This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To original poster -

Please add my name too. I think it may already be added to your original e-mail, but just in case.

My name is Naliza Geldenhuys
    I'm 27 years old and from South Africa
    I've spent a lot of money ordering DVD's from Brittian and now I can't help but wonder for what?

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
      Did you put my name ? Thank you

caty
      yes Caty - you're on the petition. Please get every J/S shipper you know to sign it. I've got fifty names now, but I'll need more!

I'm wanting the petition to get to TPTB on the 28th - Shipper Day!!
      sigpic
      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz
        Hey Suz, Can we read this petition? It may intice shippers to de-lurk and sign it. I'd prefer to read how you'll be wording it before signing on to it. Nothing against you but I'd read a contract with my mother before signing it Thanks.

SG-1Poz
        I've posted the letter that I'm sending on the Jack/Sam shipper thread. It's between pages 25 and 30 (I think)

Heres the actual petition (which is still in progress)

NAME AGE LOCATION COMMENTS EMAIL ADDRESS
        Trisha DePriest 30 USA
        Rachael Farrimond 18 England
        Lisa 21 USA
        Joseph 23 USA
        Beverley 44 Scotland
        Stephanie Clarke 32 USA
        Lisa Ide 30 USA
        Becky Truitt Not Provided USA
        Robin Truitt Not Provided USA
        Dave 33 England
        Cora 22 Ireland
        Thalassa 35 Brazil I didn't waste that much money buying DVD's to see Sam and Jack not getting together Natasha 18 UK
        Rebecca Ratcliff 44 Ohio USA
        Mary M Kleinsmith Not Provided Not Provided SG1 needs it's fifth man! Why should we settle for less? Jack O'Neill would die for any member his team, but there's only one he'd live for: Samantha Carter
        Lesley Myrtle 48 England
        Naliza Geldenhuys27 South Africa
        Shirley Legree 45 Canada
        Eddie Moy 21 USA afta 7 seasons/years (not including the 8th season) of subtle looks,
        touches, and eps like WoO, BtS, TBD, etc. Damn straight I want Sam
        and Jack together!!!!
        Susan Bartsch Not Provided NYC USA
        Tasha Walls 32 USA
        Bren Ren Not Provided California, USA
        Mary Jackson 40 USA
        Cindy Vandenplas 29 Begium
        Di Evans Not Provided USA
        Chris B. 27 USA
        Stephanie 16 Austria
        'grooni' Not Provided Canada
        Caty Not Provided UK, from France
        Teresa Banus 46 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
        Jill Fitzsimmons 16 Northern Ireland
        Rebecca J 32 USA

Tracey Bowen Not Provided Homestead, FL
        Marrisa Carley 15 USA
        Linda Not Provided Not Provided Hail Dorothy! Sonia Palomar Marquez
        20 Madrid Spain

Sorry I know it's a mess! But it's taken from a table, so I can't help it!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buc252
          However, TPTB at SG only seem interested in the opinions of *certain* fan groups, not all of us.
          I do agree, but only if you replace '*certain* fan groups' with 'ratings'.

At the end of the day it is the only thing that matters to them, because that is how they get their advertising and make their money. And Stargate is their product, as much as Herbal Essences Shampoo is Clairol's product.

There was no reason, ratings-wise, for them to replace Jonas with Daniel. Season Six did very well in the ratings. And bringing Daniel back didn't hurt the ratings either - it still did well in season 7. I can see why, since IMO Jonas was a potentially good character, and so is Daniel. Like Sue and many other viewers, I'm thrilled that Daniel is back. I'm also bitterly disappointed that they got rid of Jonas. It isn't an either/or situation.

However, ship is a bit different - it changes existing characters in a fundamental way. And one of those existing characters is the 'star' of the show. TPTB will be more reticent about making that sort of change. Unless they can be nearly 100 percent sure that it wouldn't hurt their ratings.

Which is where letters come in. I agree with a previous poster - emails and internet petitions don't hold weight. What really counts are the letters people have taken time to write and post in.

