass, in regard to bringing in BB's fanbase, but I'm just not convinced that it was necessary. Season 6 made it fine without replacing MS with a "star" and I don't think we had to have a "star" to replace RDA.

The fact the BB is after the Stargate SG-1 title seems to me that this is an ensemble cast. In fact, IMO, because of RDA, it was an ensemble cast in the first 8 seasons. And during seasons 6-8, as spaz pointed out, RDA was in it much less and the ratings just got better and better. I like BB, but as I watch the show with my partner, we scratch our heads wondering why he is the "lead." But I don't hold that against BB---I just don't really see him as any better or more popular than the orgininal cast members. But clearly scifi network thought that they had to bring him in to help replace RDA, and the point about bringing in new fans is probably what they were thinking. The qustion is, did they really need to? Well, a moot question now anyway. We'll never know.

I agree with spaz. As long as the original cast members don't get pushed aside by BB and CB, I'll be okay--- well and as long as the writing gets better again and we get team episodes. I'm almost forgetting what team episodes are?
    Below is a list of the lead actors for the major science fiction shows filmed in Vancouver, Canada. American productions filmed in Canada always have an American as the lead actor. Having Ben Browder as the lead actor on Stargate is not unique, or unusual. If Ben Browder had not been selected as the lead, it would have been another American actor.

Battlestar Galactica - Edward James Olmos, Los Angeles, California
    Stargate: Atlantis - Joe Flanigan, Los Angeles, California
    Stargate SG-1 - Ben Browder, Memphis, Tennessee
    The 4400 - Joel Gretsch, St. Cloud, Minnesota
    The Dead Zone - Anthony Michael Hall, Boston, Massachusetts

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
      Belated Happy, MG - and many more, each happier still.

Hmm... Birthday Dinner... There ought to have been cake...
      Thanks Simha! There was indeed cake. And ice-cream, too. Mmmm.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

:O

I forgot to add a Happy Birthday MG!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          the opening credits have ben's name first and then amanda's. fine, i can live with it. but the collection of pics shown 'before' the name stargate is shown is ALL bb/cm. almost feels like ben's name above the title. (maybe this is the real reason why we didn't have opening credits for a while. didn't want to shock the fans with the sudden realization that the newcomer really 'was' the lead of it all???)

sally
          I don't really think it was the real reason. But speaking of opening credits and specifically of the part above the title, why didn't they use the gate's spots they used before for Redemption ? Let's face it, the real star of the show is the big round thingy down in the 28th level. At least that's what I thought. After all, the show's named after it.
          Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Mini, are you sure you can't go to Shore Leave or is it still a possibility ?
            I'm keeping you on the list.

Shore Leave

Skydiver
            minigeek (unlikely )
            tsaxlady
            dancer of spaz (I'm keeping you there spaz until you say no )
            Dani 76
            Lys
            Forever SG1
            Nell
            LOL4JACK
            SG1Poz
            WhatFateAlmondRoca
            Simhavaktra
            Lady Jeep

GABIT2

Skydiver
            minigeek
            Dani 76
            Tracy Jane
            Forever SG1
            Dipsofjazz
            Coley
            1speed4Sam
            Lady Jeep

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
              The trick is that I'm not working in a pharmacy but in a big supermarket with a beauty shop. And althought I could be away if I was ill, my boss has the right to send someone to check if I'm really at home. So, there's no way I can come. I'd really love to, but I don't want to lose my job because of a convention, even one with AT.

Oh gosh Lys - I would never suggest you scive - I'm an upstanding play it by the book accountant!

No I was suggesting that if they could cover you for sick couldn't they cover you for special leave situation - thats all!!

Qas - your interpretatiopn - tut tut!!

Comment

I would like to say late happy birthday's to spaz, majorsam and minigeek. I was thinking of you guys on your special days, but couldn't get internet to post, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY you guys!

And a very late Happy New Year to the rest of you!

I'm currently working my way through all the posts since I was last here, so I'll probably find anything important eventually, but if anyone knows of any urgent important archiving that needs to be done, just say.

I've missed you all, even if I wasn't away for that long this time.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  HAPPY NEW YEARS SAMANDA

and no, i'm not AT. i'm not tall, pretty or skinny. i dont' have a husband or baby and i definitely am not an actress
                  Even if you're not tall or pretty, you're a beautiful person sky. And I mean that.

I was told recently by someone (in RL) that I say things tha sound like I'm sucking up to people. Well, if that sounds like I'm trying to suck up to you, I'm sorry. I'm not, it's just the way I write. I'm not sure how to change that aspect of myself yet. But right now, I just want you to know that I mean what I say.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                    Oh gosh Lys - I would never suggest you scive - I'm an upstanding play it by the book accountant!

No I was suggesting that if they could cover you for sick couldn't they cover you for special leave situation - thats all!!

Qas - your interpretatiopn - tut tut!!
                    LOL ! Coley, as a play it by the book accountant, could you explain to my boss what special leave means ? He seems not to understand the word especially if someone from the team is already in holidays. He hardly undertands it when you have to leave for a funeral, so I wouldn't bet anything for a convention.
                    But let's not lose faith, anyone wants to book early for GABIT 3 in 2007 ?

