Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post

Haylee to add spoiler tags surround the text you want hidden with spoiler written in bracketts like this (minus the spaces):

[ spoiler ] Hide this text. [ /spoiler ]

It will look like this:

Spoiler:
    Hide this text.

Now my lunch break is over and it is back to work.
    Thank you!!!
    sigpic

I had not intended to love him; the reader knows I had wrought hard to extirpate from my soul the germs of love there detected; and now, at first renewed view of him, they spontaneously revived, green and strong! He made me love him without looking at me. - Jane Eyre

Comment

What Nynaeve said!

fems I think you are watching Bizaro!Castle because what you describe is nothing like what I see.

Spoiler:
      I've been watching the show from the beginning and have loved the C/B dynamic. I also don't like cop dramas. To me Castle is to crime drama what Stargate is to sci fi. They don't take themselves too seriously. It was never meant to be about the mysteries or solving the crime, that's just the back drop and they go out of their way to make it as weird or absurd as possible. The creators have said that they wanted a crime procedural that was about the characters. They started with Castle and Beckett and then have fleshed out the other characters more and more as the seasons went forward.

From the beginning the creators have intended for Castle and Beckett to be together. Like I said, they have a long term plan for the evolution and eventual resolution of the relationship.

When I mentioned maturity I was referring to handling of the ship. You see the series creator is happily married to one of the main writers (a stable, happy relationship is a rare thing in Hollywood) and they are drawing on their own experiences.

As for the characters, Castle does start out very immature. That's part of his charm and a necessary part of his journey. He didn't start out with the intention to fall in love, and now that he has he is trying to grow up (just not too much). Beckett is a woman who is strong and confident and an expert at everything she does, except relationships. Because of the tragedy she endured losing her mother she hides in nowhere relationships with men she doesn't love. She's a long-time Castle fan so she knows his reputation and has never wanted to be in love with him. She's fighting it because she doesn't entirely trust him to be the man she can really depend on and she doesn't trust herself to let down her walls and embrace a true relationship. Both characters have very real flaws and baggage that hampers their ability to have a happy relationship, but they are growing and learning from one another. Being together is making each one better and that's what a good relationship should do.

I love it!

And now I must go prepare a lesson for my dance class tomorrow night or I will have a dozen poeple standing around a silent ballroom for two hours and they won't be very happy with me about that.

Last edited by hlndncr; 04 October 2011, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
        It was because of the team that I started watching SG1. I knew nothing at all about "ships" at the time; not even when I started browsing around GW. I couldn't figure out what all the comments about "ships" were, since I didn't remember any boats being in any of the episodes. Then when I found out what it meant and what people were so involved with I started seeing the "ship" part. Even before finding out what "ship" meant, though, I could see the chemistry/bond between Sam and Jack.
        Same here, hedwig!

D&C convinced me of Jack's feelings (there were several other eps, too), but 'Grace' cinched it for me on Sam's feelings. Once I saw 'Grace', there was no stopping me.

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
        i get a kick out of reading 'i like the way the ship was done, i don't 'need' confirmation', and then add at the end, 'but i wouldn't have turned down a big kiss or comment that they were together'.
        you're either happy with the non confirmation or you're not!
        I'm a little bipolar on this, too, Sal.
        I wanted it.

Desperately.

I was actually kinda depressed when I watched S9 & 10 and couldn't figure out how they could have gotten together since Jack didn't retire...but then (as Haylee pointed out below)...I came to GW and all you wonderful people showed me places where it could have been possible for them to get together without compromising the regs and their ethics.

But, though I haven't gotten confirmation, I am not entirely crushed and hopeless.

I would still desire...nay, demand confirmation if the 3rd movie idea suddenly ressurected, but if we never see another Stargate film J/S will continue to live happily together in my head (remember...I have a big backyard for them there, Sal -lol).

Originally posted by HayleeDex View Post
        My thoughts exactly!! For me, season 8 was the happy ending. I was satisfied with it. Then season 9 and 10 came along and I almost lost all hope
        Thank goodness for all you wonderful shippers and your threads that have totally reassured me!
        Same here, Haylee (see my note above). The shippers here made it all bearable for me.
        sigpic
        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
          i get a kick out of reading 'i like the way the ship was done, i don't 'need' confirmation', and then add at the end, 'but i wouldn't have turned down a big kiss or comment that they were together'.

you're either happy with the non confirmation or you're not!
          Um. No. I really AM happy with the show, but of course I wouldn't turn down more. It's like I really enjoy my homemade chili (delicious!) but I wouldn't turn down some yummy cornbread. It's extra, it would definitely ADD something, but it doesn't take away that it isn't there.