So if you are pro-Pete or anti-Pete, that is how you should let TPTB know. Politely and with respect, please.

But do remember that TPTB also have an eye on the demographic they really want because it is the demographic that the advertisers lust after. The 18 to 25 young male market. And ship isn't going to appeal to that market - it may even turn them off.

That is a far more likely reason that TPTB will choose not to go with ship.

I am rather disconcerted by the trend towards a levelling of 'blame' for lack of ship at the door of a group of fans who support a different aspect of the show. That it is their 'fault' because a) TPTB only listen to them or b) they've turned the TPTB off listening to any fans at all. That sounds divisive to me, and a disservice to most of the fans here at GateWorld, who I know are often both pro Daniel and pro Jonas, or pro Daniel and pro Ship, or Prop Pete and Prop Ship, or anti-ship, anti Daniel, pro Jonas... You know what I mean!

People don't fit so easily into one particular group, and it disturbs me when people use broad brush strokes, such as all Daniel fans are anti-Jonas, or that if you're Pro-Pete then you must be Anti-Ship.
          sigpic

Comment

Gate Gipsy -

Thanks for putting sense into these message boards. I think we're all feeling the tension at the mo.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
              I think we're all feeling the tension at the mo.
              That's understandable, that's what happens when you're dealing with the unknown. It is extremely frustrating when you have an aspect of the show that is deeply important to you, that you've invested in emotionally, and you are left not knowing if it will ever appear on the show again.

Often, when faced with deep uncertaintly, normally moderate people will hit out and react in extreme ways. It affects everyone differently, but it is important to not let it affect the way you interact with the fandom. I know from experience that sort of thing can almost destroy any enjoyment fans get from a show, as they get so caught up with negativity in the fandom.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                yes Caty - you're on the petition. Please get every J/S shipper you know to sign it. I've got fifty names now, but I'll need more!

I'm wanting the petition to get to TPTB on the 28th - Shipper Day!!
                ok I write a post in the Yahoo sam and Jack site and give your e-mail addy ...ok

caty

Comment

Ok I went ahead and I posted about 20 of the same post PETITION SAMANDJACKTOGETHER ..PLEASE SIGN..... at Yahoo sam and jack site

Will add more in a few hours .

Caty

Comment

Hi,

I sent you a PM with my name, country and age; you can add me to all petititions that support Sam/Jack and also to those that are anti-Pete in any way.

Cheers Estelle
                    *still totally frustrated and angry*
                    Abu: This is a woman?
                    O'Neill: Oh, yeah.

Carter: Err. Colonel?
                    O'Neill: It's my side arm, I swear.

Jack: I don't get it. I mean, how can she make kids without a... man friend?
                    Malek: The Queen is able to reproduce asexually.
                    Jack: Is that why you guys took hosts?

Jack: Oooo... did anyone else feel that?
                    Sam: The tingling sensation is a result of the EM field passing over your skin, but it's not causing any physical damage, so there's no need for concern sir.
                    Jack: No I *like* it.

Comment

I´ve a problem with my mailbox so I´ll post here.

Steffi, 19, Germany, Send Pete to Edora - Ba'al right after him and bury the gate!

Great idea for that petition!

Steffi ~ A Shipper on mission *weg*

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
                        Ok I went ahead and I posted about 20 of the same post PETITION SAMANDJACKTOGETHER ..PLEASE SIGN..... at Yahoo sam and jack site

Will add more in a few hours .

Caty
                        Don´t add more, caty!! You´ve posted 20 about them ...people are getting really annoyed because one would´ve been more than enough! They´re getting your message like 20 times now and it´s like Spam ...you better go there and apologize and explain why you posted 20 of the same messages! I´m trying to calm them already ...

