This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Sorry to say this, but Season 7 was awful"

I'm not sorry to 'say' it.... I'm sad it happened, but for me, it's oh so true, season 7 was hands down, without a doubt, the *worst*, and for a multitude of reasons....
    it started fairly well in the first half, except for monumentally bad eps Space Race and Avenger, but the second half was truly awful.... until Lost City 1-2...
    why do I rate it an awful?
    Ship (in season 1-6 there wasn't a scene that ever went beyond the totally ambiguous, and fans could see what they wanted to see, or see nothing at all.. it walked a fine line without crossing it). Ship requires Carter to be helpless, Jack to be awareness of how such a relationship destroys his credibility/integrity/leadership (and Jack has always cared about being respected as an officer, he's stated so on several occasions), and General Hammond to be either deaf dumb and blind, or uncaring about how this would break down the authority of every officer involved, including himself...
    Poorly thought out and often derivative plots.
    Main characters not who they were in seasons 1-6 (I'm beginning to think they were all replaced by clones on Loki's ship....)
    Too much time spent on characters other than SG-1... Felger, Warrick, SG-13, Bregman and his shepherd, the race reporters, Chaka, etc. etc. (the show used to be about SG-1, they're the characters I care about)
    Too much one character off here, one off there... too little team (yes, even with limited Jack they could have done better)
    A major event, the death of a long-term beloved character, was in my view handled poorly (there was more emotion in the death of Martouf, for example, than in Doc's)
    Too much Carter. She started out as wonder woman and turned into whiny woman.... what happened to the smart, independent, strong, believable character of seasons 1-6?
    Jack's limited appearances were incredibly poorly used (contrast to how well his time was used in S6). He could have been used for so much more than the jokes and the object of Carter's inappropriate, court-martial worthy behavior.
    FOr the first time in seven years, I didn't look forward to watching new eps and I was relieved when the season was finally over. (I actually cringed every time Jack and Carter were on screen at the same time.)
    The bottom line is, unlike other years, there aren't more than a few eps that I can bear to rewatch......... in other years, there was hardly an ep I couldn't rewatch........
    Mary the Badger
    "O'Neill is legendary." Loki
    "Fire all weapons... sink the ship!" MtB

Comment

I love the fact that we actually are all watching the same show! To each their own and I'm willing to admit that my standards are probably low compared to others. I'm trying to avoid spoilers for S8 because S7 was skewed for me. S7 wasn't my favorite - I don't have a favorite "season" - but I'm glad for the continuation of the series. Here's my take (SPOILERS below):
      x
      x
      x
      x
      x
      x
      x
      x
      x
      x
      x
      Fallen/Homecoming - Dive right in and get the story going. Too tight of a wrap up for Jonas, though.
      Fragile Balance - Loved it!
      Orpheus - Nice recognition of Daniel's time ascended and recognition/explanation of the whole tretonin thing, but otherwise bland for me. Gangs o' Jaffa have that effect on me.
      Revisions - Feel like I'm in the minority on this one, but I loved it.
      Lifeboat - Ditto. Loved it. Thought performances were great television.
      Enemy Mine - Liked this one a lot and no, the new Chaka didn't look like the old one. So what. The new Weir doesn't look like the old one either.
      Space Race - I FFWD through the sportscasters, but otherwise liked this one a lot. Great job on the SFX.
      Avenger 2.0 - Funny, cute, full of plot-holes...basically loved it and glad to see Felger and his silly fantasies back.
      Birthright - Still on the fence on this one, but appreciate the continuing storyline.
      Evolution, Part 1 & 2 - Liked the story. Hate the look of the "super" soldiers. They're the only time I thought "low budget" adversely affected production.
      Grace - Not bad. A setup for Chimera. Great performances.
      Fallout - Still trying to figure Jonas' hair, but liked the story. The Kelownans don't deserve Jonas.
      Chimera - Loved the whistling scene and the off-base storyline for Carter. Nice to see Sarah back and hope to see her again.
      Death Knell - Okay story, but there are those darn silly-soldiers again.
      Heroes, Part 1 & 2 - Great performances and production, but there was no need to do that to Janet. Having set that up, Teryl deserved a better scene or opportunities to perform. And Jack would have invited Bregman off-world for a humbling experience.
      Resurrection - Loved this one. Amanda did a great job and I hope she gets an award for it.
      Inauguration - Clip show = necessary evil. I like Devane, but he should not play presidents anymore.
      Lost City, Part 1 & 2 - Great! Thank you for killing the silly-soldiers!