So please, let's remember that life isn't so black and white.

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
            Um. No. I really AM happy with the show, but of course I wouldn't turn down more. It's like I really enjoy my homemade chili (delicious!) but I wouldn't turn down some yummy cornbread. It's extra, it would definitely ADD something, but it doesn't take away that it isn't there.

Very true, although on the other hand I really like my homemade lasagna but I wouldn't order it in a restaurant (because my own is awesome already, I'd rather pick something else)...

But I agree; this way there are so many fanfic opportunities and stories to be told for when and how Sam and Jack got together, without it being wrong/inaccurate because it happened so and so in the show. Still, it would be nice to just see them with a ring around their dogtags or something (which we obviously would only get to see in certain circumstances... ).
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

In SGU, when they are talking via vid screen, it would have been nice to simply see matching wedding bands. Nothing would have had to have been verbalized.

I could have lived with that.

OT:
              Spoiler:
              Pol says to pass on her hello's to the group. She's promised another Campfire this month.
              sigpic
              sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
              "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post

for me, i ask 'are sam and jack together?'. my answer is 'maybe, prob, not sure'.

for me, i don't want to guess and be left hanging, i want indisputable proof *for myself* that they're together.

let's remember that this isn't life, but just a tv show, which *can* be told in black and white.

but hey, if you're happy with the grey and i'm wanting the black and white, more power to us, right?
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Well, I'm behind on the re-watch, but I am plugging along in season 2. A lot of great episodes, and wonderful interactions between Sam and Jack. You can tell how close they are becoming as friends and comrades... this (imo) creates a solid foundation for their lasting relationship. And, RDA is so very hot!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
                    Well, I'm behind on the re-watch, but I am plugging along in season 2. A lot of great episodes, and wonderful interactions between Sam and Jack. You can tell how close they are becoming as friends and comrades... this (imo) creates a solid foundation for their lasting relationship. And, RDA is so very hot!
                    Season 2 is a great one! And RDA's grey hair is coming in during it, which I admit to being very partial to

And as for the 'am I happy with the conclusion of the show or not' discussion, I never meant to imply that I was in any way dissatisfied with SG-1. If I wasn't a huge fan and completely happy with the overall show, I wouldn't be here discussing it years after the fact. Though I wouldn't have been opposed to verbal confirmation Sam and Jack's relationship throughout the series is still, hands down, my favorite coupling in television history =]
                    sigpic

I had not intended to love him; the reader knows I had wrought hard to extirpate from my soul the germs of love there detected; and now, at first renewed view of him, they spontaneously revived, green and strong! He made me love him without looking at me. - Jane Eyre

Comment

Originally posted by HayleeDex View Post
                      Season 2 is a great one! And RDA's grey hair is coming in during it, which I admit to being very partial to

And as for the 'am I happy with the conclusion of the show or not' discussion, I never meant to imply that I was in any way dissatisfied with SG-1. If I wasn't a huge fan and completely happy with the overall show, I wouldn't be here discussing it years after the fact. Though I wouldn't have been opposed to verbal confirmation Sam and Jack's relationship throughout the series is still, hands down, my favorite coupling in television history =]
                      ...and agreed, Haylee!
                      sigpic
                      sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Favorite S/J moments from recent S2 episodes I watched

Spirits: "Sam, first command?" Yes Sir. Cool!

Touchstone: Their easy silent communication when ambushing the warehouse.

Matter of Time: Sam explaining wormhole theory and Jack looking adorably befuddled.

Fifth Race: Jack's look of worry when watching video of Sam trapped on the burning planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
                          Favorite S/J moments from recent S2 episodes I watched
                          Spirits: "Sam, first command?" Yes Sir. Cool!
                          Touchstone: Their easy silent communication when ambushing the warehouse.
                          Matter of Time: Sam explaining wormhole theory and Jack looking adorably befuddled.
                          Fifth Race: Jack's look of worry when watching video of Sam trapped on the burning planet.

