This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kes
    Of course they could have made it easy on themselves and just switched Pete out for Agent Barrett. He already knew about her life and they had some nice chemistry. I liked Pete (not sure what I'm doing in the anti-Pete thread ) but I can see Agent Barrett being a logical choice as Sam's boyfriend. He could have even been involved in trying to catch Osiris which would have been a nice way to bring him in.
    I've had this same thought! It would have been easy and I wouldn't have had a problem going along with it. No doubt because AT has really good on-screen chemistry with everyone.

I too like Pete. And as I'm more "for him" then "against him" I'll just add that I do think it would have been better if he had respected that classified meant classified.

Comment

This is really to ALL: I agree 100% that they have to address this issue with Sam and pete.
      I Just caught a scene in tonight's Judging Amy and the Stargate PTB (and AT) would do good to watch this one in relation to their handling of the pete/Sam thing. Amy, a strong, independent and intelligent character (sound familiar?) let David have it for walking out on her the morning after their first time together. I have not seen the ep previous to this but it was clear from the scene I saw that David and Amy had spent their first night together and then for some reason he left her and disappeared and did not call her. When he returned she let him have it and told him it was over. Amy also said to him that she could not let her daughter think that she would let someone treat her in the way David had!!!! Seems, IMO, to go right to the heart of why I think so many people on this forum may be disgruntled with how the pete/Sam nonesense was handled - made Sam look bad/weak/needy/foolish, as much as I hate to say that since I am a Sam fan (just a reminder too that I am not a J/S fan nor am I anti -J/S - I do not care if they get together but I do care about Sam's character and the dismantling of same by TPTB in this ep.)
      Well - just saw the end of Judging Amy and, thankfully, Amy sticks to her guns and doesn't fall back into David's arms - she simply tells David she is happy to be his friend and that's it - this Amy ep sooo reminded me of what pete did to Sam that it just got me all riled up again at the way Sam (the writers) let pete get away with treating her with so much disrespect both in leaving her that morning in his hissy fit and for all the other things he did. If Amy can stick-up for herself and tell David that it's over and that she's darn mad at him for what he did then the strong, independent, intelligent Sam Carter should also be able to see the error of pete's ways and do the same for her own self-repsect.
      Damn this ep of SG1 really ticked me off - TPTB better get real about this crap! I know its only TV but with all the talking from cast and crew about how they were playing Carter in reality last season (AT in interviews about how a lot of women go through that question of "did I make the right choices in life etc.", so we wanted to show Carter going through that too, yada, yada, yada.) If they want to couch the personal life of a character in real-life then they better make sure they handle all of it that way and not leave this huge hole sitting out there - just my opinion.
      Edited to add - BTW this Amy ep was written by a woman, directed by a woman and there are three (count'em 3) female Executive Producers, including Amy Brenneman. Take that for what its worth but seems to me, IMO, this ep of SG1 in particular may not have turned out so very bad if there had been a woman's voice heard in the wilderness of Bridge.
      Last edited by binkpmmc; 12 May 2004, 03:58 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

i've just briefly skimmed over this thread again, and something sort of jumped out at me (especially in the first page or so). some people seem to be confusing a dislike of pete with an automatic liking for the sam/jack relationship. as far as i'm concerned, that has nothing to do with petes character. doesn't interfere with it. i don't like pete because of who he is, not because of who he's not.
        shipperahoy posted her thoughts on the emotional process (for lack of a better term) of watching chimera.
        Originally posted by shipperahoy
        Originally Posted by Shipperahoy
        I don't want Pete to die a horrible death or turn out to be evil or anything dramatic like that. I don't *hate* Pete I just don't like the way the character was written. I would be happy if he just quietly ceased to be part of the show. No big dramatic storyline just Sam saying that it didn't work out.

Spoilers Chimera
        I liked Pete at first. When he left her in bed the morning after I thought "O.k. well that was immature but guys make mistakes." When he did the background check I thought "Well, that seem out of line but I guess it can be seen as concern for her safety." But then his FBI friend told him point blank that she was involved in some high level government stuff and that he should just back off but then he still follows her to work and the stake-out. That just crossed the line from concerned to somewhat obsessive with me.
        thats pretty much how i felt, except i had a slightly more exreme reaction to his leaving her the morning after.
        i don't think the sam/jack "relationship" even enters into the equation here. i don't like him because he was disrespectful, (in my view) slightly condescending, and acted very immaturely ( and not in the good way). now if he comes back and he has changed, fine. i still don't think he deserves sam, just for the way he treated her in chimera though.

