Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muziqaz View Post
    Also Sams 'Sir' is like a dagger through my heart.
    If in that particular moment she would have shouted 'Jack' it would have gone great with her emotional shock in the ship after they travelled back to the ship. And that would have been a definite answer for this question if they are together, at least for me It would have been subtle and not pushing. But oh well
    Muzi - SO AGREED!! ACK!

@ TPTB:
    It's not like Sam hasn't cried out "JACK!" before in extremely desperate situations *cough*Lost City*cough* It wouldn't even have been interpreted as shippy to those fans who don't 'ship -it would have been interpreted by them as friend/comrade in extreme distress.

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
    There's only one thing we have to agree on here and that is that + = .
    And if you don't believe that, well you really are sick in the head! (Not just for not seeing the ship, but also subjecting yourself to the likes of us!)
    Oh yeah, and . . . SAM.

Somebody who doesn't 'ship and wanders around this thread would have to be seriously masochistic...

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
    Tok'ra part 1 and 2: Best thing about these episodes, imo, is Jacob Carter. He's awesome! Loved all the scenes with him and Sam, as well as Sharosh (Selmack). I felt the same way about Marty as when I first saw these episodes many years ago... he gave me a creepy vibe. He was luring Sam in by using the feelings Jolinar left within her. I am glad she backed off, and Daniel popped up when he did. Some good Sam/Jack moments, but I agree with a comment made previously... there is no way in heck Jack would leave Sam behind. He is responsible for the safety of his team, but he could have sent Daniel and Teal'c with Makepeace and stayed with Sam. Don't know why it was written that way, except to add suspense and possibly try to strengthen Sam's connection with Martof (blah).

It didn't work, of course, because loves with her own true feelings, not from phantom memories conjured by an unwelcomed snake.
    *applauds LUCY*
    I'm so glad that Carmen played the role of Jacob -all the way through. He became someone to look forward to in guest apperances, and it's so neat that by 'Threads',

(spoilered for the newbies who haven't seen the end of S8, and don't want to know):
    Spoiler:
    his character's death

provoked an emotional reaction in AT as an actress...it really added depth to the scene in 'Threads'.
    sigpic
    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

I actually like the fact that she says "Sir" instead of Jack because it's her first instinct and her "Sir" is so ingrained from the years they've worked together that she even calls him "Sir" in her own head (Grace).
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Shippy bits -for me:

Touchstone:
        Well, not a lot of overt ship, but my glasses are pretty strong. I love the silent communication when they are raiding the Utah facility...so in synch in the field.

A Matter of Time:
        The apple/worm discussion at the beginning -I can't shake the feeling that since the man is obviously intelligent (he has to have advanced degrees to have acheived this rank), his almost excessive 'dense act' is simply a moment of quiet flirting with Sam.
        Jack's pride in Sam thoughout -him telling Cromwell that she is "way smarter"; such a reversal from him having "a little problem with scientists" in CotG. The look on her face when she and Teal'c are pulling Jack to safety.

The Fifth Race:
        Did anybody else note that after she checked Jack's pulse (once the repository released him), she laid her hand along his face/neck rather superfluously?
        I wonder what was going through his fron when Sam was trapped offworld?
        Was there room in there for shippy thoughts with all that ancient knowledge?

Serpent's Grasp:
        I got nuthin'...yet.
        I do wonder if Jack found out about Apophis saying Sam would make an excellent host for Sokar's queen.
        Last edited by SaraBahama; 01 October 2011, 08:51 PM.
        sigpic
        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Getting caught up on my rewatch.

One False Step

I hate this episode for so many reasons, not the least of which is the almost complete absence of ship.

We do see the delight Sam and Jack both share in flying (even small remote controlled air craft) when they are using the UAV in the beginning.

I like that when they get to where the UAV crashed Jack tries to order Sam to do something and she basically steers him into giving her the order she wants (to collect samples from the plants). He's so whipped.

Jack sends Sam back to the SGC to get her injured hand checked.

At the end he hands Sam her weapon.

None of this is particularly shippy but to make this episode even remotely bearable I have to see it in that light.

Comment

Show and Tell

There is really no ship at all in this episode.

I do think that Jack is absolutely adorable with kids. I'm sure that melts Sam's heart as much as it does mine.

We also see some of Jack's inner turmoil when dealing with Retu!Charlie. I think if Charlie hadn't been so ill, Jack would have seriously considered becoming his dad. It's one of the reasons why I think he might struggle a little at first if Sam became pregnant (after they're together of course), but he would not be unhappy to be a father again.

Comment

This is a fun episode, despite the continuing dearth of ship. Sam and Jack have some nice interaction, and I do love the scene where they are sitting together so closely by the campfire.

Why is it always Jack and Teal'c together when there's a telescope. It would be such a great Jack and Sam thing to do. I like to think their first date involved stargazing (as well as gazing of other kinds).

Comment

speaking of star-gazing, what do you happened to jack's telescope? did he give it to carter when he moved away to D.C. to take command of Homeworld Command (Nee Security)?

