No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon for me is anything that appears on screen - dialogue, action, background props including Jack's engineering degree which is hanging on the wall in his office in S8.

You do have to look closely and it's not obvious though so if someone wants to give him another degree in a fanfic I don't think it matters very much.

and occasionally, canon is contradicted (props vs dialogue, for instance) in which case I believe its anyone's guess!
    sigpic
    Women of the Gate LJ Community.
    My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
      Canon for me is anything that appears on screen - dialogue, action, background props including Jack's engineering degree which is hanging on the wall in his office in S8.

You do have to look closely and it's not obvious though so if someone wants to give him another degree in a fanfic I don't think it matters very much.

and occasionally, canon is contradicted (props vs dialogue, for instance) in which case I believe its anyone's guess!
      Does anyone know where he got his degree? I'm curious what university they sent him to

I agree with you for the most part - if the degree had played a major role (or even a minor role) I would have stuck with it, but since it's a background piece I felt more comfortable "playing" with it. Not that I don't think he could've done engineering. It just doesn't seem like he did. I wonder why they picked that particular degree?

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
        Well, I'm not disregarding that pic of Jack in Atlantis!
        I would say, if it's not on-screen, it may not be canon. I wonder if that degree was ever shown in a shot.
        You can see framed degrees in Jack's office but I can't read them - they get fuzzy when enlarged. Maybe some one else has better computer techniques.
        sigpic
        Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
        My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
          Okay, but in our defense I'm thinking back over our discussions here and I'm not remembering the use of those kinds of names very often on this particular thread.

But it doesn't hurt to remind us.
          both main s&j threads got the same warning, because I know a lot of people go between the two, and if we only warn in one, then I know someone will complain that we're only picking on one thread

It's an equal opportunity friendly warning
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            both main s&j threads got the same warning, because I know a lot of people go between the two, and if we only warn in one, then I know someone will complain that we're only picking on one thread

It's an equal opportunity friendly warning
            Thanks Sky, will bear that in mind
            sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

A Matter Of Time

Banner by Blacky Kitten

Fave Quote: Cromwell: "Is that proper military terminology? What exactly does 'funky' mean, Sergent?"

Fave Scene: I've always liked the scene where Sam takes off her dog tags and they go horizontal before slipping into the event horizon. I don't know why... I just like it.

Again, another cool opening scene of a dying star turning into a black hole, however I think the timescale is ramped up a few exponentials....And wouldn't a star go supernova to create a black hole? Theoretically, shouldn't the energy of that obliterated the team on the nearby planet?

Then we see Jack whispering to Sam, asking her a question about wormholes. He wants to know if they're always there or not. Now, is this Jack asking a question he really doesn't know the answer for is he just asking Sam that question for the chance to talk to her, watch her face light up as she discusses something scientific? (I'm assuming it was written in for the average viewers benefit)

Anyways, they have an unschedules wormhole activation, and Sam mentions that Daniel is gone with SG-6 on a dig. They get a signal, and after not recognizing it, Sam suggests speeding up the recording to find out what it is. It's SG-10's iris code, very very very slow. They all hang around waiting for someone to come through, and the wormhole disengages with no traveller. Jack volunteers to go with SG-1 to do a rescue mission.

Hammond comments that he won't authorize a rescue mission without assessing the risks, and Jack is not happy about that. He comments that he recommended Boyd for the team and it seems that he feels personally responsible for Boyd.

What are they filling the MALP with?

Sam guesses that the image from the MALP is 'red shifting', only sending images from the red end of the light spectrum. Jack asks for permission from Hammond to go through for rescue but Sam says no. She manages to get a picture of what Boyd seems to be looking at it. Jack recognizes the black hole. Sam points out that time is different for SG-10 and points out that they will be pulled apart by the gravity of the black hole. Hammond orders the gate shut down and Sam initially protests. It isn't until Jack reminds her sharply that they are watching good men die.

The gate won't shut down, and Sam guesses that because time is slower on the other side of the gate that it's a paradox that the gate wasn't designed for. Jack suggests pulling the plug, and Sam considers it. Jack and Siler begin pulling breakers which begin to spark and short out. Jack and Siler pull the main breaker and Siler gets zapped. It doesn't work to disengage the wormhole.

On his way to get contact with the outside world and meets Major Davis who tells him they're going to see the president. The Major explains that the SGC is experiencing a time dialation and tells Hammond they were already guessing it was a black hole.

In the infirmary, Sam is explaining to Jack about her theory about time warping through the gate, and Jack asks her to stop it. To me it sounds like he's frustrated and almost snaps at her. She gives him a 'we're in trouble, Sir' and turns away. I'm not sure if it's hurt or frustration on her face.

