No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love your new avi, hlndncr! I noticed how you made Amanda's hair blonde!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
      Yes, I miss AT as a blond! It makes shippy artwork so much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
        So that was it! I was wondering how come she looked different and more like her SG-1 days.
        Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
          Very cool! I love podcasts and there just aren't enough Stargate podcasts. If there's any input on S/J you'd like from us shippers for your discussion just let us know. As I'm sure you've noticed, we lurve talking about Sam and Jack!
          Me too This is my fav thread on here and I always love the feedback when ever I post. I hope everyone likes what we are doing on the podcast and spreads the word. Besides the youtube tread please look for us on facebook and questions and comments are welcome and needed
          Mac Jackson
          Singer/Songwriter of
          "Harmony Constant"
          [email protected]
          myspace.com/harmonyconstant
          youtube.com/MacWJack
          Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
          http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Comment

Originally posted by Mac Jackson View Post
            Me too This is my fav thread on here and I always love the feedback when ever I post. I hope everyone likes what we are doing on the podcast and spreads the word. Besides the youtube tread please look for us on facebook and questions and comments are welcome and needed
            What name/title do we look for on FB?

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              What name/title do we look for on FB?
              The Podcast is named "The Never Gets Old Podcast and it's at youtube.com/macwjack

Mac Jackson
              Singer/Songwriter of
              "Harmony Constant"
              [email protected]
              myspace.com/harmonyconstant
              youtube.com/MacWJack
              Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
              http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Comment

I'm way behind on my review/ratings/ficlets for season 1. I'll try and catch up this week.
                I'm also playing catch-up at the moment. Here is my review The Nox over at my LJ (which I did a few days ago but forgot to link here - d'oh!):

The Nox

Will have the next couple of eps done shortly

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                I have several female friends in the military and my dad is friends with several women he worked with in the military, honestly? I felt like Sam was a caricature in that scene. I also felt like it was handled rather poorly overall. By that point, women have been serving for years and serving well. Are there issues with sexual harassment and men treating women in a different light? Of course, but I wouldn't have expected any of them to voice such things in front of General Hammond. (And really, have none of them served with women in their 15+ years each of service, highly unlikely).

Additionally, given that they were about to head over on the other side of the gate, who wouldn't want the person who understands the tech going along with you?

My issue isn't just with the line, which creates a cartoonish feminist that is insecure in her accomplishments, but with the scene in general which shows several officers behaving like buffoons in front of their commanding officer. I'm not taking umbrage that they have 'women issues' (because that's true in the real world), but that they clearly don't respect decorum.
                These are all the reasons I have a problem with that scene too. It's not that one line in particular that bothers me, but the way the whole thing plays out as a whole. It just wouldn't happen like that in reality; Hammon especially shouldn't have just sat back listening to all of that banter as it was all so unprofessional.

I got behind on my reviews and ratings. So just to catch up . . .

<snip>

And then of course we have the Furlings off at their commune getting high on space lettuce.

Brief Candle
                I don't want to say much about this episode because I think it actually gets worse with repeated viewing. I do like how hard the team fights to save Jack.

<snip>

My Rating:
                Overall-1 Dreadful (I am filled with a dread that I may see this episode again. I would journey to Mordor to throw this episode into the heart of Mount Doom where it was clearly forged.)
                Your reviews always manage to give me a giggle - loved that Furlings comment in particular! And I agree with Brief Candle being an awful episode. I finally watched it today for the first time in years just to do the review for the rewatch (which I'll be able to provide tomorrow), but I think the reason it's taken me so long is because I just didn't want to watch it to begin with...
                sigpic
                Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

Originally posted by Jolinar_of_Malkshur View Post
                  Your reviews always manage to give me a giggle - loved that Furlings comment in particular! And I agree with Brief Candle being an awful episode. I finally watched it today for the first time in years just to do the review for the rewatch (which I'll be able to provide tomorrow), but I think the reason it's taken me so long is because I just didn't want to watch it to begin with...
                  I won't lie, I cracked myself up with that one.

I'm having a hard time coming up with any ficlet ideas for these latest episodes because they just don't inspire me. So if anyone has little bunny somewhere, send it on my way.

Comment

Finally, my (slightly late!) Rewatch Ramblings for...

Brief Candle

Honestly, this mostly took so long to do because it's one of my least favourite episodes of all time. I don't think I'll ever choose to watch this one again!
                    sigpic
                    Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

Please forgive any spelling errors. I have no spell check!!

The Torment of Tantalus

Synopsis:
                      Dr. Daniel Jackson sees a video documenting classified experiments from 1945 in which the Stargate was actually activated and Ernest Littlefield, Catherine Langford's love was stranded alone on a planet for more than 50 years. SG-1, and Langford gate to the planet and are surprised to find Littlefield still alive.
                      *Summary from stargate wiki *

Favorite Lines:
                      O'neill: All right, basic survival training. We know what we have. What do we need?
                      Teal'c: We have the Stargate; we need the dial home device.
                      O'neill: Thank you Tealc!