Can't wait to see what happens next! (Isn't that the point?)
      Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
      O'Neill: Who doesn't?
      - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
      - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
      once done, cannot be undone...
      brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Hey Anthro,
        I totally love your review on season 7, i totally agree!
        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by Mar9645
          Are you serious? People are actually using that moronic little toy? When I first read the description of the reputation capability, I thought it was a very bad idea. It gives the immature cretins who sometimes prowl around this forum and who have no respect for free speech and individual rights the opportunity to be even more vindictive than usual.

I think Mr. D. in Chicago needs to address eliminating this very-open-to-abuse capability on this shiney, new forum. The goal is to make friends and have fun, not be a rating system for who's right (a HIGHLY subjective opinion in most cases) and who isn't.
          Me too. I have mine turned off but as soon as I heard about it when they were talking about it on the old boards, I thought that is an awful idea. Why would their even be something like that? They should get rid of the option if it is at all possible and I believe it is. It's just asking for trouble and it is very insensitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
            No need to expect shock. Some of us think it was a great episode.
            Yeah I loved it. I do agree the new Chaka was lacking(as Alex Zahara said, paraphrasing, Chaka just wasn't in the in the house), but otherwise I thought it was a great episode.

I think S7 was uneven, there were some great moments, some really good episodes and some total misses. There were some very boring episodes like, IMO Death Knell, Grace. Some episodes which had potential and while they weren't bad, you just couldn't help but see the missed potential and one or two that were just...bad.

Evolution Part 1 and 2, big missed potential. I liked the Central American guerilla stuff but found the Super Soldier section ponderous and the Jack and Burke section annoying. The reason I liked the stuff with Daniel and Dr. Lee as there was tension in it which was completely lacking in the other two parts. Jack looked like he was on a walk in the park rather than a rescue mission. Rafael was scarier than the super soldiers and Daniel and Dr. Lee seemed convincingly worried over their possible fates and the effects of the device.

I can't understand why they would seperate the two storylines though--why not send all of SG-1 to find the Talchak device and then go see the Super Soldiers? Or if RDA's time was really that limited, send Daniel with Sam and Teal'c as well as Dr. Lee to Central America. The device was supposed to help them fight the super soldiers, it would make sense for them to wait to visit the Super Soldier planet until after they had tried to find it. So what we have is alot of lost potential for something that could have been a great team oriented two-parter.

Space Race had it's good points and bad points--there was no sense of tension(it was a race and yet I didn't even feel like it was a race or there was any real danger), the announcers were incredibly annoying, I didn't really buy Sam the adrenaline all of sudden making an appearance but I did like the Sam and Daniel friendship scenes, the Sam and Teal'c scene, the Jack and Daniel scenes, even found Eamon rather amusing at times--I've always had a soft spot for Niles Frasier.

Chimera--I liked Sam and Pete, thought they had fantastic chemistry and I just really liked David D. in the role, but thought it was a big mistake to turn the Osiris storyline into the b plot. That was the actual "Stargate" storyline and it was the resolution of one that had been building since the 4th season. It ought to have been the real focus. And perhaps then there wouldn't be so many people hating Pete right now.