Jack walks straight into Cromwell and right off the bat it's obvious they don't like each other. I think it's funny when Cromwell asks Jack why it's so bad that they're connected to a planet with a black hole. Jack's response is that things tend to get sucked in, however, I believe that Jack could give a far more detailed response if he wanted too.

When Sam meets up with them and explains yet another theory about the gravitational lens (?) Jack's face is hilarious. It's obvious that he desperatly wants to show he's listening and understanding as Cromwell won't, but it's so funny when Cromwell calls him out on it and Jack turns away.

Hammond reappears after an apparent 18hr absense. He explains that the orders are to destroy the gate in hopes of disconnecting the wormhole. Sam disagrees but it's overruled. Hammond asks for two volunteers and Jack immediatly signs up. When Cromwell speaks up, Jack doesn't hide that he wants someone else to help.

Jack comments that Boyd is smart, then says he reminds him of Carter. Why?

Cromwell comments that maybe Jack knows how it feels, Jack shuts him down immediatly. Cromwell brings it up again, stating they used to be friends, and how he felt bad when he found out Jack was still alive. He explains that when Jack got hit and went down, he made a call to save the team and leave Jack. Jack explodes, yelling that he lost 4 months in an Iraqi prison. Cromwell wants Jack to forgive him, but Jack won't. He points out that no one gets left behind, so Cromwell points to Boyd's face on the monitor, stating it's the same thing.

Sam and Hammond have a discussion as Sam is still convinced that the plan won't work. She comments that Daniel is lucky he doesn't have to be there. Hammond then triggers an idea in Sams head about focusing a bomb at the gate, hopefully causing the wormhole to jump to a different gate like it did when they were in the Antarctic.

Sam gets back to the control room just after the glass shatters and explains her plan. Cromwell and Jack gear up and attach themselves to the horizontal ropes with the bomb and head into the gateroom. AFter Sam is done explaining, Cromwell comments (then Jack interrupts) that she's way smarter than they both are, and Cromwell gives Jack a cheeky little grin.

There's a very cool shot of the wormhole from overhead, looking like a strange tornado at the backside. Another pane of glass shatters, falling onto Jack and Cromwell, eventually cutting Cromwell's rope.The iris collapses. He holds onto Jack until he lets go. Jack gets back to the bomb, arms it and hauls himself back to the gateroom. The bomb goes off and the screen goes white.

Jack wakes up in the infirmary with the rest of SG-1 and Hammond around him. Sam explains that the wormhole jumped to another gate and the SGC is safe.

I've always liked this epidsode, mostly because it deals with Jack's past, and I just always enjoyed it.

Sam and Jack Implications: Hmmmm.... Well, at the beginning you get that nice scene with the two of them talking quietly but again, I don't know if that is Jack asking a valid question, or just talking to Sam. Other than that, there isn't much. If anything this episode, to me, shows how much Jack respects Sam's knowledge. It's also humerous that he doesn't want others to know he doesn't understand every word that comes out of her mouth.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Toomi View Post
                Sam and Jack Implications: Hmmmm.... Well, at the beginning you get that nice scene with the two of them talking quietly but again, I don't know if that is Jack asking a valid question, or just talking to Sam. Other than that, there isn't much. If anything this episode, to me, shows how much Jack respects Sam's knowledge. It's also humerous that he doesn't want others to know he doesn't understand every word that comes out of her mouth.[/COLOR]
                I think he's asking a valid question Jack is smart and sometimes he plays dumb, but I really think he's trying to understand how it works. I also think his "playing dumb" in this scene is some of that O'Neill charm - flirtatious indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Toomi View Post
                  Sam gets back to the control room just after the glass shatters and explains her plan. Cromwell and Jack gear up and attach themselves to the horizontal ropes with the bomb and head into the gateroom. AFter Sam is done explaining, Cromwell comments (then Jack interrupts) that she's way smarter than they both are, and Cromwell gives Jack a cheeky little grin.
                  yes. is it just me or is her intelligence what Cromwell was commenting on here? Jack seems to run him over as though he doesn't want to hear anything else come out of Cromwell's mouth.
                  sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Aveo_amacus View Post
                    yes. is it just me or is her intelligence what Cromwell was commenting on here? Jack seems to run him over as though he doesn't want to hear anything else come out of Cromwell's mouth.
                    I wondered the same thing... and the reason behind the cheeky grin... As if Cromwell was going to say something about her, not her intelligence, and when Jack spoke over him, it's almost as though Cromwell figured out that perhaps Jack has a bit of interest in her, hence the cheeky grin.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      Folks

In light of us not allowing character bashing along with actor bashing, we've been disallowing the use of some terms used in a derogatory manner towards a character or pairing.

Terms on the list are terms like McIcky, Vaniel, etc...and you know, Spud fits in with those terms.

Dislike Pete all you want, but please, let's lose the Spud and those other nicks you've come up with to disparage him.

