Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

banner by Regularamanda

Synopsis

Jack and Sam put a team of new recruits through training, until a takeover of the SGC when the new recruits must help a wounded Jack to save the command center.

Favourite Scene

When Jack and Sam are in the mess....

Favourite Quote

Sam: Try to remember when you were in their shoes.
    Jack: I wore boots.
    Sam: Think back to when you were their age.
    Jack: I was never their age.
    Sam: G'night, Sir.
    Jack: What?

Review

Gonna throw this out first. I've always really enjoyed this episode. First time I saw it I was carried along by the story and thoroughly enjoyed the ending. I liked the way that Hailey was brought back and I enjoyed the look into how new recruits got into the SGC.

The episode starts off with a bunch of new faces, and Hailey, working with Jack and Teal'c, running around what looks like Earth. They end up in a warehouse with Sam talking like a Goa'uld while yelling she's Tok'ra and pointing a weapon at Daniel. The rookies make their move (the wrong one) and Daniel shoots them as a reward for their mistake. Jack debriefs them all, while grilling them about their mistakes, Sam helping out. Jack dismisses them all and the rookies end up chilling out by base vehicles discussing their chances.

Jack and his red jello join Sam and her blue jello while they discuss they newbies. ( A scene that makes me laugh every time I see it.)

The rookie team embark on another training mission, and fail it with Elliot leaving one of his team members behind to his death. Jack is in the middle of yelling at them when he receives a phone call. Shortly after a bunch of Hummers drive up and Jack makes a show of switching the cartrige in his gun. As the rookies are chatting, a gun fight breaks out, with Jack winning, but injured. Elliot gets through to Jack that right now if there's a foothold situation at the SGC, then they're the only team he's got.

They break into the SGC and Jack trades some of their stun training weapons for real ones. They spot Teal'c and overhear him talking to Daniel, finding out that Daniel and Teal'c are part of this takeover. Hailey discovers the Stargate is open by using the security cameras, and Jack states it's their first task to get it shut down. They also spot Daniel with some artifact and Satterfield guesses that it's 'possessing' him, and they must save him.

The recruits end up running around the base getting into fire fights with various guards until Jack calls them back. They discover that there's nanite involved and leave to go turn off the device in the briefing room. Jack goes from huddling over his chair in unJacklike pain to strolling over to the phone, lets someone on the other end know the recruits are on their way. They run into Carter who gets searched, and explains she's escaped. The find Jack letting a stunned guard go and while Sam contemplates her next move, Elliot shoots the guard. Sam grabs a weapon and points it at Jack, stating he's been compromised. Elliot then stuns Jack and he falls to the ground. Sam sends them off again as Jack starts coming to.

Jack gets up and Sam reminds him he told the recruits to set their weapons to maximum, to which Jack responds that it's as Daniel has had it so easily on this mission. Sam comments that Jack's wound is now bleeding all over her lab, to which Jack responds with a shrug. Jack and Sam then join Hammond in the security room where they discuss the recruit's strategy (and Jack tries to take a shot at SG-3). We switch to Daniel who is enjoying Hammonds very comfy chair as Jack calls and tells Daniel in an evil yet mischievous tone, to have fun. As Daniel asks Jack a question (to which Jack has already hung up the phone) we hear a quick few bars of the music from Window of Opportunity.(I do enjoy the music in Stargate, especially as they have given 'themes' to certain characters and situations. This particular piece always seems to me that there's fun/lightheartedness ahead)

The sounds of weaponsfire errupts and we see the recruits trying to take out the briefing room. Teal'c and Daniel end up stunned and Satterfied sets the C-4. She suddenly remembers she's left Daniel in way of the blast and goes back to rescue him.

The countdown on the C-4 expires with no blast and when they go into the briefing room they find out it's all been a training scenario.