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                  speaking of star-gazing, what do you happened to jack's telescope? did he give it to carter when he moved away to D.C. to take command of Homeworld Command (Nee Security)?
                  Nope...it's in the upstairs bedroom of their house in DC...waiting for those clear nights when Jack takes it out onto the upper deck he's had built just for this. The two of them (when they're both home at the same time) enjoy their mutual hobby together. Jack is the one who finds pleasure in manually adjusting the telescope -if it were up to Sam, she would have attached a device to auto adjust and tied it into the computer in the house, but Jack just likes the 'old way' of doing things.

I see her sitting in front of the telescope, with Jack wrapped around her, taking turns looking through the eyepiece and entering observations into the laptop...

sigpic
                  sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                    Nope...it's in the upstairs bedroom of their house in DC...waiting for those clear nights when Jack takes it out onto the upper deck he's had built just for this. The two of them (when they're both home at the same time) enjoy their mutual hobby together. Jack is the one who finds pleasure in manually adjusting the telescope -if it were up to Sam, she would have attached a device to auto adjust and tied it into the computer in the house, but Jack just likes the 'old way' of doing things.

I see her sitting in front of the telescope, with Jack wrapped around her, taking turns looking through the eyepiece and entering observations into the laptop...

Uhmm... if their place is actually in DC, and not in the periphery of NoVa or maryland, then that telescope ain't doing jack. (pardon the pun )

Light pollution is a b**** over here. Trust me. And that's just in the burbs. Head into the capital where the monument lights are on all night, and there's air traffic and regular traffic and light off the river... I seriously doubt they'd get anything more than the big dipper.

But then again, if it's a symbolic thing, or simply something they can share, and snuggle up behind, then it's all good

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                      Uhmm... if their place is actually in DC, and not in the periphery of NoVa or maryland, then that telescope ain't doing jack. (pardon the pun )
                      Light pollution is a b**** over here. Trust me. And that's just in the burbs. Head into the capital where the monument lights are on all night, and there's air traffic and regular traffic and light off the river... I seriously doubt they'd get anything more than the big dipper.
                      But then again, if it's a symbolic thing, or simply something they can share, and snuggle up behind, then it's all good
                      Selene -I was afraid that would be a problem. The locale I picked out for their 'house' is in NoVA -backed up to Difficult Run Stream Valley Park. Not sure if that is periphery enough to see ANYTHING, but I was trying to think it though and put them (esp. Jack) it a place that didn't feel so 'hemmed in' by the city.

a little OT:
                      Spoiler:
                      One of the things I love about having moved from Louisville, KY to the mountains of SW VA, is that up here you have and awesome view of the stars with the naked eye -we're thinking about getting a telescope.
                      sigpic
                      sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                        Getting caught up on my rewatch.

One False Step

I hate this episode for so many reasons, not the least of which is the almost complete absence of ship.
                        Interesting point. See I quite like this episode. It's not a classic, or one of my favourites, but it's also not one I just watch for the sake of completeness. I like the character moments in it. Daniel and Jack fighting, Sam talking to her plants, Janet off world, Janet and Sam interacting etc. I also like the fact that the aliens are very alien (not getting into the dodgy costumes here), as is their relationship with the flora on the planet and the use of sound as the problem.

How many people here watch for the ship first and the scifi second? I like ship with my scifi, but not so much scifi with my ship. I primarily watch Stargate because it is scifi, albeit with some excellent characters, character interaction and drama - these are the things that kept me watching the show. I wouldn't have stopped watching it if there was no ship, in fact the badly handled ship in the later seasons (Daniel and Vala in particular) was one of the things that put me off the show. For me the Sam/Jack ship is the icing on the cake. It did become more important to me as it became more established as the show progressed, but lack of it, particularly in the early seasons, was not a factor that influenced my enjoyment of an episode or not. That being said, I did feel that the Sam/Jack shippers got a very bad deal in the last couple of seasons/movies and other SG series. The lack of resolution for the pair, when other pairings were being shoved down our throats in a fairly heavy handed manner was, IMO, disgraceful, particularly considering the way spoilers were being given out hinting at shipper friendly plots/character moments which then never materialised!
                        The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

Comment

Originally posted by Kunoichi View Post
                          Interesting point. See I quite like this episode. It's not a classic, or one of my favourites, but it's also not one I just watch for the sake of completeness. I like the character moments in it. Daniel and Jack fighting, Sam talking to her plants, Janet off world, Janet and Sam interacting etc. I also like the fact that the aliens are very alien (not getting into the dodgy costumes here), as is their relationship with the flora on the planet and the use of sound as the problem.

How many people here watch for the ship first and the scifi second? I like ship with my scifi, but not so much scifi with my ship. I primarily watch Stargate because it is scifi, albeit with some excellent characters, character interaction and drama - these are the things that kept me watching the show. I wouldn't have stopped watching it if there was no ship, in fact the badly handled ship in the later seasons (Daniel and Vala in particular) was one of the things that put me off the show. For me the Sam/Jack ship is the icing on the cake. It did become more important to me as it became more established as the show progressed, but lack of it, particularly in the early seasons, was not a factor that influenced my enjoyment of an episode or not. That being said, I did feel that the Sam/Jack shippers got a very bad deal in the last couple of seasons/movies and other SG series. The lack of resolution for the pair, when other pairings were being shoved down our throats in a fairly heavy handed manner was, IMO, disgraceful, particularly considering the way spoilers were being given out hinting at shipper friendly plots/character moments which then never materialised!
                          I so agree with the bolded part!