If you have any doubt about a term, PM a mod and we can give you a ruling, but let's lose the name calling please

Thanks
                      Oh, come on! It's harmless venting that's been going on for over three years. And they want us to stop now? I think I can see why people are leaving to go to other forums. GW used to be fun, but with all the gag orders, it's just not anymore.

JM frustrated O.
                      - Mary
                      SG1 needs it's Fifth Man - Why should we settle for less? Bring back Jonas Quinn!
                      Jack O'Neill would die for any member of his team. But there's only one he'd live for: Samantha Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
                        It was said that the exposition in the briefing room was getting boring to shoot, so perhaps they were trying to mix things up and trying for some more interesting shots, who knows?
                        Well, they do mix it up this season by having them in the control room or elsewhere when they get the info on their next mission, that I've noticed. But, of the ones in the briefing room, they're apart way more than they are together- the opposite of S1. I think it's 7 to 3 now.
                        Yes, our boy does usually hide his lights under a bushel basket. And he does look delectable this season.
                        Um, yes.
                        And I do like my eye candy. Like, say, in the opening scene of The Fifth Race.
                        Which brings me to that episode...
                        Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                        Favorite Scene(s)
                        1) When Jack gets catatonic, Sam first checks his pulse, but afterwards she lightly caresses his cheek
                        Yes, and that's about the only ship in this entire ep, except for that little look he gives her at the beginning when he says "Meaning of life stuff," then looks over at her to see her reaction and she just blinks at him like "Whatever, Jack."
                        IMHO RDA is best at non-verbal acting as demonstrated in "MacGyver", here in this episode and later in "Lost City" and even in the shippy episodes like "Divide and Conquer" and "Threads" as he manages so convey so much with so little - a trait of the greatest actors...
                        I love this ep for that, too. Some people don't think RDA can play Jack in the third movie because he's a general and doesn't run around with a gun anymore, but that sells both RDA and Jack short, IMHO. This ep is proof of that.

I also like the way Jack seems almost philosophical there when he meets the Asgard. This is a side of Jack we almost never see. In fact, I wonder if we ever see it again? I just love that encounter, the music is perfect and what could be a totally hokey scene with the little grey men turns out to be rather profound!
                        Why did Major Castleman have to lead SG-1 instead of Sam if Jack was incapacitated as Sam already did so in "Spirits"?
                        I'm thinking it's because this mission is critical and also to a planet no one had been before. They'd been to the planet in Spirits, and it seemed like a lower-risk mission, to me.
                        I also think Sam started to realize that Jack might a lot smarter than she gave him credit if he managed to manipulate the Ancient knowledge to provide the schematics for repairing the DVD, help calculate new positions for the Stargates faster and eventually help himself get to the Asgards to get "healed"
                        Yes, she seemed pretty impressed by all that. But I think that Teal'c and Daniel were more personally affected by what was going on with Jack than she was. I don't know quite why that would be. There's just that little shot of her exchanging looks with Hammond when he comes back, and that's all.

In a lot of Season 2, Jack seems more distant from her than in season 1. But not in this ep- this time, it's Sam who's keeping her distance.
                        Last edited by VSS; 25 June 2009, 10:53 AM.

Comment

It's time for our regular reminder about the basic rules of the forum

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=64693
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/announcement.php?f=40

Derogatory terms are inappropriate, things like Spud, McIcky and others. This ties in with our 'no character/pairing bashing' rule.

When you quote pictures, snip out the IMG tags so that the quoted photo is nothing more than a link. If you quote a picture and leave the IMG tags intact, your post can be deleted.

Anything posted inline, gifs, images, ANYTHING must be less than 100K in file size. We have some threads that are so incredibly bogged down with oversized photos that people are literally avoiding the thread because they bog down on high speed.

Check the size of your sig. ALL sigs must take up a space of no more than 200 pixels tall, 700 wide and have a total file size of 50K or less. Folks, your sig should be a fun and SHORT little thing, not a dissertation on everything you like/dislike or every single website you've ever visited. And it certainly should not be larger than your average post.

The mods are gonna start lurking in the various wow and thunk threads. We see inappropriate posts, we're gonna delete them. If we continually have to remind people of the rules, we may look into restricting your posting.

Just take a look at your posts and what you've been doing. If you've been following the rules, you're gonna have nothing to worry about. If you've been bending them, then here's your chance to alter your posting styles.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask any mod.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Is Jack's real name John or Jonathan?
                            I think I've seen both at one time or another.

Comment

I believe its Jonathan J(ack) O'Neill.
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                                I believe its Jonathan J(ack) O'Neill.
                                That's what I always thought, until I saw his ID somewhere with John on it. Which actually would be a better choice because in the 1950's Jonathan was a very unusual name and John was really common, and now it's the reverse.

Comment

Working...
                                X