Sam asks where Hailey is and they discover she's in the Gateroom as a connection is made. She's electrocuted and collapses while Sam tries to close the iris. Radiation levels are rising in the Gateroom and Hammond orders an evacuation. Elliot asks about Hailey and Jack states she's already dead. They leave to a safer level and discover that Elliot is now gone. Hammond orders Elliot to return, which he ignores to rescue Hailey and get the iris closed.

Elliot rescues Hailey and finds out that the test had still been going. Hammond lets him know that he is to report back once he's had a few days off and he'll be assigned to a team.

Extras...

There wasn't much in the commentary.... but one thing that bugs me. They went all the way up several levels, but when they came down to congratulate Elliot it seemed like it took no time at all compared to heading up.

Implications for Jack and Sam

Right at the beginning, theres a beat where Jack is grilling them on their failure at the beginning. Satterfield states she didn't think Daniel was the Goa'uld and Hailey jumps in that Satterfield thinks 'he's cute'. Sam pauses before responding curtly that they can not allow their personal feelings get involved with the situation. Now there's advice from someone who doesn't follow that rule!!!! Now when Sam states this is it a comment that she knows she doesn't follow, or is it her training taking over? I also find it interesting when Satterfield suggests that Daniel is possessed by something, that they must save him. It's not a 'lets get the situation under control', or a 'deactivate the device.' It goes straight to 'saving him'. My mind keeps wanting to make parrallels from Satterfields interest in Daniel to Jack and Sam (I know it's a stretch, but my mind just keeps jumping there).
    sigpic

Comment

Proving Ground

Generally

I was a bit meh about this one on first watching but I've since grown to like it very much. (Back on first watching of course, there was the added surprise of not knowing it was a training scenario for some of the episode).

I actually really like the scene between the two Generals and the teasing banter of the recruits going up against SG1.

And it's nice to get a peek into the training regime and see that they've incorporated some of the stuff from the war games they came across: the intars and the idea that you have to test people in what they think is a real situation to fully see what they're made of.

Sam & Jack

Great points, Toomi. I agree actually that there is a parallel subtly drawn between Satterfield and Daniel, and Sam and Jack.

Satterfield doesn't believe Daniel is the Goa'uld because she likes him; her first instinct is to save Daniel when they see the situation rather than to think tactically. It shows how dangerous feelings can be in a military situation.

When Sam reams her out, I think some of it is because it hits a little close to the mark in that I think Sam knows she's still in love with Jack and so shares Satterfield's temptation - to let her personal feelings interfere with the job. Yet, I think Sam has convinced herself that she has never let her personal feelings actually interfere with the job and so that's why she is able to instruct Satterfield quite bluntly.

In fact, most of the time I don't think Sam does let her feelings interfere - more so, actually than Jack. Partly, because I think Sam is much more logical as a person; partly because I think her fears of actually getting close and having a relationship with him work in her favour in that regard. Really, there's only her going back for him when he was Goa'uld'd by Hathor, and working herself into the ground to bring him home from Edora, where she's really potentially allowed her feelings to slip over the line - and even then I would argue its an unconscious slip not one of her actively deciding (ie with Hathor she convinces herself she's going back because they don't leave anyone behind; with Edora she convinces herself that she's just doing it because he deserves to be home as soon as possible - she denies her underlying motivations are about caring about him more than she should).

Yet, I think the Satterfield/Daniel parallel also shows that sometimes that caring works too: Satterfield's feelings for Daniel mean she *does* save him - that she goes the extra mile to save him even at risk to herself. Same with Sam and Jack - and indeed all of SG1 - because they care about each other, they will go the extra mile.

I also really love the mess scene because I think this sets the tone for their relationship for a long time: professional but with a very real sense of friendship underneath - one where they can banter with each other but where the flirtatiousness which would have been more overt just a year before, is much, much more muted.
      sigpic
      Women of the Gate LJ Community.
      My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Forgive me for going back to 2001 - I was away (at the beach!!!)

I think the most shippy part of this episode occurred in the beginning and colored the rest of it for me.
        After Jack says to Hammond "Break out the fishing gear, General—our job here is done." and later "Long story short—I think we just carried out our standing orders, Sir." we see our favorite couple's faces.

