Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm enjoying dr who

yes, it is silly and cheesy and the plots are rather fantastical

but it's also funny and punny and i have to give the writers points for imagination. also, it's nice to watch a show that's NOT taped in vancouver with actors and writers that i know

it's a diversion, a silly way to spend an hour
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      i'm enjoying dr who

but it's also funny and punny and i have to give the writers points for imagination. also, it's nice to watch a show that's NOT taped in vancouver with actors and writers that i know

I thought it was pretty on par with the Dr. Who I remember from years ago. I'm going to watch it again and see. It was pretty out there, but I did enjoy the
      Spoiler:
      *****y trampoline (!) "Moisturize me!"

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular

NC
        Nobody bakes a better Samandan birthday cake than NC!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WEEKEND JCKFAN
        HOPE YOU HAD A GRAND OLD TIME
        ENJOY THE CAKE AND YOUR NEW YEAR
        WASH IT DOWN WITH A GLASS OF JACK'S BEER!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...l/JackBeer.jpg

Comment

i'm enjoying dr who

Dr. Who would not bother me becaus it's SUPPOSED to be cheesy and cliched and not take it's self seriously, whereas on the other hand, Stargate was intelligent and respected for 8 years so watching it go down the drain with its cheesy cliched nonesense is what make it so ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
            Dr. Who would not bother me becaus it's SUPPOSED to be cheesy and cliched and not take it's self seriously, whereas on the other hand, Stargate was intelligent and respected for 8 years so watching it go down the drain with its cheesy cliched nonesense is what make it so ridiculous.
            Well I guess it's just not my cup of tea and being on a low fat diet, I find it has just too much cheese
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

which, i think, is why i'm enjoying it. it's divesionary fun.

just like i think i can cut atlantis more slack than i can sg1 i ranted and rambled on this in my LJ but since atlantis is set in a 'galaxy far, far away' i can cut it more slack than i can with SG1, that happens to be set 500 miles down the road in a city i've been do and is populated with 'normal' people...that watch teh same tv shows and hit hte same chain restaurants that i do

basically, with SG1 set in the here and now, i can't give it the silly beneifit of the doubt that i can dr who or atlantis

sigpic

Comment

Happy Birthday
                jckfan

(does this mean you have to change your number )
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

which, i think, is why i'm enjoying it. it's divesionary fun.

just like i think i can cut atlantis more slack than i can sg1 i ranted and rambled on this in my LJ but since atlantis is set in a 'galaxy far, far away' i can cut it more slack than i can with SG1, that happens to be set 500 miles down the road in a city i've been do and is populated with 'normal' people...that watch teh same tv shows and hit hte same chain restaurants that i do

basically, with SG1 set in the here and now, i can't give it the silly beneifit of the doubt that i can dr who or atlantis
                  See, and that's one of the main problems I have with Atlantis. For as much of the "galaxy far, far away" stuff that it has going on, I can't help but watch and judge the fare on Atlantis by the same standard I use to judge SG-1. And it's just too cartoonish and silly for me way too much of the time. I don't know. SG-1, for all of the supposed outlandishness of the concept, for all of the unbridled ostentatiousness of the Goa'uld, I always found it all to be handled with an appealing mix of humor, cynicism, and seriousness. There are certain aspects of O'neill, Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c that work to lend credibility and realism to whatever "crazy" situation the writers choose to put them in. Those four characters, from the beginning, had experienced enough pain and conflict, had been through enough different experiences and seen enough of life that you (well, at least me) believed their reactions to the events that happened to them. I don't get that when I watch Atlantis. By and large, I just see characters going through the motions, reacting almost constantly with a humor that doesn't fit with what I know about the characters. I know this is going to sound wacky, but for me, Atlantis is way too "televisiony"--too much bland humor, too many useless CGI space battles, and a story full of so many patented "stupid" character decisions and plot holes that you could fly Apophis' mothership through them. I can't get into it. I just keep watching because its story ties in to SG-1 and I want to be able to keep up. And for as critical as I've been of SG-1 this year, I've had even more problems with the unoriginal tripe that is Atlantis. I know it's not even trying to be as serious or grown up as SG-1 (despite the constant TPTB's claims of how scary, harsh, and ooohh! "dark" it is). I do. I know that. But it's still Stargate, and I'm probably going to judge all Stargate by the standard they set years ago.

