Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I said I dislike Enemy Mine but didn't say I hate this episode because season 7 sucks or because there's no Jack bla, bla, bla, bla... it's that I call complaining. I still love this episode but it's my least fave, that's all.

And, considering that love is very important in life, I mean also friendship. I'm sorry if I cannot express myself very well but english isn't my mother linguage: that's why it's hard to express my feelings and opinions without being categorical.
    And I never said you couldn't do anything without a partner! It's good to feel loved and have a sexuality sometimes, but that doesn't mean you need a "partner" everytime! Sam has staid alone for 7 years! not 1 year or a few months... I just think it's more realistic to show her life outside the SGC.
    However, I agree with you: a whole episode focused on her lovelife wasn't necessary, and I wish Osiris' plot would have been more developped.
    I respect your opinion.
    I see so much negativity on sg1 fora, people complaining there is no Jack or too much Sam (Samgate...). But it's the last season, so why not just enjoying the episodes?
    It's not the fans who decide whever a character should be like this or like that: only the cast & writters can. It's their show, not ours.

I think we (the fans) are very passionate with the show and project ourselves (our personal situation, opinion, feelings) in it: so, when we identify ourselves to a character, its hard to see a character taking a desicision/choice that we wouldn't have taken at his place. I think I understand your point now.

Thank you very much: you make me question myself. I wish my post would be understandable...

Take care

Comment

Btw, You should be single for saying that there's people who are happy single.
      I suppose that comment isn't personal either? Honey, I am single. Oh, I suppose I should be crying. Sorry, I'm too happy.

I refer to some of RDA comments on the DVD extra.
      RDA said that the people who don't like Grace aren't as intelligent as the writers and producers? So, what, he's insulting the viewers? Because whoever said it, it still sounds like an insult.

But it's the last season, so why not just enjoying the episodes?
      Simple. The episodes have things I don't like. How can anyone force themselves to enjoy something? You either do or you don't, and it doesn't matter if it's the last season or not.

I said I dislike Enemy Mine but didn't say I hate this episode because season 7 sucks or because there's no Jack bla, bla, bla, bla... it's that I call complaining. I still love this episode but it's my least fave, that's all.
      So, saying you dislike an episode is fine, but once you actually give a reason, that's complaining? Sorry, but saying why isn't complaining. It's saying why. And, since it's a personal thing for each person, I don't think any reason is invalid. And, people don't have to like every episode. I don't mean even saying it's their least favorite, but they like it anyway. It's perfectly okay to totally hate an episode. Which is how I feel about Grace.
      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Dani347: Read all my post please. I'm sorry if you don't understand my humor: I'm not smarter than everyone here. I accept your opinion so accept mine.
        And don't quote my post and use sentences out of context... I made my mea culpa so don't attack me please.
        Btw, I dislike feeling hate against something or somebody, I prefer love... If I hate episodes or a whole season, why should I continue to watch the show or post in this forum?!

Comment

Dani347: Read all my post please. I'm sorry if you don't understand my humor: I'm not smarter than everyone here. I accept your opinion so accept mine.
          And don't quote my post and use sentences out of context...
          I read the entire post. I quoted the part I was responding to. I don't quote parts that aren't part of my response. That was what I learned to do when responding to a post. Quote the pertinent information. Sorry if that means taking things out of context. And, I wasn't attacking.

Anyway, I'm tired of this. So, back on topic. Grace is my least favorite of this season (and quite possibly the entire show) and Avenger 2.0. is my second least favorite. That one was just boring. Felger (that's his name right?) was annoying. I don't like either episode at all, and I completely hated Grace.
          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
            And, considering that love is very important in life, I mean also friendship. I'm sorry if I cannot express myself very well but english isn't my mother linguage: that's why it's hard to express my feelings and opinions without being categorical.
            And I never said you couldn't do anything without a partner! It's good to feel loved and have a sexuality sometimes, but that doesn't mean you need a "partner" everytime!
            Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that. If it is any consolation, your English was good enough that I didn't pick it up as being written by a non-English speaker to start with! Now I can see by the phrasing that you use that English isn't your first language.

