Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
    what's this upcoming episodes? isn't it Prophecy, Full Circle, Fallen, Homecoming, Fragile Balance?
    Yep!

Anyone want to summerize & discuss any of these? We don't have to do it today...we could do it during the week.
    sigpic
    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
      Yep!

Anyone want to summerize & discuss any of these? We don't have to do it today...we could do it during the week.
      I just started Season 4 on my personal re-watch... very far behind! But I'll jump ahead to one of the others if we want to have a discussion!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
        I just started Season 4 on my personal re-watch... very far behind! But I'll jump ahead to one of the others if we want to have a discussion!
        I meant to watch Paradise Lost last week but didn't. (Bad shipper!)

But I will say that we often talk about Teal'c noticing Sam's distress, but I think Hammond is also very clued in.

He has noticed the feelings between them before when he obliquely confronts Jack in Entity.

He had to have received a report from Dr. Lee (it's mentioned in Inaugruation - S7), Sam is arguing to rebuild a satelite in orbit around the planet, and she's practically in tears in the controlroom when the Tok'ra report no luck after flying over the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
          what's this upcoming episodes? isn't it Prophecy, Full Circle, Fallen, Homecoming, Fragile Balance?
          Does anyone want to pick one of these and review it for us? I haven't rewatched any of them yet!
          sigpic
          sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
          "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

I must say, considering the number of introductory, informative, orienting and minatory threads on this site, let alone the number of threads necessary to bring one up to speed on what has already been posted, one's first post is a bit intimidating! I think I had to prepare for this more intensively than I am for my doctoral exams!

For now I'll just say a quick hello. I've been reading over this thread, and am impressed by everyone's dedication to exploring and understanding this ship. I'm particularly engrossed in the re-watch summaries and analyses—there's a lot of penetrating and thoughtful insight here.

It's given me a lot to think about, and I'm still deciding what I think the s/j 'falling in love' timeline was, but once I get through more of the thread I might have some additions of my own to make.

Whew, got through The First Post!

Comment

Originally posted by LordManhammer View Post
              I must say, considering the number of introductory, informative, orienting and minatory threads on this site, let alone the number of threads necessary to bring one up to speed on what has already been posted, one's first post is a bit intimidating! I think I had to prepare for this more intensively than I am for my doctoral exams!

For now I'll just say a quick hello. I've been reading over this thread, and am impressed by everyone's dedication to exploring and understanding this ship. I'm particularly engrossed in the re-watch summaries and analyses—there's a lot of penetrating and thoughtful insight here.

It's given me a lot to think about, and I'm still deciding what I think the s/j 'falling in love' timeline was, but once I get through more of the thread I might have some additions of my own to make.

Congratulations on your first post! Very well done.

Please feel free to share your thoughts and comments any time. Thoughts and ideas from newbies helps generate more discussion and opens up new avenues to consider.

For example, you bring up and excellent question with many possible perspectives.

So what do you say fellow shippers? When did Jack and Sam fall in love?

I think there was attraction from the very beginning. Solitudes created a bond and a closeness. From there it grew into love. I believe Jack fell first. His intense reaction to loosing Sam in ITLOD tells me he was already gone; although I doubt he realized it yet. Sam fell in love with Jack more gradually. She was well in love by 100 Days, which I think was her first realization that her heart was spoken for.

After that there were many ups and downs, but no matter how they might have tried to hide it or move past it I think Sam and Jack were permanently in love.

Comment

Welcome!! Hope you have a good time here.

Don't forget come by on Valenship on Saturday, February 18th.

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                Congratulations on your first post! Very well done.

Please feel free to share your thoughts and comments any time. Thoughts and ideas from newbies helps generate more discussion and opens up new avenues to consider.

For example, you bring up and excellent question with many possible perspectives.

I think there was attraction from the very beginning. Solitudes created a bond and a closeness. From there it grew into love. I believe Jack fell first. His intense reaction to loosing Sam in ITLOD tells me he was already gone; although I doubt he realized it yet. Sam fell in love with Jack more gradually. She was well in love by 100 Days, which I think was her first realization that her heart was spoken for.

After that there were many ups and downs, but no matter how they might have tried to hide it or move past it I think Sam and Jack were permanently in love.
                I am in perfect agreement with your reading of the / timeline.
                No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Welcome, LordManhammer!

In this case, my opinion is pretty much in line with what's already posted. The bottom line is: = SO MARRIED.

Before I was kinda like "they won't marry until one or both gets out of the military, regardless of who's in whose COC..."

But then I started writing Strangers, and then I was like "pft. yeah right. That ship's totally sailed."

Comment

Watched OTHER SIDE today.
                    SHIP (IMO)
                    Jack's comment... "Carter, didn't I tell you to get a life?"

After they realized the thumps on the iris were people, Jack reassures Sam... "It's not your fault" and it looked (to me) like he put his hand on her shoulder, even though it wasn't in the shot.

When faced with techno-talk he didn't understand, Jack turned to Sam for and explanation, "Carter?"

Mad at Daniel, Jack barked at Sam.... and Sam, in turn, talked to him softly, trying to calm his temper. When Daniel wanted to ask questions she quietly intervened to tell him General Hammond agreed.

Heavy angst at the end when Jack closed the iris... was Sam upset with Jack for killing the leader of a civilization of nazi-like fanatics? I'd like to think she understood why he did it (she is military after all) but at what price to his soul?

Comment

Heavy angst at the end when Jack closed the iris... was Sam upset with Jack for killing the leader of a civilization of nazi-like fanatics? I'd like to think she understood why he did it (she is military after all) but at what price to his soul?
                      I like the way you put that. I think a lot of Sam's troubled look at the end was concern for the darkness that would invade Jack's soul for such an act and there was nothing she could do for him.