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                      And I don't see it as a diss at the rest of the cast at all. None of them were demoted. They're still in the same spot in the credits. They just weren't promoted to the lead. When the head of sales left my company, for instance, they didn't replace her with someone from the staff, they brought in someone from outside who already had a lot of experience being the head of sales. <shrug>

Think we're saying is they didn't need to bring in anyone new. All the cast members present in season 8 were capable of carrying to story forward. I myself would have prefered Hammond to come back, have Carter lead and bring in someone as the 4th member to the team - so perhaps one new actor - develop a nice character to take the show forward a little. Go back to the team based episodes. Amanda, Michael and Chris have proven they can deliver the comedic aspects of the show. So where is the problem?

However, whoever it is has decided to change the show almost completley. Bring in new names and characters and 2 big names and characters in particular. They will undoubtedly compromise the position the original cast would have enjoyed if they hadn't brought these new players into the fold and they will take attention and air time from the original cast.

Now it just galls me after 8 years that this would happen - as there was no need to do this.

Our fears are that Vala and Cam will significantly reduce Sam's role and these fears have been supported by the recent news that she has got a 20 ep contract, but may spend some of those on Atlantis. Also the news that they don't know what to do with her - which to my mind implies she may not even be in the SG1 team.

Now to my mind Amanda has been treated pretty shoddily. So where does your moral stance lie on this one? I know we have to wait to see how it all pans out - especially after the uproar after GABIT - but it has been widely accepted that Amanda was pretty much a full on dedicated team player for Stargate over the 8 years. I don't think anyone else could have pulled off a better Carter - she along with all the original characters have helped to shape the show. It is ridiculous to suggest that none of the characters or actors are now important and are now expendable.

I agree with you that now they have signed 2 new members they should be used. It is how they are used that will depend on whether I watch or not.

I don't like the Vala character I will struggle watching if she parades around in her current form.

If Carters role significantly reduces I will stop watching - a totally shoddy way to treat a dedicated actor who has given so much to the show. I really haven't got any loyalty invested in BB or CB yet - they didnt have any hand in making the show which has been a joy to watch over the 8 years.

They would have to significantly improve the Cameron character - he just doesn't fit into the show for me - I can't put my finger on why - maybe it will get better in the second half of season 9.

I need to see more team based eps - but if that team excludes Carter I will not watch.

The Ori are boring me already

I fail to see how anyone who has watched the show for 8 years can say that the original lead cast haven't been demoted so we shouldn't complain. The have been demoted from what would have been if the new players were not introduced. It is quite plain to see. MS hints that AT, MS, CJ are not overjoyed at being told that they are not important to the show in his latest interview snippet. An actors portrayal of a charcater can make the difference between making the character work or not. I think all the original cast of Stargate played their characters superbly and I still miss Hammond and Janet - again 2 fantastic characters ditched for no reason.

*You* may not have seen it as the Jack show, but it was pretty clear to me that he was the lead. Well I'd say the fact that the show has been picked up for S10 means that the new cast is successful. Whether individual fans like certain characters or not, I can't say, but in general, most fans must like the changes or they would've expressed their displeasure by changing the channel. And that hasn't happened.

Maybe they, like me, are trying to give the show a chance.

I do not like the changes. If they show remains as it is now and with Vala and less Sam I will not watch anymore. It is a wait and see. I think the show at the moment is a shadow of its former self. They have got the BB character wrong (IMO) Vala as she is at the moment could never carry the show like Sam Carter. Landry is not as good as Hammond, the great intelligent dry humour has degenerated into (too many) flip one liners. There is no way that Mitchell as he is been written now would be allowed to lead any SG team - let alone SG1. But I will still wait and see - but I fear the worst

For a show that's been on 8 years, I doubt a lot of advertising will help it. By now, people have either heard of it and rejected it or they're watching it. I don't see Ben as a babysitter at all. In fact, she show has hardly featured him at all so far.

Not true I know lots of people who have never heard of Stargate. Marketing is a key tool and would be a safer ploy than changing the show completley. If the original cast couldn't pull it off with a bit of marketing - then spin off again.

They snatched for BB and CB pure and simple - now they have a mess, and it is unfair to all the actors mixed up in it and everyone else who is trying to cope with this decision.

I agree Ben has not been featured too heavily. I hope this continues - though he needs some development. I want a team based show - but the team needs to gel!!

And see, the show will lose me if they only focus on the three original characters. It's not fair to Ben or Claudia or anyone else to be hired for a job and not allowed to do it simply because they're newer.

And what if Amanda's role is reduced to accommodate these new actors - think the bigger injustice would be to Amanda

We will just have to wait and see what happens. I just want the SG1 as its original premise - which was nothing about cleavage revealing aliens spouting sexual innuendo or hip leading males trotting out lame one liners - it was about the Stargate and a team of 4 supported by the SGC and some colourful alien baddies with some intelligent humour thrown in. RDA managed to pull of the one liners much better than BB - though the one liners BB has been given have been pretty lame. Bring on the Daniel and Sam snark - that worked for me, not as good as RDA - but close.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                        This is why I have found this such an ironic situation. On the one hand, they are telling AT that they don't think she can direct an episode next season because then they would have to reduce her role too much in several episodes, yet on the other hand, they are not sure what to do with her character! I think I'm not sure how to interpret, "we haven't figured out what to do with your character yet." Does this mean, we don't know what Sam will be doing in general, say stay on the team or not? Or is it referring to, we don't know how often we want sam to go to Atlantis yet, given some needs for that show's storylines. It's all so vague.

