Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree season 7 did let them all down well i liked the finale and evolution perhaps

Comment

Then I stopped going there and I watched my season seven recordings and thought to myself "Damn this season kicks butt!"
      So, are you saying that you read some opinions before seeing the season, and than saw it for yourself and formed your own opinion? Because that makes sense.

OR, are you saying that you watched the show, formed an opinion that it was pretty good, and then let other people change your mind just because they didn't enjoy it? And, then went back and watched it again after you left the board and decided it was okay again? Because I don't understand that.
      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
        So, are you saying that you read some opinions before seeing the season, and than saw it for yourself and formed your own opinion? Because that makes sense.

OR, are you saying that you watched the show, formed an opinion that it was pretty good, and then let other people change your mind just because they didn't enjoy it? And, then went back and watched it again after you left the board and decided it was okay again? Because I don't understand that.
        It's called peer pressure.

The Man

Comment

Originally posted by nukechuck
          I used to go to the scifi channel board and everyone there would just whine and moan about how much stargate sucked so I started to buy into thier bs.
          Well, you went to the SCIFI board, that's your problem. That is the most negative, troll-infested, vile, despicable and downright disgusting board I've ever been on. It's full of trolls who do nothing but attack everything in sight which makes everyone around them paranoid and prone to attack which ticks off the others who start to attack... It's a vicious unwelcoming pit and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It used to be a pretty decent board, but that was a long time ago and things have been getting progressively worse. That is the board that contains personal attacks against the actors and lovely posts expressing sympathy for the horrifying near-death "accidents" of the various castmembers. It's the place where people pose as other posters or even as the actors themselves in order to show off and make matters even worse. I'd say "avoid it like the Plague" but frankly the Plague would be an improvement.

When it comes to spoilers about upcoming eps/seasons, yes, I may allow other opinions to influence my thinking. But when it comes right down to me actually WATCHING and ep than mine is the only opinion that counts and I'm just as likely to go AGAINST popular opinion as agree with it.

Everyone (general everyone) ranted and raved and spit nails about how horrible Chimera was, and how Pete deserved to die a slow and agonizing death (and then be revived so he could die again), but that was one of the eps this season that I actually liked and I loved Pete.

Likewise, a lot of people spoke glowingly of Evolution 1&2. They praised it and I had good friends tell me I should watch it because it was just so good and it was a "classic" ep of Stargate, but I watched part 1 and found it so severely lacking I didn't bother with part 2.

Point is, you have to decide how much you're going to let people influence your thoughts. Is it a bboard's fault if you hate an ep just because everyone told you that you'd hate it? Or is it yours for believing them and not seeing for yourself?

I really really wanted to like S7. I didn't want to be like all the Jonas-bashing "If Daniel isn't in it, Stargate is gonna suck!" people who refused to watch S6 but continued to attack it (and Jonas) anyway. The tables were going to be reversed and I didn't want to be accused of hating S7 only because Jonas wasn't in it. I also didn't want to be someone who went looking for faults and found them. I tried hard to like the premiere, but it left a bad taste in my mouth and it wasn't just because of Jonas. Much to my surprise part of my dissatisfaction came from what I saw as a complete mishandling of Daniel's character as well.

I don't hate Daniel. Before S6 he was my favorite character. I wasn't looking forward to his return because I know it meant the end of Jonas (DON'T get me started on that), but I wanted to be wowed by his return. If I wasn't happy about the loss of Jonas I WAS happy about getting to see Daniel in action again. ...Except that everything I HAD loved about the character seemed mostly absent in the premiere. Daniel came off as very flat and uninterested. I know he had amnesia (for an eyeblink, don't get me started on THAT either), but there was just... nothing. I felt no connection to him anymore and the next couple of eps after Fallen/Homecoming did nothing to alleviate that feeling of blah and the disaffection seemed to have infested the rest of the cast. Instead of looking forward to new eps I was left feeling upset and somewhat desperate. Where was the Stargate I knew and loved?? I kept waiting for it to reappear, figuring, "Oh, well, they're still disorganized, still crunched for time..." But the Joke That Was Revisions was the last straw for me (the first one being the fate of the Abydans in Full Circle). I have never seen a staler, more uninteresting more un-tension-y non-climactic ep of Stargate. After it aired I stopped watching the show except for specific eps I read about that sounded good.

Avenger 2.0 was, unfortunately, one of those eps. If I thought Revisions was bad, then Avenger was appalling. Dear gods, what were they doing to the show?! There were, fortunately, some good eps after that and I've detailed a few of them in an earlier post, but overall I've felt that S7 was sub-par and not worth the effort of watching, except for a few eps.