Thanks to Stargate1971

Just happy about a successful mission? Looking forward to a secure Earth? Perhaps - but my shippy eyes see something else and Faxon does not phase Alpha Jack. He knows combat boots trump dress shoes any day of the week!
        Last edited by Zoser; 08 June 2010, 07:11 AM.
        sigpic
        Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
        My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
          I do love the homeless guy: "I've been warning the police about ninjas for years." You gotta watch out for those ninjas.
          I love the homeless guy too! He was in Nam, too - on vacation!

I so agree. Those scenes are really what make this episode watchable for me.
          I (and my husband) love the Jack-Maybourne interactions.

I never really cared for Simmons character. He just seemed so one dimensional and cliche. (Hi, my name is Simmons and I'll be your Washington bureacrat duchebag for this season. If there's anything I can do to get in the way of you saving the world, just let me know.) I was glad when he went away. (Although I was OK with his brief reapperance and demise in season 6.)
          He's just someone to hate like Kinsey.

I've always thought Jack's reaction was just right. Like you said, he'll stop at nothing to find her. His single-minded focus and unwavering determination speak volumes to me about how deeply he really cares. And when he says to Maybourne, "We're talking about Carter here." I can feel the raw emotion dripping off him. And Maybourne's retort that he has to be prepared for her not coming back was like a huge punch in the gut.
          Absolutely!!

I think he does show his relief in a very subtle way. Just before the camera cuts away from them, you can see Jack reach out and place a hand on Sam's leg. A little touch to reassure himself that she's there and she's OK. I can't see him doing anything more because they are still in the midst of a crisis and they have a job to do. The training kicks in at that point. Compare that to just a few scenes later when Sam comes upon Jack after he's been shot; first she secures the area, then she goes to him. It's there that I could see him reaching out and giving her a hug, but he's been shot. However, Sam is continually touching him and he leans back and just looks at her. It's like they are together in their own little world for that brief moment.

It foreshadows Heroes

I couldn't agree more. Sam should have been in the bed right next to Jack!
          There is room for two if they try!
          sigpic
          Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
          My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
            He's just someone to hate like Kinsey.
            I think Kinsey is a more interesting character than Simmons. To me Simmons is just a carbon copy, cut-on-the-dotted-line bureaucratic baddie. Kinsey is more layered and I don't completely hate him. (Maybe this comes from my own experience working with Senators. They have a common personality type: they all have a well-developed ego but also a very sincere desire to protect the country and fix what they think is wrong.) Kinsey has several concrete motivations for opposing the Stargate program and mistrusting SG1, and not all of them are bad, which makes his actions to get in the way and take control all the more insidious.

Comment

Ah Proving Ground. You know surprisingly I don't have much to say about it (for me). I've always liked this episode. I think it's a fun little adventure with lots of great twists. (I enjoyed noting all the little moments that hint at Hailey being the mole.) I like seeing a different side of the SGC and expanding our view of that world while also getting a taste of our favorite characters in a different type of role (as mentors and trainers rather than action heros).

Generally: I really like the contrast between the young, raw recruits and our now very experienced team. Like the way Daniel just takes out the recriuts one after another with several prescision shots and then holds the gun up to his lips to "blow away the smoke." Oh how things have changed from our bumbling archeologist of seasons past.

I also think it's interesting to remember that when Sam joined the team she was just a green young captain who Jack needed to help train and temper. And now she's right their beside him putting the youngsters through their paces.

Then there's the comfort level and comraderie that we see in our team. Jack teasing Daniel ("Have fun"); Teal'c fiddling with the stuff on Hammond's desk, Sam and Jack chatting over Jello. Very different from the recruits (especially Elliot's) me-centric attitude.

Sam/Jack Implications: Finally, some indication that these two are at least still friends! I'm mean really! I love the scene in the mess because almost the whole time they both have smiles on their faces. Like they are actually happy to be in the company of one another. There's this ease about them that we just haven't seen in ages.