As for your question, it's not just the absence of ship that I dislike about this episode, but the lack makes it almost irredeemable in my eyes. I find the pace slow, the aliens annoying, and the character moments repetative. (And Sam looks like gumby in that awful surgical gown!)

Other episodes with no ship in them are still very enjoyable to me. For example the following episode, Show and Tell, has virtually no S/J interaction whatsoever. (They are hardly even in the same shot together.) But I like the story. I get to see Jacob again (YAY!). As I pointed out before, Jack with children - ADORABLE! I guess I just prefer human interaction to alien weirdness.

My enjoyment of any show is strongly influenced by shippiness. I find I'm not attracted to a show without a compelling ship element. I get bored with it and won't stick around. This is true for me of any genre. I want good stories and great characters, which is what SG1 delivered for the most part, but I need me some romance.

I was first attracted to Stargate because of the Daniel/Shau'ri romance in the movie. I love that the less likely hero fell in love with the alien princess who turned out to be a strong leader and not just a damsal in distress. I was disappointed that storyline was not carried through particularly well into the series. But thankfully the PTB gave me another brilliant ship to latch on to.

As I think about it, the shows I watch all have one very powerful ship at the heart of them. So I guess that is my primary motivation for watching any show. If the ship falls apart, is poorly written, or just doesn't compel me I will lose interest in a show fast. I'm probably going to get hate mail for saying this, but one very big reason I don't like Sanctuary is that the ships on there are atrocious IMO. And same for SGU. Rather than giving me a reason to watch, they really turned me off to the shows and its characters.

S/J is one of the most well written and compelling ships I've ever enjoyed. Even when it is far to the back burner I still feel it's presence most of the time in a way that just makes all the characters and stories more enjoyable for me to watch. My greatest disappointment in the show was that years of brilliant work was squandered and tossed aside in the later seasons.

Comment

I'm the same way! I tend to be more invested in a show if there is a 'ship I like! My first big ship (and when I learned about fanfiction) was with Lois & Clark (way back in the day!). It's funny, there are some shows where I loved the ship but never got into the fanfiction (ie, Buffy, Farscape, Bones). But with Stargate... love the show, love the ship and have become obsessed with Sam/Jack fanfic!

Comment

Selene -I was afraid that would be a problem. The locale I picked out for their 'house' is in NoVA -backed up to Difficult Run Stream Valley Park. Not sure if that is periphery enough to see ANYTHING, but I was trying to think it though and put them (esp. Jack) it a place that didn't feel so 'hemmed in' by the city.

a little OT:
                              Spoiler:
                              One of the things I love about having moved from Louisville, KY to the mountains of SW VA, is that up here you have and awesome view of the stars with the naked eye -we're thinking about getting a telescope.
                              Telescopes OT:
                              Spoiler:
                              I've been debating for awhile now whether to get a small telescope for my deck. I live in an area that has no city lights to spoil the sky view; no street lights and only a few house lights in my neighborhood. On my back deck, there are no lights of any kind to take away from the sky view. The view is somewhat limited, though, because of the trees at the back of the yard.

It's been years since I did any sky watching. When I lived in Alaska, the sky was awesome on a cold clear winter night. My brother had a small telescope, and we saw Saturn and even one of the galaxies in a constellation (not recalling the name of the constellation or galaxy at the moment). Even a good pair of binoculars shows up stuff not seen by the unaided eye.

Now if I could find a nice guy who liked skywatching, I'd buy another deck chair for the deck, and have some company while skywatching.

Back in 1996(?), when I lived in Lincoln City, Oregon (about 2 blocks from the ocean), I actually saw that comet Hya****-something or other in the daylight from the deck of the apartment I lived in at the time. That was pretty cool. Could even see the tail of it.
                              Last edited by hedwig; 02 October 2011, 10:40 AM.

Comment

a little OT:
                                Spoiler:
                                Difficult Run would be okay. For telescoping, that is. You can see some of the basics, and they'd see enough for it to be more than just symbolic, but it still won't be as good as Colorado Springs, or, as you say, west of the Blue Ridge (*jealous*, by the way. I used to go to summer camp in WVa, and would just lie flat on my back and look up at the stars at night. It was amazing to see the milky way like that. certainly don't see it here!).

But we can pick out planets if we know where to look, and we can see a majority of the constellations. Yeah... Difficult Run would be okay, methinks. Especially because so much of that is park land, there wouldn't be much light pollution from traffic and high density population areas.

By the way, I think that's a perfect place for them by the way. Lotsa places to go hiking and kayaking and such. To get away from the hustle and bustle as they slow down in their older age! Even with Jack's knees the way they are, even just going up to Great Falls would be a good outing.

Comment

Working...
                                X