Comment

Agree with you 100% - my dislike of pete has nothing to do with the J/S relationship - pete was just bad for Sam plain and simple, IMO, for all the reasons you state and for all of the reasons I have stated previously in this thread and in the original thread on the Gateworld forum. You have put it very clearly and concisely.
          I do not agree, though, that it would be fine if he comes back and has changed because I think they have to show Sam let pete have it for being such an a$$. I also think Jack needs to reprimand him as well. They need to show both on screen so those fans of Sam who are disgusted by Sam's acceptance of this behaviour see it. Sam needs to stick-up for her self-respect and pete needs to apologize to really show he acknowledges what he did across the board in the second-half of the episode was inappropriate and disrespectful. Until those things happen I will not be able to accpet pete nor,and I hate to say this, will I be able to see the Carter character as the strong, independent and intelligent character she has been for so many years.
          One of the reasons I posted earlier about the "Judging Amy" episode from the other night was because what David did to Amy was almost exactly the same as one of pete's transgressions against Sam (the part where pete left Sam the mornng after). When David walked out on Amy the next morning Amy did not stand for it because it is a very disrespectful way to behave towards anyone (never mind all of pete's other transgressions in the Chimera). When David returned Amy told him it was over because he cannot treat people the way he did - why should Sam stand for it?
          Last edited by binkpmmc; 13 May 2004, 03:41 PM. Reason: correct mistake

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
            Agree with you 100% - my dislike of pete has nothing to do with the J/S relationship - pete was just bad for Sam plain and simple, IMO, for all the reasons you state and for all of the reasons I have stated previously in this thread and in the original thread on the Gateworld forum. You have put it very clearly and concisely.
            thank you. i liked your post too, which i read just after i posted mine, so i couldn't comment on it then
            Originally posted by binkpmmc
            I do not agree, though, that it would be fine if he comes back and has changed because I think they have to show Sam let pete have it for being such an a$$. I also think Jack needs to reprimand him as well. They need to show both on screen so those fans of Sam who are disgusted by Sam's acceptance of this behaviour see it. Sam needs to stick-up for her self-respect and pete needs to apologize to really show he acknowledges what he did across the board in the second-half of the episode was inappropriate and disrespectful. Until those things happen I will not be able to accpet pete nor,and I hate to say this, will I be able to see the Carter character as the strong, independent and intelligent character she has been for so many years.
            what i meant there was that i would have no problem with pete coming back AFTER sam dumps him. however i think its too late for HER to call him on walking out on her like that. however! its not too late for Teal'c to find out about it and give him a severe talking to although. I CANNOT BELIEVE she didn't dump him JUST for that alone!!!
            i think his character could have some advantages in a non boyfriend capacity.
            i think they also need to find out that he did not find SG-1 on they're stakeout by chance. that he was actually up to no good. then he needs to get a severe reprimand for that.
            pete needs to acknowledge that he was wrong in oh so many ways, then change as a result of that knowledge.
            sams emotional stupidity really showed through, as did her desperate need to be loved at all costs, in chimera. the fact that she let him away with walking out like a spoilt child allowed HERSELF to feel bad, as if it were her fault because he couldn't understand that some military work is classified, just irked me.
            i don't think it deminishes her character THAT much. i think it makes her more human, helps to dispel that supersam crap that bothers some people.
            and in some ways i think it helps people relate to sam more.
            One of the reasons I posted earlier about the "Judging Amy" episode from the other night was because what David did to Amy was almost exactly the same as one of pete's transgressions against Sam (the part where pete left Sam the mornng after). When David walked out on Amy the next morning Amy did not stand for it because it is a very disrespectful way to behave towards anyone (never mind all of pete's other transgressions in the Chimera). When David returned Amy told him it was over because he cannot treat people the way he did - why should Sam stand for it?
            man i have got to start watching that show. its got Lacey in it FCOL! (or cagney... i forget which is which )
            Last edited by stargate barbie; 13 May 2004, 04:02 PM. Reason: more ranting

Comment

**SPOILERS FOR SEASONS 7+8.**
              I don't like Pete Shanahan for several reasons.I'm not impressed by his behaviour during Chimera as I found him to be, at first, charming and funny.Then, later, rather sinister, potentially.