I am unapologetic for this opinion. Other people are free to disagree but I resent the idea of it being held against me or me being "blamed" because I don't like something. Or even because I like something. I feel how I feel and that's all there is to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            Well, you went to the SCIFI board, that's your problem. That is the most negative, troll-infested, vile, despicable and downright disgusting board I've ever been on... I'd say "avoid it like the Plague" but frankly the Plague would be an improvement.
            Unfortunately, since Stargate runs on the SciFi Channel, their bboard is often the first exposure new fans have to online fandom. There's still a cadre of helpful folks there who try to point newbies in the right direction (usually straight to Gateworld ) It doesn't help matters when well-known fans begin to attack other well-known fans over things that happened a year ago. Of course, without moderation, they can get away with that sort of thing.
            Nmom
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom
              There's still a cadre of helpful folks there who try to point newbies in the right direction
              Gluttons for punishment, that's what you are. Lord, what fools these mortals be. hehe. I toughed it out as long as I could, but I'm glad I left. Gateworld is so much better. Better people, better style, better moderation (ANY moderation!), and people actually discuss Stargate here every once in a while!! Shock of shocks. Stargate is practically off-topic on the SCIFI board.

Comment

I feel the exact opposite. First half much better. Second half, horrid. Episodes that could have been good were ruined. Grace was totally gag inducing throw heavy object at the screen terrible. And, out of the ones in the first half, the worst was Avenger 2.0. In fact, if it hadn't been for Grace, I probably would have counted that as the worst episode I've ever seen on the show (well, I'm still not sure where Wormhole X-Treme falls in. But, it's somewhere).

What she said. And, what Shadowmaat said.

Below par season over all, with a few good bits here and there. I was puzzled by the nonmention of the Other team member except in one or two spots.

Disappointed and perplexed as to where the whole Ascension/Abydos event went, why it was never mentioned by anyone.

Except for a few stand-out performances (DSD in Death Knell, TR in Lifeboat, MS in Lifeboat and Heroes pt 2, and a few other spots in other shows) most of the actors were coasting. IMHO.

Editing, reliance on SFX/CGI to make the hits instead of real character development (Grace wasn't character development - it was character assassination, and booooring to boot). Lazy writing, expecting the audience to fill in the blanks of all the important stuff going on between the characters between brief scenes when they were all together. IMHO

Turning Jack into an evolved human with that extra special gene. I always preferred him to be a regular guy having these wacky adventures. Sam turning into ... well, I don't have the words for it. I'll leave that one alone. Teal'c reduced to Galaxy Quest-style alien Dr. Lazurus close-ups when he could have had meatier roles (as in Death Knell). Daniel - his Ascension/Ancient arc handed over to Jack and the sidelining of his character along with Teal'c. IMO

I enjoyed Fragile Balance. I had fun with Fallen, a little bit with Homecoming where I enjoyed the interplay between Daniel and Jonas, but had to wonder why once again the plot required Sam with Jack...kinda set the tone for the rest of the series. I liked Orpheus a lot. Bra'tac is awesome whenever he shows up (go, Tony!). I laughed the first time at Avenger, then it wore thin. There was no race in Space Race, the announcers wore out their welcome fast. I liked Inauguration, surprisingly enough. Had a great time watching The Lost City part 2 with a bunch of other fans and making MST3 remarks the whole way through.

I thought the season was remarkably uneven, choppy, and, never thought I'd say this, was worse than the way s6 was written.
                Last edited by Gategrrl; 08 May 2004, 02:12 PM. Reason: to make sure it's known this is my OPINION

Comment

I never said there shouldn't be criticism because there should be, but bashing and criticism are two different things.
                  Bashing to me is where people pick on every single aspect of the show and say they hate it so much, where they over analyse everything and somehow find things wrong with them.
                  People who criticise are different, they don't bash the show, and they give reasons why they didn't like the show, good points and bad points, if anybody thought my post was an attack on people who didn't like the show it wasn't, and constructive criticism is good to hear. This board and the posts here are constructive criticism - which is good, but others aren't.

Did i ever let my enjoyment of an episode be brought down by people who just bash the show (not criticise but bash), yes and no. No i didn't because i would not change my opinion on a show because others didn't like it, if i loved the show i still loved it regardless of what others think. But your mood is also brought down by people who do that, people who over analyse every tiny detail about it just to bash the show not criticise, and sometimes i couldn't help but do the same, look for every little detail. Then i realised what i started doing and stopped doing it. That is how it used to ruin my enjoyment of the show. Now i've stopped letting it matter, because i realised what it used to do to me.

For the Season i loved the sam getting a life story, i loved pete. I loved grace and thought it was interesting and good character development. I liked Daniel this season, i thought they could have handled the ascension alot better but i still liked it. I thought Jonas should have been in season 7 alot more. Jack should have been in season 7 alot more, but i know why he wasn't and i can live with that. I thought the Acting this season was the best its ever been - MS in lifeboat and heroes, AT in Grace and Hereos, aswell as the Scenes she had in Death knell and DSD in Death knell and Heroes, all the cast did a great job in The Lost City, the Actors did an excellent job this season. The Second half of the season was alot better than the first. I didn't like enemy mine - i thought and was boring and needed a b plot. Resurrection wasn't anything special either.

I loved season 7, not as good as 3 and 4 and just edging out 2 but better than the rest.

Comment

It's called peer pressure.
                    Guess I'm immune.

where they over analyse everything and somehow find things wrong with them.
                    But, who's the judge of what's overanalyzing? Who judges what things are okay to find wrong and what's not?