As to Sam's response to Satterfield about not letting emotions cloud your judgment, I don't see any self condemnation or reproach there. She says, "You let your personal feelings for the host . . . get in the way of what needed to be done." I think this is a pointed criticism of Satterfield because she believes it is both necessary and possible to set personal feelings aside and focus on the job. Sam has made the choice not to let her personal feelings get in the way of her mission; she's doing what she believes must be done and expects no less from others who would join this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post

I think the most shippy part of this episode occurred in the beginning and colored the rest of it for me.
                After Jack says to Hammond "Break out the fishing gear, General—our job here is done." and later "Long story short—I think we just carried out our standing orders, Sir." we see our favorite couple's faces.
                Those look like the expressions of two people who think the fight is at an end and can move on to something more in their personal relationship.
                sigpic
                Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Great review Toomi. I completely agree on that favourite scene. Mine too, although the bleeding all over her lab was good too.

I don't see anything particularly shippy in this episode; just plain friendship and that's really nice to see now and again. If you want to ship that up a bit I guess it's a good indication that they've reached a similar (although not quite there yet) level of comfort to that which they had with each other is season 3. In the development of their relationship that feels quite important to me because it shows that, after all that's gone between them, despite all the threats and near misses, they have figured out that it is possible to work together and to work well and it won't tear them up inside to do so. I think this is almost the point where they're past the "OMG, wel love each other" stage and working out if/what/where that's going to lead. At this point I would think the path only leads to one place - carry on as before. So no real chance or hope of moving on with those feelings (I've never been in the "they were waiting for each other/holding pattern" camp myself). The significant development we get in the next half a season or so is the working out how to be comfortable with each other; how to find the happy medium.

Not shippy but on this episode in general; I love the chance to get a look at how the recruitment and training process works. I think it's a real shame we didn't get to see more of those recruits later on.
                  sigpic

Comment

Synopsis

When returning from a mission, Teal'c's energy signature is trapped in the Stargate. Daniel goes to Russia to help negotiate a deal to allow SG teams to use the Russian gate, while Jack works with Maybourne. Sam is introduced to Dr. Rodney McKay as they work to rescue Teal'c.

Favourite Scene

Scene with Rodney and Sam in the mess. It's a really good scene for many reasons. Rodney shows his true colours, and you get some insight to who he is. He has a job, regardless of the lives in the way, he will complete it. Then there's Sam, who has a friend caught up in this mess and is trying to find a solution. It's not so black and white for her. Plus, you've got two talented actors spewing out reams of technobabble (one of them at light speed!) while eating mashed potatoes. That can't be easy!

Favourite Quote

Jack (to Sam): Are you sure you want to be in there for this?
                    Siler: Not really, Sir.
                    Jack: I wasn't talking to you.

Review

The beginning of this episode is (to me) really quite cool. We start right off with our team being shot at by a pair of death gliders. They race to the gate when Teal'c takes the big gun and shoots one of the ships down before heading through the gate. The ship explodes as it hits the ground and disengages the wormhole in the process, leaving Jack, Sam and Daniel staring at the back wall instead of a wormhole and their teammate. As they try to dial the gate again, the computers keep registering an unknown error, and Sam suggests it's the Stargate, not the dialing computer. Sam thinks that Teal'c's energy signature is stored in the gate and isn't sure how to get him out. Also, if the gate connects, they lose Teal'c's energy signature. As a plan to prevent wormholes they move the iris close enough to stop it.

Hammond needs his best man to go to Russia to help co-ordinate the efforts to get their stargate to receive the SG teams, and he sends Daniel.

Jack shows up after a trip to get some stitches. Instead of just saying 'Carter' as he does to get her attention, he lightly taps her arm. He asks about Teal'c in the gate, and then offers his help. Sam, after a moment or two of suprise, launches into several technobabble sentences, while Jack tries to look like he's following. Until she takes a breath of air and he offers her some coffee. I always wonder about these bits. Jack has to be smart in order to get where he is, and you don't work around Stargates for 6 years, be the 2IC for the base, and not know a thing or two about it. Usually he catches on, jumps ahead several steps, and gets to the point. This time he doesn't. He seems to be not quite up to his usual speed on this one. When he asks her what he can do to help, there is that genuine softness in his face, but added into it a look of sheer confusion.