Normally I don't "Ship" for any of the characters on Stargate SG-1, and I try to be fair in my opinions, and judgements, of the stories and developments .

Anyway,as the episode wore on, I found his behaviour appalling, as he was written and played as the Stereotypical "Overbearing Partner"!

First of all, he was obviously highly attracted to Sam,and she to him.Obviously Sam isn't normally easily taken in by guys' patter,but her brother seemed to be a close friend of Pete,and had a hand in introducing them.I saw it as a case of her letting her guard down for once and enjoying herself ,with a seemingly very upfront,rather romantic man who wasn't a threat.

Then "Bam",they have a post- coital chat and he tells her some of his background.All right,IMO, up to the point where he marches out in a major pout,because she can't tell him HER full story.Then the background check etc etc yadda yadda begins......Magically he appears in the middle of the already bungled stakeout,and throws himself into the fray.

Then to cap an already very strange story,he ends up being told everything about the Stargate Programme.Why would he deserve that high a clearance?
              Or did the word "Classified" suddenly mean nothing at all to Hammond, and everyone else at the SGC?

All this hashed contrivance did for me, was to make Pete into a sad joke of a future partner for Sam.I think the blame should be laid on the weak and inconsistent writing of Pete.Is the character to blame,really? I don't know!
              I'll try to watch Season 8 fairly and keep faith that this character may improve. No great optimism at the prospect though!

I'd like to state that Sam is still my favourite character and a few little lapses of her usual, unflappably cool judgement, won't make me like her any less.I've still faith in her capabilities on the team and don't see Pete as any threat!
              Just a mistake. A very humanising one, IMO!

I hope no-one on this thread is too offended by my POV.My real problem is that I'm neither a Shipper for Sam/Jack, nor am I Anti- Sam/Jack enough to feel comfortable on either of those threads!!
              I do however,see no point in lying about my own views, just to "Fit in".

I wish that Chimera had focussed more on what I noticed:Just exactly what was stopping Osiris and/or Anubis from simply ringing down with an invasion force or just sending down a Naquada Bomb and blowing the SGC away?
              Also: why didn't Osiris just ring Daniel up and away for her to extract any info she liked at her own sweet convenience?
              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

hey F.H.BAGPUSS.
                i think you are totally right. in season 4s "the curse" daniels former friend steven saw about as much as pete did, and they just told him some cover story. i think they told pete about the SCG because he wouldn't fall for a cover story. maybe they saw it as damage control. which leaves me even more confused as to why sam didn't dump him.
                sam is definitely one of my fave characters.
                i had a huge problem with the fact that as a cop, he couldn't tell his wife about some of the stuff he did at work, and yet he wouldn't accept the same thing from sam, who is military.

i don't see how anyone could be offended by your post. it seemed very well thought out.

there seemes to be quite a few people around who don't care one way or the other about sam/jack ship. if you don't see how that relationship will affect the show if its handled correctly, then why not start your own thread expressing your views. we already have a s/j shipper thread and an anti-shipper thread. why not have an i don't care either way thread? (hope i'm not overstepping my boundries here with this suggestion) or you could hang out on the ship thread where no particular pairing is prefered.
                Last edited by stargate barbie; 13 May 2004, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Hi Stargate Barbie!
                  Thanks for your friendly reply!
                  Have to say I do take pains to think out my replies.I really don't want to be unfair,and go all foamy!(So undignified,IMO!)The only problem is ,that it takes me ages to type out my longer posts, as I tend to censor myself in an eternal effort to make sense.

I like the serious threads but the lighter topics are great fun too!

Back on Topic: I so agree with you about the cover story they told Steven in The Curse v full disclosure in Pete's case! Police officers are trained to be suspicious,and to be wary of people in case there's a crime being committed or fraud afoot.Steven was an archaeologist and would be trained in a less potentially paranoid mind- set,IMO.
                  Ho-Hum ! So many possibilities!

Still don't like Pete,though,or at least the way he's been written!