We should have seen more of that, there should have been more tension leading up to figuring out what was going on, instead of them sitting there chatting about it casually. They also shouldn't have let the audience in on exactly what happening in the beginning of the episode--we shouldn't have seen WHY Daniel was suddenly having these dreams until just before they figured it out themselves. Imagine the seeing Osiris standing over him after having spent most of the episode wondering why Daniel was dreaming these dreams along with D, S and T. It could have began in the casual way it did, Daniel just mentioning being tired because a dream woke him up and then increase the tension as the dreams continue and become more disturbing so more worrisome for them in regards to the possible reasons for it. Then we could have had them finally figure it out.

I liked the interaction between Daniel, Sam and Teal'c--they really seemed like friends, a team. I liked seeing Daniel's dreams(and I'll totally admit to bias here because, not only did I like seeing Daniel being workaholic and driven as some have long suspected, I also think he looked astoundingly hot ).

Avenger 2.0 was just a disaster IMO. The less said the better.

The Daniel descension/ascension storyline was terribly mishandled. They just ignored it, had Daniel regain his memory in no time flat with no ill effects and then turned over the "ancients connection" to Jack with his special genes. There was so much dramatic potential for Daniel and his friends dealing with him being "back from the dead" essentially as well as alot of action potential for the whole Team in that storyline if they'd really made looking for the Lost City a priority in Season 7. Instead there are a few cursory mentions of it and boom, there it is in the final episode.

The Lost City was another positive/negative. Jack and Daniel's phone call, the argument between Jack and Daniel over who was going to put his head into it, the team bonding at Jack's house joined by Hammond, Daniel getting ready to argue with Weir over Jack's situation and finding her to be calm and low-key, Weir making her first stand against Kinsey. Liked discovering that gate symbols are also sounds, the scene with Jack, Daniel and Sam eating. Jack and Teal'cs "goodbye" scene. The scene of Jack being put into the dormata(for lack of a better word) and the looks on Daniel's, Teal'cs and Sam's faces as it was happening(but not the final bit that focused on Sam alone). Liked the initial clash of fighter squadrons over Antarctica, but otherwise just found it rather "eh", the team just followed Jack around while he did everything and while that can be portrayed in an effective manner, I don't think it was here. The "death" of Anubis was totally anti-climatic and CHEESY. He was a terrible villain to begin with but this was even worse.

Heroes is a tough one, while on the one hand I think there was some fantastic acting on the other there are alot of things that annoy me about it. It could have been better.

I liked Resurrection, I thought it was an interesting story. I liked how it referred back to alot of different stories and was really glad to see Barrett, but again, somehow they managed to suck most of the tension out of it and wrapped it up too neatly and quickly. So again, good and bad.

I loved Orpheus and really enjoyed Birthrite as well as the before mentioned Enemy Mine.

And so on and so on. I don't blame the actors for the most part. I think they did the best they could with what they were given. Needless to say, it was just missed opportunity after missed opportunity in Season 7. Like they couldn't be bothered to put any real thought into it.

Comment

The actors did an exellent job acting out the 'so so episodes'. I don't feel like typing a whole lot, because epiphany already said almost everything i was thinking.

Comment

it was lacking team dynamic...
                My flickr photography.

Comment

Team Dynamic?

Comment

Originally posted by Pknuts
                    Hi everyone,

As the thread title suggests, I feel like season 7 has been the worst season of SG-1... probably due to Brad Wright leaving. Let's go through some of the crap episodes.

Enemy Mine: BORING, long, Shaka looked NOTHING like the original one.

Space Race: Wanted to be funny and cool. It wasn't really. Ending was appaling.

Evolution 1 and 2: For a 2-parter, it was terrible. Remember when mid season 2 parters used to be good? Like 'Jolinar's Memories' and 'Devil You know'. Boring. Bits in south america dragged on.

Chimera: Hmmmmm, not the way I wanted to see Osiris come to an end

Death Knell: Boring

Ressurection: QUITE POSSIBLY THE WORST EPISODE OF SG-1 EVER. Everything was awful with this, especially the CRAPPY lets use the NID AGAIN with their shady actions... blah blah blah. I didn't even finish watching it. Only time that's EVER happened.