Steffi ~ A Shipper on Mission *weg*
                        Last edited by Send Pete to Edora; 14 July 2004, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
                          People don't fit so easily into one particular group, and it disturbs me when people use broad brush strokes, such as all Daniel fans are anti-Jonas, or that if you're Pro-Pete then you must be Anti-Ship.
                          Folks are far more complex than all white, all black, all yellow, all red, all blue - more likely they are grey, or orange, or green... a mixture of different perspectives.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom
                            Folks are far more complex than all white, all black, all yellow, all red, all blue - more likely they are grey, or orange, or green... a mixture of different perspectives.
                            well yes, except of course Green is so very very wrong, and Blue is right, on so many levels.

**smacks self for going off topic**
                            sigpic

Comment

well yes, except of course Green is so very very wrong, and Blue is right, on so many levels.

**smacks self for going off topic**
                              HAHAHA! I momentarily forgot about the whole blue/green thing...mea culpa!

The real point was that primary colours are very limiting - they don't allow for the myriad "shades" and "tones" of the rainbow of fandom.
                              sigpic

Comment

I do agree, but only if you replace '*certain* fan groups' with 'ratings'.

At the end of the day it is the only thing that matters to them, because that is how they get their advertising and make their money. And Stargate is their product, as much as Herbal Essences Shampoo is Clairol's product.

There was no reason, ratings-wise, for them to replace Jonas with Daniel. Season Six did very well in the ratings. And bringing Daniel back didn't hurt the ratings either - it still did well in season 7. I can see why, since IMO Jonas was a potentially good character, and so is Daniel. Like Sue and many other viewers, I'm thrilled that Daniel is back. I'm also bitterly disappointed that they got rid of Jonas. It isn't an either/or situation.
                                Your right. Stargate is a product, and everyone is going to have different opinions on said product. If someone is unhappy with a product, the only way to affect change is to let your dissatisfaction be respectfully known to the makers of the product. I personally didn't get involved in the Daniel debate because it didn't affect my enjoyment of the show.

However, ship is a bit different - it changes existing characters in a fundamental way. And one of those existing characters is the 'star' of the show. TPTB will be more reticent about making that sort of change. Unless they can be nearly 100 percent sure that it wouldn't hurt their ratings.

Which is where letters come in. I agree with a previous poster - emails and internet petitions don't hold weight. What really counts are the letters people have taken time to write and post in.

So if you are pro-Pete or anti-Pete, that is how you should let TPTB know. Politely and with respect, please.
                                Ship between major character is different. TPTB have not completely done away with ship for the characters (Laura, Ish'ta, Hathor ). I can understand their hesitancy, but I think most S/J shippers just want TPTB to finish a storyline that TPTB started. For me, finished either way. Either kill the ship or resolve it. I also agree that written letters will have a bigger impact maybe even phone calls to MGM.

But do remember that TPTB also have an eye on the demographic they really want because it is the demographic that the advertisers lust after. The 18 to 25 young male market. And ship isn't going to appeal to that market - it may even turn them off.

That is a far more likely reason that TPTB will choose not to go with ship.
                                My disagreement with this statement is that if ship is going to turn off that demographic then why are TPTB forcing that demographic to watch the Sam and Pete ship. Ship is Ship, and right now there is a whole lot of ship. I just want Sam and Jack ship.

I am rather disconcerted by the trend towards a levelling of 'blame' for lack of ship at the door of a group of fans who support a different aspect of the show. That it is their 'fault' because a) TPTB only listen to them or b) they've turned the TPTB off listening to any fans at all. That sounds divisive to me, and a disservice to most of the fans here at GateWorld, who I know are often both pro Daniel and pro Jonas, or pro Daniel and pro Ship, or Prop Pete and Prop Ship, or anti-ship, anti Daniel, pro Jonas... You know what I mean!

True. Fans should not criticize each other. We should just agree to disagree. I'm glad the fans impacted the return of Daniel. That gives me hope that S/J fans can impact the show. Everyone should be allowed to voice their opinion without criticism. That is one aspect of the Shipper Thread I love. We can have different opinions and still be a supportive, encouraging family of fans.

Token ~

Comment

Working...
                                X