Personally, I think TPTB are having trouble knowing how to write for any of the characters, except say Vala! Mitchell hasn't been easy to write for--they have written him inconsistently so far. I think he will have two episodes coming up where he will be front and center. Teal'c's only focus this whole year has been the Jaffa nation---I find that storyline not real compelling, and I really like it when Teal'c is doing something else too! Daniel has really been not as central lately and in the first part of season 9 he was for me, Vala's sidekick. And they seem to be vacillating between writing the archeologist and the military action Daniel --and not finding for me a good balance between the two. Lam--well they don't seem to know what to do with her character. I say make her a professional and act like one, and lay low on any relationship issues during her introduction, but they didn't do that. Landry has been okay--doing what a general does.
                        Another great post which has said everything I feel far more succinctly than I could have!!

On the directing issue. If Carter gets the air time she has in eps 6 to 9 I'm sure she will be able to direct. They have been quite Carter light - for whatever reasons.

I think it is a matter of whether they want her to or not. And to be fair to whoever makes the decision on this one - it will be taking a job off someone else - though I think they should give her the opportunity.

I think Amanda realises that at her age good roles are hard to come by and Directing will be another string to her bow. It would be great if she could direct for Atlantis if she is the be elbowed out of SG1, or if SG1 folds.

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                          I would like to say late happy birthday's to spaz, majorsam and minigeek. I was thinking of you guys on your special days, but couldn't get internet to post, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY you guys!

And a very late Happy New Year to the rest of you!

I'm currently working my way through all the posts since I was last here, so I'll probably find anything important eventually, but if anyone knows of any urgent important archiving that needs to be done, just say.

I've missed you all, even if I wasn't away for that long this time.

Its great to see you back Deepspace!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                            Mini, are you sure you can't go to Shore Leave or is it still a possibility ?
                            I'm keeping you on the list.

Shore Leave

Skydiver
                            minigeek (unlikely )
                            tsaxlady
                            Dani 76
                            Lys
                            Forever SG1
                            Nell
                            LOL4JACK
                            SG1Poz
                            WhatFateAlmondRoca
                            Simhavaktra
                            Lady Jeep

GABIT2

Skydiver
                            minigeek
                            Dani 76
                            Tracy Jane
                            Forever SG1
                            Dipsofjazz
                            Coley
                            1speed4Sam
                            Lady Jeep
                            IIRC, Lida and AmberMoon have also signed up for GABIT2.

Oh, and you seem to have missed yourself off the list again, Lys...

Comment

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
                              IIRC, Lida and AmberMoon have also signed up for GABIT2.

Oh, and you seem to have missed yourself off the list again, Lys...
                              Updated list:

Shore Leave

Skydiver
                              minigeek (unlikely )
                              tsaxlady
                              Dani 76
                              Lys
                              Forever SG1
                              Nell
                              LOL4JACK
                              SG1Poz
                              WhatFateAlmondRoca
                              Simhavaktra
                              Lady Jeep

GABIT2

Skydiver
                              minigeek
                              Dani 76
                              Tracy Jane
                              Forever SG1
                              Dipsofjazz
                              Coley
                              1speed4Sam
                              Lady Jeep
                              Lida
                              Ambermoon

My dear 1speed, do I have to fear a short sighting epidemy originating from the RA kitchen ? You seem to have succombed right after her. And I can garantee you that my blue jello, spiced or not has nothing to do with the current state of your eyesight.
                              In order to help you, I highlighted my name in the list so you can see that I didn't miss myself.
                              Are you sure you still want to kidnap me ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                                Updated list:

Shore Leave

Skydiver
                                minigeek (unlikely )
                                tsaxlady
                                Dani 76
                                Lys
                                Forever SG1
                                Nell
                                LOL4JACK
                                SG1Poz
                                WhatFateAlmondRoca
                                Simhavaktra
                                Lady Jeep

GABIT2

Skydiver
                                minigeek
                                Dani 76
                                Tracy Jane
                                Forever SG1
                                Dipsofjazz
                                Coley
                                1speed4Sam
                                Lady Jeep
                                Lida
                                Ambermoon

My dear 1speed, do I have to fear a short sighting epidemy originating from the RA kitchen ? You seem to have succombed right after her. And I can garantee you that my blue jello, spiced or not has nothing to do with the current state of your eyesight.
                                In order to help you, I highlighted my name in the list so you can see that I didn't miss myself.
                                Are you sure you still want to kidnap me ?
                                As I quite like the way my kneecaps are facing at the moment, I shall refrain from commenting on the RA's culinary skills...

But I was talking about the other list, my dear Lys. Do you have any preference as to what colour blindfold you'd like us to use?

Comment

Working...
                                X