Lost City Part 1: Part 1: dragged on, and nothing happened. BUT Part 2: One of the best eps of SG-1

I don't mean to sound so pessimistic, Season 7 does have some good eps: Fallen/HC, Revisions, Grace (loved the look and feel of that last one).

What do you all think? And please, no ship comments, this board is already filled with them.
                    For a while I was upset with Jack lite...but I have been rewatching it on my vcr tapes and actually, it grew on me. I am an RDA addict. So there is no ENOUGH with respect to Jack. But I thought most of it was pretty good and much better than anything else on tv.

Enemy mine did not use Dion Johnstone as Chaka because of schedule conflicts. So yes, it was a different Chaka and Dion is so superb as an alien. So I agree with the problem of quality but the story was ok.

I laughed my head off during Space Race. Eamon the gay alien was a hoot. Teal'c in the bell boy outfit sent milk shooting out my nose. Jack telling Teal'c not to get caught by the bad guys was pure Jack. The bad tempered contestant rescued by Sam was a great antihero.

Evolution: Couldn't understand why they could bring a ship to Anubis' planet and not a few nukes with it....poor planning. Loved the Central American bad guys. Loved Jack and Burke moments and would love to see Burke again. Crazy!

Chimera: Hate Pete, 'nuf said.

Death Knell had a good treatment of politics between us, the Tokra and the Jaffa...loved the new Jaffa leader, hunkalicious.

Resurrection was ok until they let her out again...there must have been fire suppression equipment around.

Hated Revisions. Didn't care about the people and thought the whole thing was stupid. Could have just shot them with tranquilizar darts and moved them.

The rest was interesting...so let's hope they keep going.
                    Last edited by Livi2Jack; 17 May 2004, 01:39 PM.
                    Causality should not be taken lightly.

Comment

Well ive yet to see season 7, but if it was anything like seasno 6 I migntnt bother! That for me was the WORST season ever...I didnt even watch half the episodes and most of those that I did watch bored me to the point that I switched off. The only episode I remember really enjoying was Full Circle. That was classic Stargate for me

Im hopeful about Atlantis and the fact that Mallozzi said he's enough ideas to do alot more SG1 seasons.
                      As above, so below

Comment

I don't think it was an awful season. There were certainly some flawed episodes, but there were equally bright spots in others.

Some of my bright spots for the season:
                        • Fragile Balance: this brought back the funny and the kid was a good actor. Also, Loki is totally giggle-worthy. Would love to see him back to wreak more havoc.
                        • Space Race: A very guilty pleasure. I giggled at the announcers. I about fell off the couch laughing at the bellhop uniform. Teal'c trying to avoid the diplomatic meeting was classic. This is Stargate: Plan 9 from Outer Space. It's not good, it's so very bad it's good.
                        • Birthright: I always like Chris Judge's episodes. He gets into Jaffa cultural issues very well. Also, Ishat rocks (and I never even liked the actress on Star Trek, go figure).
                        • Jacob Carter: He was a real bright spot in all his episodes. Wish we got more of him.
                        • Lost City: Big threat. Big action. Big effects. Jack-heavy. Big bad seems dead. Cliffhanger. Yup, it's a season ender. A little by the book, but there's a reason there's a book on these. Some things work.
                        • Revisions: I liked the back to the roots of the show feel Also, Jack and a kid, yea, I'm happy. And shallow.
                        • Orpheus: This hit on so many things: Teal'c's symbiote loss, Bra'tac and Rya'c's, Daniel's ascended time, and let us in on some of the political situation in the universe. Also, Teal'c heavy and great effects. A real gem in my opinion.
                        • SG-13: Loved these guys. Good team dynamic. Interesting group. Also, Adam Baldwin. Yup, still shallow.
                        • Agent Woolsey: I love a nice layered bad guy who might not actually be bad in the grand scheme of things. Also, great actor.