PS
                  I had some problems with Dr. Who, too. I can deal with the inherent campyness of the show (I laugh everytime I see Evil Dead), the seemingly nonexistent production values, etc. But there doesn't seem to be very much at all to the story. It just felt rather hollow and stretched too thin to me. I'll give it another go, though.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                    See, and that's one of the main problems I have with Atlantis. For as much of the "galaxy far, far away" stuff that it has going on, I can't help but watch and judge the fare on Atlantis by the same standard I use to judge SG-1. And it's just too cartoonish and silly for me way too much of the time. I don't know. SG-1, for all of the supposed outlandishness of the concept, for all of the unbridled ostentatiousness of the Goa'uld, I always found it all to be handled with an appealing mix of humor, cynicism, and seriousness. There are certain aspects of O'neill, Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c that work to lend credibility and realism to whatever "crazy" situation the writers choose to put them in. Those four characters, from the beginning, had experienced enough pain and conflict, had been through enough different experiences and seen enough of life that you (well, at least me) believed their reactions to the events that happened to them. I don't get that when I watch Atlantis. By and large, I just see characters going through the motions, reacting almost constantly with a humor that doesn't fit with what I know about the characters. I know this is going to sound wacky, but for me, Atlantis is way too "televisiony"--too much bland humor, too many useless CGI space battles, and a story full of so many patented "stupid" character decisions and plot holes that you could fly Apophis' mothership through them. I can't get into it. I just keep watching because its story ties in to SG-1 and I want to be able to keep up. And for as critical as I've been of SG-1 this year, I've had even more problems with the unoriginal tripe that is Atlantis. I know it's not even trying to be as serious or grown up as SG-1 (despite the constant TPTB's claims of how scary, harsh, and ooohh! "dark" it is). I do. I know that. But it's still Stargate, and I'm probably going to judge all Stargate by the standard they set years ago.

PS
                    I had some problems with Dr. Who, too. I can deal with the inherent campyness of the show (I laugh everytime I see Evil Dead), the seemingly nonexistent production values, etc. But there doesn't seem to be very much at all to the story. It just felt rather hollow and stretched too thin to me. I'll give it another go, though.

golfbooy, thanks for putting into words what I've been feeling about the show but just couldn't put the reasons into words. I'll watch Atlantis if I happen to catch it, but if I miss an episode I don't really care. As for Dr. Who I just can't sit through that show, but that's just me
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy

PS
                      Yeah, that's why I have enjoyed Stargate as well because the characters were always written on the more serious side so it just seemed more believable to me. I mean I know that in reality no one is going to survive so many near death experiences as the members of SG-1, but the characters were written to have some lasting effects. The characters have become increasingly darker as time gone by. They aren't as easily impressed and filled with wide-eyed excitement as they were in the earlier seasons and as sarcastic as Jack may have been he wasn't constantly cracking jokes all the time. He did have a much darker side and while he may have been sarcastic and condesending at times as a means to lighten the mood, he never behaved like a clown to me making jokes of every situation. The problem with SG-1 this season is that it just hasn't felt as if there is a good balance between the wise cracking and the real serious stuff. To me, the wise cracks appear to be added at impromper situations, especially during the briefing room scenes.

I enjoy that Sam and Teal'c have been allowed to loosen up a bit this season, but I just haven't felt any of the drama this season. I know the Ori are suppose to be a huge threat, but I just don't see or feel any real concern from the four members. There's just too much lightheartedness, especially on the part of Mitchell; and maybe that's due to the fact that he really hasn't had to live through the stuff that Teal'c, Daniel and Sam have. Or maybe he's one of those people who deal with stress by making a joke, but it comes across as odd to me.

I'm really hoping that season ten will mesh better and there will be more of a balance between the light and serious moments. Hopefully we'll get some nice juicy tidbits about season ten this week that will help to alleviate some of my concerns.

Comment

grr, ok wehre was i.

ok, yes, atlantis does have cheesy fun. and there are cringeworthy plot holes. But you know, there's not a single character on the show that i care about. Teyla, Ronon, Shep, Weir, Rod, Carson...any of them could get killed off next week and i won't care. I have no emotional connection with them at all.