The scene between Hammond and Jack in the mess is a nice one. It shows how much each of them care for Teal'c, and how much they care for and respect each other.

And then comes the grand entrance!!! Simmons shows up and introduces Dr. McKay to Hammond. McKay is a scientist from Area 51 working from a model of a Stargate, and doesn't feel very excited about seeing the real one. Simmons states that McKay is the formost expert on the Stargate, and Hammond jumps in that he's second to Carter. Thus begins the feud that lasts many years, and spans a few galaxies.

Jack runs into Maybourne and they chase each other around Jack's truck at a gas station. He says he's there to warn Jack about Simmons.

Rodney and Sam end up bickering in Sam's lab, and as she's kicking him out, Daniel calls. Daniel tells Sam that if they'd had a DHD it wouldn't have been a problem, similar to what Rodney was just telling Sam and they're trying to work with the Tok'ra to get a solution to bring Teal'c back.

In the mess Sam carefully choses some blue jello and as they go down the line for food Rodney announces he's allergic to citris, one of those lines that has carried on and on. Sam looks revolted as Rodney joins her at a table and begins shovelling food down, while discussing hypoglycemia and wormholes. After Rodney announces that Teal'c is already dead and they should stop wasting their time, Sam informs him he's a jerk, to which he responds that he wishes he didn't find her so attractive. To make the 'compliment' carry further, Rodney then states that he's always been a sucker for the dumb blondes and Sam tells him to go suck on a lemon.

Daniel makes a deal to get the Russian DHD just as Hammond gets the order to resume gate travel. He states that even if he resigns it will only give them an hour, and that's not enough time for Sam. As the Gate is being dialed Jack calls Sam to let her know that they have a way to save Teal'c and have incriminating evidence against Simmons.

In the briefing room Rodney calls Sam a certifiable whack job for wanting to try the Goa'uld's idea. Hammond lets Rodney know that he's now on his way to Russia for a new assignment and Sam continues with the plan to 'revive' Teal'c. Teal'c arrives through the gate, confused, but very much alive.

One of my main reasons for liking this episode is because I've always enjoyed the McKay character, and it was nice to go back and remember how it all started.

Extras...

At the beginning when the team is being shot at and sand is flying... RDA was hurt and it was that cut they used as it looked the most 'realistic.'

At this point you've got Sam who likes Jack, and Jack who likes Sam. Neither of them can do much about it due to their commitments to the Air Force. They're not quite oposites but there's some big differences between them. If you didn't know them, you'd wonder what they saw in each other (besides the fact that they are both very good looking!). Then you get Rodney (and a very young Rodney, with much more hair than I'm used to seeing him with!). He and Sam are very similar. Both are experts in their field, leaders in the minds of their superiors and I don't think either is used to being challenged. Sam has a conversation with Jack about something that he doesn't quite understand, and he makes a light comment or two, but you can see he cares. Rodney is just as quick as Sam is, can talk to her at the same speed as her mind works, she doesn't have to re-explain herself again, yet Rodney doesn't care about anyone but himself. He openly tells Sam that he thinks she's hot, and insults her to boot. I'm very tired and for some reason that whole point is quite important to me at the moment. It was something that really jumped out of this episode for me.
                    sigpic

Comment

I have a couple of favorite scenes in 48 Hours. The first is the one between O'Neill and Hammond in the mess when he is napping at the table and Hammond tells him to go home. I also really like the scene between O'Neill and Maybourne at the gas station. I know neither of them have anything to do with ship but there it is.
                      sigpic

Comment

As usual lately I haven't seen the episode in ages; however it is one of my favourites (this season and in general) and I'll try to watch it soon and comment some more. Right now I just wanted to address some points that jumped at me.