The dimmer bulbs:
                        • Unas: Snooze. Can we please get a Daniel heavy episode without the grunting lizards (or a crazy girl, for that matter)? I love seeing Daniel do his lingustic thing, but one of these was more than enough.
                        • Chimera: This never should have had those two plots smooshed together into this bizarre kludge of an episode. Both plots needed to be spread out a little better across other episodes to allow the passage of time and better development of the stories. Instead it was all mushed together, felt rushed, and did justice to neither plot. I especially wanted to see more of Daniel and Osiris. Osiris was a cool villian. Wish we hadn't lost her with a whimper.
                        • Heroes: Something about this one bugged me beyond losing Janet. The tone and pace seemed off in some hard to define ways. It clearly went through several rounds of development and never quite had a cohesive feel. Some scenes were probably written when it was a comedic romp and never got sufficiently adjusted when it turned into a serious episode. Also a little too blatantly manipulative and flag waving for my tastes.
                        • Inauguration: Yea, we really needed another clip show.
                        • Resurrection: Didn't the X-files end for good reason?
                        • Fallout: Don't they have science advisors? Can I send them some? Please. Pretty please.
                        • Daniel: did they not notice Daniel was ascended for a while and probably came back a little changed by the experience? or at least had a serious adjustment period?

Still, more than enough bright spots to keep the season from having been horrible in my book. The bad was mostly just dull. The good was highly entertaining. Still way better than most of the stuff on television.
                        *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

Originally posted by Pknuts
                          Space Race: Wanted to be funny and cool. It wasn't really. Ending was appaling.

Evolution 1 and 2: For a 2-parter, it was terrible. Remember when mid season 2 parters used to be good? Like 'Jolinar's Memories' and 'Devil You know'. Boring. Bits in south america dragged on.

Chimera: Hmmmmm, not the way I wanted to see Osiris come to an end

Death Knell: Boring

Ressurection: QUITE POSSIBLY THE WORST EPISODE OF SG-1 EVER. Everything was awful with this, especially the CRAPPY lets use the NID AGAIN with their shady actions... blah blah blah. I didn't even finish watching it. Only time that's EVER happened.

Lost City Part 1: Part 1: dragged on, and nothing happened. BUT Part 2: One of the best eps of SG-1

I don't mean to sound so pessimistic, Season 7 does have some good eps: Fallen/HC, Revisions, Grace (loved the look and feel of that last one).

What do you all think? And please, no ship comments, this board is already filled with them.
                          Shaka grew up, into a prosperous adult unas, ready to take on a brave new world

As for lost city part 1 isdisagree, honestly, who;eheartedly, i thought it was definatele among to 10% BEST episodes ever, the way it was made. Especially with anubis appearing to the president (or was that 2 ? ). I liked certainly, when the supersoldiers killed the jaffa, its started a new trend i hope will continue, and lead to a full on jaffa rebellion in season 8!

Ressurrection. Yes. And most certainly no, it wasnt very good, one of the only eps i have ever seen only once!

Space Race was alright, its about time some proper alien interactions got going, where there just like "buddies", rather then...

meet
                          were all good friends
                          aliens conspire
                          carter goes "oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh"
                          jack takes thing into his own hands
                          Everyone but SG1 gets pwnd!

AND OMG OMG OMG...

THE SHIPS, ROCKED!