Inferno was, well a cliched plot. But it was fun. I like disaster movies and just sat back and enjoyed the ride.

i guess, to be blunt, i don't care about atlantis so i can jsut watch it. Same with Dr Who. It's a way to kill an hour on a friday night.

stargate i care about. I've spent seven (omg has it been that long????) years crawling into these characters heads to write them and i care about them. which, i think, is why i let changes bug me. I care what happens to them because, to me, these characters were created in such a real and in depth way that they are 'real' in the context of the show.

Atlantis characters? They're just folks filling out a recipe and saying lines

sigpic

Comment

ok, yes, atlantis does have cheesy fun. and there are cringeworthy plot holes. But you know, there's not a single character on the show that i care about. Teyla, Ronon, Shep, Weir, Rod, Carson...any of them could get killed off next week and i won't care. I have no emotional connection with them at all.
                          I'd care if Weir or MacKay got killed off. I like them, especially Weir. I'd be a tad miffed if Teyla bought it too. I'd be a bit sad if Zelenka kicked the bucket... that's about it.
                          scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                            My moment of glory is short-lived, however, because I was supposed to have rewatched Frozen a coupla days ago.
                            ooooooh!

Originally posted by DEM
                            P.S. Sam and Jan are great in Frozen.
                            "They're fish."
                            scarimor

Comment

Originally Posted by ForeverSg1:
                              Yeah, that's why I have enjoyed Stargate as well because the characters were always written on the more serious side so it just seemed more believable to me. I mean I know that in reality no one is going to survive so many near death experiences as the members of SG-1, but the characters were written to have some lasting effects. The characters have become increasingly darker as time gone by. They aren't as easily impressed and filled with wide-eyed excitement as they were in the earlier seasons and as sarcastic as Jack may have been he wasn't constantly cracking jokes all the time. He did have a much darker side and while he may have been sarcastic and condesending at times as a means to lighten the mood, he never behaved like a clown to me making jokes of every situation.
                              Yes, yes, yes. It drives me crazy when people dismiss criticisms of Mitchell or Sheppard by blithely declaring, "Oh, he's acting just like O'neill". Jack was never just cracking jokes in the hope that the audience might chuckle. There was a darker undercurrent to O'neill because you knew so much about his character. His humor came from a cynical, dark place, not a glib, happy one. One of the appeals of the O'neill character is that he used humor to belie the way he was really feeling, to hide the things he's done in the past, and to give others a false sense of security. I always got the impression that there was "more" there than just a joke.

And for me, it was those darker, conflicted aspects of the characters that sucked me in so efficiently. With O'neill it was the dark, obscured past, the death of his son, the loss of Skar'ra (how the hell do you spell Skarra?), and his overall cynicism, world weariness, and reluctance to commit himself.

With Carter it was the conflicted, irrationally intense attachment to Cassandra, the total despair and strain of her relationships with Jacob and Mark, the pain of her mother's death, etc.

Daniel, despite his undeniable brilliance, was an absolute faliure. He had no future to return to on Earth. The only thing that did prompt his return was the brutal loss of Sha're at the hands of Apophis. Later, it's having to deal with the birth of Shifu, and his own feelings of helplessness regarding Earth's situation.

Finally, there's Teal'c. You knew, from the beginning, that Teal'c had seen and done things that were horrific. His own actions in COTG carried such huge ramifications for him personally that you were immediately sucked into his story. All that stuff with Drey'auc and Ry'ac just added to his sacrifice.

I don't see any of that depth when it comes to the Atlantis characters. I don't care about them, and I don't care because they're not interesting. Same with Mitchell, to a certain extent.

The bottom line is, for me, I can easily see how those four original characters could give themselves over so completley to the program, and how they could grow to mean so much to each other. There's just a lot to those characters and their relationships with each other. I just wish that TPTB would make a few statements that indicate that they know why it all worked so well from the start, too.

grr, ok wehre was i.

Yup. I'm right there. The characters are too hard to care about on Atlantis, they all have a cartoony sense of overriding unrealism to them. Teyla has got the stick fighting, Ronon's got his day-glo gun and animalistic nature, Shep's ever the Lothario, and Rodney's one-time ego centric cowardice has turned into bumbling actions and rambling diatribes.