Originally posted by Toomi View Post
                        Hammond needs his best man to go to Russia to help co-ordinate the efforts to get their stargate to receive the SG teams, and he sends Daniel.
                        I watched "Need" a few days ago and wanted to say that during these 3 years in-between Daniel made an incredible progress in the art of diplomacy. In Need he was so bad - worse than Jack at his worst, tbh - and cluless that not only didn't he get his teammates released but he managed to anger Shayla's father so much that he sentenced Sam, Jack and T to death. And now, 3 years later, voila - he became so good that Hammond sent him instead of the SGC professional diplomat unit.

Sam, after a moment or two of suprise, launches into several technobabble sentences, while Jack tries to look like he's following. Until she takes a breath of air and he offers her some coffee. I always wonder about these bits. Jack has to be smart in order to get where he is, and you don't work around Stargates for 6 years, be the 2IC for the base, and not know a thing or two about it. Usually he catches on, jumps ahead several steps, and gets to the point. This time he doesn't. He seems to be not quite up to his usual speed on this one. When he asks her what he can do to help, there is that genuine softness in his face, but added into it a look of sheer confusion.
                        I have a love/hate relationship with this scene. I love it because it's really cute and sweet and I hate it because IMO it's one of those moments when Jack's supposed stupidity was overplayed. As Toomi said he's not stupid and after so many years at the SGC he must have *some* understanding of what's going on with the gate, especially given his position. Plus Sam's technobabble wasn't that difficult to understand.

At this point you've got Sam who likes Jack, and Jack who likes Sam. Neither of them can do much about it due to their commitments to the Air Force. They're not quite oposites but there's some big differences between them. If you didn't know them, you'd wonder what they saw in each other (besides the fact that they are both very good looking!). Then you get Rodney (and a very young Rodney, with much more hair than I'm used to seeing him with!). He and Sam are very similar. Both are experts in their field, leaders in the minds of their superiors and I don't think either is used to being challenged. Sam has a conversation with Jack about something that he doesn't quite understand, and he makes a light comment or two, but you can see he cares. Rodney is just as quick as Sam is, can talk to her at the same speed as her mind works, she doesn't have to re-explain herself again, yet Rodney doesn't care about anyone but himself. He openly tells Sam that he thinks she's hot, and insults her to boot. I'm very tired and for some reason that whole point is quite important to me at the moment. It was something that really jumped out of this episode for me.[/COLOR]
                        Oh, I love this comparison! Great job Toomi! I've never thought to compare Jack with McKay - mainly because I've never seen any sexual/romantic chemistry between Rodney and Sam - but it's interesting and you make good points, particularly about our resident geniuses not being used to being challenged and portrayal of Jack as not very intelligent but caring and MacKay as incredibly intelligent but cold and obnoxious. Hmm, maybe dumbing Jack down in this ep was done on purpose to stress the difference between him and Rodney?

I need to rewatch "48 hours" asap!
                        There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                        sigpic
                        awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

I haven't had as much time as I'd have liked this week to keep up with the discussions, but I want to say great job to everyone that's posted reviews, and particularly commend Toomi for this insight:

At this point you've got Sam who likes Jack, and Jack who likes Sam. Neither of them can do much about it due to their commitments to the Air Force. They're not quite oposites but there's some big differences between them. If you didn't know them, you'd wonder what they saw in each other (besides the fact that they are both very good looking!). Then you get Rodney (and a very young Rodney, with much more hair than I'm used to seeing him with!). He and Sam are very similar. Both are experts in their field, leaders in the minds of their superiors and I don't think either is used to being challenged. Sam has a conversation with Jack about something that he doesn't quite understand, and he makes a light comment or two, but you can see he cares. Rodney is just as quick as Sam is, can talk to her at the same speed as her mind works, she doesn't have to re-explain herself again, yet Rodney doesn't care about anyone but himself. He openly tells Sam that he thinks she's hot, and insults her to boot. I'm very tired and for some reason that whole point is quite important to me at the moment. It was something that really jumped out of this episode for me.
                          Really great insight, and I think something that we can kind of extrapolate out from and apply to the various other admirers Sam has had - they've all been pretty overt about their feelings for her, just like McKay here, and all in stark contrast to Jack who is almost beyond covert! And they all, to a greater or lesser extent, put Sam off by so being - the flattery throws her, the explicitness offends her, the adulation confuses her, almost. And again, if I can take it that one step further, underlines the point that it takes her such a long time to figure out - all she needs from a man is constant, unwavering, support, which Jack gives her and is particularly shown in Grace and Threads.
                          sigpic
                          Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Jumping into this and I, too, loved Toomi's insight.