Except that everything I HAD loved about the character seemed mostly absent in the premiere.
                    Hey, Shadowmaat, did you ever feel that he regained the aspects of the character that you liked, before you decided to stop watching? I also thought that he wasn't Daniel-like in the premiere.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

But, who's the judge of what's overanalyzing? Who judges what things are okay to find wrong and what's not?
                      Me saying someone overanalysing things is just how i see it, other people see it differently, some may see it as accurate, others may not. There is no proper judge, just opinions, people's views and feelings on other opinions.

An example would be me saying person 'X' is over analysing and critical, others may see 'X' as fair and accurate. People may view me as too positive and not critical enough. There is no right or wrong, there is no judge either, to them they are correct, to others they may be wrong.

Me saying some people are too critical and overanalysing is just my opinion, that does not make me right and does not make them wrong, it is just how i feel about it. People view the world through there own eyes and view others that way, and right or wrong, people just do it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        Plus, like Dani said, I'm not gonna let the opinions of others ruin my own feelings. I still love things about the show and I'm still happy to discuss them, but I'm not going to shut up about the things I DON'T like just because people hate me for it. Yes, I find it very upsetting that people keep giving me negative votes on my posts, but this is who I am and I'm not about to change just to please them.
                        Are you serious? People are actually using that moronic little toy? When I first read the description of the reputation capability, I thought it was a very bad idea. It gives the immature cretins who sometimes prowl around this forum and who have no respect for free speech and individual rights the opportunity to be even more vindictive than usual.

I think Mr. D. in Chicago needs to address eliminating this very-open-to-abuse capability on this shiney, new forum. The goal is to make friends and have fun, not be a rating system for who's right (a HIGHLY subjective opinion in most cases) and who isn't.
                        Last edited by Mar9645; 09 May 2004, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Exactly. What YOU (general you) find to be "too much" might not be what someone ELSE finds to be "too much" or what I might think is "too much" and let's not forget what Poster X thinks is "too much".

Negative content isn't the only time people go overboard, either. I personally get sick of the fans who over-analyze scenes to find shippiness. What about people who pick over each and every scene to find slashy moments? What about the ones who glorify EVERYTHING about an ep, right down to lighting, camera angles, specific frames... If bashing is bad, deifying isn't much better.

Hey, Shadowmaat, did you ever feel that he regained the aspects of the character that you liked, before you decided to stop watching? I also thought that he wasn't Daniel-like in the premiere.
                          There were moments, but no, I never felt that the Daniel I like ever came back and the Daniel we were given instead wasn't someone who really interested me. I did really like the bit in Heroes where (he ran through the halls with the camera crew chasing him only to look at a report. hehe). In general, though, he isn't "there" to me. It isn't just Daniel, either. The Jack I love has long since departed. I think he left around the time Daniel did. Carter is a joke. She's gone from being a strong individualistic character to being a piece of tissue and Teal'c went from being three-dimensional in S6 to being a piece of cardboard again in S7. My opinion.

There doesn't seem to be any FUN in Stargate anymore and there's not as much real drama, either. It's all about sensationalism. When there IS "fun" it's either forced and unnatural (like Avenger 2.0) or it's crass and inappropriate (like several of Jack's quips). Other people can still appreciate that sort of stuff and some of them don't see it as being any different than anything else we've seen over the years. I have a different view. And I don't like what I see.

Comment

What about the ones who glorify EVERYTHING about an ep, right down to lighting, camera angles, specific frames... If bashing is bad, deifying isn't much better.
                            Especially when it's followed by something like, "how dare you find anything wrong. Look! It's great. No, I'm telling you, it's great."

Comment

Originally posted by Pknuts
                              Shaka looked NOTHING like the original one.
                              I don't know why but Chaka's appearance bugged me tremendously. I think it's because Dion is such a visually stimulating actor when he's behind Chaka's mask. The body motions are memorable. That whole dropping of the jaw when Chaka sees something he's surprised to see, soforth. I hope if Chaka comes back they will not keep this gentleman.

Comment

Originally posted by Mar9645
                                Are you serious? People are actually using that moronic little toy? When I first read the description of the reputation capability, I thought it was a very bad idea. It gives the immature cretins who sometimes hang around this forum and who have no respect for free speech and individual rights the opportunity to be even more vindictive than usual.

I think Mr. D. in Chicago needs to address eliminating this very-open-to-abuse capability on this shiney, new forum. The goal is to make friends and have fun, not be a rating system for who's right (a HIGHLY subjective opinion in most cases) and who isn't.
                                The forum is new and Darren is just kind of seeing how things go. In the meantime there are safeguards to prevent people from abusing the reputation feature. For instance someone can't just sign up and start detracting reputation points at will. The repuations marks don't even count until the user reaches a certain point. And you can't just keep detracting reputation points from the same person over and over again. I think Darren was hoping that people would act maturely. But if anyone feels that the feature is being misused in any way shape or form please let a mod know.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Working...
                                X