I'm afraid that the choice of words you used did indeed make it seem very much like that was what you were saying! I'm very glad that it isn't the case. Thanks for taking the time to explain - it is always best to clear up misundestandings.

On another matter - earlier in your post you said:

I don't think anyone has written off an episode purely because it was in Season 7, and they've decided they didn't like Season 7. If anyone has done that, it would be a very small minority, and definitely not enough to say that people who don't like Grace are just 'complaining'. So I stand by what I said earlier - you haven't convinced me otherwise.

If someone says they don't like an episode or hated an episode because it had too little Jack in it, or too little ship, or too much ship, or not enough Daniel, or too much Daniel etc, then that's OK too - those are just opinions too, and everyone is entitled to them. Now if they go on and on about it ... well some people might see that as complaining, but without all the verbal and facial cues we use to convey meaning in real life it is too hard to tell. Look at the response people had to your post - all that arose from reading intent into your words that wasn't meant, it was simply that you don't have English as a first language.

And still, to label ALL people who say they don't like a particular episode as having the same reason for not liking that episode and saying they're ALL complaining - well again, you can see how that might get some people's backs up. I'm sure that you've not intended that at all, but anyone who has said they don't like Grace will now feel that you think they're nothing but a complainer, and that their opinion is worthless in your eyes. And that's why people can get upset.

Now with Chimera - well I did like that episode a lot. But the Osiris storyline was much bigger than they seemed to realise, and it really deserved a full episode on its own. We still don't know - how did Osiris get there? Where was her ship? Was she on her own? If she wasn't - and what goa'uld would travel without servants - where are they? Too many questions! And that bugs me enough to make it sometimes an episode I like and sometimes and episode I don't like!
            sigpic

Comment

GateGipsy: thank you. I thought everyone here begun to hate me...
              I agree with most of your last post.
              I was in a bad mood.
              And thank you for your complement: my english is not so bad after all!

I agree with you on Chimera: the Osiris plot deserved a whole episode but maybe we will learn more about Osiris/Sarah on Season 8... I really enjoy this character and the actress so I hope we'll see her more next season. She has so much potential with her goa'uld knowledge!
              In France, Grace & Fallout aired last friday, so I was very disapointed to see all those bad comment on the first one as I really enjoyed it. Chimera and Death Knell will air this friday and I can't wait to watch (again, this time in VF) the first one: the great god Osiris is returning, and the rivers of the Earth are running red with blood!
              OOps, I'm a bit offtopic... lol

Comment

It isn't an insult. I refer to some of RDA comments on the DVD extra. .
                For those of us in the US who don't get S7 DVDs and the extras for a while, would those fortunate ones who do have access to them please post the quotations when referring to them. It's a little extra work, I know, but it would be so nice to see the relevant quote.
                Slainte
                "There are many forms of power, my dear. Some more subtle than others." Linea to Captain Carter, Prisoners, S2.

Comment

Stargate: The Lowdown

Comment

Fallout.

It was boring if you ask me.
                    It took me forever to make this signature up.

I'm one fry sort of a happy meal!- Jack

Comment

Stargate: The Lowdown
                      OK I cant remember any comment from RDA about the intelligence (or not) of the audience in The Lowdown. I have skimmed though it again and couldnt find anything.

He certainly has not made any comment in the season 7 DVDs either regarding the episode of Grace and/or the viewers/audience in anyway.

Are you thinking of this comment he made on a season 4 DVD :- "I remember hearing that you have to dumb down material to meet the main stay audience, which I thought was one of the most offensive things I'd ever heard..............Thats ludicrous, give us all the benefit of the doubt if nothing else but certainly give us credit for being intelligent beings. There is intelligence in humour bring it up and maybe sow the seeds of a grander idea, by speaking in more loftier way or about loftier ideas. Dont dumb it down so a cow could understand it. That's not me."

I cant see how RDA is insulting the audience's here either. Is this the quote you mean, if not I would be very interested to hear of the quote that you are refering to.