You've set me thinking about starting a thread. Great idea and no,you're not overstepping any boundaries, but I'll have to sleep on the ideas I've got for a theme!
                  (I'd thought of calling it "The Neutral Zone" but I think that might cause some confusion with Star Trek! Either that or some posters on certain diff threads might think I've thrown down the Gauntlet for a fight... )

Comment

ok bagpuss. i'm having a thought here.
                    how about we set up a ship free zone. where we can talk about anything stargate as long as nobody starts *****ing about how ship is ruining the show or how not enough ship is ruining the show. (for the record i am not criticising either side), where we can talk about what ever we liked or disliked about the show, without it dissolving into an argument about ship. everyone is welcome as long as they are respectful?

just to stay on topic. i don't like pete. he's a big juvinille, moody, shallow, bad boyfriend, who stalks for gods sake!!!

Comment

No one should be offended by your POV, you stated your opinions in a very matter of fact way and I, for one, am pleased to see your post as I am also not a J/S shipper nor am I anti-J/S - I just do not care either way. I am, however, a Sam fan and I totally disliked pete and the way he behaved because of the complete disrepsct he showed Sam in the second-half of this episode. I do not wish him dead or hurt just gone.
                      As someone in an earlier post said, and as I have said in previous posts, put Sam with Barrett - they have chemistry and he's cute (and alive) and already knows all about the SGC and what Sam does so we do not have to be subjected to any of this other contrived nonesense TPTB come up with in relation to Sam's love life (which, BTW, I would prefer to see less, or none of, in S8 so we can see more action and adventure and more of the team together).

Comment

Spoilers for Season 7: Chimera, Death Knell, Heroes I & II
                        Spoilers for Season 8: Affinity
                        Being a big Sam fan, I was really looking forward to the arc that they intended to develop for her in season 7. I couldn't wait to see how she would deal with this "what if? and who am I?" portion of her life. AT, the writers, the producers all said some very insightful things about what was to come for Sam in season 7. And, for the most part, it was handled well. Grace was lovely and opened the door for everything else which was to follow. We saw the emotional test in Heroes and the physical test in Death Knell and both were well handled. The romantic/personal part could have been every bit as insightful if it had been handled half as well. What was supposed to be an episode focusing on Sam questioning whether a life outside the SGC is possible for her, instead ended up focusing on a poorly written character in a badly written episode with so many plot holes that it ended up a joke. I want Pete gone purely for the fact that he has generated so much attention. He should have been merely a device to show us a transition in Sam's life. Here today, gone tomorrow. Sounds like they are going to handle Sam's concerns about a personal life much better in a few paragraphs of dialogue with her teammates in season 8's Affinity than they were able to do in the whole Chimera episode with Pete. Even if they tweek him, the longer they keep Pete around, the more Sam begins to look like a stereotypical female character. I don't want to see housekeeping Sam. I want science Sam! I want soldier Sam! Heck, I'll even take Super Sam again! I expected changes for Sam. I just don't want to see her written backwards after 7 seasons thanks to the invention of a character written like Pete.

Comment

Get Pete taken by a Goa'uld and turned into a host, then we can shoot him, repeatedaly, with the largest weapons avaiable to the SGC. (Now where did Teal'c put that glider gun?)

Comment

Can't remember if I put my vote in there!!!!!!!..so just in case..

I'm agaisnt Pete..he 's just a decoy to push Sam & Jack closer together

And I' sticking to my idea

Caty aka ShipDiva

Comment

As i said in the s/j shipper post he should die by a fleet of angry squirrels with acorns....then i would be happy
                              xXBekXx
                              Beware of the evil bunnie wabbits!
                              I'm not weird, I'm obscure!
                              Hello Kitty wocks!

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                                ok bagpuss. i'm having a thought here.
                                how about we set up a ship free zone. where we can talk about anything stargate as long as nobody starts *****ing about how ship is ruining the show or how not enough ship is ruining the show. (for the record i am not criticising either side), where we can talk about what ever we liked or disliked about the show, without it dissolving into an argument about ship. everyone is welcome as long as they are respectful?

just to stay on topic. i don't like pete. he's a big juvinille, moody, shallow, bad boyfriend, who stalks for gods sake!!!
                                Hi! Been there and started the ball rolling! Thanks for your support!
                                If I end up getting some flak...tough. I can take it!(I think )

On Gen Disc. Board. "The SG-1 Neutral Zone". Remembered the Spoiler warnings for S6,7and 8,so that should save everyone Spoiler Danger!

I decided to make the theme "Non-Ship and also Non- Hate Figure" to keep it fair and lessen, ( I hope!) the Back Door option of anyone posting in the new thread and getting a flaming.Fingers Crossed.

Still don't like Pete but I'll keep that here!

Comment

Working...
                                X