Comment

SHIP (IMO)
                        Jack's comment... "Carter, didn't I tell you to get a life?"
                        Jack would later eat that words when he found out about sam and pete.

Comment

I like the way you put that. I think a lot of Sam's troubled look at the end was concern for the darkness that would invade Jack's soul for such an act and there was nothing she could do for him.
                          Actually, I read that look a different way. It's a look that tells me Sam is fully aware of how dark an act it was-- and she understands why it was done. She accepts it-- maybe even realizes that she might have made the same choice. And there's a part of her that's stunned at the realization, and an equal part that's wondering how much the Stargate is affecting them in such a dark way.

The wonders of the Stargate are immediate-- stepping off one planet and onto another in less than a minute, new constellations on each planet, space travel that shows them limitless stars and an endless universe. But they only seem to get the drawbacks in small doses, in instances that smack them in the face and make them realize how much they've changed. Along with the wonders they get situations that make them examine their own humanity, and witness the effects of their decisions (both within themselves, and in regards to the rest of the galaxy).

This was a rare moment that Sam was forced to examine her morals and ethics. Fighting the Goa'uld is an easy decision. they want to kill us, they're parasitic mites with delusions of grandeur who've been enslaving the galaxy for centuries. Same with the Ori later on.

But this... this wasn't so black and white. Did they have all the facts? Did they have the right to pass judgement on a culture so entrenched in racial fear? Why not try to rehabilitate them? Why not point out the errors of their ways, as they've been doing with the Goa'uld worlds?

I'm sure Sam sat and wondered about it for hours, only to come back with the same realization she had in the gateroom. It was the right decision. And that scared the crap out of her.

Comment

Welcome, Probie! Nice post. Don't let any of the discussion intimidate you -you shouldn't wait to add your contribution...everyone is on an equal playing field here, and as hlndncr said, newbies bring fresh perspective and rekindles wonderful discussion.

One of the beautiful things about them is the complicated nature of their relationship: we have an earned mutual respect, a trust built between them professionally, a friendship that blossoms slowly and naturally, and finally an attraction that transcends the physical (the friendship, with its warm emotions, almost masks the growing attraction).

I agree that Jack fell first.

Something happened in 'Solitudes': the impending threat of death does tend to break down barriers.
                            The rest of that season, you can see Jack reacting to her, but it's slow and subtle.
                            Of course, Jack's discovery that AU Sam and Jack were engaged ("It's theoretically possible") seemed to open up thoughts and possibilites that he had not previously considered seriously.

As far as really coming face to face with their feelings (and confessing them...even if only to themselves): Jack in 'Divide and Conquer' and Sam in 'Grace.'

SHIP (IMO)
                            Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                            Actually, I read that look a different way. It's a look that tells me Sam is fully aware of how dark an act it was-- and she understands why it was done. She accepts it-- maybe even realizes that she might have made the same choice. And there's a part of her that's stunned at the realization, and an equal part that's wondering how much the Stargate is affecting them in such a dark way.
                            I think Sam was partially stunned that Alar actually followed them after he was warned not to. I agree that she came face to face with what it meant to make tough decisions, and nice observation on her concern for Jack's heart/soul. I confess that I thought that when watching him stare at her.
                            sigpic
                            sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

what's on the agenda for stargate rewatch this week:
                              is it Orpheus, Revisions, Lifeboat, Enemy Mine, and Avenger 2.0?

Comment

/sneaks in

Sometimes I peruse this thread and I saw something S4 related. And I loved that season.
                                (Come on, we got Apophis being awesome, Replicators, Asgard, Tanith (or "Slimeface" or "Girlfriend Killer" as I call him), WoO, Osiris' emergence, Teal'c and Jack being TOTAL BROS ALL SEASON, and let's face it, no shortage of S/J moments. I'm not even that big on the whole ship thing and I still melted during "Beneath the Surface".)

Anyways.
                                Going to throw in my two cents about "The Other Side". I watched this episode over and over primarily because of Rene Auberjonois (squee!) and that last scene never fails to get me. It's one of those things where the whole production staff really leaves it up to the viewer's interpretation. But I wouldn't underestimate, at that moment when Carter looks at Jack, how shocked she is by his decision. I'd say it's more that than anything else right then. This was my personal reaction after watching:
                                Originally posted by My Blog
                                Well.
                                I can’t believe they took the actor of my favourite Star Trek character EVER, Odo from Deep Space Nine, and put him into the role of a racist, very Nazi-like character fighting a cruel war. I’m still not all that okay with O’Neill’s decision to close the iris on him as he supposedly jumped through, but… I don’t know. Alar didn’t like Teal’c. That was pretty bad in my book.
                                Of course at the time I was much more concerned with the whole why is everyone always so mean to Teal'c?! thing but on the S/J front it was just as significant. Perhaps Carter was seeing a side of this man she had grown so fond of that she thought was either buried or perhaps not existing to such an extent. I wouldn't call it earth-shattering, per se, but certainly... jarring. Perhaps unnerving.

I also like was said about her realizing that Jack would have to live with that decision and that it would - undoubtedly - haunt him. I never really thought of it like that before... but that's why I like this thread. You all really do give a lot of insight into the series, beyond just the Carter/O'Neill relationship. (: So, kudos.

Oh, and this is kind of OT but at the end of my blog I wrote a little tag to the episode. It focuses on Jack (and Teal'c, because my life just revolves around him) but... um... it's right here if anyone wants to take a gander.

(...And I realize at this moment, this is my first post in this thread. Whoopee?)
                                Last edited by CMWriter; 05 February 2012, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X