Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by josiane View Post
    Is it me, or is this episode really dull? I'm not a fan of the unas episodes in general, and I think this is my least favourite of them. Add to that the fact that Sam has one scene and Jack is sidelined about a quarter of the way through, and it's no wonder it doesn't really do much for me It's essentially filled up with Unas barking and grunting at each other and the humans while Daniel looks alternately puzzled and anguished.
    It's definitely not just you.

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
    Great review, josie! I'm not a fan or the Unas storylines, either!

So, with Enemy Mine we have another Michael Shanks episode, two in a row! Except that in LIFEBOAT we didn't see much of Daniel Jackson! So in this episode it's nice to see "classic" Daniel, like the good ol' days! He's in his "happy place", being an archeologist and diplomat. That was about all I liked. Oh, and, of course, the brief appearance of Jack and the one piddly scene with Sam. It was a great scene, though. Loved Jack griping to the nurse one minute, and then when Sam walks in, he sits up straight and acts all macho, like he's not in pain... HA!

And maybe it's weird, but I liked when the Unas came out from behind the tree and nailed Jack...BAM! What a great stunt that was!

Also, was that Sean Hayes playing the nerdy scientist? I think it was him, but he didn't have a credit, so not sure. Fun seeing him before he got famous on Will & Grace.

Didn't like... the stereotypical hard-nosed Colonel who doesn't want to do anything but shoot the indigenous life forms and ignore the fact that the USAF doesn't own the planet. The very fact that they "never got around" to contacting the expert on archeology, but instead moved artifacts that turned out to be on "sacred" ground, just goes to show after 7 years, these yahoos haven't learned anything! I guess I've grown used to the more "idealistic" Air Force that the show usually portrays, not these guys who are power-hungry and greedy for naquada. I also think Daniel, of all people, undersold these poor beasts. They are going to work the mine and give us all the naquada, all for a cigarette lighter? Does this not sound like taking unfair advantage?
    What she said. Yeah. That sums me up.

Although, I will add, yes to what Aka said about the guys in the Unas costumes.

And also, I think this episode and the previous one, are the two big ones in Season 7 where I really feel RDA's reduced schedule hits the screen. In this one he should be there - I agree with Rachel, not arguing the military thing (he's way beyond that level of antagonism with Daniel now) - but perhaps supporting him in some way. Having neither Jack around much, nor Sam, and having this so heavily focussed on Daniel...it feels off balance to me. I've always liked the episodes where there's a real team feel to it. Even episodes where they're off doing their own thing toward the same end goal are teamy but this is just...well, see Josi's point about the grunting.
    I think the message (oh the allegory to the native Americans displacement) is less than subtle too. Might as well flash up "here's The Message" on the screen.

To find something positive to add, Michael Shanks acts his socks off here (again). I'll give him a lot of credit for being able to act so convincingly against men in rubber suits.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
      It's definitely not just you.

What she said. Yeah. That sums me up.

Although, I will add, yes to what Aka said about the guys in the Unas costumes.

And also, I think this episode and the previous one, are the two big ones in Season 7 where I really feel RDA's reduced schedule hits the screen. In this one he should be there - I agree with Rachel, not arguing the military thing (he's way beyond that level of antagonism with Daniel now) - but perhaps supporting him in some way. Having neither Jack around much, nor Sam, and having this so heavily focussed on Daniel...it feels off balance to me. I've always liked the episodes where there's a real team feel to it. Even episodes where they're off doing their own thing toward the same end goal are teamy but this is just...well, see Josi's point about the grunting.
      I think the message (oh the allegory to the native Americans displacement) is less than subtle too. Might as well flash up "here's The Message" on the screen.

To find something positive to add, Michael Shanks acts his socks off here (again). I'll give him a lot of credit for being able to act so convincingly against men in rubber suits.
      Giggle.
      sigpic
      My Stories: FFdotNet
      My Stories AO3
      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
        Great review, josie! I'm not a fan or the Unas storylines, either!

So, with Enemy Mine we have another Michael Shanks episode, two in a row! Except that in LIFEBOAT we didn't see much of Daniel Jackson! So in this episode it's nice to see "classic" Daniel, like the good ol' days! He's in his "happy place", being an archeologist and diplomat. That was about all I liked. Oh, and, of course, the brief appearance of Jack and the one piddly scene with Sam. It was a great scene, though. Loved Jack griping to the nurse one minute, and then when Sam walks in, he sits up straight and acts all macho, like he's not in pain... HA!
        Oh yes, me too!

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
        Yes indeed, you're right, somehow it feels off-balance. And it's not as if we don't have other episodes that are basically focused on one of them, but in those you don't usually feel the lack of the others - the rest of them are usually there trying to save/rescue/support them, whereas in this one it feels like the rest of the team have been shunted off to the side - Sam's off elsewhere, Jack's injured and inexplicably unable to even back Daniel up back on the base, and while Teal'c is there with Daniel, he's pretty much just silent support in the background.