The one character I do think is worth saving is Carson. Paul McGillion has done a commendable job of adding a maturity and individualism to Beckett, a separate voice for the character apart from whatever the plot requires. I'd gladly exchange Dr. Lam for Dr. Beckett at this point. I don't hate Lam, but I do like Beckett.

stargate i care about. I've spent seven (omg has it been that long????) years crawling into these characters heads to write them and i care about them. which, i think, is why i let changes bug me. I care what happens to them because, to me, these characters were created in such a real and in depth way that they are 'real' in the context of the show.
                              And that's the real root of my (and I believe many others') dissatisfaction with and sometimes anger towards season nine. After investing a decade of my life in the show, after allowing myself to get caught up with the characters and their stories, it makes me absolutely sick to see Stargate SG-1 not live up to its own standard of excellece and to see those characters shunted to the background or "B" plot.

And that's enough off topic ranting from me for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                Yeah, that's why I have enjoyed Stargate as well because the characters were always written on the more serious side so it just seemed more believable to me. I mean I know that in reality no one is going to survive so many near death experiences as the members of SG-1, but the characters were written to have some lasting effects. The characters have become increasingly darker as time gone by. They aren't as easily impressed and filled with wide-eyed excitement as they were in the earlier seasons and as sarcastic as Jack may have been he wasn't constantly cracking jokes all the time. He did have a much darker side and while he may have been sarcastic and condesending at times as a means to lighten the mood, he never behaved like a clown to me making jokes of every situation. The problem with SG-1 this season is that it just hasn't felt as if there is a good balance between the wise cracking and the real serious stuff. To me, the wise cracks appear to be added at impromper situations, especially during the briefing room scenes.

I enjoy that Sam and Teal'c have been allowed to loosen up a bit this season, but I just haven't felt any of the drama this season. I know the Ori are suppose to be a huge threat, but I just don't see or feel any real concern from the four members. There's just too much lightheartedness, especially on the part of Mitchell; and maybe that's due to the fact that he really hasn't had to live through the stuff that Teal'c, Daniel and Sam have. Or maybe he's one of those people who deal with stress by making a joke, but it comes across as odd to me.

I'm really hoping that season ten will mesh better and there will be more of a balance between the light and serious moments. Hopefully we'll get some nice juicy tidbits about season ten this week that will help to alleviate some of my concerns.
                                I agree with you Kat. While there have been a few moments in S9 that I did really like. I miss the feel that SG-1 had back prior to S7. I've said this before but Mitchell needs to be put on ritalin - if he would calm down I might start enjoying the character. At this point I don't feel vested in him and if he were to die it would not bother me. It's also why I have a hard time with the idea of Mitchell leading SG-1. The class clown does not make the type of person I want as a leader.

I know we have been told that the Ori are this big new super threat but I just don't feel it. Don't tell me show me - both in their actions and the reaction of SG personal. They way I view the Ori it's like when Yar was killed off on Next Gen by the blob - I felt cheated and if one of the main characters of SG-1 were killed of by the Ori in their current state I would feel the same way. Make them feel like a real threat and I'll be happy to see them stay around - currently I hope we lose the Ori story line early in S10 and they move on to something better.

Over on Atlantis I find the Wraith a more menacing threat. When they are around I feel like the SG personal are in more danger. I think the person I would hate to see die the most on Atlantis is Caldwell. I'm just getting tired of the Sheppard/Rodney show on Atlantis. Rodney was a better character on SG-1 than on Atlantis. I do hope when/if Sam goes to Atlantis in S3 we see her interact with someone other than just Rodney. Plus as a non-shipper I'm really really really tired of the Sheppard girl of the week. If you have to have that then hook him up with Teyla or Weir and be done with it instead of a new girl every week - it's like a girl in every port story.

As for Dr. Who - well I personally enjoyed the second episode Friday night. The first one "Rose" fell flat for me but the second one I did like. It was campy but that was what I expect from Dr.Who and I got exactly what I thought I would. I don't see it pulling in huge ratings but I think they will be okay.
                                My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X