This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
    We're used to it! After all the interviews AT used to give saying that she didn't want a romance between Sam and Jack and didn't want to end up Jack's girl, after we spent years happily watching a show where none of the main characters seemed to feel a need to distract us from the SF and the adventure by gazing longingly at each other, after really enjoying the platonic and professional relationship Jack had with Sam, after various PTB have told us that there would be no more ship after episode X, or that episode Y exists to put an end to ship... well we're used to not getting what we thought we'd been promised or what we wantedto see or what we once fell in love with the show for
    That's....that's....that's...really sad

I've never heard any of that said except for AT saying she doesn't want Sam to become "Jack's girl", but though I've been watching since season 1, I've only been in the online fandom for.....a year? Almost a year.

Sounds like they just like tugging our chains...shippers and non-shippers alike. They probably think they are just keeping us guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
      I think they were trying to go with "The nice guy, who Sam will decide isn't for her", and that's the route I'd like to see it go, but right now it looks a lot more like "the cloying bf" to me.

I also believe they were trying to go the "nice guy, but not Jack" route. I honestly just think it was sloppy writing, which I is why I've given Pete the benefit of the doubt. I can't believe they really intended to portray Pete as Sam's stalker boyfriend, who then gets told all about the SGC.

I think they wanted to give AT a change of pace (actors get bored too) and introduce a little arc for Sam. I don't know, maybe the rushed schedule, writing and shooting episodes so quickly this year didn't give them the time they needed to think these things through. I was listening to the commentary for Fragile Balance the other night and it seemed it hadn't occurred to them that fans might think the ending was a little icky.
      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by prion
        The show isn't about 'ship'. it's about action/adventure/drama and going through the gate, not who kisses who. The producers frankly don't care about fan factions and write what they want to, or what they're told to write by the folks who hold the money. Since Scifi wants the 18-49 male demographic, writing 'ship' isn't going to draw in the guys.
        I agree, The show isn't/shouldn't be about 'ship it should be about the adventures that the team goes on and the gate, and blowing stuff up. That said I'm very much inside that 18-49 male target audience and this guy doesn't mind a side of 'ship every now and again.
        ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
        The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

My biggest problem with this whole pete thing is that they were couching the relationship, and Sam's personal life in general, in reality (AT said so in several interviews for last season). If they wanted it to be believable, especially to Sam fans who are not looking at the S/p relationship as a threat to the J/S ship or as an end to the J/S ship, then they should have made Sam's reactions real-life and in character (remember that strong, independent, intelligent character we knew as Sam) - IMO as a Sam fan, her reactions to pete's behaviour were more sci-fi scary than some of their enemies have been because it was, to me, so out of character to the Sam I have seen for so many years. (It does not help that they, including AT, are further debasing/demeaning Sam's character by trying to say she did not know what pete did. Set aside the FBI check which I'll give on and maybe she did not know about that - how could they seriously think that all the of the Sam fans would accept that Sam did not know the instant she saw him at the stakeout that he follwed her? How the heck else did he show up there? Just passing by and recognized the van so he decided to stay the night spying with his night vision binocs and then approach the van next morning? IMO this is a very sorry excuse for them to be using for not addressing this huge hole. I think that TPTB totally miscalculated how many of the fans would react to pete's behaviour and now they are reaching for any excuse they can find and it just hurts the Sam character even more. (I am very disappointed in AT for buying into this excuse after all of times she has said over the years how proud she is of the character and how much she has tried to make Sam a strong, independent and intelligent character who is a role model.)
          Basically my dislike ( and I do not wish him dead or hurt - just gone) of pete boils down to the fact that I believe you cannot tell someone you love them out of one-side of your mouth and then mistrust them to such a degree that you totally disrespect them by walking out in a hissy fit the morning after spending your first night together, calling the FBI to get a background check, following them without their knowledge and then showing up and jeopardizing a confidential stakeout and expect that they will not get angry at the disrespect you have shown them (and IMO you cannot use the "I love you and I did this because I care and wanted to make sure there was nothing bad going on" as an excuse to your behaviour either - IMO it's completely hypocritical to say you love someone and then mistrust them the way pete mistrusted Sam.)
          I work quite strange hours sometimes (18-20 hours a day during a crisis or large project) and have had to fly off places sometimes for weeks at a time and I would not expect to be, nor would I accept being, treated the way Sam was treated by pete just because I did not tell him every detail of my life - especially after dating for only a few weeks, perhaps a month at most, IMO, it defies reality. If someone does not trust me enough to accept that my job requires certain things of me and it is confidential in nature than there is a serious problem - at least in my view.
          It seems, at least to me, that all of this started because pete did not get his way when he asked Sam to tell him more about her job so he walked out on her in a hissy fit that morning - seems to me that's where the immaturity of the pete character kicked in and, IMO, led him way off the path of "I'm such a nice, normal, regular guy". After reading a lot of the posts having to do with pete it seems to me that many fans, including some of the J/S shippers, accepted the pete shown in the first half of this episode and thought he was a pretty good guy - it's the second-half pete that many seem to have turned against. She did not tell him everything about her life because she couldn't, not because she wouldn't, and it's too bad that TPTB didn't write him as mature enough to accept that -there are so many ways they could have addressed this and, IMO, they just screwed it up for Sam's character.

Comment

I just listened to the commentary for "Chimera" (by Director Will Waring, Director of Photography Peter Woeste and Writer Damien Kindler). Spoilers for Chimera

I don't know if they originally intended for Pete to be perceived this way but they seemed amused about the whole "Pete the stalker" thing.