Comment

Space Race

Avenger 2.0 (tolerable, and somewhat funny, but not very good)

Evolution 1 and 2 (because the super-soldier looks like the Masked Rider, and isn't all that threatening looking, and is just kinda unoriginal after the X-Files' play on the super-soldier genetic engineering thing)

Comment

Originally posted by dove0709
                          Are you thinking of this comment he made on a season 4 DVD :- "I remember hearing that you have to dumb down material to meet the main stay audience, which I thought was one of the most offensive things I'd ever heard..............Thats ludicrous, give us all the benefit of the doubt if nothing else but certainly give us credit for being intelligent beings. There is intelligence in humour bring it up and maybe sow the seeds of a grander idea, by speaking in more loftier way or about loftier ideas. Dont dumb it down so a cow could understand it. That's not me."

I cant see how RDA is insulting the audience's here either. Is this the quote you mean, if not I would be very interested to hear of the quote that you are refering to.
                          Yeah, that's it. And I never said RDA insulted the audience!!!
                          I explained myself in other posts... sorry if my post was a bit rude.

Comment

Thanks for posting that quote from RDA, it is nice to know that the silliness that he puts into Jack isn't an attempt to treat the audience as fools.

Still, I do feel that in behaving like a buffoon when he is The Hero, The Star, a character we are supposed to admire and hence consider worthy of emulation, he is dumbing down the show. He's presenting idiocy as a desireable trait, and I don't enjoy that.

Washing his mobile and being very late for a briefing cos of a crossword puzzle, that's supposed to be... what? Cool (- hey, I'm the Big Man and I can be as late as I want)? Amusing (- isn't it funny how I can act like a fourteen-year-old and get away with it)? Surreal (- the Airforce have accidentally hired Homer Simpson and no one has noticed)?

Jack *is* a brilliant leader and tactician. He seems ashamed though to admit to being intelligent or even competent. He is the person in whom the Asgard saw all of the potential and worth of the human race; but I'm jolly glad that SG-1 first met the Asgard in s2 cos if they'd met Jack for the first time just recently then it'd be 50/50 that they'd have been on the phone to the system lords within minutes to tell them Hey, there are some semi-intelligent beings over there who could benefit from a bit of slavery and domination.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                              Still, I do feel that in behaving like a buffoon when he is The Hero, The Star, a character we are supposed to admire and hence consider worthy of emulation, he is dumbing down the show. He's presenting idiocy as a desireable trait, and I don't enjoy that.
                              Amen. For all RDA's lofty claims about not dumbing things down, Jack sure seems to have been dumbed down from what he was in earlier seasons. If there's one thing guaranteed to irritate me, it's an intentionally stupid character. It's why I didn't like Felger in Avenger 2.0 and it's why I haven't enjoyed Jack for a couple of seasons, now.

If you ask me, there's a difference between hiding your intelligence and acting like a complete imbecile. Not only is the latter not fun for me to watch, but as you said, it sets a bad example. Intelligence is NOT a shameful quality.

It boggles me that the Asgard can think Jack is a shining example of the capabilities of humanity. I can't help but think, "They don't know him very well, do they?" I know intelligence isn't necessarily the end all, be all of existence, and I know Jack is smart in a lot of different ways, but I don't think we've seen much of that, especially not in recent years. I'd like to believe that Jack could be this wise and wonderful thing, but I can't accept it, not with what we've been given.

I always figured Jack was able to download the archive in Fifth Race because he had more empty space in his head than most people.

Comment

[QUOTE=Captain Amazing]What is your least favourite episode of Season 7?

there are a multitide of co-winners of this (dubious) distinction...

Grace & Chimera (chick flicks, not science fiction)...
                                Avenger (an hour of boring Carter worship)...
                                Fallout... (they just conveniently happen to have developed the very one and only bit of technology they need? Oiy)
                                Second half of Enemy Mine...
                                Space Race (derivative, trite,)...
                                one of the huge problems of S7 was it's over reliance on outside characters... instead of being about SG-1, we have huge portions of episodes devoted to the likes of Felger, Bregman, Warrick, the space race announcers, etc.... the show is still (I think) titled Stargate SG-1 not Stargate Someone....
                                Mary the Badger
                                "O'Neill is legendary." Loki
                                "Fire all weapons... sink the ship!" MtB

Comment

Working...
                                X