On the other hand, I'm glad someone likes this episode! Thanks for bringing the positive, Rachel!
        sigpic
        Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Great job as always with the review Josi!

Honestly I was going to try and do the massive multi-quote thing, but that just seemed too taxing.

Mostly I agree with everything that's been said.

I would say that this may have been one Unas episode too many, or maybe two . . . or three. OK, who am I kidding I would have been just fine without any of them. Suffice it to say, I also find Unas episodes in general very boring (although I think my least favorite is actually the first one with Chaka). And I agree with Josi that aliens speaking English is just great in my book because the translating, subtitles, miscommunication stuff just gets old.

The one good thing to say about this ep is, as Josi pointed out, we get a nice view of the wider world of SGC and the universe that moves along even when we aren't following SG1 out on a mission. Not only do we see ongoing mining operations, we get another look at General Vadrine who we haven't seen since Tangent (where we learned he would be overseeing earth's space fleet), and we find out what happened with the Unas rebellion on the planet Chaka was left on, and we are introduced to another great secondary character who will later play a larger (although not starring) role in the Stargate universe as time goes on. In fact, you could say that the rather noticeable absence of our team drives this point home. The universe goes on without SG1, but one or more of them are there to step in when their expertise and experience are truly needed.

Now as to Sam and Jack, I agree that the scarcity of interaction lessens the already minimal enjoyment this episode brings to me. But I do like the way Jack totally changes his tone and demeanor when Sam comes in the room. It so reminds me of a guy trying to look good in front of his girlfriend the way he's howling in pain and complaining one second then brushing it off with a forced smile the next, like he's trying to impress her.

I have never been one who believes that Sam and Jack ever flaunted the regulations or had some kind of secret relationship off base. But, if you were ever to convince me that it was happening it would be during the first half of season 7. So much of their interaction seems just a little bit more personal than a close friendship; it feels like they are a couple.

Comment

I am enjoying all the Shipper Rewatch reviews, great job guys.

Speaking of the guys in the Unas suits in Enemy Mine, the Alpha of the Unas on planet was portrayed by the Stargate utility actor Alex Zahara. He appears in eight different episodes of SG-1 and played eight different characters.
            No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
            It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post

Speaking of the guys in the Unas suits in Enemy Mine, the Alpha of the Unas on planet was portrayed by the Stargate utility actor Alex Zahara. He appears in eight different episodes of SG-1 and played eight different characters.
              Alex Zahara also plays Warrick in the next episode, Space Race. That character was orginally portrayed by Dion Johnstone in Forsaken. Johnstone played Chaka in The First Ones and Beast of Burden. In Enemy Mine, Chaka was played by Patrick Currie, who also played Fifth in Unnatural Selection, New Order and Gemni, and was Eamon, the brother of Alex Zahara's character, in Space Race. See what you can do with big rubber masks? Musical actors.

Comment

He's a really good latex actor.
                sigpic
                My Stories AO3

Comment

He was the guy who played Michael in "1969".

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    He was the guy who played Michael in "1969".
                    Doesn't he also play one of those trader/smuggler guys in "Prometheus Unbound"?
                    sigpic
                    My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                      Doesn't he also play one of those trader/smuggler guys in "Prometheus Unbound"?
                      Not according to the cast list.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                        Not according to the cast list.
                        Ah! I knew you'd know that. See?

I was just challenging you.
                        sigpic
                        My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                          But the Unas made the deal. They were the ones that dictated the contract--and I think that the cigarette lighter was secondary to the promise that the naquadah (or was it trinium?)was going to be used to fight the Goa'uld. I think that was the main point of their deal. The lighter was secondary.
                          Hey, you are right, this is true, the Unas made the deal, but it all reminds of me of the House elves in Harry Potter. Ron says they like working for no wages, it's what they are born to do; and Hermione says they don't know any better. But I'll concede and agree with Rachel, that the UNAS are doing it to help Earth fight the Goul'd. That's a far higher cause, indeed!

Comment

I've stayed silent because I'm not a Daniel or Unas fan. Looking forward to Space Race...maybe it's me, but I recall some very shippy moments from that.

I imagine it's Jack enjoying the fact that Sam enjoys fast rides.

And get your mind out of the gutter...even though mine's already there...

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                              I've stayed silent because I'm not a Daniel or Unas fan. Looking forward to Space Race...maybe it's me, but I recall some very shippy moments from that.

I imagine it's Jack enjoying the fact that Sam enjoys fast rides.

And get your mind out of the gutter...even though mine's already there...
                              Why would I want to climb out of the gutter?
                              No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                              It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Petra, I have just made it to page 126 and read your list of 'unpopular opinions', and I just wanted to let you know that apart from 3 or 4 minor details, I agree with all of them. You're not alone!

P.S. I'm still hoping to catch up at some point and actually be able to join in the discussion.
                                sigpic

(I don’t know who made this gif but I’ve always loved this lil guy since I started hanging out here on GW back in the day. Happy to give credit!)

Comment

Working...
                                X