Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd have to go with Ressurection. The filming and everything was fine but the plot just seemed awfully unrealistic.

Comment

In my book, the worst is easily space race, but there are sooooo many bad ones that it'd be easier just to name the good ones (Orpheus and the Lost City are the only ones I can name right off the top of my head that were good enough to be mentioned, but both still had their problems).

Comment

season 7....

chimera.... without a doubt...

followed closely by inauguration, which *SHOULD* have had major davis back again but didn't!!!! plus it was a boring clipshow....

Comment

About a third of the episodes in S7 did nothing for me.

Fallout was just boring. I wasn't interested enough in the character of Jonas in S6 - which wasn't the fault of either character or actor. I just didn't think enough was done by TPTB to integrate him into SG1 and make him different and separate from the character of Daniel. He was shortchanged imo - and was bored by the episodes we spent on his planet then. So going back there in S7 was a hideous reminder of...dang, what's that one where his professor goes loopy? Bored me so much I can't even recall the name...anyway, that one.

Inauguration - another example of how not to do a clip show. Where you get the impression the writers thought they could slack off for a week and just not have a plot since it was a bunch of clips. "Hey, how are we going to link this bunch of clips together? Oh, I know, let's just put a few people in a room and give them a 'problem' to chew over endlessly and repeatedly, going around and around in meaningless circles and coming to no conclusion for a whole hour...until the final five minutes, when we'll wrap it all up and give them the answer..." Bleah!

Resurrection - seemed to me to just be a re-run of Menace and Menace did it waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. Especially when it came to the relationship between Daniel and the slightly weird teenage girl part. In Menace it was touching and poignant and enthralling to watch. In Resurrection - who cared?

I understand that this episode is such a mess because it was a plot that MS pitched some time previously which as time went on had all the 'good bits' weeded out of it and used in other episodes. Then they decided to go with what they had left. Bad plan imo. There wasn't enough left to make a decent episode and it should have been left in the 'good idea but never got off the ground' file.

There were other episodes that didn't quite hit the mark with me - Lifeboat, Space Race, Revisions - but they at least have their moments and bits of them I do enjoy. The three above just have no redeeming factors for me at all. Well...except maybe the teaser of Inauguration. You have to laugh at the new president's reactions to finding out there's a Stargate. LOL. After that though it went speediily downhill into snoozeland for this viewer.

Albion
          Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Albion, you summed it up nicely.
            Inauguration was a waste of time, I don't think I will watch it again. It made me cringe.
            Life is short. Eat dessert first.

Comment

Now this took me a while to think of. I actually quite liked season 7 as a whole, though I'm sure once i've got the season 7 boxset at the end of this month (yay!) then I may think differently, but here's the ones that stood out most to me, and I will admit, as someone who has seen 18 of the 20 episodes of season 8, some of my opinions are based on this but I won't spoil - I promise!

Avenger 2.0
              Felger was kinda funny in The Other Guys. But he was just useless here, it wasn't funny, it wasn;t clever and given his past I wouldn't understand why he would be given a direct link to the stargate nor why anyone would think that he was worth a whole episode. It's only redeeming feature - its necessity for Reckoning Pt.2

Space Race
              The only bit of this that was remotely funny was Daniel and Teal'c when they were 'trying not to get caught' in their stupid outfits. But to me, the episode had an air of ST: Voyager about it. It only attempted to become interesting with the 'conspiracyu' but even that wasn't really enough to hold my attention.

Inaugration
              A bad clip show. Disclosure and Citizen Joe did it better and at least had more of a story to them. The only reason for this episode was to tell us we had a new president and that Kinsey in an ass - one we could have been told in a couple of seconds, the other we already knew. This episode served as the presidents realisation that things might have to change and set up Weir and Jack for their big changes, which was all well and good, but it could have been the teaser of 'Lost City' and saved us all the pain of a very unimaginative episode.

I've been looking over other people's episodes and I have to admit although Resurrection isn't a fav, I love AT's direction in this episode and Dr Lee in general (they should use him more!).

As for Chimera. I'll proabbly be shot for saying I like the episode, though should probably add that I do have a dendency to skim through the Sam/Pete stuff as watching Daniel look a) rugged and b) in that nice tight white t-shirt cheers me up anytime.

Comment

Wow. A lot of people hated Space race. I thought it was great. It's one of the funnier ones. I just think a lot of people are taking it too seriously.
                I think it showed a new side to Carter and Teal'c.
                The whole thing really pokes fun at itself, and politics, and cliches, and corporate sponsorship, and competitive sports, and sports commentators. You just gotta bear that in mind when you watch it.
                You can't watch it and think 'This is SG-1. They went to another planet to enter a race. That's crap'.

Comment

I love AT's direction in this episode
                  Actually, that's one thing I did like about Resurrection. I thought AT's direction was imaginative and stylish. Thanks for the reminder.

You can't watch it and think 'This is SG-1. They went to another planet to enter a race. That's crap'.
                  Can if they want. It's called an opinion that differs from yours.

Here's my opinion of Space Race. I didn't find it left me cold for the majority of the hour because I took it way too seriously. I'm a huge fan of the less serious Stargate episodes and unlike many other fans, I really love The Other Guys, Avenger 2.0 and Wormhole Extreme. They're among my top favourite episodes, which I revisit often, especially when I need cheering up. I find Felger hilarious and in Avenger 2.0, they added a poignancy to his character which I really liked. The scene with Carter on the bridge is deeply moving for me.

Anyway, I digress. Space Race. I cringed at the newscaster segments. Humour is a very personal thing and what one guy finds funny another finds appallingly wince-inducing. I just found them wince-inducing and I skip over them every single time I play the episode. There were some character moments I really loved in this one:

• Daniel quizzing Sam on why she was volunteering and Sam's delight at getting to take part in the race
                  • Teal'c slyly getting out of going to the meeting and Sam helping him along (in fact that whole scene - love Jack's reactions to the technical manual too)
                  • Jack's 'What did I tell you about getting caught by the enemy?' (paraphrasing here as I haven't seen it in a while)
                  • Jack's conversation with the receptionist
                  • the tag with Sam and Daniel
                  • The conversation on the ship with Sam and Jack
                  • ...and some others.

Where it failed, for me, was that there was no sense of suspense or tension in the race itself. I wasn't on the edge of my seat, I never believed Sam was in any real danger – that aspect of it just fell flat. They kept *telling* us she was in danger and that this was a very dangerous race. But I never saw any of that on screen. And I think the comic element of the newscaster segments just reinforced that lack of tension. If they weren't taking the race or the danger seriously - why should the viewer?

I'm not usually one to compare shows, but for me Voyager did this plotline better with its own version of the space race.

Albion
                  Last edited by Albion; 15 February 2005, 06:00 AM.
                  Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I guess I just liked the newscaster bits cos they were so unbelievably cheesy and completely over the top. And the fact they always had an advert for tech con group at the end.

That made it funny for me, though I can see how others would disagree.

Comment

worst s7 eps. hmmm. resurrection, fragile balance and heroes part 1 (part two was awesome though)
                      ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

The one's whose titles I don't remember. Yeah...if they don't stick out, they weren't good enough for me. lol
                        thankee toasteronfire

Comment

My least favorite is Birthright, then Orpheus (the Teal'c episodes this season weren't all that good) and Ressurection.
                          May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

I'd have to say, Space Race and Orpheus

Comment

Working...
                            X