Favorite Scenes:
                      When Sam side-steps out of the way when naked Ernest moves in to hug her. He winds up hugging Teal'c instead, who is not amused. This scene made me LOL.

An extremely rare smile from Jack when he sees Catherine Langford.

General Review:
                      This episode is not a favorite, but it is a must see for new Stargate viewers. A LOT of information is learned. When the Stargate was discovered in Giza, secret tests done by the government in 1945, and startling of all, the fact that they actually opened the gate and sent someone through. This someone is Ernest Littlefield, the fiance of Catherine Langford. She thought he died in a lab accident but instead he was stranded on an alient planet!

We also discover that there are other alien races out there who may not be evil like the Gou'ld. When Daniel finds the alien "United Nations", he's like a kid in a candy store and does not want to leave it. He refers to it as "meaning of life stuff". It surprised me that he was more than willing to stay there and possibly die trying to learn about everything and give up on his search of Sha're. Earnest and finally Jack convince him to come along. "No prize is worth obtaining if you can't share it."

The romance between Catherine and Ernest is sad and sweet. He spent fifty years with a hallucination of her who had forgiven him for his obsession with work, and she thought he was dead all this time. However, it is a testament to her love that she didn't marry anyone else. He uses the comparison of the Torment of Tantalus, the knowledge on the planet is everlasting, unending temptation and he was reaching for something that was unattainable.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this the first episode where Jack comes up with the basic solution that is right under all the smart people's noses? With no power crystals, why not use lightning to power the gate! Or as Jack says, the Ben Franklin thing.

Sam and Jack:
                      Not much! I hadn't seen this episode in a while and I honestly thought there was more S/J interaction. So I will blame fanfic author Gen Varel, who wrote a fanfic based on this episode, where Sam and Jack were stranded on the planet alone together. I automaticaly think of this fic when this episode is mentioned.

Jack pulls Sam away when the roof falls on the DHD. He has his arm around her when they get up after the tumble down the steps.

Favorite S/J interaction:
                      Carter: Where is Daniel?
                      O'neill: Ernest was showing him a new toy.
                      Carter: Really, what?
                      O'neill: Some fancy light show that may be the key to our existence, or something like that.
                      Jack then places his hand on the DHD very close to hers.
                      O'neill: Want to pick up the pace on that a little bit?

Fanfic reference:
                      Lonely Together by Gen Varel. Here is her page on Sam and Jack net.
                      http://www.samandjack.net/fanfics/vi...=706&offset=25
                      The fic is NC-17, but the author has a warning at the beginning of each chatper that has gutter scenes, so you can skip over them if that's not your thing. She has an illustrator named Amiga who had some cool manips done up for almost every chapter.

Comment

Great job -thanks, Lucy!!

I think the line that surprisingly stayed with me the most and made me misty-eyed (hindsight is 20/20), was when Sam said to Catherine:

(manip by mala -quote inserted by me)

...because it takes J/S so long to see their relationship realized, and some would consider them 'old' by the time it happens (Jack's hair has grayed, etc)...

I'm a romantic idiot, aren't I?
                        sigpic
                        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

That was a great line SaraB!!! It fits Sam & Jack perfectly!

Comment

Catherine and Ernest.

The epitome of angst...

Maybe I need to ship them *snort*

JUST KIDDING.

So many of the early episodes feel clunky. This one had a lot of potential - ugh, the loneliness for so long!

Comment

I have no time to comment right now, but Sara will like this.

Comment

^^ guh!

ah...yes!

I'm gonna keep bringing the schedule forward every couple of pages unless you guys make me stop:

So here is the official season 1 rewatch schedule:

31st August - Children of the Gods (SGSuzi)
                                7th September - The Enemy Within (Meredithe5)
                                14th September - Emancipation (SaraBahama)
                                19th September - The Broca Divide (Brendini)
                                24th September - The First Commandment (Hlndncr)
                                29th September - Cold Lazarus (sueKay)
                                4th October - The Nox (Meredithe5)
                                9th October - Brief Candle (Hedwig)
                                14th October - Thor's Hammer (Hlndncr)
                                19th October - The Torment of Tantalus (Lucycat)
                                24th October - Bloodlines (Lt. Colonel John Sheppard)
                                29th October - Fire and Water (SGSuzi)
                                3rd November - Hathor (Meredithe5)
                                8th November - Singularity (SaraBahama)
                                13th November - Cor-ai (Lt. Colonel John Sheppard)
                                18th November - Enigma (Hlndncr)
                                23rd November - Solitudes (SGSuzi)
                                28th November - Tin Man (Brendini)
                                3rd December - There But for the Grace of God (SGSuzi)
                                8th December - Politics (Part 1 Meredithe5) Within the Serpent's Grasp (Part 2 Lt. Colonel John Sheppard)

...we're still discussing Torment of Tantalus, and LCJS only has 4 more days to prep for Bloodlines.

I love the continuity of the character of Catherine -completely from the movie on through. I wish they had used her more often and explored the mentor/colleague bond between her and Daniel and her and Sam...such a rich well of info to draw from *sigh*.
                                sigpic
                                sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                                "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X