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                            I love the fact that we actually are all watching the same show! To each their own and I'm willing to admit that my standards are probably low compared to others. I'm trying to avoid spoilers for S8 because S7 was skewed for me. S7 wasn't my favorite - I don't have a favorite "season" - but I'm glad for the continuation of the series. Here's my take (SPOILERS below):
                            x
                            x
                            x
                            x
                            x
                            x
                            x
                            x
                            x
                            x
                            x
                            Fallen/Homecoming - Dive right in and get the story going. Too tight of a wrap up for Jonas, though.
                            Fragile Balance - Loved it!
                            Orpheus - Nice recognition of Daniel's time ascended and recognition/explanation of the whole tretonin thing, but otherwise bland for me. Gangs o' Jaffa have that effect on me.
                            Revisions - Feel like I'm in the minority on this one, but I loved it.
                            Lifeboat - Ditto. Loved it. Thought performances were great television.
                            Enemy Mine - Liked this one a lot and no, the new Chaka didn't look like the old one. So what. The new Weir doesn't look like the old one either.
                            Space Race - I FFWD through the sportscasters, but otherwise liked this one a lot. Great job on the SFX.
                            Avenger 2.0 - Funny, cute, full of plot-holes...basically loved it and glad to see Felger and his silly fantasies back.
                            Birthright - Still on the fence on this one, but appreciate the continuing storyline.
                            Evolution, Part 1 & 2 - Liked the story. Hate the look of the "super" soldiers. They're the only time I thought "low budget" adversely affected production.
                            Grace - Not bad. A setup for Chimera. Great performances.
                            Fallout - Still trying to figure Jonas' hair, but liked the story. The Kelownans don't deserve Jonas.
                            Chimera - Loved the whistling scene and the off-base storyline for Carter. Nice to see Sarah back and hope to see her again.
                            Death Knell - Okay story, but there are those darn silly-soldiers again.
                            Heroes, Part 1 & 2 - Great performances and production, but there was no need to do that to Janet. Having set that up, Teryl deserved a better scene or opportunities to perform. And Jack would have invited Bregman off-world for a humbling experience.
                            Resurrection - Loved this one. Amanda did a great job and I hope she gets an award for it.
                            Inauguration - Clip show = necessary evil. I like Devane, but he should not play presidents anymore.
                            Lost City, Part 1 & 2 - Great! Thank you for killing the silly-soldiers!

Can't wait to see what happens next! (Isn't that the point?)

I agree with you 100%. Some people are just wayy too picky and take things far too seriously. S7 was good entertainment...some seem to forget this word.
                            It feels good to be alive.
                            Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

I totally agree as well, i can't really be 'pissed' off at people, because people do have their opinions, but i truly think season 7 wasn't all that bad, although i would have enjoyed it more if they kept Jonas part of SG1.

Comment

Originally posted by nukechuck
                                Yes

I used to go to the scifi channel board and everyone there would just whine and moan about how much stargate sucked so I started to buy into thier bs. Then I stopped going there and I watched my season seven recordings and thought to myself "Damn this season kicks butt!" Then I thought back and their have always been posts like this for every season ( except season one)
                                Examples-
                                S2- This season sucked because of the tok'ra in carter. blah blah blah
                                S3- This season sucked because of Sokar gripe gripe gripe
                                S4- This season sucked because Glassner left whine whine whine
                                S5- This season sucked because daniel died moan moan moan
                                S6- This season sucked because of Jonas and The Sci Fi Channel
                                Complain Complain
                                S7- This season sucked because O'Niell wasn't in it as much and because Jonas left and becauseCarter is getting a life(AKA the cop) Moan Whine Whine Moan

The truth is every season is perfect each with its high points and low points. For instance I dread watching One false step because i think its dumb but when I watch it I think "this episode is a good episode I shouldn't judge it like I do" All of the seasons are the best in my opinion.

I have to agree with you.... Every season has good and bad episodes depending on a persons personal preferences...

Pagan Twylight's
                                Stargate SG-1
                                Tok'Ra FriendlyFanfiction
                                http://www.pagantwylight.com
                                Symbiotica
                                http://tokra.fandomnet.com/fic2/index.php
                                There comes a moment of sadness, with the setting of the sun.
                                Not for the sins committed, but for the things I have not done.
                                Minot Savage

Comment

Working...
                                X