Such joy in such a compact post *sigh*

Out of Mind:
                          When they tell Jack that the team was killed. GAH! On how many levels did that rip out his soul and steal his sanity? All of them are friends, and it's seemed that he's been in denial of some growing feelings for Sam that have taken 'friendship' to a whole new level. As their leader, and with the 'we don't leave people behind' convictions Jack has, it must feel like failure: he failed to protect them...I see self blame working on him also.

When they tell Sam that the team is dead, she give a small, strangled cry -an almost imperceptible crack in the Carter armor. Again, I try to remember that she loves Daniel and Teal'c also, and their deaths would pierce her savagely. But the shippy glasses do see a Jack-shaped hole in her heart...

When Jack finds her -relief. Sam's reaction is less restrained because of the sedation they've been giving her -the way her hand cradles his shoulder and her gaze is (forgive the pun) naked and open. She's pretty unguarded at that moment "I thought you were dead."

The humor of Jack being...distracted...by her unclothed-but-modestly-covered-by-blanket state makes me smirk. *what were we doing? oh, yeah...escaping...sorry, got distracted*

Into the Fire:
                          She looks away momentarily as he's invaded by the symbiote.
                          She goes back for him (does anyone believe that her primary objective was the destruction of the generator?).
                          She finds that he's not blended (thank you spidey sense).
                          He awakens to find Hathor in the process of killing her. The protector in him charges out like a roaring lion.
                          What must he have thought watching her slump to the ground? his reaction when he picks her up indicates that he's not sure if he's too late.
                          Longest. Hug. Ever. *double sigh*

**I confess here that I backed up the Netflix and watched it AGAIN.

Seth:
                          "Hail, Dorothy" -the look of pain and turmoil on her face when Jack says this. She's not comfortable with what she's done, and knowing he witnessed it has left her disturbed. It seems to disturb her more than it does him. I like this ep more for the Carter family interaction than the ship.

I'm a little behind, so I'll catch up on the other eps tomorrow.
                          sigpic
                          sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Fair Game:
                            Jack is so proud during Sam's promotion. This is wonderful on multiple levels: he's her CO, he's her friend, and he's realizing that he's developing feelings for her. He's just so proud -she deserves this.

When she trys to heal Cronus, he is hovering in the background, trying to remind her that she may be having difficulty because the 'Jolinar' part of her may not want to heal him, since he is the one that ordered Jolinar's assassination. She snaps a little -reminds him that Jolinar is not controlling her, but he responds calmly "Just saying."

Otherwise not particularly shippy.

Legacy:

not a lot of ship here either -Sam trying to save Jack and Janet after they are infested with Machello's weapons.

Learning Curve:
                            The banter when Sam an Merrin think that working on the reactor is 'fun.'
                            Jack's look when Merrin implies that he is not as smart as Sam -and he agrees.
                            Jack waking her up after she fell asleep in her lab (made me laugh all over again).
                            Sam's glances at Jack in the control room as Merrin is about to go back to Orban -I can't help but think she knows this must be killing him, with his own history of losing Charlie.
                            sigpic
                            sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Watched Bane and Holiday today. Great line in Bane...
                              (to hammond about Mayborne): Permission to beat the crap out if this man, sir.

Holiday... I found myself wondering what happened to the machine. Were they able to turn it off or find a way to prevent it from transferring anyone else? You'd think that would be a dangerous thing to have fall into the wrong hands!

Comment

Well, just realized that I haven't ever seen the episode "One False Step"! Watched it tonight on the DVD set Hedwig sent me... (THANKS AGAIN HEDWIG!!)

The episode was a bit slow and those (bald, white naked) guys were pretty odd. Jack and Sam weren't in it much together, though there was a scene early on where Jack was about to tell Sam not to bother with the plant but she told him otherwise and he went along with it.

Good Jack/Daniel character development. Daniel did go a bit over the top a few times (and I am sorry, I do not like his long hair... so glad when he has the shorter hair is season 3). I did LOL when he did the airplane charade with the aliens, though.

And I've said it before, but it deserves repeating. Jack (RDA) is sooooooo beautiful to behold. I paused the DVD a few times just to stare and *sigh*.

Favorite Line:
                                "Witness if you will....squat."

Comment

Working...
                                X