Samantha Carter is a woman who needs someone who is constant, steady, and loyal. Jack O'Neill epitomizes loyalty and strength.

She is also brilliant and, in his own way, so is Jack. They complement each other.
                            Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Yep, I'm going to be boring and jump in nodding vigorously and agreeing with that lovely insight Toomi posted. I'd never thought about that much before but it does make beautiful sense. Nicely summarised there too, Pol.

I haven't had time to rewatch this yet but will do so because Toomi's review has reminded me of some lovely moments in it. And, yes, I too love Mckay and, actually, love the Mckay/Sam dynamic. I wouldn't have minded at all had they chosen to explore that more.
                              sigpic

Comment

At this point you've got Sam who likes Jack, and Jack who likes Sam. Neither of them can do much about it due to their commitments to the Air Force. They're not quite oposites but there's some big differences between them. If you didn't know them, you'd wonder what they saw in each other (besides the fact that they are both very good looking!). Then you get Rodney (and a very young Rodney, with much more hair than I'm used to seeing him with!). He and Sam are very similar. Both are experts in their field, leaders in the minds of their superiors and I don't think either is used to being challenged. Sam has a conversation with Jack about something that he doesn't quite understand, and he makes a light comment or two, but you can see he cares. Rodney is just as quick as Sam is, can talk to her at the same speed as her mind works, she doesn't have to re-explain herself again, yet Rodney doesn't care about anyone but himself. He openly tells Sam that he thinks she's hot, and insults her to boot. I'm very tired and for some reason that whole point is quite important to me at the moment. It was something that really jumped out of this episode for me.[/COLOR]
                                Nice review, and that's a very interesting comparison re McKay and Jack that I hadn't thought about before. What jumps out to me is the idea that simply having interests in common (astrophysics in this case) doesn't necessarily mean two people will get along or even like each other, their respective personalities/life experiences are also very important. To quote Sam from a much later episode, McKay esp in this episode is 'petty, arrogant, and treats people badly,' while Sam is pretty much the opposite, which likely led to McKay's workplaces being rather combative ones while Sam's were probably more collaborative and supportive.

In that sense, I actually think that Sam and Jack are more similar than Sam and McKay. I'm guessing a bit here, but I think the nature of Jack's special forces teams likely meant that they were close-knit and supportive groups, he was apparently very good friends with former CO Cromwell in one case as well as Kawalsky and Burke I believe. Sam also seems to have built good relationships with scientific colleagues like Harlow or McClareon, or even Felger and Lee to an extent. So IMO, while they don't much in common regarding their knowledge base (aside from some AF stuff and astronomy), in terms of personality, experience in working with others, and such I think Sam and Jack have much more in common than Sam and McKay, who really at this point only have the astrophysics.

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                                I have a love/hate relationship with this scene. I love it because it's really cute and sweet and I hate it because IMO it's one of those moments when Jack's supposed stupidity was overplayed. As Toomi said he's not stupid and after so many years at the SGC he must have *some* understanding of what's going on with the gate, especially given his position. Plus Sam's technobabble wasn't that difficult to understand.
                                Well, he did have a concussion, that might explain him being a bit slow on the uptake.
                                Last edited by EvenstarSRV; 11 June 2010, 04:10 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X