* First during the scene when Pete gets the call back from his FBI buddy and is outside Sam's house, watching her leave, they comment:
            " Nothing like being stalked by the guy you're dating, so modern, so romantic" (laughter)

*Again during the scene at the end of the episode, when Sam visits Pete they talk about Pete coming back in season 8 and comment:
            "The episode is tentatively titled "Pete comes back and is still a really nice guy"....(laughter).....and he's no longer a stalker. Pete The Stalker, Part Two" (more laughter)

The commentary was lighthearted, it was clear they all really liked David DeLuise, talked about how funny he was and that he and AT had a lot of chemistry. But after hearing this there is no way I think Sam will end up with Pete.....I think the S/J shippers can rest easy.

Fun factoid:
            *Sam's dress she wore to the dance was actually AT's dress....a Betsy Johnson originally worn by AT to the Leo awards (I feel like Joan Rivers!)
            *Sam's Volvo is really AT's car (new, she loves it!)
            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Like I said, TPTB are just as anti-Pete as some of the fans here. My guess is they'll be handing out nails at Pete's crucifixion.

Comment

First off do you ever sleep Shadow?

Secondly, I don't think that TPTB intended for Pete to come off as a stalker to some people or for him to be in any way unlikable (is that a word?) but I don't think that they intended for him to be anything more than a transitional man or a romantic foil for the Sam/Jack relationship and thus didn't bother to make him more than a 2 dimensional character. It's hard to really warm to a character when you know that he's nothing more than a bump in the road.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                  First off do you ever sleep Shadow?
                  My sister gave me her Bavarian Yak Flu or whatever it was. So I've been very sick and very tired and very unable to eat or sleep for a few days. I'm doing better now, tho. If I could just get some real and non nightmare-haunted sleep.

I dunno about TPTB. I'd like to give them the benefit of a doubt and think they're just sloppy inconsiderate writers, but... sometimes I have my suspicions.

Comment

What no vomiting gif?

(off to go look up Bavarian Yak flu)

And yeah, TPTB are a shifty bunch. You just never know. Although I'm fond of JM mostly because he takes the time out of his busy schedule to communicate with us peons.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

The commentary was lighthearted, it was clear they all really liked David DeLuise, talked about how funny he was and that he and AT had a lot of chemistry. But after hearing this there is no way I think Sam will end up with Pete.....I think the S/J shippers can rest easy.
                      So, they just wasted a bunch of people's time. Meh. Par for the course, these days.
                      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

well he may be slightly questionable, but hopefully the ptb will resolve those issues in s8.

whoever believes thats utter bull put up your hands

*raises hand*

Comment

Originally posted by avatar
                          http://www.gateworld.net/news/episod...84390319,54135

David DeLuise returns as Samantha Carter's boyfriend in multiple episodes in Season 8.

________

AHHH!! AH!!! NO!!! In MULTIPLE episodes? Why are they doing that? *dies*
                          Pete Needs to Die...how about Agent Barrett?
                          Causality should not be taken lightly.

Comment

Why is everyone so bitter? I understand that it's a good show, and that we all want to see it go in the right direction, but COME ON... Lighten up, you know?

First of all, let's see... what shall I say?

I like David DeLuise - I said that before.
                            I like his character - I said that before, as well.
                            I agree with the concept that Mr. Shanahan came off as... odd. Odd, odd, odd.
                            I'm a Sam/Jack shipper, but if I absolutely had to concede, it'd be to Agent Barrett, or... Teal'c. That's right, I said it. Teal'c. I'm weird that way. You see, they waited so long to show a friendship between Sam and Teal'c, that I now am forced to smother the little inklings I get when it comes to seeing something other than FRIENDship. *Sigh* As a S/J shipper, however, I still think that T and Sam make good friends. Finally!

Also, for those who think that the show is not focusing on aliens enough, or that Sam is becoming a "sniveling whatsit, with no..." whatever floats your boat, this is my response:

I think it's interesting that a show can still capture our attention after delving into the relationships and HUMANITY of the main characters. I know that aliens are cool and that that is the premise of the show (at least in the beginning), but still... I read somewhere that the show is becoming too expensive, so they're going to go the "smaller route" and make smaller eps that focus on the characters.
                            But think about it: After nearly 8 years of dealing with crap that no other human has had to deal with, wouldn't it be remiss of the writers to NOT show that the characters are relateable (is that a word?), real, and fallible human beings? I, for one, like character development, and since it's the end of the series, new/old aliens mixed with great special effects, plus continued character development is awesome.
                            Also, I don't think anyone should expect any of the characters to walk away from this "experience," so to speak, without a little bit of emotion (this is for the Sam-haters. ), because honestly, all of SG-1's characters are first and foremost humans, and THEN they're heroes.

Comment

Also, I don't think anyone should expect any of the characters to walk away from this "experience," so to speak, without a little bit of emotion (this is for the Sam-haters. ), because honestly, all of SG-1's characters are first and foremost humans, and THEN they're heroes.
                              And, for at least three seasons (maybe 4, although my memory is the strongest of the first three) Sam showed human emotions. Singularity (which I consider to be the best Sam episode) she shared a bond with Cassie. Secrets, she had an emotional scene when Jacob said he had cancer. In the Line of Duty (I think) she connected with Jolinar at the end, and was pretty despondent over that. She cried watching Daniel going nuts in Legacy. So, it's not like she's spent all that time being some unemotional robot, while Stargate spent all their time focusing on aliens. But, she was also a strong woman, whose entire worth and happiness didn't revolve around finding someone to love (which she always had -three teammates, a father, Janet, etc).

It doesn't work to say people hate Sam because she's human now or shows emotions, because she has never been anything but. Only now, it's gone overboard.
                              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                                It doesn't work to say people hate Sam because she's human now or shows emotions, because she has never been anything but. Only now, it's gone overboard.

I guess I'm just a little confused as to WHICH eps she went overboard this season. Got any examples?

Comment

Working...
                                X